Nonstopdrivel
13 years ago

Packers should reveal QB's helmet info

By Gregg Easterbrook
Page 2
Archive

UserPostedImage

All across the United States, football players and their parents -- there are 500 high school football players for each NFL player -- are worried about concussions, which a report released last week shows are rising in incidence.

Aaron Rodgers of the Packers, who will start at quarterback in the upcoming Super Bowl, just switched to a helmet he thinks offers superior protection. Rodgers says the helmet prevented a concussion when he took a brutal blow to the head from Julius Peppers of the Chicago Bears in the NFC Championship Game.

So a Super Bowl quarterback has found a helmet that might reduce the concussion plague, protecting huge numbers of football players at the college, high school and youth levels. Good news?

Here's the catch -- Rodgers won't tell you what kind of helmet he switched to. Neither will the Green Bay Packers. A Super Bowl quarterback and his team have information that might increase neurological safety -- and won't share it.

During the regular season, Rodgers suffered two concussions. When he returned to the field late in the year, Rodgers said he had switched to a helmet that reduces concussion risk. But he wouldn't be specific, leaving college and high school coaches and players in the dark. A month ago, Tuesday Morning Quarterback asked the Packers to reveal the type of helmet on Rodgers' head, and a Packers spokesman said the team would not.

After the NFC title game, Rodgers told Peter King of NBC he thought his new helmet prevented the vicious hit by Peppers -- whom the league fined $10,000 for unnecessary roughness -- from causing another concussion. "As much as the new helmet feels uncomfortable and I'm still getting used to it, I'm really happy I was wearing it on that hit,'' Rodgers said to King. But King's report did not include the critical item of information that all other football players, and the parents of young players, need -- namely, what kind of helmet.

[img_r]http://a.espncdn.com/photo/2011/0131/pg2_a_rodgehelmet_200.jpg[/img_r]So I asked the Packers again. Jeff Blumb, the team's director of public relations, told me, "I did check again on your behalf, and that's still not information we're comfortable sharing outside of our building."

Each year 1.1 million boys, and a few girls, play middle school and high school football.

All risk permanent neurological harm, while few will receive a college sports scholarship and hardly any will earn a dime in the NFL. Many high school football players -- probably the majority, there are no definitive statistics -- take the field in outdated-design "shell" helmets without any concussion-resistant engineering. They do so partly because new-generation helmets cost about $200 each, and many high schools have budget problems.

But the main reason large numbers of high school players wear obsolescent helmets is that below the level of the pros and big colleges, coaches, parents and athletic directors have no idea which helmets are best. They look to the top of the sport, the NFL, for guidance -- and receive none. Now a Super Bowl team, the Green Bay Packers, believes its quarterback is safer in a particular helmet type, and won't reveal the information that might reduce brain injury risk throughout the sport.

Like any athletic enterprise, the Packers have reason to keep game plans, training techniques and other such specifics private. But safety information should never be proprietary. Any information that improves sports safety should be declared openly, to all.

NFL teams may be squeamish about revealing which helmets players wear because they think such an action makes them liable for any harm someone might sustain after donning a helmet of that type. As TMQ detailed here in November, this view is likely to be incorrect, in legal terms. But if Green Bay is being held back by a mistaken belief about liability, the NFL needs to step in, and say, clearly, what helmet type and model is worn by Rodgers. Safety information must never be withheld from the public. Withholding safety information is irresponsible. If a Super Bowl quarterback has found a helmet type that he believes reduces concussion risk, the team and the league have an ethical obligation to share the details.

Riddell is the NFL's helmet provider; players are free to wear other helmets, so long as they obscure the brand. This is why the white stripe on the back of an NFL helmet may say a team's name; that means the player is not wearing a Riddell, and has covered the Riddell logo. But just knowing a helmet brand isn't enough -- the model must be known, too. Riddell and Schutt, the leading manufacturers of football helmets, sell helmets engineered to reduce concussion risk and helmets that lack such engineering. The public needs to know both the brand and the model of whatever is on the head of Aaron Rodgers.

