Dexter_Sinister
12 years ago

But this almost never happens in overtime, and that is just my problem with it.

I think that both teams should get a chance to touch the ball, but for a different reason than many other people. I certainly have a strong sense of fair play, and when my team doesn't get to touch the ball, I complain just as much as the next guy. But for me, the biggest problem with sudden death in football is the way it changes the game itself. Solid, aggressive, offensive play gets sacrificed for plodding, conservative plays designed to get the offense just inside field goal range. The touchdowns -- the most exciting event in football -- are deemphasized almost to the point of nonexistence in favor of the much less thrilling field goal. I would rather see coaches settle for field goals only as a last resort, whereas under the current overtime rules, they frequently become the primary goal. No one wants to risk the public scrutiny that comes with losing the ball due to an interception or fumble.

I would rather see a fixed overtime period instituted; whether it is five minutes or 15 is neither here nor there to me. Have the teams duke it out for the entire overtime period. If they are still tied when time expires, they either play another overtime period or the game ends in a tie -- either result would be fine with me. I have never understood what is so distasteful about ties. In many sports throughout the world, ties are a normal occurrence in league play.

I think baseball probably has the fairest "overtime" procedure, but there is no way to bring a directly analogous system to football.

By the way, for those of you who think it is "so much PC garbage" that fans would object to the flipping of a coin giving (that is, chance) giving one team a statistically significant advantage in overtime, let me ask you this: Would you be equally sanguine about the league abolishing the current rules for opening kickoffs? Would it be acceptable to you if whoever won the coin toss was allowed to receive (or kick) at the beginnings of both halves? The whole point of the current system is it largely negates the advantage of the coin flip. In a game that is supposed to be much more about strategy, strength, speed and skill than luck, what is so objectionable about that?

Originally Posted by: Nonstopdrivel 

I have always been of the opinion that an overtime period like Basketball would be the most fair. Who ever leads at the end of the extended period wins.

Maybe like half a quarter or something.
I want to go out like my Grandpa did. Peacefully in his sleep.
Not screaming in terror like his passengers.
Porforis
12 years ago

Also, the idea of giving each team a chance to score is not "PC garbage." It is called fairness, which is the idea behind all rules in sports. It continually amazes me that so many people endorse rules that are patently unfair.

Originally Posted by: Greg C. 

Speaking of PC garbage, fairness is behind all rules in sports? First of all, "fair" is heavily subject to opinion. Fair is not absolute. Fair is what YOU think is fair, and not everyone agrees with you on that. I'm not saying that your opinion of fair is wrong, I'm telling you that your opinion is your opinion.

There's never been rules that are designed to protect the health and safety of quarterbacks and punters that haven't been extended to all players? In basketball, why does the player with the ball get to drive the lane and initiate physical contact with defenders as long as they don't barrel them over, but defenders can't do the same to the person with the ball? In baseball, why are the rules worded so that a runner that hits the bag at the same time he's being tagged, he's called safe?

The majority of rules ARE about trying to be as fair as possible, however there are rules designed to make the game more exciting, protect specific classes of players from injury, speed up gameplay, etc etc etc.
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member Topic Starter
12 years ago

Speaking of PC garbage, fairness is behind all rules in sports? First of all, "fair" is heavily subject to opinion. Fair is not absolute. Fair is what YOU think is fair, and not everyone agrees with you on that. I'm not saying that your opinion of fair is wrong, I'm telling you that your opinion is your opinion.

There's never been rules that are designed to protect the health and safety of quarterbacks and punters that haven't been extended to all players? In basketball, why does the player with the ball get to drive the lane and initiate physical contact with defenders as long as they don't barrel them over, but defenders can't do the same to the person with the ball? In baseball, why are the rules worded so that a runner that hits the bag at the same time he's being tagged, he's called safe?

The majority of rules ARE about trying to be as fair as possible, however there are rules designed to make the game more exciting, protect specific classes of players from injury, speed up gameplay, etc etc etc.

