Pack93z
11 years ago
Excerpt of his story... Kid has seen alot.. from installing DirectTV and Sunday Ticket to playing on it.

Basically.. I think the kid has seen how drastic life and change.. and that might play into it in part.

Could have he worded it better.. yep.. and probably should have. Maybe the contract offer was fair from the Ravens.. I just don't know and refuse to judge him upon his choice and a single quoted line upon his choice. That is my way of thinking on it.

Cary Williams overcame abuse and anguish on way to NFL 
Adopted by his cousin, offered a scholarship by a school he'd never heard of and plucked by the Ravens, Williams found his way

Williams' father, Cary Williams Sr., was determined to do whatever it would take to keep his two sons alive, to keep them from joining a gang, but the burden was enormous. Both father and son agree on this much, even to this day. Williams' mother was diagnosed with schizophrenia when her two sons were very young, and Williams estimates he and his younger brother Ronald lived with her for no more than 10 months throughout their lives. They would visit her every time she checked into a mental hospital, always hoping and praying that this time, someone would help her get better. Those prayers were never answered.

"Every time she'd have one of her spells, she'd go into the mental asylum," Williams said. "That was the majority of my life. We'd go to different mental asylums and see her when she wasn't in the best condition. I felt like I didn't have a mother to a degree, because we didn't have a mother-son relationship. I loved her, but we were never able to sit down and have a real conversation, a heart-to-heart. It hurts me every single day when I think about it."

Cary Williams Sr. will admit, right up front, that he struggled to keep his head above water as a single father. He was confused, overwhelmed, and occasionally angry. He was too proud, he says now, to ask for help. At some point, he told himself the most important thing he could do for his sons was keep them away from drugs, and keep them alive. He had been a high school track star growing up in Dade County in the 1970s, and Cary and his brother never tired of hearing the neighborhood urban legend about the day their father outran a car in a street race. Sports, Williams Sr. believed, provided the only chance he had.

"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
Pack93z
11 years ago
And lets look at more of the context of his statement.. and why he made the decision he did.

Basically.. he played hurt last season.. he feels healthy he can play better and improve his value. Also.. he is still a restricted Free Agent.. so the Ravens are trying to buy out one year for the under market value of the remaining to.. but probably still fair to all as he is getting more of that money up front this season.

IMO.. he is gambling on his health here.. and although he might be trying to do the best he can do, it is apparent that it isn't the security he is looking for.. other wise he would probably take the deal and bank the money this season.

Either way.. even his 1.927 million this year should provide a comfortable level of security most of us will never approach.. so yes Zero I understand your point.

Living in the real world that we walk in.. yes it is a bullshit statement to make. But that is a different world..

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/ravens/bs-sp-ravens-cary-williams-0820-20120819,0,6784654.story 

Williams emerged as a starter for the first time last season, recording a career-high 77 tackles and 18 pass deflections with two forced fumbles.

Although Williams underwent surgery during the offseason to repair a torn labrum in his right hip, the Ravens attempted to lock him up on a long-term basis.

Instead, though, Williams signed his one-year, $1.927 million restricted free agent tender.

"Cary was fired up about his value and what he's worth after a successful year," said Marc Lillibridge, Williams' agent. "We feel like if he can play as good or better than last season and lead the Ravens to a Super Bowl, then he'll get his just due. I completely agree with that. You roll the dice on yourself your entire life.

"Cary loves challenges and people that doubt him. He thrives on proving people wrong. Cary continues to amaze people with his determination. This is simply another challenge he will take on, and ultimately conquer."

"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
Porforis
11 years ago

A college degree is a step above someone who doesn't have a degree, therefore they have an advantage. Also, being a former professional sports player is a positive, not a negative. Of course, the position of employment also factors a role too.

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

I really don't see how being a former NFL player would be a positive for many businesses, outside of Sales or anything else that will make your customers immediately respond to that person. But even then, without the appropriate skills, that sort of attention is unlikely to turn into sales. There's exceptions of course, but I'd be hesitant to hire... Well, anybody used to making tons of money and being adored, in the spotlight. Yes, being in the NFL and successful enough to be in the "millions of dollars" discussion would mean that this person has at least decent teamwork skills and presumably work ethic. But what happens to that work ethic when you pay them 1/100,000th of what they're used to? What about the crappy customers, lack of major attention received for any good job done? I may be selling some people short, but again there's tons of people out there completely unwilling to put forth any effort unless they have a job they really like and are getting paid what they think they're worth. I don't see your standard NFL player as having a dramatic amount more basic work ethic than Joe Worker, and hiring a multimillionaire that's used to having their every good move highlighted (as well as bad, to be fair) would make me extremely nervous.
Since69
11 years ago
I had to google his name; guess how I feel about his "need" to earn more than $5M a year...
UserPostedImage
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
11 years ago

