Zero2Cool
15 years ago

Advice helps turn Rodgers game

Green Bay - It was only one half of football, but Donald Driver had seen enough.

Disgusted at the Green Bay Packers offensive performance in their 34-6 loss to the San Francisco 49ers on Aug. 16, Driver told anyone and everyone it was garbage and was visibly frustrated in the locker room after the game.

So bothered was Driver, he didnt wait until the next week of practice to do something about it. He went to quarterback Aaron Rodgers on the plane ride back to Green Bay and essentially told him it was put-up or shut-up time. For the Packers to excel this season, Rodgers training wheels had to come off now.

I told him, Its your team. You have to take it over, Driver said after Friday nights 27-24 victory over the Denver Broncos. He proved that.

Sure, Rodgers completed 18 of 22 passes for 193 yards and a touchdown (he added another rushing TD against Denver), but Driver didnt feel Rodgers throwing was the problem after San Francisco. It was how he operated the huddle and exhibited leadership.

Against the 49ers, the Packers offense was effectively rudderless without Rodgers taking charge under center. The result was 6-of-19 passing for a whopping 58 yards and four sacks against.

Me and Donald talked this week about the opportunities we have to be leaders on the football team, Rodgers said Friday night. I didnt consciously make a bigger effort, but I think the urgency we had a sense of urgency tonight, the first-team offense, we needed to have a good showing I think all 11 of us really felt the need to be vocal, be good, encourage each other and say, Hey, lets get going here. This is an important night for us tonight.

Driver was impressed by Rodgers turnaround, to say the least.

Getting into the huddle, telling guys, Hey, hush, let me call the plays, it was great to see him do that and take the team over like he did, Driver said. I think at first he didnt know how to do it, but I think now he knows what he has to do and he has to be the leader. When hes the leader, it seems like everything goes smooth.

Hes always growing and hes going to continue to grow over the course of his career. And I think thats the thing I loved about him tonight, is that he proved he could take over this team.

Line shuffle? The Packers on Saturday declined to disclose the results of the tests done on the left knee of starting right guard Josh Sitton, who was injured in the first quarter when Broncos defensive tackle Dewayne Robertson rolled up on Sitton.

The Packers appeared to take the injury seriously after the game as trainer Pepper Burress tightly wrapped Sitton, who immediately clutched his knee when the injury occurred, before boarding the team bus.

Combine Sittons status with that of center Scott Wells, who has been battling injuries in his back muscles since off-season practices, and the Packers could once again have another offensive line in practice this week.

Assuming Daryn Colledge and Jason Spitz remain at left guard and center, respectively, Allen Barbre could take over at right guard. But he has seemingly been in the doghouse for no visible reason since the first exhibition game against the Cincinnati Bengals despite entering camp as the favorite to beat out Colledge.

The more likely scenario is for Tony Moll, who replaced Sitton against the Broncos and played solid, to get the first look. Moll was an emergency starter at right guard in eight games over the previous two seasons.

You try to stay focused when they say the first team is going to play the first half, Moll said. As one of the other guys you try to stay focused for reasons like this. I felt like I was able to go in there and perform right away. I think I helped us.

Going into my third year, just with the experience Ive had with the amount of games Ive played, every year it just seems like my knowledge of the playbook is getting stronger and stronger. So I just know that if I just have patience on my pass plays and I just get mean in the run game, Ill do just fine.

Titans to play it out: Tennessee Titans coach Jeff Fisher said he will play his starters at least one series into the third quarter Thursday night in Green Bay.

I have no idea what coach (Mike) McCarthy is going to do with his guys, but were going to go up there and just play, Fisher said.

Lee fined: Rookie cornerback Patrick Lee was fined $7,500 for his hard hit on 49ers running back DeShaun Foster in the second quarter of the San Francisco game.

According to a league spokesman, Lee was fined for impermissible use of the helmet striking an opponent in the chest area with his helmet.

UserPostedImage
Greg C.
15 years ago
This is a very encouraging article. It's good to see that kind of off-field communication between the QB and the #1 receiver. It should really pay off in the regular season.
blank
Cheesey
15 years ago
Thats cool that Driver is taking a stronger leadership role. We have alot of young kids on this team. They NEED that kind of direction. Him telling Rodgers to make it HIS team was sweet to see!
UserPostedImage
strobl2
15 years ago
I know there are different opinions about who the defensive leader is, but I was just wondering is Driver the leader on offense.
blank
Bigbyfan
15 years ago

According to a league spokesman, Lee was fined for impermissible use of the helmet striking an opponent in the chest area with his helmet.