Originally Posted by: Porforis 

Then there is the NBA All Star who is allowed to "make his move" IE: travel and not get called for it. The MLB All Star pitcher who is given 2-3 extra inches off the plate by the umpire. The All star hitter who does not get called out on strikes. NFL marquee players who are not called for their hits on defense, holding- both offense and defense players, QB's who are given the benefit of the doubt many times as well. (Instant replay protests have minimized some of what the QB use to get away with.)

In other words "if your name is 'big' enough the rules don't always apply to you".
UserPostedImage
Greg C.
12 years ago

Wow, you guys are really conceding the high ground here. Of course fairness is subjective. All values are subjective, but that doesn't mean they don't matter. Are you also going to throw out morality, loyalty, respect, etc.?

You are right that there are rules that are not specifically designed to address fairness, so I guess that was an overstatement on my part. I didn't expect to be taken so literally. For example, the rule that a football field is 100 yards long has nothing to do with fairness. It is a rule that helps define the character of the game.

The bottom line for me on the OT debate is that each team should be given an equal chance to win, as much as possible, rather than having a coin flip that tips the balance toward one team right off the bat. None of the other major sports has this problem with its overtime. In baseball, the home team does have an advantage, but there is no way around that one and nobody has a problem with it.

I think the current NFL playoff OT rule pretty much gets it right. It strongly encourages the team that receives the ball to try getting a TD, rather than just picking up a few first downs and winning it with a field goal. This addresses Nonstopdrivel's point about conservative offensive play in overtime, which is unsatisfactory to a lot of people. It just feels cheap for a team to win that way.
blank
Porforis
12 years ago

Wow, you guys are really conceding the high ground here. Of course fairness is subjective. All values are subjective, but that doesn't mean they don't matter. Are you also going to throw out morality, loyalty, respect, etc.?

I never said that striving for what most people consider to be fair was a bad thing in the slightest.

You are right that there are rules that are not specifically designed to address fairness, so I guess that was an overstatement on my part. I didn't expect to be taken so literally. For example, the rule that a football field is 100 yards long has nothing to do with fairness. It is a rule that helps define the character of the game.

The bottom line for me on the OT debate is that each team should be given an equal chance to win, as much as possible, rather than having a coin flip that tips the balance toward one team right off the bat. None of the other major sports has this problem with its overtime. In baseball, the home team does have an advantage, but there is no way around that one and nobody has a problem with it.

Penalties for running into the kicker don't define the character of the game, but they do protect a specific class of character. I don't know if you honestly didn't see the emphasis put on the whole "Some positions get treated more fairly than others" thing or chose to just focus on something that's easier to disagree with, but again, my main point was that specific positions get special treatment, offensive players get treated differently than defensive players from a safety perspective in football as well as other sports, etc etc etc.

I think the current NFL playoff OT rule pretty much gets it right. It strongly encourages the team that receives the ball to try getting a TD, rather than just picking up a few first downs and winning it with a field goal. This addresses Nonstopdrivel's point about conservative offensive play in overtime, which is unsatisfactory to a lot of people. It just feels cheap for a team to win that way.

I do agree that there are problems with the current OT situation, but in attempting to "fix" this rule, you're going to make new problems which have already been brought up in previous posts.
Porforis
12 years ago

Then there is the NBA All Star who is allowed to "make his move" IE: travel and not get called for it. The MLB All Star pitcher who is given 2-3 extra inches off the plate by the umpire. The All star hitter who does not get called out on strikes. NFL marquee players who are not called for their hits on defense, holding- both offense and defense players, QB's who are given the benefit of the doubt many times as well. (Instant replay protests have minimized some of what the QB use to get away with.)

In other words "if your name is 'big' enough the rules don't always apply to you".

Originally Posted by: wpr 

While certainly true, that's more of an issue of officials enforcing rules in an unfair way, not the rules themselves being unfair.
mi_keys
12 years ago
I've always hated the argument that a team had chances to win it in regulation so they have no room to complain if they lose on the first possession of overtime. If regulation ended in a tie then presumably the other team that won in overtime squandered just as many opportunities in regulation as the losing team.

