Zero2Cool
13 years ago
http://packersnews.greenbaypressgazette.com/article/20100911/PKR01/100911038/Low-key-Jennings-lets-his-game-speak-for-itself 

Greg Jennings is not a household name and he doesnt care.

Hes the No. 1 receiver in one of the top offenses in the NFL on a Super Bowl contender, at that but receives little national attention.

Jennings still doesnt care.

Hes never been selected for the Pro Bowl.

Nope. Doesnt care. (Mostly).

Blame Greg Jennings. The senior. (Or maybe, thank him.)

The elder Jennings is a pastor at Progressive Deliverance Ministries in Kalamazoo, Mich. and raised four kids in the church with the same mantra.

If youre going to complain about doing something, dont do it, said Jennings, describing his fathers lessons. If he tells you to go clean this up and youve got to complain about it, Look, look, look. I dont need you to complain about it. Just get it done.

That was the mindset we took. You want to complain? Everybody can complain.

Jennings learned back then what complaining would get him.

His parents werent just going to let him and his three sisters run wild. Why complain?

Dreams of playing college ball at the University of Michigan disappeared at the last minute. Why complain?

Jennings is an inch shy of 6-feet and doesnt have blazing speed. Why complain?

Jennings simply went about his business at Western Michigan and left in 2006 as the most prolific receiver in school history. He started 11 games as a Packers rookie and has never started less than 13 games since. In just four seasons, Jennings ranks No. 12 in team history with 3,957 yards.

But outside of Wisconsin, Jennings is just another good player.

If I can fly under the radar and not be that guy when they mention receivers, it doesnt bother me at all, Jennings said, because I know once I go out there on Sundays and Mondays, Im going to put my best foot forward and theyll see that 8-5 can play.

Thats the way Ive always gone about it. I dont have to speak on myself. Its about going out there and putting your work out there for everyone to see and letting it speak for itself.

That characteristic isnt exactly common at that position in a league where two Cincinnati Bengals receivers have their own VH1 television shows. However, it is a perfect fit in Green Bay.

The Packers have so much talent in the passing game Donald Driver, Jermichael Finley, James Jones, Jordy Nelson that diva-like behavior wouldnt exactly fit.

One thing Ive learned and seen about him is, hes not that type of guy, said Driver, who occupies the locker to the right of Jennings. Hes all about sharing. Thats one thing you have to have, you have to have love between one another. We have so many great receivers that we have in our locker room and hes one of them that can bring so much out of all the other guys that are young. They see how he came in, and this is the way its been and its not going to change. That comes from his background.

Hes a man. Hes a man of God. When you see a man of God move that way, it makes everyone around him move the same way.

Putting it plainly, Jennings is a pretty simple guy. He goes to work every day and tries to make the most of his natural abilities. Afterwards, Jennings goes home to wife Nicole and daughters Amya, 3, and Alea, 1. A third child is due in December. He does the normal dad things, like picking Amya up from karate class.

No hanging out. No late nights.

My parents brought that to the table at an early age, Jennings said. Brought up in the church, no foolishness. Wasnt ridiculously strict, but was definitely a strict upbringing. Couldnt do everything every other kid did. At the same time, morals and values they instilled in the four of us helped us become great human beings.

None of us has ever been in trouble with the law. Better not be. Even now. We hold each other accountable.

As regular-guy as Jennings seems, hes still a prideful man. He takes pride in the details of playing football. Jennings doesnt complain about touches; his receptions dropped from 80 in 2008 to 68 in 2009, but he does want the ball.

Jennings is no longer obsessed with reaching the Pro Bowl something that changed after he was left out despite posting 920 yards and 12 touchdowns in 2007 and 1,292 yards and nine touchdowns in 2008.

Im not going to lie to you, I used to want it a lot more than I do now, Jennings said. My second year, I really thought it was a possibility I could make the Pro Bowl. Third year, same thing. After those two years and not making it, being the first alternate, it was like Im playing the game for the wrong reason. Of course you play the game for your team. It feels good when you can get recognized by your peers. Thats what its all about, as far as the Pro Bowl is concerned. At the same time, I had to realize theres no greater reward than Gods reward.

I look at it from a different standpoint now. Would I enjoy making the Pro Bowl, of course, hands down. But I dont come into a season going, man this is the year Im going to the Pro Bowl. Not anymore. It was a maturation process.

Jennings mentioned that he doesnt plan to be eligible to play in the Pro Bowl this year, anyway. The Packers hope to be in Dallas playing for the Super Bowl.

Im not sure its all that important to him, Packers receivers coach Jimmy Robinson said. He wants to be respected. Im sure he wants to be talked about. But I dont think he lives and dies with what people are saying about him.

Around here, we just all kind of go about our business and if they overlook us, then fine. If we sneak up on them, all the better.

When pressed to talk about himself, Jennings simply says the film speaks for itself. He tells a story about playing at Kalamazoo Central High School and trying to deflect attention away from himself and towards teammates.

On the football field, Jennings just is who he is.

Im blessed with what Im blessed with, Jennings said. Everyone has something unique about them. I feel like with me and my situation, Im 5-foot-11 but theres certain tangibles that I bring to the table that other guys may not be able to. I may not be the tallest receiver, but when the balls in the air, Im going to get it. Im not the fastest guy to ever play receiver, but I can stretch the field. Dont claim to be the best route-runner, but take pride in running the best routes.

I hold myself to certain standards that supersede anybody elses expectations.

What Jennings will expound on is his spirituality. A lot of people will interject faith in a conversation or a response because it seems like the right/humble thing to do, but Jennings is genuine about it. The subject flows naturally, not forced.

His plans upon retirement (one day)?

Be somewhere in the church ministering, helping my dad out, Jennings said. Doing something with the ministry. I dont know where. I dont know when.

Until then Im just going to stay on the straight and narrow and do what he tells me to do.

And if that doesnt equal a whole lot of national fanfare, Jennings is just fine with that too.

UserPostedImage
Dexter_Sinister
13 years ago
Jennings was at the Touchdowns for Hope. His foundation is going to donate a thousand per TD to the House of Hope. They are a resource for unwed young mothers to get the skills they need to get off the system.

Greg and his wife helped organize the event and raised over 50K so far. They are also taking pledges from people to contribute or match the Jennings gifts.

Rodgers, Mathews, Hawk, Driver, Crosby and Collins were also in attendance.

I got to talk to Greg and his wife a bit. I also met Hawk, Driver and Rodgers. I think Greg wins the most decent human being contest of the group. I think that is saying a lot.
I want to go out like my Grandpa did. Peacefully in his sleep.
Not screaming in terror like his passengers.
Zero2Cool
13 years ago
House of Hope assisted the girl I'm seeing many years ago. If I tell her about this, she'll probably steal my Greg Jennings jersey.
UserPostedImage
Dexter_Sinister
13 years ago
My wife is on the board over there. We volunteered to help out. It was a blast.

My wife said to remind everyone they are still taking pledges.
http://www.houseofhopegb.org 

Here is an article from ch 11

http://www.fox11online.com/dpp/news/Greg-Jennings-donates-money-for-touchdowns-this-NFL-season 
I want to go out like my Grandpa did. Peacefully in his sleep.
Not screaming in terror like his passengers.
IronMan
13 years ago
$1,000 foe every touchdown. Wow. That $50,000 will help a lot of people.
peteralan71
13 years ago
That is pretty outstanding. I love to hear stories like this, to remind us that they are people, not just individuals who catch touchdowns and give us a reason to color-coordinate every Sunday (if not more often). The best part is that they recognize that they are leaders to the community, and they use it to point people in the right direction, to help others who are in need. Kudos to Jennings and the bunch!
Green Bay: Home of the Green & Gold. And the hunter orange. And the camouflage.
UserPostedImage
El3ment12
13 years ago
He will be a household name eventually. (which I guess that means being talked about a lot on espn??) I just jope he stays in GB. He's a great guy and player.
Fan Shout
dfosterf (9h) : Maybe
Mucky Tundra (10h) : Yes
Zero2Cool (11h) : No.
Mucky Tundra (13h) : End of a Degu-era
dhazer (14h) : Steelers sign Patterson because of new kickoff rule interesting
Zero2Cool (16h) : Former #Packers TE Josiah Deguara is signing a 1-year deal with the Jaguars, per source.
Zero2Cool (17h) : They do not do it for "content sake".
dfosterf (28-Mar) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (27-Mar) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (27-Mar) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Against tbd
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (27-Mar) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (27-Mar) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (27-Mar) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
5h / Around The NFL / beast

10h / Green Bay Packers Talk / buckeyepackfan

28-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

28-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.