CaliforniaCheez
15 years ago
I used to not follow the Lions as they didn't matter.

Their own media just don't care so reading coverage on the Lions often provides comedy. Take this article in the Detroit Free Press.

http://www.freep.com/article/20081021/COL22/310210005/1049/SPORTS01 

I have to ask, since Im curious. ... Do you have to write new material on the Lions each season, or can you use previous columns from year to year like a teachers lesson plans? In other words, just change the dates, maybe two or three names, and rerun them?

Reader Scott Dewicki, Commerce Township

HOUSTON Well, the Dan Orlovsky (Jon Kitna, Joey Harrington, Scott Mitchell) Era is not going very well.

I knew the Lions were in trouble when the Texans won the coin toss and elected to score. Houstons early star was running back Steve Slaton (Adrian Peterson, your next-door neighbor), who spearheaded a quick touchdown drive. This was soon followed by a touchdown run by Ahman Green (Steve Slaton, your next-door neighbor on the other side).

Meanwhile, Orlovsky threw his first pass to a fan sitting in the second row (fan sitting in the third row). This surely led many fans to call for backup Drew Stanton (Dan Orlovsky).

The Texans and Lions basically run the same offense, except the Texans added this play where they have one of their receivers go to a spot where the nearest Lion is 15 yards away. Its real cutting-edge stuff, and the Lions never figured it out, even though the Texans kept doing it again and again.

You want numbers? Weve got numbers. The Texans tied their record for most first downs in a game before the end of the third quarter. By my calculations, he Lions were outgained, 274-79, in the first half.

I say by my calculations because I am not counting Orlovskys meaningless 58-yard pass to Calvin Johnson as time expired. Im sure coach Rod Marinelli (Steve Mariucci, Marty Mornhinweg) will count it. After all, they were playing the snap (you are your tape, pad level).

The Lions were down three touchdowns before they threw a pass to their only offensive weapon, Calvin Johnson (Roy Williams, Herman Moore). Finally, they had to give Johnson the ball on a reverse; the poor guy was tackled before he could run off the field to the nearest airport.

Marinelli recently asked reporters if they know what it means to respect the game (listen to a lame-duck coach, pad level).

Is this what it means to respect the game? Falling behind 21-0 (21-0, 21-3, 31-0) in the first half? What would be a lack of respect? Drinking beer in the huddle?

The Lions mounted a brief comeback, sort of they cut the margin to 21-10 in the third quarter. But in the end Marinelli must have been even more frustrated than he was after his road loss in Minnesota (San Francisco, Atlanta, Green Bay, San Diego, Minnesota, Arizona, Washington, Philadelphia, Green Bay, New England, Arizona, New York, Minnesota, St. Louis, Chicago, Pittsburgh, Green Bay, Dallas, Minnesota, Tampa Bay, Chicago).

In the first half, one of the Lions leading rushers was their quarterback, Orlovsky. Its not a good sign when Dan Orlovsky is your leading rusher. Also, its not a good sign when Dan Orlovsky is your quarterback.

A week ago, in his first career start, Orlovsky ran out of the back of the end zone for a safety. Apparently, Orlovsky had no idea where he was. I can only hope, for his sake, that his mind wandered off to its special place again Sunday.

It is probably too early to pass judgment on Orlovsky, but it is not too early to be skeptical. He appears to have happy feet sometimes I cant tell if he is dropping back to pass or auditioning for the lead in The Gregory Hines Story. On one play Sunday, Orlovsky pitter-pattered while handing off on a draw out of the shotgun.

Of course, Orlovsky was not the only guy responsible for this debacle. Defensive lineman Shaun Cody (Shaun Rogers) was whistled for encroachment, which comes from the Greek word for big dude falling down.

Now the Lions are 0-6. They have lost 13 of their past 14 games, and they are 3-13 since receiver Mike Furrey told the media they could kiss his ass (head).

So no, this latest loss should not have surprised anybody. After all, they are the Lions (the Lions, the Lions, the Lions).

How difficult can being a sports journalist covering the Lions??
blank
dfosterf
15 years ago
+1
CaliforniaCheez
15 years ago
UserPostedImage

REBUILDING SINCE 57.COM is your only t-shirt source for the worst team in professional football history. This year we celebrate "Winning When It Counts" with our limited edition 2008 Pre-Season

Champions t-shirt. The t-shirt will only be available during the 2008/09 season, so pick up one now until the next huge embarrasing failure.

blank
Yerko
15 years ago
Wow...just wow. This is great.
+1
UserPostedImage
gbpfan
15 years ago
wow poor poor pussy cats :icon_smile:
Cheesey
15 years ago
It's hard not to feel sorry for them..............and even harder not to laugh!!!
UserPostedImage
IronMan
15 years ago

UserPostedImage

REBUILDING SINCE 57.COM is your only t-shirt source for the worst team in professional football history. This year we celebrate "Winning When It Counts" with our limited edition 2008 Pre-Season

Champions t-shirt. The t-shirt will only be available during the 2008/09 season, so pick up one now until the next huge embarrasing failure.

