Jacob
  • Jacob
  • Rookie Topic Starter
15 years ago
http://myespn.go.com/blogs/nfcnorth/0-6-128/A-beatdown-at-Lambeau.html 

GREEN BAY, Wis. -- Tailback Ryan Grant turned the corner and was rumbling toward a mess of players near the goal line Sunday. The pile kept moving backward, and upon closer inspection there was a clear reason: Jordy Nelson, the Packers' rookie receiver, was driving Chicago cornerback Corey Graham backward with a block that would have made the great Packers lineman Jerry Kramer proud.

Graham wound up on his back at the 1-yard line -- a full 22 yards downfield from the line of scrimmage. If there was one visual that demonstrated how Green Bay overpowered the Bears in a 37-3 victory, it was the sight of a 217-pound receiver pancaking a cornerback known for his run support.

"Just part of our job as receivers," Nelson said afterward. Veteran Donald Driver, however, knew better.

"Our coaches told us we needed to have a swagger about ourselves today," Driver said. "We had to come in this week and prove it. Our job as receivers was to come in and block more than we had in previous games. I think we went out and did that."

The Packers didn't just beat the Bears, they beat them up. Nelson's block was only one in a series of physical mismatches Sunday. Green Bay's lines outmuscled the Bears, leading to a 117-yard differential in rushing production (200 to 83), and the its defense limited Chicago to nine first downs and 22 minutes, 32 seconds of possession.

The Bears played into Green Bay's hands by inexplicably pulling back on their run defense. But in the end "we just stunk it up," quarterback Kyle Orton said.

"When you get beat by 30 points," Orton added, "you don't have to look too far."

The Packers, for one, looked inward during practice last week after Minnesota manhandled their lines at the Metrodome. Coach Mike McCarthy elevated the intensity of practice, requiring players who typically rest chronic injuries to participate fully, and made clear he was expecting more fight from his team.

"We were challenged, as we should have been," center Scott Wells said. "We probably had our poorest performance last week and we had a solid performance today. We challenged ourselves. The team challenged us, and it worked out."

McCarthy did his share by calling 38 running plays versus 30 passes, the second-largest differential the Packers have achieved this season. Grant (145 yards) and backup Brandon Jackson (50) typically were 3 or 4 yards downfield before the first Bears defender touched them.

"This is November football and this is how you have to do it," McCarthy said. "There's no doubt about it."

Apparently, someone forgot to give the Bears a calendar. After shutting down Tennessee's vaunted running game last week, the Bears believed they could do the same against Green Bay -- even if they watered down their run defense to protect against the pass.

Coach Lovie Smith and defensive coordinator Bob Babich employed a three-man defensive line in certain situations, using linebacker Nick Roach near the line of scrimmage. But the gamble backfired, much to the delight of the Packers.

"To be honest," quarterback Aaron Rodgers said, "I was a little surprised by the way they played us. ... I think they felt like their front seven was going to be able to stop us running the ball, [but] early on we established the line of scrimmage."

The Bears' postgame locker room was a surly place after absorbing the type of beatdown they have long applied to their opponents. Smith denied he had overlooked the Packers' running game -- "They just dominated us today -- period," he said. But safety Mike Brown sounded the alarm.

"[It's] perception and reality," Brown sad. "Our perception is that we have a good defense. The reality is we don't."

Brown, who has been speaking honestly about the defense's diminished state for two weeks, reiterated: "Our defense isn't what it used to be."

He added:

"Everyone wants it to be what it used to be, and it's not that. It's all about performance and we haven't been performing well. Wherever we're ranked that's where we deserve to be ranked. It is what it is. Once we come to grips that our defense isn't what it's supposed to be, we'll all be better off.

For the record, the Bears entered Week 11 with the 17th-ranked defense.

The collapse deprived the Bears of an opportunity to establish some distance with the rest of the division. A victory Sunday would have given the Bears a one-game lead over Minnesota and two games above the Packers. Instead, all three teams are 5-5 with six games remaining.

"Somebody has to emerge from the pack," Green Bay cornerback Charles Woodson said. "Hopefully that will be us."

The Packers have as good of a chance as anyone, especially with the Bears reeling and the Vikings facing the possible imminent suspensions of their Pro Bowl defensive tackles. It seemed like an increasingly possible outcome Sunday, especially after watching the Packers throw the Bears all over the field.

Which brings us to another visual, one that puts a book-end on Nelson's block. (We started with an image. Why not finish with one?)

Late in the second quarter, Bears kick returner Devin Hester was knocked out of bounds after a 22-yard kickoff return. Hester ran full speed into Packers defensive tackle Colin Cole, who was standing on the sideline and wasn't involved in the play. The collision stopped Hester cold, knocking him to the ground so violently that officials flagged Cole for unnecessary roughness.

"He ran into me," Cole said. "He fell backwards. I don't know what they expect to happen. He's 185 pounds. I'm 325 pounds. You had a little guy running at me and coming to an abrupt halt. I guess it was a little too abrupt."

That's the kind of day it was for the Bears. They were the little guys. The Packers were the brick wall.

Kevin Seifert wrote:

Zero2Cool
15 years ago
Sorry dude, some jerk barely beat ya to the post.
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
dfosterf (7h) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (14h) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (15h) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (15h) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (18h) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (21h) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (21h) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (21h) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (21h) : Against tbd
dfosterf (21h) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (21h) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (21h) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (21h) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (21h) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (21h) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (21h) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (21h) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (22h) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
beast (25-Mar) : Simply fined in the week to follow
beast (25-Mar) : I agree with one NFL official, it'll probably be like some of the helmets hits, not really called by the refs on the field but simply fined
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Hip drop is not. Super confusing. Referees job is harder
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Swivel hip drop is banned
dfosterf (25-Mar) : The hip drop enforcement will be in the form of fines, etc. Not flags
dfosterf (25-Mar) : A major foul will be enforced on the offense if there are offsetting penalties in a change of possession situation
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Teams will receive a 3rd challenge if 1 was successful. Previously, it took 2
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
7h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

7h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

7h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

14h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

19h / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Around The NFL / dhazer

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.