Zero2Cool
12 years ago
During the uncapped season of 2010, the Redskins and Cowboys went with some crazy contracts for players, apparently. And now the NFL is penalizing the Redskins and Cowboys $36 million and $10 million in cap space, respectively, for seeking a competitive advantage by front-loading contracts during the 2010 season, when there was no salary cap.

If there was a problem with each team front loading the contracts, why did the NFL approve them? I'm not one to come to the defense of many other teams, especially the Cowboys, but this seems really shady by the NFL. I relate it to telling my daughter it is okay to color on the walls, then a year later see the tic-tac-toe board she drew and grounding her for a week.

I'm hoping some of you can shed some light on what is going on here and why they deserved to be punished.
UserPostedImage
Pack93z
12 years ago

If there was a problem with each team front loading the contracts, why did the NFL approve them?

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

To me.. it is simple why the NFL didn't reject them..

1) They were legal within the prior CBA structure in terms of the uncapped year.

2) If the NFL rejected them, they would be giving the players grounds to enhance leverage against the NFL in a collusion case with a lockout looming. Would have possibly hurt them in the courtroom.

3) The NFL has specifically warned clubs not to push money into the uncapped year in order to help future caps. But that is all they could do without hitting issue 2.

4) Hence why the are being docked only cap money, but the NFL is smart enough not try and cause anymore waves by pushing those dollars out into the other clubs cap pool.

In a nutshell.. these two collectively broke rank from the other owners, and now it is basically evening up the score.

By pointing to the "league approved them" defense.. these two are basically backing the NFL into more of a corner then they already are.

How.

It is just adding to the NFLPA case the next time the NFL tries to opt out or leverage the PA.. in the court of law the NFL is now basically going to have to confess that it operated under a self appointed cap, even though the out clause in the prior CBA stated there would be no such clause. NFL is taking a bit of a gamble into the future by pushing this issue.

It is giving the NFLPA future leverage.. and you think they aren't going to use it? lol.

Danny and Jerry played the other 30.. and honestly, playing this out is only going to hurt the owners overall.

The NFLPA isn't going to say anything for two reasons... 1) no cap dollars were lost. 2) it is only helping the union in the future.

Jerry probably cares less. he will be long gone from NFL operation side in 10 years and Danny.. he will be broke. 😉
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
Zero2Cool
12 years ago
but ... I am curious as to why the NFL is punishing teams for spending freely during the uncapped year. Whether or not Jerry Jones and Daniel Snyder fighting this does not concern me nor do the ramifications. My point is, they shouldn't have to fight this because it shouldn't be happening. The NFL is talking about the integrity of the game, well, when you allow (or don't stop) something from happening, only to punish them later ... what does that say about how the NFL is operating?

UserPostedImage
Pack93z
12 years ago

but ... I am curious as to why the NFL is punishing teams for spending freely during the uncapped year. Whether or not Jerry Jones and Daniel Snyder fighting this does not concern me nor do the ramifications. My point is, they shouldn't have to fight this because it shouldn't be happening. The NFL is talking about the integrity of the game, well, when you allow (or don't stop) something from happening, only to punish them later ... what does that say about how the NFL is operating?

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

The NFL owners made a pact that they wouldn't exceed a would be cap in the uncapped year. Basically, as I understand it, had two basic reasons.

1) To avoid teams spending freely and giving the players an item to point to in the legal proceedings to show that teams can spend more and would without a cap. Remember, the players had stated, the once the cap was nixed it would not be re-established. Hence why overall spending was down last year... the owners were operating on the notion that some clubs were losing money.. so a spending free for all would not be wise.

2) It would make it simpler to fit any contracts signed back under a cap environment once the CBA was agreed upon and the cap was reinstated.

Also.. I believe they wanted to maintain the level of competitive balance between clubs that could front a ton of money and clubs that had to operate under a budget. Example.. the Packers stock cash yearly to afford signing bonuses.. were as a Jerry Jones has much deeper cash reserves and could shell out cash more readily.

In a nutshell, the NFL couldn't void the contracts because they didn't have "legal" grounds to do so, however there was an agreement between the 32 clubs that they broke. Hence the cap fine... I think some if you read into Mara's comment yesterday wanted more than that.. picks to be included.

Jones and Danny boy backed the NFL as a whole into the corner last season.. repayment time.

Also note.. the gag order was placed on the topic today.. to avoid giving the players even more future ammo. Jones especially is becoming more and more like a rogue owner.. a maverick if you will like the old days Al Davis.

"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
Zero2Cool
12 years ago
This forum software does allow the use of numerical itemizing .... just sayin!!!
[list=1]
  • Item1
  • Item2
  • Item3[/list]

• :-)

Thanks for the words to explain. I just think it's shady. I mean, really, who couldn't pick out the two owners who would break any kind of pact or "gentelmans" agreement?

