yooperfan
11 years ago

I say, do what gives you the best chance to score more points than the other team. When you have a QB that easily could have broke a 130 season passer rating if his receivers had a league-average drop rate, why would you run the ball? When your defense is a bend rather than break defense (that often broke), why rely on eating up the clock instead of just taking the points? How many teams did we play last year had a passing or rushing offense that was more effective at scoring than our passing offense?

Originally Posted by: Porforis 

The Packers of 2011 scored to fast and so often that they had to send their pathetic defense back out onto the field way to quick.
Run the damn ball and eat up the clock and give that pathetic defense a breather.
Running the damn ball also gives our great QB who has been hit too many times in his young career a few less tooth rattleing hits a game.
RUN THE DAMN BALL!

Porforis
11 years ago

The Packers of 2011 scored to fast and so often that they had to send their pathetic defense back out onto the field way to quick.
Run the damn ball and eat up the clock and give that pathetic defense a breather.
Running the damn ball also gives our great QB who has been hit too many times in his young career a few less tooth rattleing hits a game.
RUN THE DAMN BALL!

Originally Posted by: yooperfan 

http://www.packershome.com/tabid/63/g/posts/t/14549/The-much-maligned-Packer-passing-D.aspx 
macbob
11 years ago

"Throughout the entire Mike Sherman era, I figured he fell into the #1 category. I was not happy with that guy, and felt we could have won more SBs with a more balanced, ball control commitment to the run.

After Favre's tenure here, I realized it might not have been Sherman at all, but rather Favre checking out of designated running plays to throw the ball instead
."

PTW,

You really should go back and check the stats.

Mike Sherman built one of the better offensive lines in Packer History, with the addition of Ahman Green, The Packers were near the top of the league in rushing.

Originally Posted by: buckeyepackfan 

Agree with buckeye on that. He should especially look at 2003. 507 rushes to 473 pass attempts, 2558 rushing yards to 3377 passing yards.

Agree with Zombie also, this has been beat to death over and over. McCarthy's (& Rodgers') play-calling mixed pass & run very nicely, and did a superb job of keeping defenses off balance.

UserPostedImage
macbob
11 years ago

RUN THE DAMN BALL!

Originally Posted by: yooperfan 

2011 the Packers pass/run ratio was 58%/42%. We weren't particularly a pass-happy team (though it may have seemed to be because our passing game was more efficient than our running game).

We HAVE changed the flavor of the run game to greater emphasis on draw plays from the shotgun vs U71 smashmouth. I think a part of that was due to switching to the ZBS, which caused problems on many fronts (smaller OL men, so it was more difficult to smashmouth; OL difficulty all getting on the same page/executing, etc). And I think a part of that was Mike McCarthy putting less emphasis on the run than Mike Sherman. Can you even picture Mike McCarthy going through an entire season with more rush attempts than pass attempts (Sherman 2003)?

UserPostedImage
nerdmann
11 years ago

2011 the Packers pass/run ratio was 58%/42%. We weren't particularly a pass-happy team (though it may have seemed to be because our passing game was more efficient than our running game).

We HAVE changed the flavor of the run game to greater emphasis on draw plays from the shotgun vs U71 smashmouth. I think a part of that was due to switching to the ZBS, which caused problems on many fronts (smaller OL men, so it was more difficult to smashmouth; OL difficulty all getting on the same page/executing, etc). And I think a part of that was Mike McCarthy putting less emphasis on the run than Mike Sherman. Can you even picture Mike McCarthy going through an entire season with more rush attempts than pass attempts (Sherman 2003)?

Originally Posted by: macbob 

Does that % include runs by our QB?
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
play2win
11 years ago

"Throughout the entire Mike Sherman era, I figured he fell into the #1 category. I was not happy with that guy, and felt we could have won more SBs with a more balanced, ball control commitment to the run.

After Favre's tenure here, I realized it might not have been Sherman at all, but rather Favre checking out of designated running plays to throw the ball instead
."

PTW,

You really should go back and check the stats.

Mike Sherman built one of the better offensive lines in Packer History, with the addition of Ahman Green, The Packers were near the top of the league in rushing.

I do believe Sherman ran a "true" West Coast Offense, where there was very little checking out of plays at the line.

You are correct in saying the game has changed.

With the new rules which make the qb and wr's almost untouchable, The offense has become. IMHO, way to wide open, but a good OC and QB is gonna take what is given them.

I think that I have read where Aaron Rodgers has the option on almost every play to check out at the line, you can't fault him when he has been so successful.