The fact is the current system gives an advantage to the team that wins the coin toss--an event that is decidedly and irrefutably a non-football event. Teams at every level from peewee to the pros don't go from tackling drills to practicing coin flips. We don't flip a coin to decide if a receiver got his hands under the ball on a diving catch that the refs couldn't see, we check a replay. We don't flip a coin when a touchdown is scored to see if it is worth 6 or 7 points. At no other junction in the game do we allow coin flips or any other game of chance decide any relevant aspect of the game of football. This is a game of skill, not a game of skill and chance. If you're interested in the latter watch poker.

If they kept the rules as is but changed the coin flip to a best-of-three Oklahoma drill to decide who got the ball first I would be fine with that. At least the statistical advantage of having the ball first in overtime would be decided by something football related. That said, I would just rather they adopt the college system. It is so much more entertaining and, yes, fair.
Born and bred a cheesehead
wpr
  • wpr
12 years ago

While certainly true, that's more of an issue of officials enforcing rules in an unfair way, not the rules themselves being unfair.

Point is that even when there are rules to determine "fairness" life(games) still ends up being unfair. Oh well.
UserPostedImage
wpr
  • wpr
12 years ago

I've always hated the argument that a team had chances to win it in regulation so they have no room to complain if they lose on the first possession of overtime. If regulation ended in a tie then presumably the other team that won in overtime squandered just as many opportunities in regulation as the losing team.

Originally Posted by: mi_keys 

I guess you hate my perspective. I can live with it even if I don't hate yours. Both teams probably did squander opportunities. Maybe it was the fickle finger of fate that ruined it for one of the teams more so than poor play. Who knows. Perhaps an unexpected, untimely gust of wind that blew the FG attempt wide. Maybe it was a bird flying through the area that got "Randy Johnson-ed" and ruined the PAT.

The fact is the current system gives an advantage to the team that wins the coin toss--an event that is decidedly and irrefutably a non-football event.

yes, so? The visiting team is the one calling the toss. They are at a statistical disadvantage because they are playing on the road. Calling the toss even things up a bit. Coin tosses are not a "non-football event". They have been using coin tosses since the beginning at the start of the game. It is therefore, a football event.

Teams at every level from peewee to the pros don't go from tackling drills to practicing coin flips. We don't flip a coin to decide if a receiver got his hands under the ball on a diving catch that the refs couldn't see, we check a replay. We don't flip a coin when a touchdown is scored to see if it is worth 6 or 7 points. At no other junction in the game do we allow coin flips or any other game of chance decide any relevant aspect of the game of football. This is a game of skill, not a game of skill and chance. If you're interested in the latter watch poker.

silly analogy. The coin flip is only to determine who goes first. Not to determine the outcome of any play. The offense still has to execute. The defense still has to collapse in order for a team to win on the first possession. The team winning the toss only wins about a third of the time. With the kickoff being moved up the percent will decrease. Even knows this before hand. It is equitable for both teams.

And by the way there is indeed chance involved in a game. Players combine their skill with chance. On a timing pass, it is a chance that the DB will miss read and break left when the receiver breaks right. The QB can't wait and see what happens. He throws not knowing for certain. A defender takes a chance when he jumps a route and anticipates where the throw is going to be. Certainly there is skill involved but it is not skill alone.

If they kept the rules as is but changed the coin flip to a best-of-three Oklahoma drill to decide who got the ball first I would be fine with that. At least the statistical advantage of having the ball first in overtime would be decided by something football related. That said, I would just rather they adopt the college system. It is so much more entertaining and, yes, fair.

Lobby for it, get it passed and I will be fine with it.
Equal possessions for peewee and high school is fine with me. Not so much in college (don't like it but I will tolerate it) nor at the professional level.
UserPostedImage
mi_keys
12 years ago

I guess you hate my perspective. I can live with it even if I don't hate yours. Both teams probably did squander opportunities. Maybe it was the fickle finger of fate that ruined it for one of the teams more so than poor play. Who knows. Perhaps an unexpected, untimely gust of wind that blew the FG attempt wide. Maybe it was a bird flying through the area that got "Randy Johnson-ed" and ruined the PAT.

