HoustonMatt
15 years ago
The terms have been released. They were posted in the thread earlier. 6yrs/$65 million of which $20 million is guaranteed.

For comparison, Romo got 6yrs/$67 million of which $30 million is guaranteed.

David Garrard signed for 6yrs/$60 million of which $18 million is guaranteed.

Whether you agree with the money or not, what Aaron is being paid is right in line with what the market dictates.

EDIT:

For what it's worth, Matt Ryan, with zero experience, signed a 6yrs/$72 million deal of which $34.75 million is guaranteed.

So don't complain about the money. It's fair value, if not somewhat of a bargain.
blank
brnt247
15 years ago
Thompson is proving time and time again that he is one of the smartest GM's around. He has nearly completely changed this team since the Sherman era and replaced it with his guys and each and every season we get impressed by the rookies and see improvement from the previous year from the other young guys. We're going to be very good for very long, and we will have a very good quarterback for very long.
blank
15 years ago

I'm glad to see this. But how do you think Jennings feels about this?

"Zero2Cool" wrote:

Why don't you read the article where he was asked? C'mon! This is about Rodgers for crying out loud. Sir Jennings has his own thread in which he says... well you go find it. :)

I don't know the numbers so I can't really say much about this contract yet. It's being reported as something like 11 million per year. I think that's a bit much. But then again I'm one of those tards who believes contracts should be more incentive based.

"cheeseheads123" wrote:

Yeah i didn't read the whole thing my bad 🙂.
UserPostedImage
dhazer
15 years ago
they just said on espn that its up there that he will being paid elite qb money. And how he handled himself sitting the bench i wouldnt be upset collecting free money would you?

$65 million for 6 years and 20 million guaranteed for a 4-3 starter thats just plain nuts.
Just Imagine this for the next 6-9 years. What a ride it will be 🙂 (PS, Zero should charge for this)
UserPostedImage
Greg C.
15 years ago

they just said on espn that its up there that he will being paid elite qb money. And how he handled himself sitting the bench i wouldnt be upset collecting free money would you?

$65 million for 6 years and 20 million guaranteed for a 4-3 starter thats just plain nuts.

"dhazer" wrote:

Okay, I've seen the terms. (Thanks for posting that, Matt.) It is elite money, but not unreasonable. Good QB's do not grow on trees. Just ask fans of the Lions, Bears, or Vikings, for starters.

As for sitting on the bench, yes, I give Aaron a lot of credit for continuing to practice hard, to improve his attitude (they say he was a little too cocky when he first got here), and not make any snotty comments to the media, as so often happens when a highly touted player has to sit the bench. He couldn't have handled the whole thing any better than he did, with the only exception being the comment about fans needing to get on board or shut up, and he sort of backed down on that statement when asked about it later.
blank
Zero2Cool
15 years ago
Call me crazy (or more intelligent than you), but I believe they didn't pay him over 60 million for the four wins he helped the Packers get. Its probably more for what he'll do for them in the future. They feel confident in his abilities and a large percentage of those who know something about the game, would agree. I'm going to have to take that side over those who dislike Rodgers because they are too (edit) to be objective.
UserPostedImage
longtimefan
15 years ago
I havent looked or noticed but just in case

Those that were happy that Grant got his "pay day" sure as hell better feel same about Rodgers contract.

I'll be checking to see who is double talking out their a@@
dhazer
15 years ago

I havent looked or noticed but just in case

Those that were happy that Grant got his "pay day" sure as hell better feel same about Rodgers contract.

I'll be checking to see who is double talking out their a@@

"longtimefan" wrote:

whewwww i'm safe i said the same thing that the player needs more than 7 or 8 games to get the big money, make them prove it for 2-3 years first.
Just Imagine this for the next 6-9 years. What a ride it will be 🙂 (PS, Zero should charge for this)
UserPostedImage
HoustonMatt
15 years ago

whewwww i'm safe i said the same thing that the player needs more than 7 or 8 games to get the big money, make them prove it for 2-3 years first.

"dhazer" wrote:

I think everyone would agree that would be the ideal scenario, but it doesn't necessarily apply to Aaron because of his current contract situation. We essentially had 3 options:

1) Extend him this week so we could count money against this year's cap.
2) Wait to see how he plays for the whole year and extend him in the offseason.
3) Let him walk at the end of '09 or try to re-sign him then.

Option 3 is probably the least preferable. If you want to bring Aaron back, it doesn't make sense to let him hit free agency and then compete in abidding war with other teams. Option 2 makes some sense, but then you lose the ability to use this year's cap room. And, really, why wait another 9 games? Management has had 3.5 years to evaluate this kid in practice and on the field. If they don't have a feel for what they think he can do by know, they would be considered incompetent. Aaron's not likely to show them anything they don't know over the next 9 games. That's why I think locking him now was the best decision.

NOTE: I purposely didn't include an extension midway through next season as option 4. Typically, if a player is 8 games away from free agency, the risk of injury is low enough that they'd be better off testing the market to maximize their value.
blank
longtimefan
15 years ago

He should have honored his current contract and played it out.

(This will be the undoing of Ted Thompson....guaranteed!)

"longtimefan" wrote:

what if I were to tell you that during the summer they went to him and said lets re-do your contract and he said okay..

Then the whole drama thing happened..

He then went to them and said dont worry about it now, get the Brett Favre thing settled I'll still be here next year to work on it

But stuff like that never makes it into the media..And since it didn't, you wont believe it..

"Roddyboy" wrote: