gbguy20
12 years ago

I don't want to rehash the whole thing but as far as coming back, the un-retirement was as fake as the retirement. He didn't change his mind, it was all part of a plan. Probably Chilly's plan. I don't think Favre is smart enough to come up with it.

After the roster was set, Favre timed it to drop 12 mil on the cap and put them over the roster limit. Normally that would force a free release. Ted went to the NFL and got an exemption and had cap room for Favre.Ted said OK, come on in. That is when Favre backed off and said, it won't work and he would accept a trade to anybody. Because he knew they would never trade him to MN or give him a free release if he was under contract. Which ran through 2011.

He never wanted to retire, he never wanted to come back to Green Bay. He wanted out. He was never going to play for Green Bay. No matter what. Between the '06 and '07 seasons, he wanted out and demanded a trade too Minnesota. The retirement and un-retirement were part of that plan. Even the entire '07 season was part of that plan.

Originally Posted by: Dexter_Sinister 

this guy
DakotaT
  • DakotaT
  • Select Member Topic Starter
12 years ago

I don't want to rehash the whole thing but as far as coming back, the un-retirement was as fake as the retirement. He didn't change his mind, it was all part of a plan. Probably Chilly's plan. I don't think Favre is smart enough to come up with it.

After the roster was set, Favre timed it to drop 12 mil on the cap and put them over the roster limit. Normally that would force a free release. Ted went to the NFL and got an exemption and had cap room for Favre.Ted said OK, come on in. That is when Favre backed off and said, it won't work and he would accept a trade to anybody. Because he knew they would never trade him to MN or give him a free release if he was under contract. Which ran through 2011.

He never wanted to retire, he never wanted to come back to Green Bay. He wanted out. He was never going to play for Green Bay. No matter what. Between the '06 and '07 seasons, he wanted out and demanded a trade too Minnesota. The retirement and un-retirement were part of that plan. Even the entire '07 season was part of that plan.

It still pisses me off that Goodell didn't rack up the Queens on tampering charges.
UserPostedImage
Nonstopdrivel
12 years ago

He never wanted to retire, he never wanted to come back to Green Bay. He wanted out.

While I don't necessarily disagree with you in any one particular, do you have any theories as to why that might have been? Favre was worshiped as no man in the NFL has ever been worshiped. Why did he want out? Was he as sick of the circus as the rest of the NFL (and even some Packers fans) were?

UserPostedImage
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
12 years ago

It still pisses me off that Goodell didn't rack up the Queens on tampering charges.

Originally Posted by: DakotaT 

yeah he was a bit gutless on that one.
UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
12 years ago

While I don't necessarily disagree with you in any one particular, do you have any theories as to why that might have been? Favre was worshiped as no man in the NFL has ever been worshiped. Why did he want out? Was he as sick of the circus as the rest of the NFL (and even some Packers fans) were?

Originally Posted by: Nonstopdrivel 

I don't believe that Brett Favre want out of Green Bay after 2006. Perhaps after the Raiders didn't give the Packers a chance to match or better the Patriots offer for Randy Moss he was pissed off and said it to family/friends?

Brett retired because the Packers pressured him for an answer, because they were confident he would return. All parties involved have stated this as well so I believe it to be true. Even Brett Favre said that was why they pushed the issue.

How long ago did all this happen again? lol I think this stuff has been said already...
UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
12 years ago

2. Winner: Packers. 

G.M. Ted Thompson rarely makes a big splash in free agency. The biggest exception came in 2006, when at the very public urging of quarterback Brett Favre the team signed cornerback Charles Woodson.

Other than that, the Packers under Thompson take a very conservative approach, building through the draft and using free agency on a limited basis, with low-cost talent addressing specific needs.

It’s not sexy this time of year. But this isn’t the time of year when championships are won. Unlike downtrodden organizations (such as the Packers themselves in 1993, when Reggie White chose Green Bay from a long list of suitors), the Packers don’t need to do anything to fire up the fan base or breathe life into the franchise.

It’s the right approach for this specific team. The Packers have won, once again, by doing nothing.

UserPostedImage
Nonstopdrivel
12 years ago
You and your necros recently. [neener]
UserPostedImage
nerdmann
12 years ago

Ever since Favre's dad died he never had anyone to keep him grounded. With the passing of Big Irv, Favre only had his wife and his agent, and all they did was whisper in his ear how great he was.

Favre's ego was already out of control from the time Ray Rhodes handed control of the team over to him and Mike Sherman did nothing to reel that in. That was Ted Thompson's main task at the time. Favre could no longer dictate to the GM what players to acquire and he could no longer dictate to offensive or team philosophy.

He still could and DID change plays in the huddle. Until Ted started getting rid of the "Favre loyalists," like William Henderson among others. Fact is Favre was and is a spiteful little bitch and he viewed himself as greater and more important than the franchise.

Personally, I further hypothesize that Ted and the Packers' security knew that Favre was being blackmailed due to off the field behavior into purposely throwing those ridiculous interceptions in the playoffs. The problem was that it would be difficult to get rid of Favre, which is of course what we saw transpire. Anyway, this further level of conspiracy theory, while quite apparent to myself needn't be taken into account in order to see the overall point about Favre. The main point about Favre's ego stands, regardless of the added conspiracy theory.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Nonstopdrivel
12 years ago
I am always surprised at the bile and venom some of you spew against Favre. I don't like the guy -- he's not the kind of person I get along with, so he would rub me the wrong way on the screen or in real life. But while I find him irritating, some of you truly loathe the man. The vehemence with which you express it impresses me.
UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
12 years ago

I am always surprised at the bile and venom some of you spew against Favre. I don't like the guy -- he's not the kind of person I get along with, so he would rub me the wrong way on the screen or in real life. But while I find him irritating, some of you truly loathe the man. The vehemence with which you express it impresses me.

As for the topic, I suppose Brett Favre is a free agent ... lol ... I think some flipped on Favre much like one does to a scorned partner. Favre was my 2nd favorite behind Barry Sanders. After the Greta Van whatever interview, it made it hard for me to pull for him as a "person", but as a player he was always exciting ... which wasn't always a good thing if he was on the team you rooted for.
UserPostedImage