Pack93z
  • Pack93z
  • Select Member Topic Starter
15 years ago
Good article..

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/2008/11/free-agency-buyer-beware/ 

Readers of my columns may have a sense by now that I am not an advocate of prolific spending on free agents as a method to improve a team. It is a purported quick fix to a problem that, in more cases than not, becomes more of a problem than the problem it was designed to fix. Spending good money on a free agent usually means that another method of improving the team at a certain position usually the draft has failed, leaving a hole to fill that becomes an expensive problem. Free agency thus often becomes a price that teams pay for not drafting well. It may well compound the problem.

When a team signs a free agent, there is instant gratification. The media trumpets the move, the public and fans think the team is doing what it needs to get better, the incoming player and agent are all smiles with their new team and financial windfall, and the moment is all good. At some point in the future, reality sets in that the team is sitting with a big contract that it cannot rid itself of for a few years. The hope is obviously that the player becomes what everyone wants and expects him to be. The reality is that it doesnt happen nearly as much as teams believe it will.

Football is different than baseball, where free agency is more seamless. Baseball players hit, field and pitch and can take those skills into different teams, albeit with some strategy differences. Basketball is a team game, but a game involving five players that play offense and defense. Football is schematic, with dramatically different schemes and coverages from team to team. A free agent may have had great success in one scheme only to find limited to no value in another. Thus, free agency can be a dangerous game for easy transfer of ability from one team to another.

In the NBA, there were 10 players who signed contracts in the offseason valued at more than 55M. Three are not playing due to injury, and five of the six others are averaging less than 16 points per game (only the Warriors Andris Bierdins is averaging more). So far that money does not seem to be well spent.

In the NFL, there are probably at least three teams re-thinking their 2008 strategy in free agency. The Raiders just released one of their marquee signings, DeAngelo Hall, after sinking 8M of a potential 70M into him. Javon Walker is now lost for the season with15 catches in nine games for his 12M in guarantees; Tommy Kelly has four sacks to go with his 15M in guarantees.

The Jaguars paid top-of-the-market price for Jerry Porter, [img_r]http://www.thefantasykickoff.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/07/jerry-porter-jaguars_nc.jpg[/img_r] a former Raider, and Drayton Florence, a former Charger. Porter has seven catches, and Florence has been underwhelming, especially in light of his 36M contract with 13M in guarantees, with no interceptions.

And the Miami Dolphins can be none too pleased with their high-priced acquisitions. They were able to salvage a 7th round pick from the Panthers for Josh McCown and the 2.5M they gave him in February. Ernest Wilford and his 6M bonus is playing behind Greg Camarillo who just go his own new contract, as the Dolphins learn from experience that rewarding their own may be more productive than rewarding those from other teams. Wilford has produced the following for the Dolphins after ten games: one catch, 15 yards.

Recent years spending has proven to have similar underwhelming results. The 49ers just placed their marquee signing of 2005, Jonas Jennings, on injured reserve after less than two games played this season, marking the third time he has had surgery on his shoulder. His 36M contract with the team will likely be terminated prior to next season.

And what do you think the Cardinals think now of the 30.5M contract they gave to Edgerrin James in 2006? (probably about the way the Seahawks feel about the 62M contract they gave to Shaun Alexander that same year). The likelihood of James receiving next years salary of 5M is about the same as you or I receiving that salary from the Cardinals.

To be fair, there are large free agent signings that work. Charles Woodson has been a wonderful addition for the Packers. [img_r]http://www.spokesmanreview.com/stories/2007/oct/15/woodsonpic15_10-15-2007_58BP8EO.jpg[/img_r] Kawika Mitchell was a productive free agent for both the Giants and the Bills. Micheal Turner is certainly helping the Falcons this year; Bernard Berrian has provided a deep threat for the Vikings.

