warhawk
15 years ago
I see McCarthy in a catch twenty two here. The line has not performed consistantly yet the main concern with changing personnel is how it will affect the consistancy of the overall line play.

There is a term called chopping off your nose to spite your face and I have a feeling McCarthy is fully aware of who he might replace with whom and the risk that these moves could actually make the situation worse.

I know 93 that "plodding along hoping it will get better" is not a fan's best solution and more drastic measures may better satisfy their appetite for some blood letting to vent that frustration. I understand that.

I remember a couple of years back when we were blown out a couple of games in a row and people wanted guys cut and Sanders fired and McCarthy stuck with the same guys and they had a great second half of the year. Who knows what would have happened if he had gotten trigger happy?

It's a huge disappointment the "0" line has not done a better job thus far and not many could see that coming considering the success they had the second half of last year bringing the run game around like that.

This is a big dilehma for Mac and there is no easy fix for it.

What's needed is for these guys to get their heads out of their butts and start playing like they know how to and worry about whose still around next year next year.
"The train is leaving the station."
Pack93z
15 years ago

What's needed is for these guys to get their heads out of their butts and start playing like they know how to and worry about whose still around next year next year.

"warhawk" wrote:

Exactly..

All I am saying, we are seeing the exact same issues with basically the same personnel in the third year of the coaching/system... something isn't functioning like it should.

I miss a guy like Larry Beightol right now.. he was a hell of a line coach that just wasn't afford much in terms of depth.. but he developed a number of solid players.

Lack of development is really my ax to grind here.. and why I am "down" on the position coaches.. we haven't seen a single player grow along that line.. not one..

Edit... take that back.. Spitz is becoming a solid NFL guard.. so one. 😉
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
Zero2Cool
15 years ago
There's a big difference with that year and this year. Those players now have experience under their belt and are still not performing.

A change on the OL is obviously needed. I'm not saying an overhaul, but a single move could make a huge difference.

Sometimes shaking things up a bit is just what needs to be done.
UserPostedImage
longtimefan
15 years ago
I am not going over ever post to see if this is there

talking bout the last series before the fg attempt

On Ryan Grant's two carries, the Packers used an I-formation with two tight ends and one wide receiver. Although the Packers do pass from it, that personnel grouping is designed to run against a defense that has been almost impervious to the run for 2 years.

"I guess I was a little surprised maybe that they were in 'U' personnel (two tight ends)," said Childress, now 1-5 against McCarthy. "I like my chances with my run defense when people get in two tight ends and want to pound the ball for positioning. Yeah, I'd rather see that."

One of Childress' veteran players, linebacker Ben Leber, appeared almost stunned.

"I thought they were going to try to get the ball closer," Leber said. "That's what I think most teams would do in that situation. Maybe they thought they were going to catch us off guard."

dfosterf
15 years ago
I'd sure like to throw 2 young guards into the mix.

Duke Robinson-- Oklahoma-- 6'5" 330 lbs. Could be there when we pick in 1st round.

Herman Johnson---LSU--- 6'7" 349lbs. Could be there when we pick in the 2nd round.

I know there is a draft thread, but I'm having a really bad Monday and would just like to throw this into this thread to make me feel better... ZBS trumped by good meat and potato linemen. Sorry for the thread diversion, but I WANT O LINEMEN... real ones.. not ZBSers.
DGB454
15 years ago

In my humble opinion, we are back to the days of Lindy Infante and Tom Braatz. Its time for this discussion to turn to the probability that we need to clean house and get a new GM and head coach, and that has nothng to do with the Favre Fiasco BTW. It has everything to do with the performance of the aforementioned individuala and their records. Ted Thompson and his west coast BS have been a disaster which didn't show itself last year but is now.

Trying to pinch nickles and hiring a coach who doesn't learn from week to week are killing us. Maybe Favre was right; we should be looking to Mooch to bail us out here.

"oskarliminga" wrote:

Just like he did for the Lions.
Packnic
15 years ago
Just like hes doing for the team that he currently works for. oh wait the other 32 GMs don't think so either.

