Zero2Cool
12 years ago
[duh] I know, I know ... I apologize, but the concept of posting snippets (or portions) of material from another site is being abolished effective immediately. If anyone posts content from another site, the post will be deleted and the offending member will receive a Private Message informing them their post was deleted.

A good deal of time was spent debating what to do and what was best for PackersHome. Eliminating off site material and encouraging members to provide input an opinions in their own words is the conclusion. It is evident the best discussions snowball from members own opinions and not that of material that was snipped and linked. The off site material clutters the board and buries good PackersHome homegrown material.

You might be thinking, "What if I find a great article that others should be aware of?". First, great question, second, we do exactly as Shawn has done in the quote below. He found an inspiring article that sparked words to flow from his keyboard and linked to the article of said inspiration.

Albeit some might not agree with the notion that those in the armed forces or patriotism as a whole warrants special consideration, the NFL took the proper steps in allowing players  to wear this nations colors in the peripheral attire in recognition of the ten year anniversary of the 9/11 attacks.

Of course there is branding issues (sponsorship and endorsement related) rules to followed (money being the primary concern in this culture of greed), I think the NFL did the correct thing in general by allowing some flex in the rules for the occasion.

IMO, it is the least the sport can do is to allow the players to have some personal influence on how they wish to support the anniversary via their attire.

Chris Gizzi running out onto the field at Lambeau with the flag in tow is a burnt in memory.. maybe a new one is formed via freedom in expression from the current players.

Originally Posted by: Pack93z 

In rare instances there is off site material that must be shared and shared in entirety, send a Private Message to Pack93z or Zero2Cool with a link to the off site content. If either agrees, they will make the necessary post crediting whomever made the off site material discovery.

We're confident this will procure many more solid an intriguing discussions and keep the ignorant editors that don't understand how the internet works, off of my ass! It's a win for PackersHome and a win for PackersHome!

Everyone's understanding and full cooperation is greatly appreciated.
UserPostedImage
Pack93z
12 years ago
I am going to through it here for reference more so.. but what about images hosted on other sites. IE Hot-linking the images in?
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
Zero2Cool
12 years ago

I am going to through it here for reference more so.. but what about images hosted on other sites. IE Hot-linking the images in?

Originally Posted by: Pack93z 

Images are fine. I'll be developing a module that will eliminate the need for hot linking images.
UserPostedImage
gbguy20
12 years ago
Really takes away from the site in my opinion. I come here because I like the idea of being able to come across good packer articles from a variety of sources while at the same time being immersed in discussion. If I found a good article with good quotes in it that I would like to share I don't see why it should be such a process in order to share it. Having to paraphrase an article into my own words seems like a waste of time, since it is already written, and written much better than I could do it. I don't know about anyone else but my writing is awful compared to that of the writers.

Just my 2 cents. Don't know if it is wanted or not but I felt like sharing it. Feel free to delete this.
Zero2Cool
12 years ago

Really takes away from the site in my opinion. I come here because I like the idea of being able to come across good packer articles from a variety of sources while at the same time being immersed in discussion. If I found a good article with good quotes in it that I would like to share I don't see why it should be such a process in order to share it. Having to paraphrase an article into my own words seems like a waste of time, since it is already written, and written much better than I could do it. I don't know about anyone else but my writing is awful compared to that of the writers.

Just my 2 cents. Don't know if it is wanted or not but I felt like sharing it. Feel free to delete this.

Originally Posted by: gbguy20 

Of course feedback and input is appreciated. I understand and respect what you are saying.

Do you know you just did exactly what's being asked? You took my post, wrote your opinion on the subject I covered and put it in your own words. 😄

Professional writers and editors are naive on the benefits of their material spread wide on the internet. It's not their responsibility to understand. What they fail to understand is, when their material is spread around, it is seen by MORE eyes and gives them MORE ad revenue click opportunities.

Where I agree with them is when they see 60% - 70% of their material being posted on one site, which is what was going on. That's eliminating the readers temptation to hit the sources site, because as you said, you can just go to one site to get access to all articles.

I know this concept change won't be popular. Please respect me not wanting to be popular to writers and editors via email and threats to shut PackersHome down. There's been a LOT of time and sacrifice to build this site and to maintain it.

You mentioned when you come across an article that you like, it's too much effort to write a summary of the article in your own words. Then the article wasn't that good, in my opinion.

You also mentioned that you're not as talented of a writer as those who are professional writers. Who gives a damn? When you read an article and come across something interesting, come to PackersHome, start a thread to spark a discussion on it. We're here to DISCUSS the Packers, not criticize ones writing. Sure, Rourke bitches about others writing, but he bitches about everything. Who cares?

I promise you, no one in their right mind is going to say "Damn, I have several things I want to respond, but this guy wrote an article with poor flow so .. .screw it!".

What I'm saying is, no one expects Pulitzer prize material when they come to PackersHome, they come for intelligent outside of the box thinking and discussions. I firmly believe everyone here can contribute to this direction.
UserPostedImage
beast
12 years ago
And what happens if we quote something short.. have it linked.. and don't tell you guys?

You're gonna be upset and delete it? ...

I think people should be allowed to quote some small portions... and if some small portions sum it up then they shouldn't have to add more.

I understand you don't want mean emails from writers... but they should be fine with us quoting a small portion and linking it. Of course how you define small could be interesting...

I guess what I'm saying is i don't mind the rule as long as it's not strictly enforced, unless people are posting most part of articles or something... and give warning for the people that don't know.

