DakotaT
12 years ago

Who the fuck is using the Vikings as an example on HOW TO build a winner? In my post briefly explaining a top level core structure I did not mention the Vikings.

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

Page 1.
UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
12 years ago

Page 1.

Originally Posted by: DakotaT 

Wow, that is helpful. Good work! You really proved your point there. Holy tooters do I see all of those posts saying the Vikings are an example on how to build a winner!! I did not see anyone say what the Vikings SHOULD do to build a winner. No sir, that was not said at all!

You are super observant!

Can you tell I'm getting tired of this ignorant bullshit??
UserPostedImage
Formo
12 years ago

Building a winner starts with the GM putting in place the right guy at Quarterback. That is step 1 and the Vikings have never learned that. It is incredible the amount of wasted talent that has gone through that franchise because they didn't have the great player at the number 1 position.

Packer fans should consider themselves the luckiest fvckers on the planet.

Originally Posted by: DakotaT 

I agree with both paragraphs.

I've been ok with the Chilly regime because he helped bring a lot of talent to the franchise, most of whom Vikings fan still enjoy. But one of his mistakes was NOT getting the QB spot taken care of ASAP. T-Jack could be a good enough excuse except for the fact that he was drafted in the worst possible way and Chilly stuck with him far too long. Most of us Viking fans are hoping that Ponder will be a solid career QB for us.
UserPostedImage
Thanks to TheViking88 for the sig!!
zombieslayer
12 years ago
Vikings aren't such a bad model. Their year was 2009. They had the 2nd best team in the NFL. The Saints were the best team by a field goal in OT. And Formo agrees with me on this, but I think had Henderson not been injured, they beat the Saints in that game. Both the Saints and the Vikings were better than the Colts that year.

Now the problem with that model is obvious. They didn't have the depth that we did. Injuries to their DBs and OL killed them and their DL which was once a wall got old.

DakotaT is right - the first piece should always be the QB and you build a team around that first piece.

πŸ‡ΉπŸ‡Ή is fully aware that πŸ‡¦πŸ‡· is his bread and butter. Check his drafts. Last two seasons, our first round picks have been OTs to protect our investment. Every season we draft a WR to give him weapons.

I can tell you right now what our 2012 draft will look like. In the first two rounds, an OL will be drafted. We'll also pick up yet another WR. In the 4th through 7th rounds, we'll take another OL. Everything else will be depth unless πŸ‡ΉπŸ‡Ή can find a steal.
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage
(thanks to Pack93z for the pic)
2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. πŸ‡ΉπŸ‡Ή πŸ‡²πŸ‡² πŸ‡¦πŸ‡·
macbob
12 years ago

Okay, wow moving posts is a biotch. This is my thinking of how to build a successful NFL team.

Owner - priority one should be winning and putting a winning product on the field

General Manager - cares not about fans opinions only about acquiring the best talent. must not be afraid to make a big move to put team over the top.

Head Coach - teacher first, coach second.
Offensive Coordinator - teacher first, coach second.
Defensive Coordinator - teacher first, coach second.
Special Teams - not named Shawn Slocum

Solid scouting staff for college talent, keep logs on files until the player hits 32'ish.
Only overspend in free agency/trade if it is for a player whom will put your team "over the top"
Get rid of players a year EARLY rather than a year LATE

If you remove economics from decisions such as hiring a coach because he has a big name, or a player cuz of their name, etc ... I think this is the foundation most teams TRY to emulate, but fail.

Of course this is just my own BRIEF opinion.

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

Z2C-I'd add a few more (lessons learned from the Mike Sherman era):

1) Have a separate GM & HC. GM duties can distract from HC duties during regular season. Best to split those two than combine them into one.

2) Trade down in the draft more than you trade up in the draft. You can get screwed up by continually trading up in the draft and ending with fewer draft picks as a result--you're OK as long as you hit those picks (BJ Sanders) AND you don't have injuries, because you lose the depth behind your starters when you're doing that. Only trade up after you've stocked the team with sufficient depth at most/all positions (such as trading up to get CM3).

