Zero2Cool
11 years ago
Click the author to read his thoughts about the interview, which has a second part airing later tonight.

Here is the full transcript of the first part of the interview, courtesy of the NFL Network’s Andrew Howard:

> On what he is doing now: “Just hanging out back home, helping out and doing a little coaching at the high school.”

> On if he is demanding as a coach: “I find with each day I get a little more demanding, but I’m not a yeller. My dad yelled a bunch and I’ve been around a lot of coaches [and] I’ve seen coaches yell. I’m kind of in-between.”

> On what coach worked on him: “[Mike] Holmgren, he was so instrumental. Everyone knows the West Coast [offense], or a version of it now; it was just kind of new, it was just Joe Montana and Bill Walsh back then. The offense just fit me perfectly and he was the best guy to lead me.”

> On if he is enjoying coaching: “I am enjoying it. At the high school level, I find that because being so far removed from that you feel like you’re coaching. You really feel like you’re making an impact.”

> On if he could see himself coaching: “I don’t think I would never move up. I like the free time, and I was reluctant to give more of my time. At the high school, I’ve been just volunteering.”

> On his playing career: “I feel like playing 20 years of pro football and numerous other years, there are no regrets because when I look back, people ask me if I missed it. I thought I would. I really don’t miss it; I kind of miss some of the goofing off…I left it out there. There is no [feeling of], ‘If I would have just done this.’ I did it all.”

> On what he would tell starting quarterback Chris Miller when he was with the Atlanta Falcons: “I would tell Chris just go in there and screw it up so I could finish the second half 😆.”

> On his knowledge of the game: “I studied hard. I don’t care what other people think. I ran the Wishbone in high school. Then when I went to college, I started four years but it was I-Formation, never ran shotgun. I was way behind; I could throw it, but if you were to ask what nickel defense was, I had no clue. But the older I got, the harder I prepared. As my success grew, so did my knowledge of the game.”

> On when he first arrived in Green Bay: “When I got to Green Bay, [there was] a lot of tradition but a long time since they had won. A lot of people were, ‘We need to win, it’s been 25 years.’ [Mike] Holmgren, he had gotten there a month before I did so we were all kind of just starting over…I just knew that if they ever put me on the field, then that’s going to be a good move.”

> On if he always had that kind of confidence: “Looking back, how I made it I have no idea. I thought just play me…That’s part of the success of me is that sometimes it’s better to just go play.”

> On not being wanted by an organization any longer after being with them for a long time: “We see it all the time. But I also understand that changes need to be made sometimes in spite of how you play. It would be easy to say we’re going to let this guy go if you didn’t play very well; it’s like, ‘You start to see diminished skills.’ I had my best year my last year there [in Green Bay]. A lot has been said about their side, my side. The business part of it is it happens. I’m not upset with that, I really am not.”

> On if he has any relationship with the Green Bay Packers: “Not really.”

> On if would like to have a relationship with the Green Bay Packers: “It will happen someday…That day will come. I haven’t lost any sleep over it, nor have they. They’ve gone on.”

> On his impact on the Green Bay Packers: “What I did speaks for itself. What I left behind speaks for itself.”

> On if the Green Bay Packers call and want to have a ‘Brett Favre’ day where they retire his jersey: “Why? [Laughing] I don’t know what the future holds, but I do know this: whether anything happened between you and Atlanta, me and Green Bay – and people think I’m crazy – but I don’t need to have a day. I don’t need to have a retirement [where they] retire your jersey to solidify my career.”

Jason Wilde  wrote:

UserPostedImage
Cheesey
11 years ago
Wow......has he REALLY lost his love of the "It's all about ME!" image?
As far as the Packers leaving him behind, he always seems to forget that he jerked them around for quite a few years, kind of forcing their hand to go with Rodgers. Which i think has been proven to be the right move in the end.

And him not wanting "his" day in GB? I'm not so sure he really feels that way. I still think he has "sour grapes" that they let him go. I really believe he thought the team would collapse without him there, and he was just waiting so say "SEE? I TOLD you so!"
Of course again, that's JUST my opinions, based on how he acted around the whole mess.

Maybe he really has let it go, and doesn't care now.

I'd love to see him "kiss and make up" with the GB organization. It would be a lot happier ending then the way it is now. It would be better for both sides.
UserPostedImage
dhazer
11 years ago
I am watching NFL network and they are talking about records that will never be broken and Favre is at #3with his consecutive starts. The thing I don't understand is why don't they count the playoffs? After all it is a game that means something. So I looked it up and his real streak is 321 games. That is just amazing to me.
Just Imagine this for the next 6-9 years. What a ride it will be 🙂 (PS, Zero should charge for this)
UserPostedImage
porky88
11 years ago
First, it’s refreshing to hear him admit he came back for the money. This is obviously true in most cases, so it’s nice to see an athlete admit it.

Two things caught me off-guard, though.

I always thought the winging it stuff was something Favre wanted apart of his brand. It’s obviously bull. Playing quarterback is hard and a lot of work goes into it. Perhaps Favre didn’t embrace the off-season in his older age, but the cerebral side to his game never got enough credit.

