Heatherthepackgirl
15 years ago
FLORHAM PARK, N.J. - Putting the four words in the same sentence seems strange, maybe even absurd.

Brett Favre, game manager.

"That hasn't been his forte throughout the years," safety Kerry Rhodes said yesterday with a laugh.

But recently it has been, and Favre even joked about it with CBS' Phil Simms before last Sunday's 26-17 victory at Buffalo. Favre rarely looked downfield in the game - and he hasn't done that all that much in the last several weeks - going 19-for-28 for 201 yards with one interception. That came on the one semi-deep ball he did attempt, which the Bills' Jabari Greer picked and returned for a touchdown.

"I joked with Phil Simms the day before about managing the game," Favre said. "I kind of joked, I said I never really believed in that. I think you play the game. Whatever's asked of you, you do. I don't manage. But I managed the game the other day, as bad as I hate to say that."

Favre smiled when he said the last part, though he was serious. "I've got no problems doing whatever it takes to win, believe me," he said.

Interim Rams coach Jim Haslett was the Saints' coach from 2000-2005 and saw plenty of Favre in the NFC. Haslett said he hasn't noticed much different about Favre.

"I'm kind of biased on him," Haslett said yesterday during a conference call with the New York media. "He's a guy that if people ask me, if you ever started a football team with anybody that ever played the game, who would it be? I would say Brett Favre. To me he's the greatest quarterback that's ever played the game. If he isn't the greatest, at least he's the most competitive. I love the guy."

Haslett disagreed with the notion Favre can't throw the deep ball as well anymore, but said he would welcome a slew of short throws to check-down receivers Sunday.

"I hope he keeps doing that," Haslett said. "He can make all the throws. He's unbelievable. The guy still has it."

He just hasn't shown all of "it" recently, at least in terms of what makes Favre Favre. Of course, Favre, who again stressed his arm isn't bothering him, threw seven interceptions in his previous three games. Game plans have been inconsistent, from too much running against the Raiders to not enough against the Chiefs.

"No doubt we're still trying to lock in on our identity and what we're trying to do," Favre said. "The one thing that is obvious is what's in front of us, what we have to do to get it."

Meaning, game manager or not, the Jets are 5-3 and in a three-way tie for first in the AFC East. "It's a good position," Favre said. "It obviously is fun for everyone. There are a lot of teams that are out of it at this point. There's no fun in that."

And Favre, who owns most of the league's career passing records, insisted the only fun he derives from the game now is winning.

"I tell people this all the time," Favre said. "At this stage in my career, there's not one thing left out there for me to achieve, not one thing that I set as far as goals, other than if I'm going to come here and play for the Jets, to win here. That's it."

Beating the Bills changed how people look at these Jets, and, by extension, Favre.

"This team is tied for first place," he said. "That's not too shabby. Could be better. I could be better. But in my 17 years of playing, 17 and a half, I could have always been a little better. I'm always trying to achieve being perfect. That's never gonna happen. I don't know if anyone's ever been completely perfect, but I'm still trying to achieve it."
Heathiee
CDNRodgersfan
15 years ago
LOL I'll believe it when I see it but the Jets play yesterday proved they can be scary if they get a running game cause then Brett can do his thing
longtimefan
15 years ago
one down
CDNRodgersfan
15 years ago
? LT
4PackGirl
15 years ago

one down

"longtimefan" wrote:

::lol:
TheEngineer
15 years ago
Brett showed some of this last year with the Packers when he would often try and play within himself more, and we all knew how great of a season he had. If he can make the smart decisions given his tremendous experience, the Jets could go far.
blank
buckeyepackfan
15 years ago
The big hurdle for The Jets is Thursday night. NE has owned them, if The Jets go to NE and come away with a victory, things will be looking real good for a deep playoff run.
Sometimes it is harder to get over the mental blocks than it is the physical.

Brett as a game manager.....don't think it will be an every week thing.

IMHO the passing game will be the key to a Jets win Thursday, NE is going to load up to stop the run, hoping Brett reverts to Ole' Gunslinger and throws them a couple of freebies.

Go Jets!!!!!......The farther they get into the playoffs, the better for The Packers.
I was addicted to The Hokey Pokey, but I turned myself around!
Fan Shout
dfosterf (52m) : Maybe
Mucky Tundra (1h) : Yes
Zero2Cool (2h) : No.
Mucky Tundra (4h) : End of a Degu-era
dhazer (5h) : Steelers sign Patterson because of new kickoff rule interesting
Zero2Cool (7h) : Former #Packers TE Josiah Deguara is signing a 1-year deal with the Jaguars, per source.
Zero2Cool (8h) : They do not do it for "content sake".
dfosterf (19h) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (27-Mar) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (27-Mar) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Against tbd
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (27-Mar) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (27-Mar) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (27-Mar) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
55m / Green Bay Packers Talk / buckeyepackfan

19h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

19h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Around The NFL / dhazer

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.