Zero2Cool
13 years ago
As most of you know, this site started out as a hobby of mine.

I made many tweaks, changes, "enhancements" and what have you to the core code. That is not bad, that is a good thing. What is bad, I did not document my changes, which is a supreme fail for any programmer. I figured "I break it, no biggie, I upload the core again and start again". It was fun.

I think now if I were to just wipe it all away, some of you might be upset. I know if I was you, I would be. One of the things I aim for is providing a stable platform/media for those who choose to use it.

The CMS core developers have been long at work improving security, response time, modules, etc in the "dark" (for lack of better term). They've released a "silent" update, while working on a publicly known major release.

Software typically is released in minor and major releases. 1.0 to 1.1 is minor, 1.1 to 2.0 is major.

We're on 9.2, but they're working on 10.0 currently. The latest core is 9.3.

I'm going to set up a mirror site using that core and gradually prepare it for upgrading to 10.0 when it's released.

Why might you care?
As has been one of my goals is to keep members informed of the sites direction as much as I possibly can. Also, this is a warning, I will make mistakes and I will screw something up. That's inevitable. BUT, if you navigate to a page and it fails or you hit PH.com and it fails ... it's just me screwing something up and rest assured, it's being worked on.

This also means I've decided to stick with PHP front end with MySQL as the backend instead of ASP/MVC with SQL Server. Reason is, there's just too many positives to what we've got here already to re-invent the wheel. Instead, I'm going to systematically force myself to learn PHP more efficiently.

A complete site rebuild is necessary to procure new features into the site effectively. My first goal is develop a method of creating and maintain code level changes and effects.

Some might remember the NFL Picks feature that was worked on. It was completed, but not to my satisfactory because of the lack of knowledge of other changes that I wanted to incorporate.

I want to build new features, but it's hard when you don't know what you're breaking. With documentation of the changes, new features will be more likely to be added and implemented properly.

A few things I want?
I'd like to be able to "Like" or "Dislike" posts (sorta like Facebook)
Add sarcasm tags on single click.
Incorporate NFL Picks
Single tier quoting
Enhance search (Search for "by Jason Wilde", or tag [OFFICAL])

Those are just examples, I have a few more, but I can't do anything with them until the site is rebuilt, intelligently.

There shouldn't be many changes noticeable in the immediate feature, but if you have other ideas, please, post them with detail.
UserPostedImage
Packers_Finland
13 years ago
Thanks for the heads up in advance.

I wouldn't like a like/dislike button. We already got applause buttons. Not to mention that like/dislike buttons are just a cheap replacement for comments, and in the process we might end up losing some really insightful posts.

I like all the other stuff though.
This is a placeholder
Zero2Cool
13 years ago
True, but on a positive, it may help eliminate the turds who quote a post and type nothing but "this". I'd gladly code for 5 hours to get rid of that embarrassing effort of a contribution.
UserPostedImage
Packers_Finland
13 years ago

True, but on a positive, it may help eliminate the turds who quote a post and type nothing but "this". I'd gladly code for 5 hours to get rid of that embarrassing effort of a contribution.

"Zero2Cool" wrote:

This.

On a serious note though, you should go all NFL on the "This" guys and start ejecting and suspending people.
This is a placeholder
Zero2Cool
13 years ago
The Like and Dislike can be toggle enabled/disabled in my preferences too.

If you don't wish to have the option to like, or dislike, turn it off.

Or, we can have it enabled to members who exceeded X amount of posts.
UserPostedImage
Nonstopdrivel
13 years ago
You can enable single-tier quoting very easily in the administrator's control panel. At least you can in phpBB, and if I understand correctly, the software behind this forum is a fork of phpBB.
UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
13 years ago

You can enable single-tier quoting very easily in the administrator's control panel. At least you can in phpBB, and if I understand correctly, the software behind this forum is a fork of phpBB.

