Rockmolder
15 years ago

I understand the desire for English and European Packer fans want to see them play 1st hand but I personally would not like to see them play a regular season game over there. Preseason (week 1-2) would be fine.

"wpr" wrote:

The problem with that would most likely be the same as with the NFL Europe. We have the best soccer players, Hockey players etc. in Europe. No one wants to earn their hard-earned money on meaningless games and third string players, apart from some die-hard fans. Because, although it might be getting slightly more popular here, there still are alot of people that think it's Rugby with helmets or 11 fat men running and hitting eachother.

Now I won't say this won't draw any attention, but I don't see people coming from all across the country to see a pre-season games. Also, alot of these people coming to this current Wembley games seem to be American. I don't see them travelling half the world for a pre-season match.

What would be handy is to put the game in front of a bye week, so the players could get some rest after the game. In soccer, although less physical, they have 2 games a week from time to time, because of the Champions League that's running at the same time as the national competitions. Soccer is 2 x 45 minutes of running and, as a soccer player myself for 6 years, that can make you quite sore. Yet, they're ready again.

Maybe it's not totally comparable, since you have the yet-lag, and the one day less of practice, but having an extra game in the middle of a season....
TengoJuego
15 years ago
Nearly every person I've ever chatted with across the pond says or has something negative to say about the NFL or the game of "American" football.

Its unfair to season ticket holders/die hard fans to have to miss a game because they want to try to get people from another country to get into a game that they really don't have easy access to in the first place.

Shoot I only get 3-5 games on tv a weekend...give ME(and of course everyone else lol) more free games before you give them anything.
Rockmolder
15 years ago
That sounds somewhat egoistic to me, but I see where you're coming from.

The NFL also sees though, that pretty much every american that likes sports, is already a football fan. The only reason why most people here don't like the game, is because they don't know it. They're just trying to get some fans here aswell, and make more money. After all, the NFL is just a business aswell.

Also, there are alot of fans here aswell. Why not give them some games. Just 1 or 2 games played in Europe from the 200-250 Regular Season games played in one season. Seems fair enough in my eyes...
bigfog
15 years ago

Nearly every person I've ever chatted with across the pond says or has something negative to say about the NFL or the game of "American" football.

Its unfair to season ticket holders/die hard fans to have to miss a game because they want to try to get people from another country to get into a game that they really don't have easy access to in the first place.

Shoot I only get 3-5 games on tv a weekend...give ME(and of course everyone else lol) more free games before you give them anything.

"TengoJuego" wrote:

This pretty much sums up my feelings on the subject. I'm not a fan of the NFL reaching across the pond to reel in a new fan base. I understand their motivations behind it ($$$), but it bothers me on a personal level.

If European fans want to see a game, by all means c'mon over here. Euro and the Pound are kicking the dollar's ass anyways.
"I wouldn't root for the Minnesota Vikings to win a chess match against Nazi Germany."
agopackgo4
15 years ago
Two words. HELL NO!!!! espicially if they take away a packer home game. Thats a bunch of crap IMO. No way. I hate the idea of the NFL going over there. For any game. Not just the Packers. well start throwing the harassment at me lol. i can take it. That is just my opinion though.
flep
  • flep
  • Member Topic Starter
15 years ago
Thanks for the replies so far.

I did state in my original post that there is no way the Packers would ever give up a home game and I would never ever, ever want them to.

There has been talk of a 17 or 18 game season by losing 2 preseason games.

With a 17 game season the 17th game would be an international game with no team being the designated home team, against an opposite conference team who finished in the same position in their repsective division the season prior.

The NFL had 6 preseason games in Wembley from 1986 onwards but fan attendence wained nearer the end when the UK fans realised that preseason games are not the real thing.

I went to the Giants - Dolphins game last year and over 80,000 attended. This year over 83,000 were there. 70,000 plus were from the UK not the US. Last year the first 40,000 tickets sold out in 90 minutes this year was even quicker.

We do understand the rules of the game (heck I even payed it for 6 years). It has been shown on TV in the UK for the past 26 years and has an ever growing fan base.