I also know that no matter how the game has changed, when the weather changes and teams are making their playoff runs, they better have a better than average running game to be successful.

This is what worries me about going into this year, too many changes in the O-line and a lot of ?'s at the RB position.

Hopefully it will all get straightened out during Training camp.

Originally Posted by: buckeyepackfan 

Well, I know the rush was prolific during those days, overall. Believe me, I've beaten this sucker to death over the years too. I failed to mention "when it mattered most, in some of our most important games." That's all I'm going to say about that era.

1. My bigger point was, more emphasis on running the ball would create more balance to our offense, extend drives and time of possession, and probably save Rodgers some by forcing defenses into a more honest approach, one where they would have to honor the run rather than blitz. I think this could help our defense stay more rested and ready as well.

I agree with you on the state of our OL, with a lot of moving parts at the moment, as well as "who exactly" is going to carry the rock for us?

2. Another part of my point in starting this thread, was the changing philosophies overall pervading in today's NFL with regards to this being a "passing league." Conversely, opposing defenses are gearing more towards adding those players to their rosters who are more adept at stopping the pass. Lighter, faster ends geared towards pass rush; quicker, taller LBs more adept in coverage than stopping the run; more ball skills in the secondaries v. "tackling in space" ability. Makes me wonder if it wouldn't be a good time to throw more smashmouth running plays into the mix, forcing teams outside their "new" comfort zones, which are primarily stopping the pass. Maybe catch some teams off-guard, as most design their defenses towards us to stop our juggernaut of a passing attack.

Yes, we do have that, and it works. But, I'm thinking a more balanced assault could make our passing attack even more effective. This would help Rodgers for sure, as well as our defense. Those quick drives, forcing our D back onto the field time and time again has to take its toll.

Some may say, "well, if it works, why fix it?" I'm thinking it has worked well to this point. I have no question that we can be even better as an O in the passing dept. Just thinking this may be a rather unique approach in today's NFL, given the nature of our passing game, to keep it and Rodgers alive, and to make our D a bit more effective.
Stevetarded
11 years ago
I'm all for running the ball better but I don't care if they run it more or less as long as they have an offense similarly efficient as they did last year. If you can convert that many first downs and TDs per drive who cares how you do it.
blank
Wade
  • Wade
  • Veteran Member
11 years ago
I want them to be able to say in the fourth quarter, "we're going to hammer at you with the run every play and we dare you try to stop us."

Other than that, I don't care. If GB wants to pass 80% of the time in the first three quarters, that's perfectly fine with me -- because I know Aaron Rodgers and company will totally demoralize the other team.

But having demoralized them with multiple TD passes in quarters one through three, I want them to treat the other team with complete disdain. To be able to say, "See, you can't even stop us even with our passing game tied behind our back.
And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.
Romans 12:2 (NKJV)
Dexter_Sinister
11 years ago
I just don't want to see McCarthey with his foot off the gas. We pounded the Brocos till the end and we Pounded MN in that second game until the end. I want to see some shut out or some games with under 10 points.

If we are aggressive and get burned, we have the horses to deal with it.

No more 150+ yard 4th quarters. I want teams that play us to get worse in the 4th quarter. I don't care if we do it running or passing.
I want to go out like my Grandpa did. Peacefully in his sleep.
Not screaming in terror like his passengers.
PackerTraxx
11 years ago
I actually enjoy watching a good running game more that a good passing game. Just my pregerence. It's one of the main reasons I like college ball. That said, the way the pro game is set up today you need to pass to win and run to keep defenses honest. If the rules were still like years ago that DBs could bump and run, knock a reciever down any time before the ball is in the air, and the O linemen couldn't use their hands you would see the running game more prominently. I'm glad we have the passing ammunition we do, because that's more important with the way the rule of the game are today.
Why is Jerry Kramer not in the Hall of Fame?
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (50m) : Former #Packers TE Josiah Deguara is signing a 1-year deal with the Jaguars, per source.
Zero2Cool (1h) : They do not do it for "content sake".
dfosterf (12h) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (19h) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (20h) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (20h) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (23h) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Against tbd
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (27-Mar) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (27-Mar) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (27-Mar) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
beast (25-Mar) : Simply fined in the week to follow
beast (25-Mar) : I agree with one NFL official, it'll probably be like some of the helmets hits, not really called by the refs on the field but simply fined
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Hip drop is not. Super confusing. Referees job is harder
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Swivel hip drop is banned
dfosterf (25-Mar) : The hip drop enforcement will be in the form of fines, etc. Not flags
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
12h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

12h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

12h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

19h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Around The NFL / dhazer

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.