Zero2Cool
15 years ago

[img_r]http://cmsimg.greenbaypressgazette.com/apps/pbcsi.dll/bilde?Site=U0&Date=20081031&Category=PKR01&ArtNo=811010392&Ref=AR&Profile=1058&MaxW=318&Border=0[/img_r]The Green Bay Packers had the time over last week's bye to try and figure out what's the difference between Ryan Grant in 2007 and Ryan Grant this year.

Is it mainly his hamstring injury early in training camp that proved far more serious than it originally appeared?

Has the offensive line's play slipped?

Or, is Grant not as good as his numbers last season suggest, and did he benefit from defenses slanting their calls to stop Brett Favre in 2007?

The Packers hope the major factor is Grant's hamstring injury, which sidelined him for almost all of training camp and limited his ability to practice early in the season after he returned.

"I think he's a talented back," said Edgar Bennett, the Packers' running backs coach. "Some of his greatest attributes are his vision, he's a very aggressive runner, he's physical, he's explosive. Not making any excuses whatsoever, but when you're describing a guy like that and he's hampered by an injury, it plays a role."

Last year, Grant rushed for 929 yards after becoming the primary halfback in the final 10 regular-season games and averaged 5.1 yards a carry for the season. This year he's averaging 3.4 yards a carry and ranks No. 17 in the NFL in rushing (464 yards) after seven games.

The Packers' actions at least up to this week suggest they think his injury is the main reason for his lower production. Even though Grant's rushing average has been low (3.0 yards) the last two games, the Packers keep giving him the ball and have used backup halfback Brandon Jackson almost strictly on passing downs. Grant had 64 carries against Seattle and Indianapolis combined the past two games, whereas Jackson had no carries.

This week, Grant will try to get back on track against a big, physical Tennessee Titans defensive line led by probably the most dominating defensive tackle in the NFL this season, Albert Haynesworth (6-foot-6, 320). Tennessee, which has allowed the fewest points in the NFL, ranks No. 10 in the league in rushing yards allowed and No. 9 in yards allowed per carry. Its strength along the defensive line will be a difficult matchup for a Packers offensive line that lacks power at left tackle (Chad Clifton), left guard (Daryn Colledge) and center (Scott Wells).

"I'm of the opinion last year, and some guys disagree, that the (offensive) line improved dramatically between Brandon Jackson getting headaches (early in the season) and Ryan Grant gashing people (starting in Week 7)," said Joe Philbin, the Packers' offensive coordinator. "That's one man's opinion. I don't know that it's fair to say Ryan's a different guy right now. I think he'll be catching his stride now, he has more carries under his belt, he's seeing things a little better. We're certainly expecting some big things from him."

Nelson questionable
[ul]The Packers might not be able to unveil their five-receiver set against Tennessee after all.

Last year the five-receiver set was an effective change-of-pace in their offensive game plans, but this season they haven't had five receivers healthy enough to suit up on game day through seven games. Now, even with James Jones' return from a knee injury this week, they still might not after rookie Jordy Nelson injured his ankle in practice Thursday.

Nelson didn't practice Friday, and coach Mike McCarthy listed him as questionable (50 percent chance of playing) on the Packers' injury report. McCarthy said Nelson will test his ankle Sunday before the game to determine whether he can play.[/ul]

Harris, Bigby ready
[ul]Cornerback Al Harris and safety Atari Bigby aren't on the Packers' injury report after a full week's practice and are expected back in the starting lineup Sunday after prolonged absences.

Harris missed the last four games because of a ruptured spleen, and Bigby missed the last five because of a pulled hamstring. Harris will play full time at cornerback, whereas Bigby probably will share time with Aaron Rouse at the safety position opposite Nick Collins.

"Aaron has done a very good job with his productivity when he has played," McCarthy said.[/ul]

Harrell no decision
[ul]The Packers will have to decide today whether defensive tackle Justin Harrell will play Sunday against Tennessee.

Harrell is on the physically-unable-to-perform list, and the Packers will have to move him to the 53-man roster if they want to play him against the Titans. He's returning from a herniated disc in his lower back that sidelined him almost all offseason until he was eligible by PUP rules to begin practicing 2 weeks ago.

