Rockmolder
15 years ago
I know this is a bit of a weird question, especially on a site just about the Packers, but I'm gonna give it a shot anyway.

Last year I tried to do a presentation about Football. No one in my class has the slightest idea how the game is played and to be quite honest... I failed miserably.

But, I'm not quitting that easy, and I'm just gonna give it another attempt this year. I have a question for you guys though, as people with more football expertise, even parents in some case.

How on earth do you explain this game in a couple of minutes to people that don't have a clue about how the game is played?

I don't think I can learn them things like specific routes etc. But just getting down the basics, just so they know how this game is played. Some of the rules. No PI or something, but just with 4 downs etc.

Obviously, I'm not asking you to make my homework, but some pointers would be nice. Just those things you might completely miss when you know the sport yourself, or some small things that might make it more clear.
Pack93z
15 years ago
First things first... don't use the Vikings as an example.. those poor kids will never learn the game of football. :lol:

Seriously though.. let me give that some thought on a condensed format approach..
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
Rockmolder
15 years ago
My last picture last year on my Powerpoint where the Packers jumping a Bears kick-returner... even that didn't make a lasting impression.

They're a hard crowd 😛
dfosterf
15 years ago
This one I like. I turned a mess of non-English speaking Koreans into life-long Gleen Bay Pakka fans. By the time I got done with 'em, they all knew who Bubba Flanks was, they had Blett Fave jerseys, and hated everyone but the Pakkas. (I had a month, though :icon_smile: ).

Take the class outside and play the game in the alloted time. You play quarterback, and explain things as you go. My experience had a "special olympic"quality/feel to it at first, but these guys loved it... I was teaching Engrish as well as brainwashing them about the Pack... Total win-win, if Dale Carnegie ever came from hell like I did. :thumbleft:
Rockmolder
15 years ago
Ye, that would be a great idea, and I'd love to do that. I've never actually played the game myself. I know all the rules and stuff, but there's not a single team close to here.

I only have a couple of minutes in a presentation room, and the closest thing to playing the game is a power point on the big projector 😛
IronMan
15 years ago

This one I like. I turned a mess of non-English speaking Koreans into life-long Gleen Bay Pakka fans. By the time I got done with 'em, they all knew who Bubba Flanks was, they had Blett Fave jerseys, and hated everyone but the Pakkas. (I had a month, though :icon_smile: ).

Take the class outside and play the game in the alloted time. You play quarterback, and explain things as you go. My experience had a "special olympic"quality/feel to it at first, but these guys loved it... I was teaching Engrish as well as brainwashing them about the Pack... Total win-win, if Dale Carnegie ever came from hell like I did. :thumbleft:

"dfosterf" wrote:

UserPostedImage
dfosterf
15 years ago

Ye, that would be a great idea, and I'd love to do that. I've never actually played the game myself. I know all the rules and stuff, but there's not a single team close to here.

I only have a couple of minutes in a presentation room, and the closest thing to playing the game is a power point on the big projector :p

"Rockmolder" wrote:

Ya, I guess it's too bad we never invaded your country...I don't know how we managed to miss that one... If we had... crap, GB would probably have more punters to choose from. :wickedfart:
Cheesey
15 years ago
The goal of the team with the football is to go down the field and score 6 points by crossing the other team's goal line. If you do it, you get to try for an "extra" point by kicking the football through a set of upright poles with a cross bar.
The goal of the other team is to stop the team with the football from scoring.
The team with the ball gets 4 chances to go 10 yards. If they make the 10 yards they get a fresh set of 4 downs to make another 10 yards.
If they don't make the 10 yards in their first 3 downs, they can go for it on 4th down. But if they don't make it, they give the other team the football where it sits.
So they can punt (kick) the football on 4th down, getting it out of their territory.
The team with the ball can also try for a 3 point field goal if the think their kicker can kick the football through the uprights from the spot they are on the field. However, if the kicker misses the kick, the other team gets the football at the spot the kicker kicked the ball from.

That pretty much sums up the basics i think.
Hope that helps!
UserPostedImage
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
15 years ago
Wikipedia can give you a description that last a few minutes.