"CaliforniaCheez" wrote:

+1
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (14-Apr) : Packers DT Kenny Clark: New defensive coordinator Jeff Hafley will 'allow us to be way more disruptive'
Zero2Cool (12-Apr) : Saints have agreed to terms on a contract with former Packers wide receiver Equanimeous St. Brown.
beast (12-Apr) : No, but of it's for legislation, then half of the country will find it evil, not good, whatever it says....
Mucky Tundra (12-Apr) : Draft is still 2 weeks away. UGH
dhazer (11-Apr) : Does anyone know of a good AI generator to create letters of Support for legislation?
Zero2Cool (11-Apr) : Gordon "Red" Batty retires as equipment manager
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Sounds like that's pretty certain now.
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Packers "at" Eagles in Brazil. Week One
dfosterf (10-Apr) : Va' Fazer As Malas Va' !
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Mark Murphy tipping us off?
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : “We’re either the first- or second-most popular team in Brazil.”
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Christian Watson got married. Wife better be careful with those hamstrings!! 😂😂
dfosterf (9-Apr) : Those poor bastards
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Falcons have signed former Packers CB Kevin King, who has been out of football since 2021.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Collectively, we need to spend more time in what we have, when analyzing ostendible needs and historical proclivities
dfosterf (8-Apr) : I say he is better than so many of these draft picks
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Question of the week for me: Has anyone besides me done any deep dive into the potential of Alex McGough, our 3rd string qb?
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Or in Tunsil's case, something gets released day of draft or day before lol
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Seems every year someone does something pre-draft.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Falling down drunk. The draft board
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Allright! Potential character guy/f#×k up pickup in D'Vondre Sweat!
Zero2Cool (7-Apr) : Go Badgers!!!
Martha Careful (6-Apr) : Go Boilermakers!!!
Martha Careful (5-Apr) : Diggs has not stepped up in the playoffs and has a high cost
beast (5-Apr) : Probably not going to let Diggs walk away unless he's horrible... but according to reports he also might not be as good as he used to be.
beast (5-Apr) : The 25th pick in the draft has been an offensive player since 2017, 2 TE, 2 WR, 1 RB, 1 OC
Mucky Tundra (5-Apr) : Odd, why give up a 2025 2nd Rounder for him if you're just gonna let him walk?
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : Texans to let Diggs be free agent in '25
buckeyepackfan (4-Apr) : 49r's aign RB Patrick Taylor.
Martha Careful (4-Apr) : Reversion to the mean would indicate we will keep it
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : It's also been utilized in a trade in 14 of the past 20 years
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : The 25th pick in the draft hasn't been made by it's original holder since 2016.
Mucky Tundra (4-Apr) : Gotta imagine that Green Bay vs Houston will be a primetime game this upcoming season
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : No. Kill QB. No worries. 😁
Mucky Tundra (3-Apr) : Diggs, Collins, Dell and Schultz is gonna be tough to cover
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : Stefon Diggs' trade will not be processed as a post-June 1 designation, so that is just over $31 million in dead cap this year.
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : Bills trading WR Stefon Diggs to the Texans in exchange for a 2025 2nd-round pick. (via @rapsheet)
beast (3-Apr) : Using Patterson as RB and RB/WR tweener... so I think they also signed Patterson as a 3rd down RB, not just a kick returner as articles are
beast (3-Apr) : I think PFT missed the real Steelers/Patterson connection, Steelers new OC Arthur Smith has been Patterson's head coach the last 3 years
wpr (2-Apr) : It has Martha. I was stunned when I was in HS to learn Iowa was still playing half court BB in the 70's.
Martha Careful (2-Apr) : Caitlin Clark, Angel Reese...women's sports has come a long way. GREAT TO SEE!!
Martha Careful (31-Mar) : Happy Easter everyone. I hope you all have a great day.
dfosterf (28-Mar) : Maybe
Mucky Tundra (28-Mar) : Yes
Zero2Cool (28-Mar) : No.
Mucky Tundra (28-Mar) : End of a Degu-era
dhazer (28-Mar) : Steelers sign Patterson because of new kickoff rule interesting
Zero2Cool (28-Mar) : Former #Packers TE Josiah Deguara is signing a 1-year deal with the Jaguars, per source.
Zero2Cool (28-Mar) : They do not do it for "content sake".
dfosterf (28-Mar) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
3h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

10h / Random Babble / Martha Careful

13h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

16h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

21h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

12-Apr / Random Babble / Nonstopdrivel

12-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

11-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

10-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

8-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

5-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

5-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

4-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

4-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / buckeyepackfan

4-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.