Zero2Cool
11 years ago

It isn't hindsight, it's called foresight of old manitis. Driver had the dropsies all year last year. And since nobody ever takes me at my word, here's the fricken link. Read it for yourselves nostalgia boys. Driver is losing it and another year of putting him on the field and holding back a young guys development is beyond moronic.

http://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2012/01/17/drop-rate-2011-which-receivers-are-dropping-the-ball/ 

Originally Posted by: DakotaT 

Nostalgia has nothing to do with it. I've said from the start ... if they keep 5 and he's one of the best 5, he should be kept. You keep your best players that give you the best chance to win. If one of the other guys beats out Driver, I won't lose any sleep over it. I just want the best WR fielded. You won't see me banging my chest to cut older guys for the sake of it. I put more thought into my opinions than that. (hard to believe, I know!! lol)
UserPostedImage
dfosterf
11 years ago
This is a toughie. We not only have an outstanding wide out corps, we have a silent one. I think it's because in large part due to DD.

I want Cobb on the field, (example) but I don't want a bunch of snot-nosed mouths bitchin' about contracts and show- boatin' down the road. I worry that when DD leaves, the preservation of the relatively quiet professionialism of our wide receiver corps goes with him- A rare commodity in the modern NFL, possibly unique to us, actually. When DD goes, so does that, imo.

DakotaT
11 years ago

This is a toughie. We not only have an outstanding wide out corps, we have a silent one. I think it's because in large part due to DD.

I want Cobb on the field, (example) but I don't want a bunch of snot-nosed mouths bitchin' about contracts and show- boatin' down the road. I worry that when DD leaves, the preservation of the relatively quiet professionialism of our wide receiver corps goes with him- A rare commodity in the modern NFL, possibly unique to us, actually. When DD goes, so does that, imo.

Originally Posted by: dfosterf 

So Driver's shimmy first down dance isn't showboating? I think you worry about nothing. We're going to have a pissed off wide receiving corp this year because as a group they dropped a lot of passes last year, and absolutely horrible in the Giants playoff game. Edgar better be on their ass.
UserPostedImage
nerdmann
11 years ago

So Driver's shimmy first down dance isn't showboating? I think you worry about nothing. We're going to have a pissed off wide receiving corp this year because as a group they dropped a lot of passes last year, and absolutely horrible in the Giants playoff game. Edgar better be on their ass.

Originally Posted by: DakotaT 

I think a guy like Greg Jennings has his head on straight. Jordy too for that matter.

As for all the drops, might not be a bad idea to infuse some new blood in this corps, just to see what happens.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
dhazer
11 years ago

Originally Posted by: dfosterf 

Good points Dave, but people seem to think we are all set at WR. I have no faith at all with Jones who seems to drop the game changing passes, and people seem to forget that after this year we might not have Jennings. Our so called elite WR corp is also a product of the system. Like they say certain qbs are system qbs aka Harrell (which is now back in his pass every down offense)there are also system wrs. Think about it you pass the ball 40 times a game you can average 8 attempts to 5wrs, of course the stats will be up. Just imagine if they could actually catch the ball what kind of stats they would have and Rodgers would have.

The Divas will start showing up, we get glimpses from Finley
Just Imagine this for the next 6-9 years. What a ride it will be 🙂 (PS, Zero should charge for this)
UserPostedImage
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
11 years ago

Good points Dave, but people seem to think we are all set at WR. I have no faith at all with Jones who seems to drop the game changing passes, and people seem to forget that after this year we might not have Jennings. Our so called elite WR corp is also a product of the system. Like they say certain qbs are system qbs aka Harrell (which is now back in his pass every down offense)there are also system wrs. Think about it you pass the ball 40 times a game you can average 8 attempts to 5wrs, of course the stats will be up. Just imagine if they could actually catch the ball what kind of stats they would have and Rodgers would have.

Originally Posted by: dhazer 

Jennings will sign. Guaranteed.
No divas in the WR corps.
Jennings. No way.
Jodry. Not his personality.
Cobb. Too young. Too much to prove before we would see him act up.
Jones. # 4 WRs rarely have a reason to be a diva.
Driver. Has never been a diva in the past won't start now.
All the extra WRs are not even sure they will make the team how can they become divas?

Finley may act like one at times but we have been talking about WRs not TEs. He won't be any worse than he is right now. He is not suddenly going to take a quantum leap into unmanageable diva-dom.
UserPostedImage
DoddPower
11 years ago

Originally Posted by: dhazer 

I'm not worried about the "Diva" thing, AT ALL. Jennings will most likely be back, and he's not a Diva. Nelson is about as opposite of a Diva as a wide receiver can get. Jones knows he isn't good enough to be a Diva, and Cobb still has a lot to prove offensively. Do you ever tire of being consistently and irrationally wrong? [duh] [duh]

As for the system argument, that's silly to me as well. Who the hell cares if the entire team are "system" players? As long as the system works and we continue to be in the running for a championship every year, what difference does it make? Why should I care if Rodger's is a system QB as long as that system enables him to produce Super Bowl and league MVPs, in addition to the appearance of a top 3 QB in the league? The results are the same. Systems are designed to maximize the strengths of a team. They also allow somewhat seamless transition between players in the events of injuries and such. Having a system such as this is only a good thing as long as the players being put in the system maximize their ability in it.

Alex Smith is a true "system" type of QB. Player's like Rodger's, Jennings, Nelson, and Cobb would be very good to great in any system that had coaches worth half of their salary. That's the entire point of installing offensive and defensive schemes anyway. I hope that the Packer's continue to utilize their scheme as effectively as they have been the past couple years (except for perhaps the defense, which I expect to be much better this season anyway).
Wade
  • Wade
  • Veteran Member
11 years ago
So what is a non-system quarterback, anyway?

How many NFL quarterbacks have had above-average success in more than one system?
And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.
Romans 12:2 (NKJV)
Zero2Cool
11 years ago
lol so what you guys won the Super Bowl, it was with a bunch of SYSTEM players!!! I remember seeing on the Lombardi Trophy *Roster of System Players

Someone else mentioned this before ... I wouldn't be surprised to see Donald Driver retained on lower salary and James Jones released. That might be the "surprise" cut. I think they've seen James Jones skillset plateau and I think he has the least to offer to the team of WR than Jennings, Nelson, Cobb or Driver. Jennings and Nelson have proven they are able to be game changers. Cobb is loaded with potential. Driver still has some left in the tank (whatever that means) and has exceptional leadership skills. What does James Jones offer that can't be replaced with a promising young WR?

Edit, or another scenario, if a 1 or 2 WR goes down, someone might offer the Packers a late round pick, think six or seven for James Jones. I bet the Packers jump on it.
UserPostedImage
nerdmann
11 years ago
The problem with a "system" QB is that when he's in college, he looks good because he's in a system that hides his flaws. But when he goes to the next level, those flaws are exposed. Or he only develops the skill to run that system.

But this IS the NFL. There's no higher league to which a QB will graduate. And if our QB goes to another team, who cares if he's not as good. That's actually better for us.

Not only that, but the WCO is a "system" that's run by many teams. Even Favre, when he was traded to the Jets had to learn a new system. Doesn't mean it can't be done.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”