Link 

Be careful not to plagiarize. Use your own words. Try to compare it to something they are already familiar w/. Make them want to care about what you are speaking about. Say things like, "Those crazy Americans can't even get the name of their game right. They call football soccer and then give the name of football to a game in which they hardly ever use their foot.
This is just part of it:

American football, known in the United States and Canada simply as football,[1] is a competitive team sport known for mixing strategy with physical play. The objective of the game is to score points by advancing the ball[2] into the opposing team's end zone. The ball can be advanced by carrying it (a running play) or by throwing it to a teammate (a passing play). Points can be scored in a variety of ways, including carrying the ball over the opponent's goal line; catching a pass from beyond that goal line; kicking the ball through the goal posts at the opponent's end zone; and tackling an opposing ballcarrier within his end zone. The winner is the team with the most points when the time expires.

The sport is also played outside the United States. National leagues exist in Germany, Italy, Switzerland, Finland, Sweden, Japan, Mexico, Israel, Spain, Austria and several Pacific Island nations. The National Football League, the largest professional American football league in the world, ran a developmental league in Europe from 19911992 and then from 19952006.

American football is closely related to Canadian football. Both sports originated from rugby football.

The history of American football can be traced to early versions of rugby football and soccer. Both games have their origins in varieties of football played in the United Kingdom in the mid-19th century, in which a ball is kicked at a goal and/or run over a line. Also like soccer, American football has twenty two players on the field of play. Furthermore, some player position references from soccer are used, such as the term "halfback" and "fullback".

American football is played on a field 360 by 160 feet (109.7 m 48.8 m). The longer boundary lines are sidelines, while the shorter boundary lines are end lines. Near each end of the field is a goal line; they are 100 yards (91.4 m) apart. A scoring area called an end zone extends 10 yards (9.1 m) beyond each goal line to each end line. While the playing field is effectively flat, it is common for a field to be built with a slight crownwith the middle of the field higher than the sidesto allow water to drain from the field.

Yard lines cross the field every 5 yards (4.6 m), and are numbered every 10 yards from each goal line to the 50-yard line, or midfield (similar to a typical rugby league field). Two rows of short lines, known as inbounds lines or hash marks, run parallel to the sidelines near the middle of the field. All plays start with the ball on or between the hash marks.

At the back of each end zone are two goalposts (also called uprights) connected by a crossbar 10 feet (3.05 m) from the ground. The posts are, for high skill levels 222 inches (5.64 m) apart. For lower skill levels, these are widened to 280 inches (7.11 m).

Each team has 11 players on the field at a time. However, teams may substitute for any or all of their players, if time allows, during the break between plays. As a result, players have very specialized roles, and, sometimes (although rarely) almost all of the (at least) 46 active players on an NFL team will play in any given game. Thus, teams are divided into three separate units: the offense, the defense and the special teams.

A standard football game consists of four 15-minute quarters (12-minute quarters in high-school football and often shorter at lower levels), with a half-time intermission after the second quarter. The clock stops after certain plays; therefore, a game can last considerably longer (often more than three hours in real time), and if a game is broadcast on television, TV timeouts are taken at certain intervals of the game to broadcast commercials outside of game action. If an NFL game is tied after four quarters, the teams play an additional period lasting up to 15 minutes. In an NFL overtime game, the first team that scores wins, even if the other team does not get a possession; this is referred to as sudden death. In a regular-season NFL game, if neither team scores in overtime, the game is a tie. In an NFL playoff game, additional overtime periods are played, as needed, to determine a winner.

UserPostedImage
Rockmolder
15 years ago
Thanks for all the pointers.

That summing up off the basics is something I can really use. Just build on that, maybe give some extra info. Also with pictures etc. in the presentation.

The wikipedia is somewhat tried last year. I changed some words... but they still didn't get it. It is a big help though, which should get some info.

I also told something about positions and what they do aswell last year, I gues I won't be doing that again though.

Also, this class should understand English a bit better, making it easier to explain. One of the hardest parts is describing things or putting them in easier understandable words.

But again, thanks for all the help guys ^^.