Though I don't think you took it this way it was nothing personal, I just disagree with you on this issue. Wind is part of the game (unless you're a pansy from Minnesota and you play indoors). Kickers are supposed to compensate for the elements. If they fail to do so it is on them. Odds are if weather was a factor it was a factor for both teams for most if not all of the game. How often has a bird been struck by a field goal or extra point? How often have animals in general significantly impacted the outcome of an important play?

yes, so? The visiting team is the one calling the toss. They are at a statistical disadvantage because they are playing on the road. Calling the toss even things up a bit. Coin tosses are not a "non-football event". They have been using coin tosses since the beginning at the start of the game. It is therefore, a football event.

How? Who calls the toss is irrelevant. They have a 50% chance of being right. There is no strategy or ability involved in a coin toss. The away team is just as likely to win the coin toss if they call it as they would be if the home team called it. Coin tosses are a "non-football event" insomuch as they are irrelevant to any skill, attribute, quality, or thought process you would develop from playing the game. The two teams could just as easily play rock, paper, scissors at the start of a game to decide who kicks off and it would not have the slightest impact on the game of football. If you lined up Clay Matthews with a 1st grader at a local elementary school and had them play 1,000,000 games of coin toss they would split the series at about 50%. That would not be true for anything else in football.

silly analogy. The coin flip is only to determine who goes first. Not to determine the outcome of any play. The offense still has to execute. The defense still has to collapse in order for a team to win on the first possession. The team winning the toss only wins about a third of the time. With the kickoff being moved up the percent will decrease. Even knows this before hand. It is equitable for both teams.

Except for in overtime, with sudden death, the team that gets possession of the ball first has an inherent advantage. This is born out in the statistics. According to an article from advanced NFL stats, during 2000-2007 teams that won the coin toss won 60% of the time (compared to home teams only winning 51% of overtime games). That number seems about right given what I remember being cited just about every time a game goes to overtime.

For the team that wins the coin toss all they have to do is drive into field goal range and score (this hardly requires a collapse from the defense as you put it). For the team that losses the coin toss they have to stop the other team and then their offense has to come out and score (unless you have Al Harris, because he's just awesome).

If both teams get stopped on their first possession then the team that won the coin toss gets the ball back and now they've had two chances to the other team's one. No matter how long this goes on the team that wins the toss will either have the same number of chances to score (if the other team scores) or one more chance to score (if they score).

Since the team that wins the coin toss wins the game 60% of the time, that means on average they have had .6 more possessions per overtime game than the team that losses the toss. Or in other words, that's 74 more possessions for the teams that won the coin toss over the 124 overtime games from 2000-2007. That is NOT equitable.

And by the way there is indeed chance involved in a game. Players combine their skill with chance. On a timing pass, it is a chance that the DB will miss read and break left when the receiver breaks right. The QB can't wait and see what happens. He throws not knowing for certain. A defender takes a chance when he jumps a route and anticipates where the throw is going to be. Certainly there is skill involved but it is not skill alone.

There's a huge difference between taking calculated risks and playing a game of chance. When you talk about jumping routes that comes down to the defensive back having studied game film on their opposition, knowing tendencies, and making a snap judgment effectively on what's the expected costs or gains to his decision. For instance, Tramon Williams' pick six against the Falcons this past year was a product of him recognizing the play from film study. He jumped the route, not knowing for certain he had the right read, but knowing the odds were heavily in his favor. He made a good decision which turned out to also be the right decision. He stacked the odds in his favor through his diligence in the film room and his ability to recognize key tells in Atlanta's offense. And as you've phrased it, misreading isn't even chance, it's making a mistake. It's the same thing for a quarterback and reading the defense for a timing route.

There is no analogous situation for a coin flip. You can't study film on it and make a better decision. There is no pattern to read and no way to improve your odds. It is pure chance.