Riddell's advanced Revo Speed model (which my older son wore when playing college football) and the Schutt DNA (which I bought my young son when he played JV) are designed to reduce concussion risk, and data show this works. Is Rodgers wearing a Riddell Revo Speed or a Schutt DNA? The Schutt Ion helmet also has advanced engineering -- is Rodgers wearing an Ion? Is he wearing a Xenith X1, a new helmet brand designed around concussion prevention? Is he wearing the new Rawlings Quantum, which goes on the market soon, and was designed to reduce concussion risks? The public needs to know.

None of these helmets assures against concussions. The best case is that an advanced helmet reduces the wearer's risk by lowering concussion incidence. Even in the best new helmets, concussions can occur and can be severe. Getting improved helmets onto every football player's head will be no panacea -- other reforms are needed to make the game less dangerous. But getting a concussion-resistant helmet onto every player's head is an important first step.

Though the NFL has been encouraging players to switch to any of the advanced helmets mentioned above, the NFL does not mandate their use. This is a short-sighted policy TMQ has been objecting to since the Riddell Revolution, the first-generation helmet engineered to reduce concussion risk, went on sale eight years ago.

Regardless, a starting quarterback in Sunday's Super Bowl has found a helmet brand and model that he believes offers superior protection against concussions. Yet he won't say what the helmet is, and the Green Bay Packers won't say either. Rodgers and the Packers should be widely criticized for this. Why won't they tell the country's million high school football players, and the players' parents, what the NFL knows about safety?

In other football news, it's hard to think of a more appealing Super Bowl pairing than the Packers, winners of the first two Super Bowls, versus the Steelers, with a league-best six Super Bowl trophies. The pairing is especially appealing since the Packers were established in 1919 and the Steelers in 1933, yet they have never met in the playoffs.

I can't wait to take my seat at Cowboys Stadium in a place that is definitely not Dallas, and I know you'll be tuned in for the kickoff at VI:XX Eastern. See below for a few scout's notes, and an item on how the Steelers and Packers were built.

And don't get up to make a sandwich during the fourth quarter! In recent Super Bowls, the fourth quarter has been the best part.

In the past three Super Bowls, 70 points were scored in the first three quarters, then 59 points were rung up in the fourth quarter. Three years ago in the Jersey/A-New England Super Bowl, the Patriots contained Eli Manning 'til the fourth quarter, when he threw for 152 yards, the rate of a 600-yard passing game. Two years ago in the Pittsburgh-Arizona Super Bowl, the Steelers contained Kurt Warner 'til the fourth quarter, when he threw for 247 yards, the rate of a 1,000-yard passing game. Last year in the Indianapolis-New Orleans Super Bowl, the Saints won their rings by outscoring the Colts 15-0 in the fourth quarter.

And what happened the last time the Steelers and Packers played, during the 2009 season? There were 38 points in the first three quarters, 35 points in the fourth quarter. The Packers and Steelers combined for 323 yards of offense in the fourth quarter -- the rate of a 1,200-yard game -- as the fourth-quarter possession results were touchdown, field goal, touchdown, field goal, touchdown and finally touchdown by Pittsburgh, to win, on the game's final play.

So if recent Super Bowls, and the most recent Packers-Steelers game, are any guide, don't go anywhere in the fourth quarter. That's when the fun begins.

In column news, the Tuesday Morning Quarterback Challenge returns -- limited engagement. See below.

Stat of the Week No. 1 Super Bowl coaches Mike McCarthy and Mike Tomlin have a combined 9-3 postseason record.

Stat of the Week No. 2 The Pittsburgh defense allows 3 yards per rush and 6.3 yards per pass -- both NFL-best figures.

Stat of the Week No. 3 The Packers' and Steelers' offenses have allowed a combined 95 sacks, about the same as allowed by playoff teams New Orleans, New England, Indianapolis and Atlanta combined.