I think I understand why the punishment, I just disagree with it. I'm thinking the punishment is just opening up a can of worms.
    UserPostedImage
    Cheesey
    12 years ago
    Wow.....i see both sides.
    To me, it's hard to pick a side to be on in this argument, as Zero and Pack93Z both make GREAT points.
    UserPostedImage
    Zero2Cool
    12 years ago

Wow.....i see both sides.
    To me, it's hard to pick a side to be on in this argument, as Zero and Pack93Z both make GREAT points.

Originally Posted by: Cheesey 

Yeah, well, I feel forking dirty for even appearing to be sticking up for the Cowboys in any shape or form. I just hate rules, really, I hate them. One of the reasons we have very few rules here on this little website. The 2010 season was uncapped, the smallest market team won the Super Bowl, two teams abused the no salary cap and it didn't help them one bit. Why dredge it up? To what benefit?

I just see more cons than pros with this. The notion of punishing someone for something they did a year later when it was assumed it was okay ... bothers me. Yes, I know, they had a "pact", but it was a pact, not a rule, not in writing, nothing of the sort. I know this has to be true because each owner was operating under a single identity.

I'd take Shawn's side, he's far smarter than I am. I'm just a fool who hates rules and what appears to be unjust punishment. I mean, if you tell me I can drive a Lamborghini off the lot with no consequences, you bet your ass, I am going to! And if you tell me a year later you're taking it back or pressing charges for theft, that's bull shit.
    UserPostedImage
    Pack93z
    12 years ago
    IMO.. it is a shady deal overall. But honestly, have you believed much either side (players or owners) has stated during the last about 4 years in terms of overall revenue and dividing it?

Long and the short of it.. this whole deal, the opting out of the CBA and the related theatrics have been suspect all along.

Everyone knows the NFL owners protected themselves with the TV contract and were setting things in play to appear that they were in jeopardy of losing money.. and they were set on strong arming the players with the lockout.. the courts hit them early and altered the course.. but in the end, the courts couldn't prove that the owners had acted entirely in bad faith.. or at least not up until the new CBA was agreed to.

IMO.. this is all about setting things in place for the next CBA negotiations and penalizing owners for stepping out of line.
    Zero2Cool
    12 years ago
    I think we have 9 or so years before worrying about the next CBA. (cross fingers)

And to make me feel a little more dirty ... I think Florio and I have a similar opinion on this ...

In this case, two of the richest of the rich guys – Jerry Jones and Daniel Snyder — also happen to be objectively correct, and we’ve yet to see any evidence to the contrary. No rules were broken, no policies were violated, and the contracts were approved when submitted.

Mike Florio wrote:

It was an uncapped year. They spent crazy and it didn't help them. I am just not seeing any positive from this penalty.
    UserPostedImage
    Pack93z
    12 years ago
    I think you are missing my point.. by the letter of the law, yes the NFL doesn't have just cause to take the money away from these clubs.

But we know.. it has been proven over and over, the NFL itself is nothing more than a collect of billionaires running a business as a whole. Self regulation is part of that business arrangement, the NFL as a whole set a operating guideline in which to follow.. two stepped outside of that line and broke rank.

The business is now penalizing them.. think of it as not following a directive at work, doing said job but not to their set standards. You are going to feel repercussions upon it.

If Jones and Snyder push this legally.. yes I think they will win. But at what cost and damage to the NFL overall?

They played the system in place.. against recommendations of the league as a whole. Now they are getting spanked for it.

You don't think the NFPA will use this in the future.. hell yes they will. Hence the gag order placed upon it post haste.

Don't think everyone is thinking ahead to the next round of negotiations.. see how fast Kraft back tracked off the notion that the NFL cap isn't going to expand when the new TV deal kicks in.. he softened his words is a hurry.

