Nonstopdrivel
13 years ago
After the trials and tribulations of this season, there's a certain ironic appropriateness to the way two of our older veterans who most desperately wanted that ring -- Woodson and Driver -- both ended up on the sidelines in tears.
UserPostedImage
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
13 years ago
It is amazing what this guy has gone thru. he is a warrior. 

Without pushing the product or making even a single pitch, Charles Woodson has become the ideal spokesman for a venture commissioner Roger Goodell forbids him from talking about: TwentyFour by Charles Woodson, the Napa Valley wine label that the cornerback-turned-entrepreneur introduced in 2008. For NFL players, endorsing alcohol is a no-no. But Woodson, the 13-year veteran in search of his first Super Bowl ring, is proof that some NFL players, like fine wine, improve with time.

Woodson's dominance defies conventional wisdom on cornerbacks, who make a living by backpedaling two steps faster than receivers can run forward. At a geriatric 34, he's playing as well he did in the prime of his careerarguably better. Swirl this around like a fine cabernet: One season after intercepting a career-high nine passes and being named the '09 Defensive Player of the Year (over the then 24-year-old Darrelle Revis), the 1997 Heisman Trophy winner morphed into a pseudo-linebacker in Green Bay's bruising 3--4 scheme, amassing 76 tackles and forcing five fumbles, both career highs. In his five years with the Pack, Woodson has pulled down nearly twice as many picks (30) as he had in eight distinguished seasons with the Raiders (17). "In this league they bring in younger guys all the time to either replace you or beat you," Woodson says. "For me just to stick around, I have to get better every year."

Woodson is the cornerstone of a secondary that allowed eight fewer touchdowns (16) than it had interceptions (24) this season, the league's best differential and perhaps the Packers' key to victory in Super Bowl XLV. The Steelers are often portrayed as a ground-and-pound offense, but in Super Bowls XL and XLIII, Pittsburgh hoisted the Lombardi Trophy behind MVP performances from wide receivers. Don't assume Ben Roethlisberger & Co. will be able to exploit the Packers in the same way. "The level at which we play, the speed with which we play," Woodson says, "there's not a weakness in our secondary."

Credit Woodson with molding the Packers' young talent through countless hours of film study and infusing in them an unwavering confidence. For Green Bay there was no greater concern coming into the season than the secondary, which Kurt Warner shredded for 379 yards and five touchdowns in last year's NFC wild-card round. Three weeks earlier Roethlisberger had thrown for 503 yards on the Pack, the 10th 500-yard game in NFL history. The difference this year? The emergence of fifth-year corner Tramon Williams (six picks, plus three in the postseason) and rookie Sam Shields (two picks, plus two more against Chicago in the NFC title game), which enabled Woodson to patrol closer to the line of scrimmage, blitz more often, spy QBs and line up at corner, safety, nickelback and even linebackerthe perfect threat to keep Roethlisberger's head on a swivel come Sunday. And in the second year under defensive coordinator Dom Capers, the secondary never allowed more than two touchdowns in a single game; all but one opponent was held to fewer than 27 points. "A large part of it has to do with the development of the young guys," Woodson says. "I haven't lost a step. I'm able to adapt. I'm playing this way so we can get our best guys on the field."

Just how baby-faced are Woodson's sidekicks? When Shields was 12 he unwrapped Woodson's number 24 Raiders jersey on Christmas morning and "cried because I was so happy." In high school and college Williams had Woodson's poster taped up in his locker. Now they're blossoming into stars under the tutelage of an idol whom they affectionately call "Old Otis"a nod to the overzealous gray-haired security guard from the sitcom Martin. "He's the wise one, and the young hungry guys are falling in line behind the leader," says safety Nick Collins, 27, himself a three-time Pro Bowl pick. "That's why we've been so successful this year."

Of all the things they've learned from Woodsonhow to break down film, how to anticipate where the ball will be thrown based on field position, formation, personnel and receiver splitsthey know this best: The sum of his accolades hardly compares to his desire for a ring. "It would really validate my career," says Woodson, who came up short in his only other appearance, the Raiders' 48--21 loss to Tampa Bay in Super Bowl XXXVII.