Stat of the Week No. 4 Pittsburgh made the Super Bowl despite a terrible passing game statistically in the postseason -- eight sacks, average of just 157 yards per game passing net, 75.5 passer rating for Ben Roethlisberger.

Stat of the Week No. 5 Green Bay's six regular-season losses were by a combined 20 points.

Stat of the Week No. 6 Since the start of the 2009 season, the Steelers are 16-4 when Troy Polamalu plays and 6-8 when he does not.

Stat of the Week No. 7 Pittsburgh has the league's best defense against points, and Green Bay has the second-best defense against points.

[img_r]http://a.espncdn.com/photo/2011/0131/pg2_broncoserica_200.jpg[/img_r]Stat of the Week No. 8 When Aaron Rodgers is at quarterback, Green Bay has averaged 34 points per game in the playoffs.

Stat of the Week No. 9 Five of the past six teams to reach the Super Bowl -- Green Bay this season, New Orleans and Indianapolis last year, Pittsburgh and Arizona the year before that -- did not have a 1,000-yard rusher.

Stat of the Week No. 10 The Packers and Steelers enter the final game on a combined 8-0 postseason streak.

Cheerleader of the Week Erica of the Denver Broncos, who according to her team bio hosts a TV show on a Denver local-access channel and has been reading "In Defense of Food" by Michael Pollan, which contends that people should eat the foods -- mostly plants -- that our distant ancestors ate. The book's position is similar to advocacy of the Paleolithic diet.

[...]

Super Bowl Scout's Notes: When the Packers and Steelers met in 2009, the result was an Arena League-like 37-36 final score. The teams combined for 848 yards passing versus 125 yards rushing. Counting sacks and scrambles, the coaches combined to radio in 104 passing plays against just 27 rushes. From the middle of the fourth quarter until the scoreboard read all-naughts, Pittsburgh coaches called 22 consecutive passing plays. Maybe it's just as well Vince Lombardi didn't live to see that contest. But the game sure was fun to watch.

A few things jump out from film of that game. One is that Ben Roethlisberger, who throws the deep sideline route better than any other NFL quarterback, made most of his big plays, including the winning touchdown pass as time expired, along the deep sideline.

Green Bay coaches have two weeks to look at Steelers film. There's no way they will miss this. So you'd expect the Packers to be prepared for deep sideline routes. Which means Green Bay might expect the Steelers to surprise them by throwing down the middle. Which means the deep sideline routes might be there -- reverse psychology. In that game, Aaron Rodgers made his big connections in front of the safeties. Which Steelers coaches cannot fail to notice. Which means -- you get the rest.

Kicking a field goal to pull ahead 30-28 with four minutes remaining, Steelers coach Mike Tomlin elected to onside kick. It was a brilliant call, though it didn't work. Afterward, old-timers complained that Tomlin wasn't showing faith in his defense. Tomlin, as defense-minded as they come, was playing the percentages: Had the onside succeeded, and surprise onsides usually do, Pittsburgh would have been in the driver's seat. Because Green Bay remembers that onside, and because an onside was a deciding play in last year's Super Bowl, there's no way Pittsburgh will onside kick in this Super Bowl, right? More reverse psychology may be in store.

The Packers tackled poorly in their 2009 loss. Even an average defensive performance would have led to Green Bay victory. At the endgame, Green Bay clinging to a lead, the Packers used mainly a three-man rush which backfired, allowing a completion on fourth-and-7, another pivotal completion with 20 seconds remaining, then the winning touchdown on the final snap. On the fourth-and-7 conversion, Green Bay had eight to cover five, yet there was only a linebacker on Santonio Holmes (then with Pittsburgh), who made a 32-yard gain. If the Packers hold a late lead again and use the three-man rush again, they'll have only themselves to blame.