So the new linking deal will ask us to make post like this?

The good news is he's not out for the season, after getting injured in the season opener, but the bad news is he's out for at least four weeks (maybe more) with a broken collarbone 

UserPostedImage
Pack93z
12 years ago
On the top header bar there is a Packers News  block, it is a collection of RS type feeds... I know it is not the same as many threads.. but it does provide a summary of current articles.
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
Zero2Cool
12 years ago
Damn, Rourke had a nice long post that I wanted to respond to. I had to revert to the backup version of the database because the upgrade failed. Sorry Rourke.
UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
12 years ago
Most respectful journalists simply want their work sourced.

Horsecrap Journalism of the Week Award: To FOX, for taking my quote from Tony Dungy about Lee Roy Selmon and putting it on the screen of the Lions-Bucs telecast without sourcing.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writers/peter_king/09/11/week.1/index.html#ixzz1XkZRs2eX 

Peter King wrote:

UserPostedImage
macbob
12 years ago
Is YouTube out?

edit:

And can we link to the Packers Weekly Dope Sheet, that is made available on Packers.com for download?
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (5h) : Chase Young to sign $13M contract with Saints
Zero2Cool (5h) : Yosh to Panthers what noooo. Wait he didn't do crap
wpr (18-Mar) : I say that he is technically HER BIL as he married her sister. I checked it out, he's considered my BIL as well. Sad.
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : wpr, I assume its your BIL via marriage to your wife? If so, I can figure out where the smarts in the family went ;)
wpr (18-Mar) : Mucky my B-I-L is Bare Stupid. I could write a book.
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : As a teenager in Rockford IL I would get heckled by adults in public for wearing GB gear
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : if you think the online ones are bad, try *living amongst* them
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : Never doubt wprs loyalty. Poor guy is surrounded by Bears fans in Northern IL
wpr (17-Mar) : pass Martha. Thanks for the invite though.
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : blog * as the same ugly Illinois colors were adopted by the Baer
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : WPR, perhaps you should be joining the Bears fans blog has the same ugly Illinois colors were adopted by the Bears
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : Ah a fellow U of Illinois hater. I can respect that though I imagine it's for different reasons
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : BTW. I didn't catch the game. I just hate Illinois.
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : They're your Big Ten Chumps and you will like it!
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : No, not for the record. Referee's handled that BS. Orange team was trash ass
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : *Your* Big Ten Chumps for the record
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : No, not Big Ten Champs. IL is big ten CHUMPS
wpr (17-Mar) : Big Ten Champs
wpr (17-Mar) : !!!
wpr (17-Mar) : INI
wpr (17-Mar) : ILL
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : Wisconsin with an outstanding on in the men’s Big Ten basketball tournament. Let’s hope it continues in the NCAAs
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : Almost like taking QB in 2020 even if you don't need one is good move.
Mucky Tundra (16-Mar) : 2021 QB Draft class looking like a real clunker
Mucky Tundra (16-Mar) : A conditional 6th rounder? I remember Bears fans arguing they'd get a day 2 pick at worst lol
dfosterf (16-Mar) : So I got the no extension part right and the have to wait on the CW physical wrong
Zero2Cool (16-Mar) : Bears are trading Justin Fields for a 2025 6th-round pick that goes to a 4th-round pick based on playtime, per sources.
Zero2Cool (16-Mar) : Former Packer Jarrett Bush opens Wisconsin’s first blow dry bar in Green Bay
dfosterf (16-Mar) : If the Bears are not doing a deal with Washington, they also cannot trade Fields until Williams physical with them. All hail Caleb Williams!
dfosterf (16-Mar) : The talent is undeniable, but the (advertised) haul is obscene.
dfosterf (16-Mar) : If the Bears are cutting a deal with the Commanders, in either scenario, cannot happen until williams passes a Commanders physical
dfosterf (16-Mar) : My guess is no to the Fields extension, but yes to the trade back with the Commanders.
dhazer (15-Mar) : I think the Bears do a Love extension and they will trade out of the 1st pick and take the haul
Martha Careful (15-Mar) : that might make sense
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Justin Fields to Steelers?
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Kenny Pickett. Eagles. Done.
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : They can claim best two WR tandem.
Mucky Tundra (15-Mar) : Aaron Donald retiring
dhazer (15-Mar) : Campbell signing with 49ers
dhazer (15-Mar) : I love how the Bear Fans are now claiming they have the best skill players in the NFC North lol
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Vikings made a move to get a 2nd first round pick
Mucky Tundra (15-Mar) : That's a not a bad deal for the Bears
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Bears have traded for WR Keenan Allen sending Chargers a fourth rounder.
Martha Careful (15-Mar) : *signs
Martha Careful (14-Mar) : MLB Devon White science with the Eagles
Mucky Tundra (14-Mar) : But that was before FA started
Mucky Tundra (14-Mar) : Dhaze, I thought Kurls would be their #1 target when I read that he was an Amos comp (jack of all trades guy)
dhazer (14-Mar) : I would like to see the Packers target 2 more FA still available Kamren Curl Safety and Chase Young edge
Martha Careful (14-Mar) : wow...didn't see that coming
Zero2Cool (14-Mar) : AJ Dillon re-signing with Packers.
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
2h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

11h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

18-Mar / Around The NFL / Mucky Tundra

16-Mar / Random Babble / Martha Careful

16-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / TheKanataThrilla

15-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dhazer

15-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

14-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

14-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

14-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

13-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.