UserPostedImage
Methodikal
12 years ago
Do the opposite of the Vikings = winner.
Something funny.
UserPostedImage
Rockmolder
12 years ago

Do the opposite of the Vikings = winner.

Originally Posted by: Methodikal 

That'd actually make you the Buccaneers or Bengals. Suck of a the greater portion of your history, have an amazing season or 4 and win/nearly win a SB and then slide back into mediocrity.

That might actually be easier than being a Vikes fan, since those purple bastards get your hope up every year only to fall flat on their face.

That said, trading AP and Jared Allen might be a somewhat ok idea from a performance if your truly believe that you're completely rebuilding. If you believe that you're not going to win in the next five years, you might as well fetch as much for those players now that you still can and get building through the draft.

That said, there's one huge point that everyone seems to be overlooking here...

Every NFL team is run with one thing in mind. Profit. Players like Peterson and Allen are why, next to the real fans who stick to their team no matter what, the Vikings are still selling tickets, jerseys etc. It'd be very unwise to just trade away your moneycows at this point.

Maybe they would be better off in 3 years if they traded both of them... Or maybe they'll be stuck with a team full of no-name players. It's a pretty big gamble.
Zero2Cool
12 years ago
Trading those two only works if you are able to draft talent. If you're not able to, you should be fired anyway.
UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
12 years ago
Brandon Lloyd was traded to the St. Louis Rams. Kind off seeing a team get rid of one of its best players. Although, it's a good move for both Brandon Lloyd and the Broncos. He was not going to resign with Denver, especially with Tim Tebow at QB. Brandon is a good deep threat WR and Tebow does not have the arm strength to get it deep.
UserPostedImage
DoddPower
12 years ago

That'd actually make you the Buccaneers or Bengals. Suck of a the greater portion of your history, have an amazing season or 4 and win/nearly win a SB and then slide back into mediocrity.

That might actually be easier than being a Vikes fan, since those purple bastards get your hope up every year only to fall flat on their face.

That said, trading AP and Jared Allen might be a somewhat ok idea from a performance if your truly believe that you're completely rebuilding. If you believe that you're not going to win in the next five years, you might as well fetch as much for those players now that you still can and get building through the draft.

That said, there's one huge point that everyone seems to be overlooking here...

Every NFL team is run with one thing in mind. Profit. Players like Peterson and Allen are why, next to the real fans who stick to their team no matter what, the Vikings are still selling tickets, jerseys etc. It'd be very unwise to just trade away your moneycows at this point.

Maybe they would be better off in 3 years if they traded both of them... Or maybe they'll be stuck with a team full of no-name players. It's a pretty big gamble.

Originally Posted by: Rockmolder 

I understand your point, but I would have to imagine they would get some big names in the draft, especially with several 1sts. Fans catch on to big time rookies quickly. Tebow was a leading Jersey selling not too long ago, although to be fair not many college players have careers like him. But still, hopefully my point came across.

With that being said, I could see trading JA, but not AP. It just seems too unlikely, unless they can somehow acquire Luck.
Fan Shout
dfosterf (5h) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (12h) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (13h) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (13h) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? πŸ₯Ί I think that means you missed more than half of them 😒
dfosterf (17h) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (19h) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (19h) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (19h) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (19h) : Against tbd
dfosterf (19h) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (19h) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (19h) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (19h) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (19h) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead πŸ€ͺ
Zero2Cool (19h) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (20h) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (20h) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (20h) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
beast (25-Mar) : Simply fined in the week to follow
beast (25-Mar) : I agree with one NFL official, it'll probably be like some of the helmets hits, not really called by the refs on the field but simply fined
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Hip drop is not. Super confusing. Referees job is harder
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Swivel hip drop is banned
dfosterf (25-Mar) : The hip drop enforcement will be in the form of fines, etc. Not flags
dfosterf (25-Mar) : A major foul will be enforced on the offense if there are offsetting penalties in a change of possession situation
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Teams will receive a 3rd challenge if 1 was successful. Previously, it took 2
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
5h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

5h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

5h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

12h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17h / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Around The NFL / dhazer

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright Β© 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.comβ„’. All Rights Reserved.