Watch the Pittsburgh offensive line on rushing plays. Often the Steelers' line uses an unorthodox "double-side" blocking technique in which blockers simply push whichever way the defensive front seven players are moving at the snap. In double-side blocking, many rushes are stuffed, while occasionally there's a gaping hole for a long run. Most offensive coaches don't like double-side blocking because the technique is so unpredictable. But chaos reigns when the Steelers have the ball, whether it's a rush or a pass.

When the Packers have the ball, the sideline looks like a subway station as players shuffle in and out. Surely the Steelers have spent their long two-week break practicing getting situation packages of defenders on and off the field quickly as the Packers substitute. Perhaps the Packers will go no-huddle, in order to force the Pittsburgh defense to play only with starters.

When everyone expects a high-scoring game (Pat Forde expected the BCS title game to end 49-45), your columnist expects low scoring (actual was 22-19). When everyone expects low scoring, TMQ predicts a high-scoring game. Considering the Steelers and Packers are both top defensive teams, everyone's forecasting a low-scoring game, which makes TMQ think we're in for a scoreboard-spinner. That, after all, is what happened the last time Green Bay and Pittsburgh met.

http://www.schuttsports.com/aspx/Sport/ProductCatalog.aspx?id=792  But because of licensing with the NFL and Riddel or whoever, I don't think they are allowed to say. I know they have to take the marking off the helmet.

This article illustrates what separates Aaron Rodgers from most of the quarterbacks in the league. Unlike any other quarterback I'm aware of (most definitely including Ben Roethlisberger), Rodgers' passer rating actually goes up in the playoffs. That is a remarkable achievement.
UserPostedImage
Greg C.
13 years ago
That's very weird that the Packers won't reveal the helmet info. It's not like the helmet gives them a competitive advantage. I mean, I wouldn't think they would want to deprive other teams of a safety device. The NFL isn't THAT cutthroat, is it?

I enjoy reading these articles that were written before the Super Bowl, knowing how the game turned out.
blank
Nonstopdrivel
13 years ago
For contractual reasons, they are prohibited from endorsing any brand of helmet other than Riddell. Coming out and saying, "Schutt's AiR XP Elite protected me from a concussion after a devastating hit by one of the premier pass rushers in the league" could, in our litigious society, be construed as an endorsement, which might lead to a lawsuit when some kid wearing said helmet sustained a concussion anyway. Not only would making such public statements conceivably violate the terms of the contract with Riddell, it could lead to serious liability in the case of a lawsuit.
UserPostedImage
13 years ago
This guy is blowing this out of proportion and being a little ridiculous in the process. One case (Rodgers) is NOT enough proof for kids everywhere to go out and buy the same helmet. There are a few brands out there that promote greater concussion protection. Why are Rodgers and the Packers being labeled as final helmet judge here? Shit article.
UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
13 years ago
lol they make it sound as if the Packers developed and produced the helmet @ 1265. Give me a break, the helmet is out there for anyone who has the cash.

If it truly does help reduce concussions, hopefully the NFL goes way of NASCAR when they mandated the HANS device on its drivers.
UserPostedImage
Nonstopdrivel
13 years ago
Technically, no helmet can protect against concussions; they can only protect against traumatic brain injury. No matter how good the helmet is, the brain is still going to collide with and rebound off the skull when the impact occurs. It's that collision and recoil that is at the root of concussions.
UserPostedImage
13 years ago

Technically, no helmet can protect against concussions; they can only protect against traumatic brain injury. No matter how good the helmet is, the brain is still going to collide with and rebound off the skull when the impact occurs. It's that collision and recoil that is at the root of concussions.

