Nonstopdrivel
13 years ago

Packers, Starks must run to win

Saturday, February 05, 2011
By Ray Fittipaldo, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

UserPostedImage
Packers running back James Starks ran for 123 yards against the Eagles in an NFC wild card playoff game at Lincoln Financial Field in Philadelphia Jan. 9, 2011.

IRVING, Texas -- Even the most casual football fan knows that Aaron Rodgers will start at quarterback in Super Bowl XLV Sunday night. By contrast, even the most ardent fans might not know who will be lining up behind Rodgers at running back.

History suggests the Packers will have to run the ball effectively to beat the Steelers, and the player charged with the task of trying to penetrate the Steelers' top-ranked rushing defense is James Starks, a rookie out of the University of Buffalo.

The NFL has transformed into a pass-happy league with offenses geared around quarterbacks and talented groups of receivers. The Packers fit that mold as Rodgers directs one of the league's best passing attacks, but coach Mike McCarthy is keenly aware that running the ball effectively will be a key component in the outcome.

"I've always said it, time and time again, run attempts and third-down production are two key statistics to an offense," McCarthy said.

McCarthy is a student of the game and must be aware of a little-known Super Bowl fact. In the previous 44 Super Bowls, the team with the most rushing attempts won the game 37 times. On five occasions, the team with the most rushing attempts have lost. (Opposing teams twice had the same number of carries in the game.)

Think of the most-prolific passing offenses in recent history. Tom Brady and the New England Patriots come to mind, but did you know that the Patriots had more rushing attempts than their opponent in each of their three Super Bowl victories? In the one Super Bowl the Patriots lost under Brady, the New York Giants had 26 rushing attempts compared to 16 for the Patriots.

The 1994 San Francisco 49ers creamed the San Diego Chargers, 49-26, in Super Bowl XXIX. Steve Young and Jerry Rice dominated the game, but the 49ers also rushed the ball 32 times to 19 for the Chargers.

This is not to suggest that the Packers have to run the ball early and often against the Steelers. But, at some point, the Packers are going to have to run the ball effectively if they want to win.

Starks figures to get most of those carries. The Packers lost starter Ryan Grant for the season in Week 1, and a host of others filled in as the featured running back the remainder of the season.

Starks is one of them, but he does not have much experience after dressing for two regular-season games once he overcome a hamstring injury.

In those game, he rushed for 93 yards. It was not until the playoffs that Starks became more effective. He rushed for 123 yards in a wild-card victory against the Philadelphia Eagles, the highest rushing total for a rookie in franchise history. He rushed for 66 yards in a divisional-round victory against the Atlanta Falcons and 74 yards and a touchdown in the NFC championship victory against the Chicago Bears.

"He's earned his opportunities," McCarthy said. "We're very pleased with the way he has matured and taken full advantage of his opportunity. He will be a factor in Sunday's game."

Starks rushed for more than 3,000 yards in his college career at Buffalo, but he missed his senior season with a shoulder injury and was not on the NFL general managers' short list last draft day. The Packers waited until the sixth round to take him.

"Everybody doubts you, and they don't know what you're capable of," Starks said. "So, when you get an opportunity to go out there and be successful and prove everybody wrong ... I just get a thrill out of that."

Starks will face a Steelers defense that allowed the Baltimore Ravens and New York Jets to rush for 35 and 70 yards in the first two playoff games. Despite the stinginess of the Steelers defense, the Packers do not plan on abandoning their running game. In each of their three playoff victories, they had more rushing attempts than their opponent.

"I think a team would play into the hands of the opposition if you throw every down," Packers offensive coordinator Joe Philbin said. "Your quarterback will be in one spot, and you would be asking your offensive linemen to block all day against every blitz and every defensive-line game. I don't know that you can do that."

The plan is to lean on Starks and other running backs to keep the Steelers honest.

"I think as an offensive lineman you want to believe you can run the ball on anybody," Packers guard Daryn Colledge said. "The word is the stats don't lie, and we know we're probably not going to go out there and break off 200 yards rushing, but we have to find a way to run the ball a little bit.

"It's part of what we do on offense. It's part of what sets up your play action and your fakes, so we've got to be able to threaten them with the run. I think when you play the best defense in the NFL, you get a little bit of a chip on your shoulder and you say, 'All right, let's go out and face them.' If we can get something done then, maybe we can say we were a little bit better than you were today."