And what would a ring mean to Woodson's legacy? Deion Sanders and Ty Law have five Super Bowl titles between them. Sanders went to eight Pro Bowls, one more than Woodson; Law two fewer. Their names belong in a debate that Woodson feels he should be a part of. "My last few years in Oakland, I could play great and nobody would really care," he says. "Your name is left out of the conversation of best ever because your team is terrible."

New team, new role. Can one win change the discussion? Does he already belong?

"He's not slowing down at all," Williams says. "He's getting better and better with age." For connoisseurs of Packers football, there's no finer wine.

SI.com wrote:

UserPostedImage
zombieslayer
13 years ago

After the trials and tribulations of this season, there's a certain ironic appropriateness to the way two of our older veterans who most desperately wanted that ring -- Woodson and Driver -- both ended up on the sidelines in tears.

"Nonstopdrivel" wrote:

Most importantly, they stepped on the field and contributed. Driver was rallying up the fans after he came out of the game.
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage
(thanks to Pack93z for the pic)
2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. 🇹🇹 🇲🇲 🇦🇷
Nonstopdrivel
13 years ago
Yes, Driver never changed into street clothes. I was impressed by that.
UserPostedImage
Porforis
13 years ago
Not only is Woodson a complete player, he is a LEADER. Not to beat a dead Bear or anything, but unlike Cutler or other players that sulk on the sidelines, Woodson was emotional and contributed to the team in any way he could. He was still a leader, just on the sidelines.

Class act, I hope he retires a Packer. He may have spent more time in Oakland but he's been instrumental to the success of this team.
zombieslayer
13 years ago
Porforis - I can't speak for Woody, but I'm pretty sure he'll retire a Packer. His best years were obviously with the Packers (check the stats). Plus, he got a lot more love as a Packer.
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage
Cheesey
13 years ago
Did you guys see how, when he was trying to cheer on the team, he winced in pain while on the sidelines? You could see how badly he wanted to be on the field.
But he was one of the main reasons we got to where we are. Whether he could finish the game or not. Same with DD.
I'm SO happy for those guys!
UserPostedImage
RainX
13 years ago
Props to Woodson and Shields for getting us as far as they did. Before this game, if you would have told me we would have effectively lost both Woodson and Shields before the end of the first half and still would have been able to come out a winner, even with what the team has overcome injury wise this season, I still might not have believed it. Bush and Lee did enough to get the job done.

Fortunately the boys effectively have the next 5 months to get healthy before (hopefully) training camp starts.
blank
13 years ago
Do we know what his healing time is estimated at? I wonder if he'll be ready to go for the start of next season...

Full radiological union is typically achieved in 16 weeks for adult surgical patients, and shorter times are achieved by teenagers and young children. In patients who participated in prescribed physical therapy, 85-100% mobility returned in 69 months, with full strength returning in 912 months.

UserPostedImage
zombieslayer
13 years ago

Props to Woodson and Shields for getting us as far as they did. Before this game, if you would have told me we would have effectively lost both Woodson and Shields before the end of the first half and still would have been able to come out a winner, even with what the team has overcome injury wise this season, I still might not have believed it. Bush and Lee did enough to get the job done.

Fortunately the boys effectively have the next 5 months to get healthy before (hopefully) training camp starts.

"RainX" wrote:

Bush got burned for one TD but other than that, he played his heart out. Almost got a sack on Ben R which would have been sweet.

Amazing we had several starters getting knocked out of the game and the only reason it was close was because of our mistakes. This team is awesome.
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
dfosterf (4h) : Maybe
Mucky Tundra (4h) : Yes
Zero2Cool (5h) : No.
Mucky Tundra (8h) : End of a Degu-era
dhazer (8h) : Steelers sign Patterson because of new kickoff rule interesting
Zero2Cool (11h) : Former #Packers TE Josiah Deguara is signing a 1-year deal with the Jaguars, per source.
Zero2Cool (12h) : They do not do it for "content sake".
dfosterf (22h) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (27-Mar) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (27-Mar) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Against tbd
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (27-Mar) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (27-Mar) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (27-Mar) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
16m / Around The NFL / JPPT1974

4h / Green Bay Packers Talk / buckeyepackfan

23h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

23h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.