"Nonstopdrivel" wrote:

I heard the boys from "Explorers" are designing a zero inertia helmet that will completely prevent concussions.
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (11h) : Chase Young to sign $13M contract with Saints
Zero2Cool (11h) : Yosh to Panthers what noooo. Wait he didn't do crap
wpr (18-Mar) : I say that he is technically HER BIL as he married her sister. I checked it out, he's considered my BIL as well. Sad.
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : wpr, I assume its your BIL via marriage to your wife? If so, I can figure out where the smarts in the family went ;)
wpr (18-Mar) : Mucky my B-I-L is Bare Stupid. I could write a book.
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : As a teenager in Rockford IL I would get heckled by adults in public for wearing GB gear
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : if you think the online ones are bad, try *living amongst* them
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : Never doubt wprs loyalty. Poor guy is surrounded by Bears fans in Northern IL
wpr (17-Mar) : pass Martha. Thanks for the invite though.
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : blog * as the same ugly Illinois colors were adopted by the Baer
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : WPR, perhaps you should be joining the Bears fans blog has the same ugly Illinois colors were adopted by the Bears
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : Ah a fellow U of Illinois hater. I can respect that though I imagine it's for different reasons
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : BTW. I didn't catch the game. I just hate Illinois.
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : They're your Big Ten Chumps and you will like it!
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : No, not for the record. Referee's handled that BS. Orange team was trash ass
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : *Your* Big Ten Chumps for the record
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : No, not Big Ten Champs. IL is big ten CHUMPS
wpr (17-Mar) : Big Ten Champs
wpr (17-Mar) : !!!
wpr (17-Mar) : INI
wpr (17-Mar) : ILL
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : Wisconsin with an outstanding on in the men’s Big Ten basketball tournament. Let’s hope it continues in the NCAAs
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : Almost like taking QB in 2020 even if you don't need one is good move.
Mucky Tundra (16-Mar) : 2021 QB Draft class looking like a real clunker
Mucky Tundra (16-Mar) : A conditional 6th rounder? I remember Bears fans arguing they'd get a day 2 pick at worst lol
dfosterf (16-Mar) : So I got the no extension part right and the have to wait on the CW physical wrong
Zero2Cool (16-Mar) : Bears are trading Justin Fields for a 2025 6th-round pick that goes to a 4th-round pick based on playtime, per sources.
Zero2Cool (16-Mar) : Former Packer Jarrett Bush opens Wisconsin’s first blow dry bar in Green Bay
dfosterf (16-Mar) : If the Bears are not doing a deal with Washington, they also cannot trade Fields until Williams physical with them. All hail Caleb Williams!
dfosterf (16-Mar) : The talent is undeniable, but the (advertised) haul is obscene.
dfosterf (16-Mar) : If the Bears are cutting a deal with the Commanders, in either scenario, cannot happen until williams passes a Commanders physical
dfosterf (16-Mar) : My guess is no to the Fields extension, but yes to the trade back with the Commanders.
dhazer (15-Mar) : I think the Bears do a Love extension and they will trade out of the 1st pick and take the haul
Martha Careful (15-Mar) : that might make sense
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Justin Fields to Steelers?
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Kenny Pickett. Eagles. Done.
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : They can claim best two WR tandem.
Mucky Tundra (15-Mar) : Aaron Donald retiring
dhazer (15-Mar) : Campbell signing with 49ers
dhazer (15-Mar) : I love how the Bear Fans are now claiming they have the best skill players in the NFC North lol
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Vikings made a move to get a 2nd first round pick
Mucky Tundra (15-Mar) : That's a not a bad deal for the Bears
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Bears have traded for WR Keenan Allen sending Chargers a fourth rounder.
Martha Careful (15-Mar) : *signs
Martha Careful (14-Mar) : MLB Devon White science with the Eagles
Mucky Tundra (14-Mar) : But that was before FA started
Mucky Tundra (14-Mar) : Dhaze, I thought Kurls would be their #1 target when I read that he was an Amos comp (jack of all trades guy)
dhazer (14-Mar) : I would like to see the Packers target 2 more FA still available Kamren Curl Safety and Chase Young edge
Martha Careful (14-Mar) : wow...didn't see that coming
Zero2Cool (14-Mar) : AJ Dillon re-signing with Packers.
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders