Nonstopdrivel
13 years ago

Rodgers still has one big step to take 
The Packers QB will escape the shadow of Brett Favre if he can have another strong season -- and make a long playoff run.

By MARK CRAIG, Star Tribune
Last update: September 12, 2010 - 9:21 AM

GREEN BAY, WIS. - Preparedness, pinpoint accuracy and the league's smoothest deep ball have made the Packers' Aaron Rodgers one of the NFL's best quarterbacks at the still tender age of 26.

But personal stats and pretty passes won't make him a legend. Not in Titletown, USA.

To emerge from the considerable shadow of Brett Favre, his predecessor, Rodgers needs to win a Super Bowl. Sorry, but that sure seems to be the unwritten rule in a city that's celebrated 12 NFL championships, including Super Bowls I, II and XXXI.

"I don't know about shadows or eclipses or any of that stuff," right tackle Mark Tauscher said. "All I know is Aaron's a good player who is getting a lot better. He's already his own quarterback, not the guy who replaced Brett. He's had success, and I expect he'll have a lot more success before he's done."

The Packers play Sunday at Philadelphia in the opening game of a season many experts believe will culminate with the Packers winning Super Bowl XLV in Arlington, Texas. Concerns about the offensive line and the pass defense often are cast aside because of the efficiency and sheer explosiveness of Rodgers and the passing attack.

"If the defense slacks, they can count on us 100 percent," tight end Jermichael Finley said. "We're going to put that thing in the air, and we're going to get in the end zone real fast. I don't think we can be stopped, to tell you the truth."

Rodgers is the first player in NFL history to pass for 4,000 yards in each of his first two seasons as a starter. He's also 17-16 with no playoff wins as a starter, so the next logical step in his career evolution is experiencing postseason success.

This could be the year. This is the best team he's had around him and, besides, he turns 27 in December. That's the same age Favre was when he won Super Bowl XXXI on Jan. 26, 1997.

"The bottom line is we have a great quarterback," receiver Greg Jennings said. "He's got great physical skills, great leadership skills, and he can get the job done. The chemistry is great. He's got a lot of weapons. We're getting into open spots and he's putting the ball right on the money no matter where we are."

It was another near-flawless preseason for Rodgers. He completed 77.4 percent of his passes (41 of 53) for 470 yards, six touchdowns, no interceptions and no sacks while playing parts of only three games.

The Packers are hoping their pass protection holds up through the regular season. The past two seasons, including playoffs, Rodgers has been sacked 89 times and lost eight of his 21 fumbles. The Arizona Cardinals returned one of those fumbles for the game-winning touchdown in a 51-45 wild-card playoff victory last season.

"I think the offensive line will be fine," Rodgers said. "And with the weapons we have, we feel we can score every time we touch the ball. All I have to do is be accurate. Whoever gets open will get the ball."

Including playoffs, Rodgers has completed 64.3 percent of his passes with 62 touchdowns and 21 interceptions the past two years. He's also averaged 7.9 yards on 1,119 attempts.

The seamless transition at quarterback from Favre to Rodgers didn't happen by accident. It took Packers General Manager Ted Thompson drafting Rodgers 24th overall in 2005. It took Thompson and coach Mike McCarthy having enough confidence in Rodgers to risk their careers by unloading Favre when he decided to unretire in 2008. And, oh yeah, it took a lot of time and effort by Rodgers during the three years he was Favre's backup.

"It was 100 percent hard work," Rodgers said. "I'm a full-time football guy. I'm a March 15 to every-day-in-the-OTAs to training-camp kind of guy. I think that full-time work pays off. Good old-fashioned work has paid off for myself and the team."

And now Rodgers will try to wrest the NFC North from the Vikings and Favre. At 40, Favre is a part-time kind of guy who skips everything from February through mid-August, yet he still managed to beat Rodgers and the Packers twice last season.

Rodgers isn't interested in comparisons between Favre and himself.

"He has nothing to do with me or this team," Rodgers said.