Isn't Jared Allen claiming he is going to put his helmet into Aaron Rodger's spine?
blank
PackOne
15 years ago
I think Driver fixed the problem. As far as Allen goes I'm not sure.
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
Martha Careful (3h) : Congratulations
Zero2Cool (9h) : Boom. Student Loan. $0.00. Only took about 20 years.
Zero2Cool (14-Apr) : Packers DT Kenny Clark: New defensive coordinator Jeff Hafley will 'allow us to be way more disruptive'
Zero2Cool (12-Apr) : Saints have agreed to terms on a contract with former Packers wide receiver Equanimeous St. Brown.
beast (12-Apr) : No, but of it's for legislation, then half of the country will find it evil, not good, whatever it says....
Mucky Tundra (12-Apr) : Draft is still 2 weeks away. UGH
dhazer (11-Apr) : Does anyone know of a good AI generator to create letters of Support for legislation?
Zero2Cool (11-Apr) : Gordon "Red" Batty retires as equipment manager
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Sounds like that's pretty certain now.
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Packers "at" Eagles in Brazil. Week One
dfosterf (10-Apr) : Va' Fazer As Malas Va' !
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Mark Murphy tipping us off?
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : “We’re either the first- or second-most popular team in Brazil.”
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Christian Watson got married. Wife better be careful with those hamstrings!! 😂😂
dfosterf (9-Apr) : Those poor bastards
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Falcons have signed former Packers CB Kevin King, who has been out of football since 2021.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Collectively, we need to spend more time in what we have, when analyzing ostendible needs and historical proclivities
dfosterf (8-Apr) : I say he is better than so many of these draft picks
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Question of the week for me: Has anyone besides me done any deep dive into the potential of Alex McGough, our 3rd string qb?
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Or in Tunsil's case, something gets released day of draft or day before lol
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Seems every year someone does something pre-draft.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Falling down drunk. The draft board
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Allright! Potential character guy/f#×k up pickup in D'Vondre Sweat!
Zero2Cool (7-Apr) : Go Badgers!!!
Martha Careful (6-Apr) : Go Boilermakers!!!
Martha Careful (5-Apr) : Diggs has not stepped up in the playoffs and has a high cost
beast (5-Apr) : Probably not going to let Diggs walk away unless he's horrible... but according to reports he also might not be as good as he used to be.
beast (5-Apr) : The 25th pick in the draft has been an offensive player since 2017, 2 TE, 2 WR, 1 RB, 1 OC
Mucky Tundra (5-Apr) : Odd, why give up a 2025 2nd Rounder for him if you're just gonna let him walk?
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : Texans to let Diggs be free agent in '25
buckeyepackfan (4-Apr) : 49r's aign RB Patrick Taylor.
Martha Careful (4-Apr) : Reversion to the mean would indicate we will keep it
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : It's also been utilized in a trade in 14 of the past 20 years
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : The 25th pick in the draft hasn't been made by it's original holder since 2016.
Mucky Tundra (4-Apr) : Gotta imagine that Green Bay vs Houston will be a primetime game this upcoming season
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : No. Kill QB. No worries. 😁
Mucky Tundra (3-Apr) : Diggs, Collins, Dell and Schultz is gonna be tough to cover
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : Stefon Diggs' trade will not be processed as a post-June 1 designation, so that is just over $31 million in dead cap this year.
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : Bills trading WR Stefon Diggs to the Texans in exchange for a 2025 2nd-round pick. (via @rapsheet)
beast (3-Apr) : Using Patterson as RB and RB/WR tweener... so I think they also signed Patterson as a 3rd down RB, not just a kick returner as articles are
beast (3-Apr) : I think PFT missed the real Steelers/Patterson connection, Steelers new OC Arthur Smith has been Patterson's head coach the last 3 years
wpr (2-Apr) : It has Martha. I was stunned when I was in HS to learn Iowa was still playing half court BB in the 70's.
Martha Careful (2-Apr) : Caitlin Clark, Angel Reese...women's sports has come a long way. GREAT TO SEE!!
Martha Careful (31-Mar) : Happy Easter everyone. I hope you all have a great day.
dfosterf (28-Mar) : Maybe
Mucky Tundra (28-Mar) : Yes
Zero2Cool (28-Mar) : No.
Mucky Tundra (28-Mar) : End of a Degu-era
dhazer (28-Mar) : Steelers sign Patterson because of new kickoff rule interesting
Zero2Cool (28-Mar) : Former #Packers TE Josiah Deguara is signing a 1-year deal with the Jaguars, per source.
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
3h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

16h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

23h / Random Babble / Martha Careful

15-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

15-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

12-Apr / Random Babble / Nonstopdrivel

12-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

11-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

10-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

8-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

5-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

5-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

4-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

4-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / buckeyepackfan

4-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.