I really don't see how being a former NFL player would be a positive for many businesses, outside of Sales or anything else that will make your customers immediately respond to that person. But even then, without the appropriate skills, that sort of attention is unlikely to turn into sales. There's exceptions of course, but I'd be hesitant to hire... Well, anybody used to making tons of money and being adored, in the spotlight. Yes, being in the NFL and successful enough to be in the "millions of dollars" discussion would mean that this person has at least decent teamwork skills and presumably work ethic. But what happens to that work ethic when you pay them 1/100,000th of what they're used to? What about the crappy customers, lack of major attention received for any good job done? I may be selling some people short, but again there's tons of people out there completely unwilling to put forth any effort unless they have a job they really like and are getting paid what they think they're worth. I don't see your standard NFL player as having a dramatic amount more basic work ethic than Joe Worker, and hiring a multimillionaire that's used to having their every good move highlighted (as well as bad, to be fair) would make me extremely nervous.

Originally Posted by: Porforis 

I am paraphrasing this but several of the players on the Packers teams from the 60's have said that when Vince taught them how to succeed and be winners on the field they took those lessons and were able to apply them in the business world off the field and become extremely successful. they often said they had more success after playing in the NFL than they did when they played. Part of the reason was the way things inflated in the 70s and 80s. Part of the reason is they were facing people who didn't have the will to push themselves like most players in the NFL that they faced.
UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
11 years ago

My point there is simply this.. if they are not offering much in terms of guaranteed money.. if might not be a contract that secures his family long term.

3 year 15 million without much in guarantees offers little protection in this dog eat dog sport. He goes out and tears a knee up.. he might never see that money.

We don't know his financial situation.. his he supporting more than just his immediate family? Is he supporting a Mother, a Father? Brothers or sisters? Is there medical conditions anywhere in his family?

Not saying it is or isn't.. but without a chunk of guaranteed money, all you have is the potential to earn 15 over 3 in the cited example.

While most of us can't touch that type of cash, namely me lol, part of your job as a provider is to secure the family as best as you can.

So if the Ravens are backloading the deal.. or not offering much in terms of guarantees.. I could see the rational in the statement for a guy in his position and talent. NFL players have options we in the "real" world just don't have.

All I am saying is I can see why it is labeled as greed... but we just don't know enough details to understand his position.

Originally Posted by: Pack93z 

I never once judged him, nor would I ever as I am ignorant to the entire facts (perhaps he has tons of medical bills from a family member coping with cancer?). I take offense to any implication of the such. I specifically said this kind of stuff, not this person. You hurt my feelings. ✋

As for the guaranteed money, figure it like this. Average salary is what, $40,000 per year? Do that for 45 years and you get ~$2 million. He's earning $1.9 million this year, not including previously earned wages.

Again, I repeat ... I am all for people getting their max value ... it just rubs me the wrong way when someone making seven figures or more uses family as reasoning for needing more money. That is my beef. That is my issue.

UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
11 years ago

I had to google his name; guess how I feel about his "need" to earn more than $5M a year...

Originally Posted by: Since69 

If he feels he's worth more than $5 million a year, I'm all for it. I'm just saying, don't use family as a reason for "needing" more money.

UserPostedImage
Pack93z
11 years ago

I never once judged him, nor would I ever as I am ignorant to the entire facts (perhaps he has tons of medical bills from a family member coping with cancer?). I take offense to any implication of the such. I specifically said this kind of stuff, not this person. You hurt my feelings. ✋

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

Who the hell said you did... I clearly stated I would not judge him.. I never stated nor implied you did.

Please don't put words or implication in my posts.. I was posting my opinion on the topic at hand.. not picking yours apart.

Did I make that point clear now?

My point is.. "this stuff" shouldn't be, in my opinion, taken as a global statement from all.. each different case has different circumstances.. and we just don't know those circumstances all the time.

That is all..

Pack93z
11 years ago
Furthermore, if my what 5 plus years of posts haven't made it clear.. there isn't a player in the game that deserves to make the kind of coin they do.. none.

So at the end of the day.. I fail to understand any of them bitching about money at all.

But it is the current landscape of the sport.. or sports in general.. and we the people support that system season after season.