It cost for 3 tickets, travel to and from and a stay in a London hotel for 2 nights for myself, wife and son 350 approx $600. A lot cheaper than a flight for 1 to the states for a game. Just a chance to see a real meaningful NFL game meant everything to me.

So to see the Pack would be a defining moment in my life. And as I have said I would kill for tickets.

San Diego played an away game in Buffalo and instead of flying back to San Diego and then to New Orleans just flew on to London from Buffalo so their travelling was not too interupted.

It has not been noticed as well that last year and this, and also next year the 2 participating teams have their bye week the week after the game so jet lag is not an issue.

The game is becoming truly global and it would be wonderful to accept that.

I LOVE the Packers and to see a regular season game in my own country would enable me to die a happy man.
Formed Merseyside Nighthawks. British Champions 1992. Packer fan for 32 years
UserPostedImage

I feel very wrong now!!!!!!!!!
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
15 years ago

I understand the desire for English and European Packer fans want to see them play 1st hand but I personally would not like to see them play a regular season game over there. Preseason (week 1-2) would be fine.

"Rockmolder" wrote:

The problem with that would most likely be the same as with the NFL Europe. We have the best soccer players, Hockey players etc. in Europe. No one wants to earn their hard-earned money on meaningless games and third string players, apart from some die-hard fans. Because, although it might be getting slightly more popular here, there still are alot of people that think it's Rugby with helmets or 11 fat men running and hitting eachother.

Now I won't say this won't draw any attention, but I don't see people coming from all across the country to see a pre-season games. Also, alot of these people coming to this current Wembley games seem to be American. I don't see them travelling half the world for a pre-season match.

What would be handy is to put the game in front of a bye week, so the players could get some rest after the game. In soccer, although less physical, they have 2 games a week from time to time, because of the Champions League that's running at the same time as the national competitions. Soccer is 2 x 45 minutes of running and, as a soccer player myself for 6 years, that can make you quite sore. Yet, they're ready again.

Maybe it's not totally comparable, since you have the yet-lag, and the one day less of practice, but having an extra game in the middle of a season....

"wpr" wrote:

Rock you are right. Most fans will not care for a preseason game as it is meaningless more or less.
I am saying for them to fly over and back does take something out of the players. Sure they are young and can bounce back fairly quick. Both New Orleans and San Diego had their bye week after the game. I am sure it helps but still takes a toll. There is such a fine line between success and failure at the professional level (any professional sport.) I don't want to give away an advantage to the other teams that do not have to make the long trip.
Heck I hate it when GB has to play an away game after a Monday nite game. I also don't like the Thursday games either.
UserPostedImage
flep
  • flep
  • Member Topic Starter
15 years ago
Just one point

The Giants played at Wembley last season and won it all.
Formed Merseyside Nighthawks. British Champions 1992. Packer fan for 32 years
UserPostedImage

I feel very wrong now!!!!!!!!!
EnglishCheese
15 years ago
Yes Yes Yes

I have been to Green Bay twice and it takes a long time to save enough for those trips. So the thought of only travelling 50 miles to see the Green n Gold. I would do anything to get a ticket for that as would many thousands of Packer fans over here.

Maybe a couple of years time (preferably when we've managed to get a run defence !).
Go Packers ( & Leeds United !)
go.pack.go.
15 years ago
As long as it is an away game, I think it's an advantage. If it is a home game then it's a huge disadvantage.

You only get 8 home games and if it was a home game then you'd be screwed out of one.
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
dfosterf (18h) : Maybe
Mucky Tundra (18h) : Yes
Zero2Cool (19h) : No.
Mucky Tundra (21h) : End of a Degu-era
dhazer (22h) : Steelers sign Patterson because of new kickoff rule interesting
Zero2Cool (28-Mar) : Former #Packers TE Josiah Deguara is signing a 1-year deal with the Jaguars, per source.
Zero2Cool (28-Mar) : They do not do it for "content sake".
dfosterf (28-Mar) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (27-Mar) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (27-Mar) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Against tbd
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (27-Mar) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (27-Mar) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (27-Mar) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
2h / Around The NFL / Zero2Cool

18h / Green Bay Packers Talk / buckeyepackfan

28-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

28-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.