wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member Topic Starter
12 years ago
Mark Murphy: We are going to retire Favres number 

Former Packers quarterback Brett Favre has been a constant topic on the sixth annual Tailgate Tour and team president Mark Murphy was asked about the eventual retirement of the No. 4.

Eventually, hell come back into the fold. We are going to retire his number, Murphy said to a round of applause. He deserves that for what he did as a Packer. There are very few players in our history that had their number retired. He deserves it though. But its a very, very meaningful honor and we want to do it at a time when its meaningful for both him and the organization.

I think its probably going to be a few years. We want to make sure that hes really retired first. We made that mistake when he first retired after the 2007 season. Ironically, we were going to retire his number and have a big ceremony at the opening game that next season against the Minnesota Vikings. Little did we know hed end up playing that season for the Jets.

Former receiver Antonio Freeman elaborated on Favre and his relationship to the organization.

This is a league and a world of second chances, Freeman said. So, I think at one point in time well have to give Brett Favre a second chance to come back home. He did have a very meaningful career here. Im personally biased because he and I shared so many magical moments. He was my quarterback for, basically, my entire career. He was a guy who threw me all of my touchdowns.

Things like this, youre torn because as a player you see the drive to want to continue to play football, so you appreciate that. But you never appreciate the fact that he puts on purple on Sundays as his second career. So, thats a problem. But in due time, hell be back.

Since the Vikings were part of the Favre discussion, Murphy asked former defensive tackle Gilbert Brown to give his thoughts on the color purple.

Ive got two things about purple, Brown said. No. 1, grown men should never wear purple. Two, they look like 11 little Barneys out there. Three, the Vikings are horrible.

Murphy then added a little jab by saying, And also their stadium has a hole in it.

Go get em Gravedigger! :thumbleft:
UserPostedImage
StoicFire
12 years ago
I figured the number would eventually be retired, and it I think it is definitely deserved.

Oh, and that Gilbert Brown quote is fantastic!
"the Quarterback can run if he wants to, but with this rocket attached to your body... who would?" -Aaron Rodgers
macbob
12 years ago
This was already posted under the tailgate tour thread, but is funny enough to read twice...
UserPostedImage
wpr
  • wpr
12 years ago

This was already posted under the tailgate tour thread, but is funny enough to read twice...

"macbob" wrote:

I missed it. :facepalm:
UserPostedImage
Nonstopdrivel
12 years ago
I think they should wait to retire #4 until after they have retired #12.
UserPostedImage
wpr
  • wpr
12 years ago

I think they should wait to retire #4 until after they have retired #12.

"Nonstopdrivel" wrote:

I don't. I think they should retire them in the SAME ceremony. :icon_smile:
UserPostedImage
Nonstopdrivel
12 years ago
Interesting idea. Put them on the same podium together. 😃
UserPostedImage
Dexter_Sinister
12 years ago
Let Minnesota retire it.
I want to go out like my Grandpa did. Peacefully in his sleep.
Not screaming in terror like his passengers.
buckeyepackfan
12 years ago
Ted thompson will be long gone from Green Bay before The Packers retire Brett's Jersey.

Just too much bad blood both ways, I'm not trying to start a big debate here, it is what it is, in the end it will all get done.

I'm betting Ted will stay another 3-5 years, after he leaves, there will be plenty of time to Retire #4.
I was addicted to The Hokey Pokey, but I turned myself around!
Zero2Cool
12 years ago

Ted thompson will be long gone from Green Bay before The Packers retire Brett's Jersey.

Just too much bad blood both ways, I'm not trying to start a big debate here, it is what it is, in the end it will all get done.

I'm betting Ted will stay another 3-5 years, after he leaves, there will be plenty of time to Retire #4.

"buckeyepackfan" wrote:

In all of the articles and interviews I've read and heard, I never got the impression Ted had anything against Brett so I'm not sure how bad blood is going both ways. Ted has a picture of Brett Favre hanging up in his office.
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (49m) : Former #Packers TE Josiah Deguara is signing a 1-year deal with the Jaguars, per source.
Zero2Cool (1h) : They do not do it for "content sake".
dfosterf (12h) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (19h) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (20h) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (20h) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (23h) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Against tbd
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (27-Mar) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (27-Mar) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (27-Mar) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
beast (25-Mar) : Simply fined in the week to follow
beast (25-Mar) : I agree with one NFL official, it'll probably be like some of the helmets hits, not really called by the refs on the field but simply fined
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Hip drop is not. Super confusing. Referees job is harder
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Swivel hip drop is banned
dfosterf (25-Mar) : The hip drop enforcement will be in the form of fines, etc. Not flags
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
12h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

12h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

12h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

19h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Around The NFL / dhazer

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.