For Harrell to play Sunday, the Packers have to activate him and cut another player, but the NFL does not conduct official business on Sundays, so they'll have to decide today.

With defensive ends Mike Montgomery (ankle) and Jason Hunter (hamstring) healthy enough to play this week, it's not a given the Packers will activate Harrell, though they would like to begin working him into their defensive-tackle rotation as soon as possible so he can contribute more later in the season.

"Special teams will probably be the driving force of the decisions when it comes between who is up and down," McCarthy said.[/ul]

Etc.
[ul]Quarterback Aaron Rodgers didn't throw in team drills Friday, as has been the standard practice since he sprained his shoulder Oct. 5. The Packers limit his throwing on Fridays so his shoulder is less irritated on game day.[/ul]

Obviously, we know the answer to Harrell, but I felt a few comments were worth keeping the segment and posting it.

Joe Philbin's comments kind of make me think he feels Brandon Jackson could have equalled the same results as Grant in the later half of the season.
UserPostedImage
packersfan101101
15 years ago
Grant really does need to get back on track.. 3.4 yards a carry is terrible compared to last year. If he doesnt have at least a decent game against the titans i think its time to try something else
brandon jackson is amazing
15 years ago
wtf nelson questionable?
UserPostedImage
tromadz
15 years ago
he got hurt in practice.
RaiderPride
15 years ago
I hope and pray that I have been wrong about Grant. I hope he is not a practice squad pick-up, one hit wonder, who the Packers should not have re-upped.... But...

If Grant does NOT have a good game against this Titan Defence, I think Grant will get a mulligan this week from the coaching staff.
""People Will Probably Never Remember What You Said, And May Never Remember What You Did. However, People Will Always Remember How You Made Them Feel."
brnt247
15 years ago
Jackson is a poor mans Westbrook, I think we should try and use the both of them a bit more rather than strictly Grant. Grant is better at running the ball, but Jackson makes some very good cuts and is always a threat to catch the ball out of the backfield.
blank
yooperfan
15 years ago
I think Grant deserves to have the whole season as a basis for evaluation, not just the Titans game.
I do fear that he is not the running back that his new contract defines.
So far it doesn't look good but there are alot of factors involved in his lack of production.
As Packers fans we have to all hope that the running game comes together down the stretch.
longtimefan
15 years ago
If Grant doesnt show he can run hard and keep legs going ( like he did last year) someone needs to stick a football up him sideways

We NEED a solid running game..

And hows this for a quote about Harrell and if he would be activated

"Special teams will probably be the driving force of the decisions when it comes between who is up and down," McCarthy said.

15 years ago
I don't know if I agree with the "power" issue with Wells. Rock said at Fan Fest two years ago that Wells was possibly the most powerful guy on the team.
UserPostedImage
bozz_2006
15 years ago

If Grant doesnt show he can run hard and keep legs going ( like he did last year) someone needs to stick a football up him sideways

We NEED a solid running game..

And hows this for a quote about Harrell and if he would be activated

"Special teams will probably be the driving force of the decisions when it comes between who is up and down," McCarthy said.

"longtimefan" wrote:

To me, that quote addresses why KGB was the one to get cut for Harrell's return. They couldn't lose an special teamers, and they wanted Harrell back, so a non-special-teamer got the axe.
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (3m) : They do not do it for "content sake".
dfosterf (10h) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (17h) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (18h) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (18h) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (22h) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Against tbd
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (27-Mar) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (27-Mar) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (27-Mar) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
beast (25-Mar) : Simply fined in the week to follow
beast (25-Mar) : I agree with one NFL official, it'll probably be like some of the helmets hits, not really called by the refs on the field but simply fined
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Hip drop is not. Super confusing. Referees job is harder
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Swivel hip drop is banned
dfosterf (25-Mar) : The hip drop enforcement will be in the form of fines, etc. Not flags
dfosterf (25-Mar) : A major foul will be enforced on the offense if there are offsetting penalties in a change of possession situation
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
10h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

10h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

10h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

17h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

22h / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Around The NFL / dhazer

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.