The business world I have grown up in, especially dealing on the union side of things, all actions and reactions are used all the time. Pain in the ass to walk that fine agreed upon line, most of the time it punished both sides more than it helped, thus of the life in dealing with a black and white union code.
    Fan Shout
    Zero2Cool (7h) : Belichick * whatever
    Zero2Cool (7h) : "There's a lot of depth at Offensive Tackle and Wide Receiver." Bill Bellichick
    Zero2Cool (12h) : Thanks! I can't believe it's over haha
    Martha Careful (16-Apr) : Congratulations
    Zero2Cool (16-Apr) : Boom. Student Loan. $0.00. Only took about 20 years.
    Zero2Cool (14-Apr) : Packers DT Kenny Clark: New defensive coordinator Jeff Hafley will 'allow us to be way more disruptive'
    Zero2Cool (12-Apr) : Saints have agreed to terms on a contract with former Packers wide receiver Equanimeous St. Brown.
    beast (12-Apr) : No, but of it's for legislation, then half of the country will find it evil, not good, whatever it says....
    Mucky Tundra (12-Apr) : Draft is still 2 weeks away. UGH
    dhazer (11-Apr) : Does anyone know of a good AI generator to create letters of Support for legislation?
    Zero2Cool (11-Apr) : Gordon "Red" Batty retires as equipment manager
    Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Sounds like that's pretty certain now.
    Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Packers "at" Eagles in Brazil. Week One
    dfosterf (10-Apr) : Va' Fazer As Malas Va' !
    Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Mark Murphy tipping us off?
    Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : “We’re either the first- or second-most popular team in Brazil.”
    Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Christian Watson got married. Wife better be careful with those hamstrings!! 😂😂
    dfosterf (9-Apr) : Those poor bastards
    Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Falcons have signed former Packers CB Kevin King, who has been out of football since 2021.
    dfosterf (8-Apr) : Collectively, we need to spend more time in what we have, when analyzing ostendible needs and historical proclivities
    dfosterf (8-Apr) : I say he is better than so many of these draft picks
    dfosterf (8-Apr) : Question of the week for me: Has anyone besides me done any deep dive into the potential of Alex McGough, our 3rd string qb?
    Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Or in Tunsil's case, something gets released day of draft or day before lol
    Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Seems every year someone does something pre-draft.
    dfosterf (8-Apr) : Falling down drunk. The draft board
    dfosterf (8-Apr) : Allright! Potential character guy/f#×k up pickup in D'Vondre Sweat!
    Zero2Cool (7-Apr) : Go Badgers!!!
    Martha Careful (6-Apr) : Go Boilermakers!!!
    Martha Careful (5-Apr) : Diggs has not stepped up in the playoffs and has a high cost
    beast (5-Apr) : Probably not going to let Diggs walk away unless he's horrible... but according to reports he also might not be as good as he used to be.
    beast (5-Apr) : The 25th pick in the draft has been an offensive player since 2017, 2 TE, 2 WR, 1 RB, 1 OC
    Mucky Tundra (5-Apr) : Odd, why give up a 2025 2nd Rounder for him if you're just gonna let him walk?
    Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : Texans to let Diggs be free agent in '25
    buckeyepackfan (4-Apr) : 49r's aign RB Patrick Taylor.
    Martha Careful (4-Apr) : Reversion to the mean would indicate we will keep it
    Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : It's also been utilized in a trade in 14 of the past 20 years
    Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : The 25th pick in the draft hasn't been made by it's original holder since 2016.
    Mucky Tundra (4-Apr) : Gotta imagine that Green Bay vs Houston will be a primetime game this upcoming season
    Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : No. Kill QB. No worries. 😁
    Mucky Tundra (3-Apr) : Diggs, Collins, Dell and Schultz is gonna be tough to cover
    Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : Stefon Diggs' trade will not be processed as a post-June 1 designation, so that is just over $31 million in dead cap this year.
    Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : Bills trading WR Stefon Diggs to the Texans in exchange for a 2025 2nd-round pick. (via @rapsheet)
    beast (3-Apr) : Using Patterson as RB and RB/WR tweener... so I think they also signed Patterson as a 3rd down RB, not just a kick returner as articles are
    beast (3-Apr) : I think PFT missed the real Steelers/Patterson connection, Steelers new OC Arthur Smith has been Patterson's head coach the last 3 years
    wpr (2-Apr) : It has Martha. I was stunned when I was in HS to learn Iowa was still playing half court BB in the 70's.
    Martha Careful (2-Apr) : Caitlin Clark, Angel Reese...women's sports has come a long way. GREAT TO SEE!!
    Martha Careful (31-Mar) : Happy Easter everyone. I hope you all have a great day.
    dfosterf (28-Mar) : Maybe
    Mucky Tundra (28-Mar) : Yes
    Zero2Cool (28-Mar) : No.
    Please sign in to use Fan Shout
    2023 Packers Schedule
    Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
    Bears
    Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
    Falcons
    Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
    SAINTS
    Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
    LIONS
    Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
    Raiders
    Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
    Broncos
    Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
    VIKINGS
    Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
    RAMS
    Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
    Steelers
    Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
    CHARGERS
    Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
    Lions
    Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
    CHIEFS
    Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
    Giants
    Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
    BUCCANEERS
    Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
    Panthers
    Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
    Vikings
    Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
    BEARS
    Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
    Cowboys
    Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
    49ers
    Recent Topics
    2h / Random Babble / Martha Careful

3h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

5h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

5h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

7h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

9h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

11h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

11h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

16-Apr / Random Babble / Martha Careful

15-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

12-Apr / Random Babble / Nonstopdrivel

12-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

11-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

8-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

5-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

Headlines
    Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.