Not an original idea or even word in this piece. But this site is first and foremost a repository of Packers-related articles for Kevin, so here's another one.
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
dfosterf (11h) : The only problem with that is he isn't a guard either.
dfosterf (12h) : Put him at right guard. That is where he will be coached. That is where he will compete. He is not even allowed to look at the LT playbook.
dfosterf (18-Apr) : Kidding aside, I hope the best for him.
dfosterf (18-Apr) : Went to a Titans board. One comment there. Not very long. I quote: "LOL" They don't sound overly upset about our aquisition.
beast (18-Apr) : OT Dillard has been absolutely horrible... like OG Newman levels
dfosterf (18-Apr) : Suit him up and have him stand in front of the big board as a draft day cautionary tale.
Zero2Cool (18-Apr) : Packers sign T Andre Dillard.
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : Adds most of the information this time of year comes from agents.
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : @RealAlexBarth Bill Belichick says accurate draft information doesn't leak from teams until about 12 hours before the draft. Adds most of th
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : I am very happy that for moment, Jordan Love seems like a normal human being
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : Belichick * whatever
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : "There's a lot of depth at Offensive Tackle and Wide Receiver." Bill Bellichick
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : Thanks! I can't believe it's over haha
Martha Careful (16-Apr) : Congratulations
Zero2Cool (16-Apr) : Boom. Student Loan. $0.00. Only took about 20 years.
Zero2Cool (14-Apr) : Packers DT Kenny Clark: New defensive coordinator Jeff Hafley will 'allow us to be way more disruptive'
Zero2Cool (12-Apr) : Saints have agreed to terms on a contract with former Packers wide receiver Equanimeous St. Brown.
beast (12-Apr) : No, but of it's for legislation, then half of the country will find it evil, not good, whatever it says....
Mucky Tundra (12-Apr) : Draft is still 2 weeks away. UGH
dhazer (11-Apr) : Does anyone know of a good AI generator to create letters of Support for legislation?
Zero2Cool (11-Apr) : Gordon "Red" Batty retires as equipment manager
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Sounds like that's pretty certain now.
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Packers "at" Eagles in Brazil. Week One
dfosterf (10-Apr) : Va' Fazer As Malas Va' !
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Mark Murphy tipping us off?
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : “We’re either the first- or second-most popular team in Brazil.”
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Christian Watson got married. Wife better be careful with those hamstrings!! 😂😂
dfosterf (9-Apr) : Those poor bastards
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Falcons have signed former Packers CB Kevin King, who has been out of football since 2021.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Collectively, we need to spend more time in what we have, when analyzing ostendible needs and historical proclivities
dfosterf (8-Apr) : I say he is better than so many of these draft picks
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Question of the week for me: Has anyone besides me done any deep dive into the potential of Alex McGough, our 3rd string qb?
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Or in Tunsil's case, something gets released day of draft or day before lol
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Seems every year someone does something pre-draft.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Falling down drunk. The draft board
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Allright! Potential character guy/f#×k up pickup in D'Vondre Sweat!
Zero2Cool (7-Apr) : Go Badgers!!!
Martha Careful (6-Apr) : Go Boilermakers!!!
Martha Careful (5-Apr) : Diggs has not stepped up in the playoffs and has a high cost
beast (5-Apr) : Probably not going to let Diggs walk away unless he's horrible... but according to reports he also might not be as good as he used to be.
beast (5-Apr) : The 25th pick in the draft has been an offensive player since 2017, 2 TE, 2 WR, 1 RB, 1 OC
Mucky Tundra (5-Apr) : Odd, why give up a 2025 2nd Rounder for him if you're just gonna let him walk?
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : Texans to let Diggs be free agent in '25
buckeyepackfan (4-Apr) : 49r's aign RB Patrick Taylor.
Martha Careful (4-Apr) : Reversion to the mean would indicate we will keep it
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : It's also been utilized in a trade in 14 of the past 20 years
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : The 25th pick in the draft hasn't been made by it's original holder since 2016.
Mucky Tundra (4-Apr) : Gotta imagine that Green Bay vs Houston will be a primetime game this upcoming season
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : No. Kill QB. No worries. 😁
Mucky Tundra (3-Apr) : Diggs, Collins, Dell and Schultz is gonna be tough to cover
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
4h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

12h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

19-Apr / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

18-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

18-Apr / Random Babble / Mucky Tundra

18-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

16-Apr / Random Babble / Martha Careful

15-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

12-Apr / Random Babble / Nonstopdrivel

12-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.