"Nonstopdrivel" wrote:

http://packershome.com/ForumsPro/viewtopic/t=9188.html 
UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
13 years ago
http://demos.telerik.com/mvc/forum/aspnet-ajax/ 

I like the tree-view to access the categories, then the sections on the side. It'd take some work to make it feasible though. Good thing with that forum is I can tinker with it at work, because it's MVC and it'll be considered a learning project. :)

As I post this, the site is blazing fast. Go figure.
UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
13 years ago
http://mesoboard.com/  another asp.net mvc board software
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (9h) : Chase Young to sign $13M contract with Saints
Zero2Cool (9h) : Yosh to Panthers what noooo. Wait he didn't do crap
wpr (18-Mar) : I say that he is technically HER BIL as he married her sister. I checked it out, he's considered my BIL as well. Sad.
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : wpr, I assume its your BIL via marriage to your wife? If so, I can figure out where the smarts in the family went ;)
wpr (18-Mar) : Mucky my B-I-L is Bare Stupid. I could write a book.
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : As a teenager in Rockford IL I would get heckled by adults in public for wearing GB gear
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : if you think the online ones are bad, try *living amongst* them
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : Never doubt wprs loyalty. Poor guy is surrounded by Bears fans in Northern IL
wpr (17-Mar) : pass Martha. Thanks for the invite though.
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : blog * as the same ugly Illinois colors were adopted by the Baer
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : WPR, perhaps you should be joining the Bears fans blog has the same ugly Illinois colors were adopted by the Bears
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : Ah a fellow U of Illinois hater. I can respect that though I imagine it's for different reasons
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : BTW. I didn't catch the game. I just hate Illinois.
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : They're your Big Ten Chumps and you will like it!
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : No, not for the record. Referee's handled that BS. Orange team was trash ass
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : *Your* Big Ten Chumps for the record
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : No, not Big Ten Champs. IL is big ten CHUMPS
wpr (17-Mar) : Big Ten Champs
wpr (17-Mar) : !!!
wpr (17-Mar) : INI
wpr (17-Mar) : ILL
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : Wisconsin with an outstanding on in the men’s Big Ten basketball tournament. Let’s hope it continues in the NCAAs
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : Almost like taking QB in 2020 even if you don't need one is good move.
Mucky Tundra (16-Mar) : 2021 QB Draft class looking like a real clunker
Mucky Tundra (16-Mar) : A conditional 6th rounder? I remember Bears fans arguing they'd get a day 2 pick at worst lol
dfosterf (16-Mar) : So I got the no extension part right and the have to wait on the CW physical wrong
Zero2Cool (16-Mar) : Bears are trading Justin Fields for a 2025 6th-round pick that goes to a 4th-round pick based on playtime, per sources.
Zero2Cool (16-Mar) : Former Packer Jarrett Bush opens Wisconsin’s first blow dry bar in Green Bay
dfosterf (16-Mar) : If the Bears are not doing a deal with Washington, they also cannot trade Fields until Williams physical with them. All hail Caleb Williams!
dfosterf (16-Mar) : The talent is undeniable, but the (advertised) haul is obscene.
dfosterf (16-Mar) : If the Bears are cutting a deal with the Commanders, in either scenario, cannot happen until williams passes a Commanders physical
dfosterf (16-Mar) : My guess is no to the Fields extension, but yes to the trade back with the Commanders.
dhazer (15-Mar) : I think the Bears do a Love extension and they will trade out of the 1st pick and take the haul
Martha Careful (15-Mar) : that might make sense
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Justin Fields to Steelers?
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Kenny Pickett. Eagles. Done.
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : They can claim best two WR tandem.
Mucky Tundra (15-Mar) : Aaron Donald retiring
dhazer (15-Mar) : Campbell signing with 49ers
dhazer (15-Mar) : I love how the Bear Fans are now claiming they have the best skill players in the NFC North lol
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Vikings made a move to get a 2nd first round pick
Mucky Tundra (15-Mar) : That's a not a bad deal for the Bears
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Bears have traded for WR Keenan Allen sending Chargers a fourth rounder.
Martha Careful (15-Mar) : *signs
Martha Careful (14-Mar) : MLB Devon White science with the Eagles
Mucky Tundra (14-Mar) : But that was before FA started
Mucky Tundra (14-Mar) : Dhaze, I thought Kurls would be their #1 target when I read that he was an Amos comp (jack of all trades guy)
dhazer (14-Mar) : I would like to see the Packers target 2 more FA still available Kamren Curl Safety and Chase Young edge
Martha Careful (14-Mar) : wow...didn't see that coming
Zero2Cool (14-Mar) : AJ Dillon re-signing with Packers.
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
6h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

14h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

15h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

18-Mar / Around The NFL / Mucky Tundra

16-Mar / Random Babble / Martha Careful

16-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / TheKanataThrilla

15-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dhazer

15-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

14-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

14-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

14-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

13-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.