And I also love that you don't think Mooch got a fair chance with Lions, but think 3 years is plenty of time for Mike McCarthy and TT.

I love guys who sit at home on computers and pretend to know more about the inner workings of the NFL than the guy that gets paid to run the team.

Damnit Mason Crosby.... couldn't you just have hit that kick then all this would go away. Ted Thompson would be a genius and Mike McCarthy would be talked about like a coach of the year candidate. until we lost again and then it would be OFF WITH THEIR HEADS again.
blank
longtimefan
15 years ago

And I also love that you don't think Mooch got a fair chance with Lions, but think 3 years is plenty of time for Mike McCarthy and Ted Thompson.

"Packnic" wrote:

your not talking about Oskar are you?
4PackGirl
15 years ago
LOL - i find it humorous that some are still beating up on our coach when a vikings fan said nobody outcoaches childress - ever.

i also find it humorous that oskar has brought up infante & the 80's - you're seriously in panic mode, huh? just the fact that you were a fan back then should give you a bit more clarity & calmness to the situation the team finds themselves in right now but apparently not.

newsflash - we lost some games this season that we probably coulda won & we won some games that we probably shoulda lost.

this team has been thru MORE this offseason than ANY i can recall. they held their shit together, nobody panicked, & rodgers has done a great job. patience is something that y'all have to learn.
15 years ago

I'm perfectly calm, even a bit amused. The tolerance for mediocrity and error appears to be gaining its old foothold in GB again is all I'm saying. The coaching staff has the tolerance (check out Mike McCarthy's press conference: "I don't see a discipline problem") and some fans around here seem to also.

I saw too many instances of people having it even going back to the 70's; "all Bart needs is another year", "Lynn Dickey may not be able to run, but he's got a great arm", etc. Some defenders of the coaching efforts these last two games just took me down memory lane.

What do you think Lombardi's press conference would have sounded like had he been runnng the game last Sunday?

We lost to Brad Childress folks. It was that bad. Some here are saying that had Crosby made the field goal we wouldn't be having this conversation. Wrong. We had no business even having a crack at that field goal if the Vikes QB hadn't played so poorly. The truth is, the Pack made three picks, ran back a punt, and almost stole a game. Other than those picks and the punt TD; this game was a blowout.

"oskarliminga" wrote:

Other than? OTHER THAN??? Other than has NO place in this conversation, because you're suddenly talking about a universe we don't live in.

I find it sad that people were so high on this team after the Colts game, and then we barely lose to a 9-0 team (now) and in the Metrodome, and it's doom and gloom. I find it sad that before the game in Minnesota, there was article after article about how the dome is a "carnival atmosphere" and they do a whole bunch of crap to try to distract you and get the noise level up, and then when we are guilty of some false starts it's "Discipline sucks, the O-line and the coaches have to go." I find it sad that we have the youngest team in the NFL, with a first year starter, we're one game out of the division lead with 7 to go, and everyone wants to hit the reset button.

This kind of negative crap is the reason I'm glad I don't live in Wisconsin. I can get away from it. I only pray that we beat the Bears when I fly there next week.
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
dfosterf (5h) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (12h) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (13h) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (13h) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (16h) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (19h) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (19h) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (19h) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (19h) : Against tbd
dfosterf (19h) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (19h) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (19h) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (19h) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (19h) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (19h) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (20h) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (20h) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (20h) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
beast (25-Mar) : Simply fined in the week to follow
beast (25-Mar) : I agree with one NFL official, it'll probably be like some of the helmets hits, not really called by the refs on the field but simply fined
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Hip drop is not. Super confusing. Referees job is harder
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Swivel hip drop is banned
dfosterf (25-Mar) : The hip drop enforcement will be in the form of fines, etc. Not flags
dfosterf (25-Mar) : A major foul will be enforced on the offense if there are offsetting penalties in a change of possession situation
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Teams will receive a 3rd challenge if 1 was successful. Previously, it took 2
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
5h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

5h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

5h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

12h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17h / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Around The NFL / dhazer

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.