It’s disappointing that he doesn't care about a jersey retirement ceremony. That’s a privilege and one not shared by many other players in the 80-plus years of the Green Bay Packers. He's missing the point there.
DakotaT
11 years ago

It’s disappointing that he doesn't care about a jersey retirement ceremony. That’s a privilege and one not shared by many other players in the 80-plus years of the Green Bay Packers. He's missing the point there.

Originally Posted by: porky88 

I think he's full of shit. It bothers him plenty. When has Favre ever embelished something. [sarcasm]
UserPostedImage
doddpower
11 years ago

I think he's full of shit. It bothers him plenty. When has Favre ever embelished something. [sarcasm]

Originally Posted by: Dakotat 

Yeah, I really have no reason to believe anything Favre says, really. Why would I? As the saying goes, actions speak louder than words. I likely won't believe much from either side about this whole situation until I see some action. Either way, I don't really care to begin with. There is plenty of current exciting Packer's activities (an amazing team, stadium additions, rookies, etc.). I'm just not that concerned with Favre right now. As he said, something will happen one day, but I don't think anyone is really in a hurry.

Favre said he completely understands the business side of the decision in that interview. Well, then what the fuck is the problem? Perhaps they weren't "kind" enough to you, or pamper you enough through the situation, Favre? Bottom line: it wasn't anything personal; just business. Sure, it could have been handled with a little more grace, but things happen. If you understand the business behind the decision, then why did you act like a butt-hurt little girl? I never interpreted "the decision" as anything personal towards Brett or believed that he couldn't play at a high level for a little while longer. It simply made the most sense for the Packer's at that time, and well, . . . he was retired. Ted Thompson's train continually moves forward, regardless of the circumstances. It's not personal, it was about the Green Bay Packers. I've said it many times, but I'm glad Ted handles business that way he does.

Zero2Cool
11 years ago
The Packers didn't choose to go with Aaron Rodgers. Brett Favre made that choice for them when he retired. The Packers (Ted Thompson and Mark McCarthy specifically) assumed there was no way Favre wouldn't return for the '08 season after coming close in '07 and performing so well. That's why they were urging Favre for a response.

It was far more on the principle of, you retired, we have moved on already, (as the famous comment went) the train has left the building. This goes with everything the Packers have been doing and did prior. You set a plan, you move forward with it. Favre changed their plans, and then changed his mind and got pissed off when the Packers didn't change their course.

With Favre saying he doesn't need his jersey retired and just how he said that. My first reaction is, it almost feels like a slap in the face. I would have to say Favre holds concern for his legacy and that's why he says things like "dont need a ceremony to validate my career" or whatever the specific wording was. He's said something similar many, many times. But thing is, this is one final "hoorah" for the fans to GIVE Favre and show appreciation for what he did for 16 years.

I dunno, gotta think about this more, but yeah, initial reaction kinda feels like mom an dad were divorced for a few years now and the kids are shortchanged because of it.
UserPostedImage
Dexter_Sinister
11 years ago

The Packers didn't choose to go with Aaron Rodgers. Brett Favre made that choice for them when he retired. The Packers (Ted Thompson and Mark McCarthy specifically) assumed there was no way Favre wouldn't return for the '08 season after coming close in '07 and performing so well. That's why they were urging Favre for a response.

It was far more on the principle of, you retired, we have moved on already, (as the famous comment went) the train has left the building. This goes with everything the Packers have been doing and did prior. You set a plan, you move forward with it. Favre changed their plans, and then changed his mind and got pissed off when the Packers didn't change their course.

With Favre saying he doesn't need his jersey retired and just how he said that. My first reaction is, it almost feels like a slap in the face. I would have to say Favre holds concern for his legacy and that's why he says things like "dont need a ceremony to validate my career" or whatever the specific wording was. He's said something similar many, many times. But thing is, this is one final "hoorah" for the fans to GIVE Favre and show appreciation for what he did for 16 years.

I dunno, gotta think about this more, but yeah, initial reaction kinda feels like mom an dad were divorced for a few years now and the kids are shortchanged because of it.

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

Not only did he retire, he urged them to move on when they heard the rumors that Favre and his family were spreading about him coming back. Like Letterman's show for example.

The Packers went so far as to get a roster exemption from the league to clear the way for Favre. He is the one who said no in the end. Not the Packers. Because he was never interested in coming back.
I want to go out like my Grandpa did. Peacefully in his sleep.
Not screaming in terror like his passengers.
zombieslayer
11 years ago

First, it’s refreshing to hear him admit he came back for the money. This is obviously true in most cases, so it’s nice to see an athlete admit it.

Two things caught me off-guard, though.

I always thought the winging it stuff was something Favre wanted apart of his brand. It’s obviously bull. Playing quarterback is hard and a lot of work goes into it. Perhaps Favre didn’t embrace the off-season in his older age, but the cerebral side to his game never got enough credit.

Originally Posted by: porky88 

I think he's just burned out on the whole Favre vs the Packers fiasco so he can care less. Which is perfectly fine.