http://www.advancednflstats.com/2008/10/how-important-is-coin-flip-in-ot.html 
Born and bred a cheesehead
Fan Shout
dfosterf (18m) : Suit him up and have him stand in front of the big board as a draft day cautionary tale.
Zero2Cool (1h) : Packers sign T Andre Dillard.
Mucky Tundra (16h) : Adds most of the information this time of year comes from agents.
Mucky Tundra (16h) : @RealAlexBarth Bill Belichick says accurate draft information doesn't leak from teams until about 12 hours before the draft. Adds most of th
Mucky Tundra (16h) : I am very happy that for moment, Jordan Love seems like a normal human being
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : Belichick * whatever
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : "There's a lot of depth at Offensive Tackle and Wide Receiver." Bill Bellichick
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : Thanks! I can't believe it's over haha
Martha Careful (16-Apr) : Congratulations
Zero2Cool (16-Apr) : Boom. Student Loan. $0.00. Only took about 20 years.
Zero2Cool (14-Apr) : Packers DT Kenny Clark: New defensive coordinator Jeff Hafley will 'allow us to be way more disruptive'
Zero2Cool (12-Apr) : Saints have agreed to terms on a contract with former Packers wide receiver Equanimeous St. Brown.
beast (12-Apr) : No, but of it's for legislation, then half of the country will find it evil, not good, whatever it says....
Mucky Tundra (12-Apr) : Draft is still 2 weeks away. UGH
dhazer (11-Apr) : Does anyone know of a good AI generator to create letters of Support for legislation?
Zero2Cool (11-Apr) : Gordon "Red" Batty retires as equipment manager
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Sounds like that's pretty certain now.
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Packers "at" Eagles in Brazil. Week One
dfosterf (10-Apr) : Va' Fazer As Malas Va' !
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Mark Murphy tipping us off?
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : “We’re either the first- or second-most popular team in Brazil.”
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Christian Watson got married. Wife better be careful with those hamstrings!! 😂😂
dfosterf (9-Apr) : Those poor bastards
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Falcons have signed former Packers CB Kevin King, who has been out of football since 2021.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Collectively, we need to spend more time in what we have, when analyzing ostendible needs and historical proclivities
dfosterf (8-Apr) : I say he is better than so many of these draft picks
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Question of the week for me: Has anyone besides me done any deep dive into the potential of Alex McGough, our 3rd string qb?
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Or in Tunsil's case, something gets released day of draft or day before lol
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Seems every year someone does something pre-draft.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Falling down drunk. The draft board
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Allright! Potential character guy/f#×k up pickup in D'Vondre Sweat!
Zero2Cool (7-Apr) : Go Badgers!!!
Martha Careful (6-Apr) : Go Boilermakers!!!
Martha Careful (5-Apr) : Diggs has not stepped up in the playoffs and has a high cost
beast (5-Apr) : Probably not going to let Diggs walk away unless he's horrible... but according to reports he also might not be as good as he used to be.
beast (5-Apr) : The 25th pick in the draft has been an offensive player since 2017, 2 TE, 2 WR, 1 RB, 1 OC
Mucky Tundra (5-Apr) : Odd, why give up a 2025 2nd Rounder for him if you're just gonna let him walk?
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : Texans to let Diggs be free agent in '25
buckeyepackfan (4-Apr) : 49r's aign RB Patrick Taylor.
Martha Careful (4-Apr) : Reversion to the mean would indicate we will keep it
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : It's also been utilized in a trade in 14 of the past 20 years
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : The 25th pick in the draft hasn't been made by it's original holder since 2016.
Mucky Tundra (4-Apr) : Gotta imagine that Green Bay vs Houston will be a primetime game this upcoming season
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : No. Kill QB. No worries. 😁
Mucky Tundra (3-Apr) : Diggs, Collins, Dell and Schultz is gonna be tough to cover
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : Stefon Diggs' trade will not be processed as a post-June 1 designation, so that is just over $31 million in dead cap this year.
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : Bills trading WR Stefon Diggs to the Texans in exchange for a 2025 2nd-round pick. (via @rapsheet)
beast (3-Apr) : Using Patterson as RB and RB/WR tweener... so I think they also signed Patterson as a 3rd down RB, not just a kick returner as articles are
beast (3-Apr) : I think PFT missed the real Steelers/Patterson connection, Steelers new OC Arthur Smith has been Patterson's head coach the last 3 years
wpr (2-Apr) : It has Martha. I was stunned when I was in HS to learn Iowa was still playing half court BB in the 70's.
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
1h / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

1h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

3h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

14h / Random Babble / Mucky Tundra

16h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

16-Apr / Random Babble / Martha Careful

15-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

12-Apr / Random Babble / Nonstopdrivel

12-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

11-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.