Ray Fittipaldo: rfittipaldo@post-gazette.com or 412-263-1230.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11036/1123348-66.stm#ixzz1DP3E12bt 

UserPostedImage
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
13 years ago
story=fail
UserPostedImage
Pack93z
13 years ago
He ran it for almost 5 yard per carry against a defense that some said couldn't be run on.. I hardly call 5 yards a carry a fail.

When we wanted to run.. it was there for us. IMO.
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
13 years ago

He ran it for almost 5 yard per carry against a defense that some said couldn't be run on.. I hardly call 5 yards a carry a fail.

When we wanted to run.. it was there for us. IMO.

"Pack93z" wrote:

Back way down Pack93. Starks is not a fail. The STORY is a fail. It says that GB had to have more rushing attempts than Pitt to win.

McCarthy is a student of the game and must be aware of a little-known Super Bowl fact. In the previous 44 Super Bowls, the team with the most rushing attempts won the game 37 times. On five occasions, the team with the most rushing attempts have lost. (Opposing teams twice had the same number of carries in the game.)

Think of the most-prolific passing offenses in recent history. Tom Brady and the New England Patriots come to mind, but did you know that the Patriots had more rushing attempts than their opponent in each of their three Super Bowl victories? In the one Super Bowl the Patriots lost under Brady, the New York Giants had 26 rushing attempts compared to 16 for the Patriots.

The 1994 San Francisco 49ers creamed the San Diego Chargers, 49-26, in Super Bowl XXIX. Steve Young and Jerry Rice dominated the game, but the 49ers also rushed the ball 32 times to 19 for the Chargers.

UserPostedImage
Pack93z
13 years ago

Back way down Pack93. Starks is not a fail. The STORY is a fail. It says that GB had to have more rushing attempts than Pitt to win.

"wpr" wrote:

My bad.. I should have made it more clear.

Not saying you were referencing Starks as a fail.. more that we could have ran it on them if we wanted to.. as referenced by the ypc.

Sorry if it came off wrong.
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
13 years ago

"Pack93z" wrote:

My bad.. I should have made it more clear.

Not saying you were referencing Starks as a fail.. more that we could have ran it on them if we wanted to.. as referenced by the ypc.

Sorry if it came off wrong.

"wpr" wrote:

Well I was being lazy. I should have said "story=fail. Starks 4.55 ypc= success".
UserPostedImage
Dulak
13 years ago
damn you guys - making want to rewatch that philly game now ...
Greg C.
13 years ago
It's a lazy article. Will we ever get rid of the old saw about winning teams running the ball more? How many million more times will it need to be pointed out that teams that are in the lead run the ball more than teams that are behind? And the corollary: Successful offenses, even if they succeed mainly by passing, tend to get into down and distance situations that favor the run.

The writer also casts doubt on Starks because of his lack of experience. Yeah, we all know how important experience is for winning a Super Bowl. With the game behind us, the article reads more like wishful thinking than anything. But then, there were similar articles in the Wisconsin papers.

In the first half, the Packers ran the ball just enough to keep the Steelers honest. In the second half, they didn't even do that. And they won the Super Bowl against the best defense in the league. Case closed.
blank
zombieslayer
13 years ago
Starks ran 11 times. Aaron threw 39 times.

39 > 11 * 3

Writer = EPIC FAIL.
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage
(thanks to Pack93z for the pic)
2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. 🇹🇹 🇲🇲 🇦🇷
macbob
13 years ago

Starks ran 11 times. Aaron threw 39 times.

39 > 11 * 3

Writer = EPIC FAIL.

"zombieslayer" wrote:

What the writer SHOULD have written is Starks must run to win, or Steelers turn the ball over 3 times (including a pick 6), then the article would have been accurate.

Aaron threw 39 times for over 300 yds, 3 tds, and we only won by 6 pts in a game that the defense got 3 turnovers and scored a TD by themselves.

Without the three turnovers: Pass only game = loss
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (1h) : Former #Packers TE Josiah Deguara is signing a 1-year deal with the Jaguars, per source.
Zero2Cool (2h) : They do not do it for "content sake".
dfosterf (13h) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (19h) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (20h) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (21h) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Against tbd
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (27-Mar) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (27-Mar) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (27-Mar) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
beast (25-Mar) : Simply fined in the week to follow
beast (25-Mar) : I agree with one NFL official, it'll probably be like some of the helmets hits, not really called by the refs on the field but simply fined
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Hip drop is not. Super confusing. Referees job is harder
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Swivel hip drop is banned
dfosterf (25-Mar) : The hip drop enforcement will be in the form of fines, etc. Not flags
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
13h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

13h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

13h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

20h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Around The NFL / dhazer

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.