As for cerebral, yes, Favre's football intelligence was underrated. He played very intelligently in 2007 and 2009, except of course for game ending INTs in the CGs of both years. Both teams should have won the SB those years. Yes, I fully believe we would have matched up well against the Pats in 2007. And the Vikings in 2009 > the Colts in 2009. But up until then, he played with his brains very well.

Bums me out about 2007 though. Really wish we would have won it all in 2007 as Favre would have retired and everything would have ended in a happy ending. Rodgers would have still started in 2008 and we'd have 2 SBs with Favre and one with Aaron, bringing us to 5 SBs instead of a measly 4. Pisses me off that we're still behind the Cows.

And Hazer's right. One of today's QBs will eventually have the Yards & TD records, but nobody's gonna get the consecutive starts.
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage
(thanks to Pack93z for the pic)
2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. 🇹🇹 🇲🇲 🇦🇷
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (7h) : Chase Young to sign $13M contract with Saints
Zero2Cool (7h) : Yosh to Panthers what noooo. Wait he didn't do crap
wpr (18-Mar) : I say that he is technically HER BIL as he married her sister. I checked it out, he's considered my BIL as well. Sad.
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : wpr, I assume its your BIL via marriage to your wife? If so, I can figure out where the smarts in the family went ;)
wpr (18-Mar) : Mucky my B-I-L is Bare Stupid. I could write a book.
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : As a teenager in Rockford IL I would get heckled by adults in public for wearing GB gear
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : if you think the online ones are bad, try *living amongst* them
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : Never doubt wprs loyalty. Poor guy is surrounded by Bears fans in Northern IL
wpr (17-Mar) : pass Martha. Thanks for the invite though.
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : blog * as the same ugly Illinois colors were adopted by the Baer
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : WPR, perhaps you should be joining the Bears fans blog has the same ugly Illinois colors were adopted by the Bears
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : Ah a fellow U of Illinois hater. I can respect that though I imagine it's for different reasons
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : BTW. I didn't catch the game. I just hate Illinois.
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : They're your Big Ten Chumps and you will like it!
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : No, not for the record. Referee's handled that BS. Orange team was trash ass
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : *Your* Big Ten Chumps for the record
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : No, not Big Ten Champs. IL is big ten CHUMPS
wpr (17-Mar) : Big Ten Champs
wpr (17-Mar) : !!!
wpr (17-Mar) : INI
wpr (17-Mar) : ILL
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : Wisconsin with an outstanding on in the men’s Big Ten basketball tournament. Let’s hope it continues in the NCAAs
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : Almost like taking QB in 2020 even if you don't need one is good move.
Mucky Tundra (16-Mar) : 2021 QB Draft class looking like a real clunker
Mucky Tundra (16-Mar) : A conditional 6th rounder? I remember Bears fans arguing they'd get a day 2 pick at worst lol
dfosterf (16-Mar) : So I got the no extension part right and the have to wait on the CW physical wrong
Zero2Cool (16-Mar) : Bears are trading Justin Fields for a 2025 6th-round pick that goes to a 4th-round pick based on playtime, per sources.
Zero2Cool (16-Mar) : Former Packer Jarrett Bush opens Wisconsin’s first blow dry bar in Green Bay
dfosterf (16-Mar) : If the Bears are not doing a deal with Washington, they also cannot trade Fields until Williams physical with them. All hail Caleb Williams!
dfosterf (16-Mar) : The talent is undeniable, but the (advertised) haul is obscene.
dfosterf (16-Mar) : If the Bears are cutting a deal with the Commanders, in either scenario, cannot happen until williams passes a Commanders physical
dfosterf (16-Mar) : My guess is no to the Fields extension, but yes to the trade back with the Commanders.
dhazer (15-Mar) : I think the Bears do a Love extension and they will trade out of the 1st pick and take the haul
Martha Careful (15-Mar) : that might make sense
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Justin Fields to Steelers?
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Kenny Pickett. Eagles. Done.
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : They can claim best two WR tandem.
Mucky Tundra (15-Mar) : Aaron Donald retiring
dhazer (15-Mar) : Campbell signing with 49ers
dhazer (15-Mar) : I love how the Bear Fans are now claiming they have the best skill players in the NFC North lol
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Vikings made a move to get a 2nd first round pick
Mucky Tundra (15-Mar) : That's a not a bad deal for the Bears
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Bears have traded for WR Keenan Allen sending Chargers a fourth rounder.
Martha Careful (15-Mar) : *signs
Martha Careful (14-Mar) : MLB Devon White science with the Eagles
Mucky Tundra (14-Mar) : But that was before FA started
Mucky Tundra (14-Mar) : Dhaze, I thought Kurls would be their #1 target when I read that he was an Amos comp (jack of all trades guy)
dhazer (14-Mar) : I would like to see the Packers target 2 more FA still available Kamren Curl Safety and Chase Young edge
Martha Careful (14-Mar) : wow...didn't see that coming
Zero2Cool (14-Mar) : AJ Dillon re-signing with Packers.
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
3h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

12h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

13h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

18-Mar / Around The NFL / Mucky Tundra

16-Mar / Random Babble / Martha Careful

16-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / TheKanataThrilla

15-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dhazer

15-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

14-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

14-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

14-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

13-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.