Much more often than not, however, free agents provide little bang for the buck. In working for a team, we were shown statistics every year by the NFL Management Council reminding us of the meager production from unrestricted free agents, a subtle message from the NFL that money does not buy winning teams. These cautions would fall on deaf ears to the teams that were always in the free agent game and probably not needed for the teams that already were practicing that avoidance, but the message was clear and given out every year: the free agent route is a minefield that has potentially dire financial consequences.

Like this year and every year since the start of Free Agency in 1993, however, teams will line up to throw stupid money at the prime free agents in the first week of March. A few will be stars, some will be middling, and many will be no better than what the team already had at that position, just more expensive.

There is often a reason players are free agents and not previously re-signed by their teams. The phrase buyer beware resonates with this form of improving ones team.

"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
dhazer
15 years ago
Not a bad story but it did strike me funny that for the busts he mentioned where just average players. Also he didn't even get the facts straight so im not reading much into this. Hall was traded to the Raiders for one ( not a Free Agent). But i see your point of the post wasn't bad.
Just Imagine this for the next 6-9 years. What a ride it will be 🙂 (PS, Zero should charge for this)
UserPostedImage
HoustonMatt
15 years ago

Also he didn't even get the facts straight so im not reading much into this. Hall was traded to the Raiders for one ( not a Free Agent).

"dhazer" wrote:

And then subsequently rewarded with a huge contract. I can't speak for Andrew, but it seems to me that he's arguing more against handing out huge contracts to players outside your organization. It's a risky proposition that turns out bad more often than not.
blank
dfosterf
15 years ago
Excellent article, I assume it was Brandt.

I agree with it 99.99%

Good one to post, Pack!
Zero2Cool
15 years ago
Good stuff ... I can see why he and Ted got along so well.
UserPostedImage
longtimefan
15 years ago

Not a bad story but it did strike me funny that for the busts he mentioned where just average players. Also he didn't even get the facts straight so im not reading much into this. Hall was traded to the Raiders for one ( not a Free Agent). But i see your point of the post wasn't bad.

"dhazer" wrote:

so an known cap guru for the packers for how many years, has ties to numerous insiders, players, agents, coaches etc, and you are not going to "read to much into it"

As someone else epointed out he finialzed a deal BEFORE being traded...

So while not a true free agent, he did sign a huge NEW deal before the trade could be ok'd by him.

Free Agent= player gets new team with a new deal

DeAngelo Hall= player that agreed to a new deal before allowing atrade

maybe read this then 

Atlanta Falcons cornerback DeAngelo Hall says he will finalize a contract with Oakland by Thursday morning, allowing the trade sending him to the Raiders to be completed.

alharrisdude31
15 years ago
the falcons picked up BIG in the free agency,as well as the draft
Matt ryan is one deadly qb already!!!
Rockmolder
15 years ago
I do agree that the chance of a FA not being that good, while getting a big contract, is pretty big. I mean, look at Desmond when he went to Oakland or Scott Mitchell from Miami to Detroit.

The chance of your rookie being a bust though, is alot higher. Even the first round picks seem to be 60/40 or something into living up to their hype.

I don't get why they don't study these FAs more closely. I mean, before getting Hall, couldn't the Raiders have looked at him and seen themselfs that he isn't a great man-to-man cover CB?

That seems to be one of the strengths of the Packers organization though, getting players that fit into their system and contribute alot, while not giving up to much for them.
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (1m) : No.
Mucky Tundra (2h) : End of a Degu-era
dhazer (2h) : Steelers sign Patterson because of new kickoff rule interesting
Zero2Cool (5h) : Former #Packers TE Josiah Deguara is signing a 1-year deal with the Jaguars, per source.
Zero2Cool (6h) : They do not do it for "content sake".
dfosterf (16h) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (23h) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (27-Mar) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (27-Mar) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Against tbd
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (27-Mar) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (27-Mar) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (27-Mar) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
beast (25-Mar) : Simply fined in the week to follow
beast (25-Mar) : I agree with one NFL official, it'll probably be like some of the helmets hits, not really called by the refs on the field but simply fined
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
17h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

17h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

17h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Around The NFL / dhazer

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.