So in the end.. is there really a good way for saying 3 year and 15 million is not enough for me to play a game?
Zero2Cool
11 years ago

Who the hell said you did... I clearly stated I would not judge him.. I never stated nor implied you did.

Please don't put words or implication in my posts.. I was posting my opinion on the topic at hand.. not picking yours apart.

Did I make that point clear now?

My point is.. "this stuff" shouldn't be, in my opinion, taken as a global statement from all.. each different case has different circumstances.. and we just don't know those circumstances all the time.

That is all..

Originally Posted by: Pack93z 

My apologies then, I read your post incorrectly. I agree, "this stuff" shouldn't be a global statement from all.

UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
dfosterf (1h) : Kidding aside, I hope the best for him.
dfosterf (1h) : Went to a Titans board. One comment there. Not very long. I quote: "LOL" They don't sound overly upset about our aquisition.
beast (2h) : OT Dillard has been absolutely horrible... like OG Newman levels
dfosterf (2h) : Suit him up and have him stand in front of the big board as a draft day cautionary tale.
Zero2Cool (3h) : Packers sign T Andre Dillard.
Mucky Tundra (18h) : Adds most of the information this time of year comes from agents.
Mucky Tundra (18h) : @RealAlexBarth Bill Belichick says accurate draft information doesn't leak from teams until about 12 hours before the draft. Adds most of th
Mucky Tundra (18h) : I am very happy that for moment, Jordan Love seems like a normal human being
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : Belichick * whatever
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : "There's a lot of depth at Offensive Tackle and Wide Receiver." Bill Bellichick
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : Thanks! I can't believe it's over haha
Martha Careful (16-Apr) : Congratulations
Zero2Cool (16-Apr) : Boom. Student Loan. $0.00. Only took about 20 years.
Zero2Cool (14-Apr) : Packers DT Kenny Clark: New defensive coordinator Jeff Hafley will 'allow us to be way more disruptive'
Zero2Cool (12-Apr) : Saints have agreed to terms on a contract with former Packers wide receiver Equanimeous St. Brown.
beast (12-Apr) : No, but of it's for legislation, then half of the country will find it evil, not good, whatever it says....
Mucky Tundra (12-Apr) : Draft is still 2 weeks away. UGH
dhazer (11-Apr) : Does anyone know of a good AI generator to create letters of Support for legislation?
Zero2Cool (11-Apr) : Gordon "Red" Batty retires as equipment manager
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Sounds like that's pretty certain now.
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Packers "at" Eagles in Brazil. Week One
dfosterf (10-Apr) : Va' Fazer As Malas Va' !
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Mark Murphy tipping us off?
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : “We’re either the first- or second-most popular team in Brazil.”
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Christian Watson got married. Wife better be careful with those hamstrings!! 😂😂
dfosterf (9-Apr) : Those poor bastards
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Falcons have signed former Packers CB Kevin King, who has been out of football since 2021.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Collectively, we need to spend more time in what we have, when analyzing ostendible needs and historical proclivities
dfosterf (8-Apr) : I say he is better than so many of these draft picks
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Question of the week for me: Has anyone besides me done any deep dive into the potential of Alex McGough, our 3rd string qb?
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Or in Tunsil's case, something gets released day of draft or day before lol
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Seems every year someone does something pre-draft.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Falling down drunk. The draft board
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Allright! Potential character guy/f#×k up pickup in D'Vondre Sweat!
Zero2Cool (7-Apr) : Go Badgers!!!
Martha Careful (6-Apr) : Go Boilermakers!!!
Martha Careful (5-Apr) : Diggs has not stepped up in the playoffs and has a high cost
beast (5-Apr) : Probably not going to let Diggs walk away unless he's horrible... but according to reports he also might not be as good as he used to be.
beast (5-Apr) : The 25th pick in the draft has been an offensive player since 2017, 2 TE, 2 WR, 1 RB, 1 OC
Mucky Tundra (5-Apr) : Odd, why give up a 2025 2nd Rounder for him if you're just gonna let him walk?
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : Texans to let Diggs be free agent in '25
buckeyepackfan (4-Apr) : 49r's aign RB Patrick Taylor.
Martha Careful (4-Apr) : Reversion to the mean would indicate we will keep it
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : It's also been utilized in a trade in 14 of the past 20 years
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : The 25th pick in the draft hasn't been made by it's original holder since 2016.
Mucky Tundra (4-Apr) : Gotta imagine that Green Bay vs Houston will be a primetime game this upcoming season
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : No. Kill QB. No worries. 😁
Mucky Tundra (3-Apr) : Diggs, Collins, Dell and Schultz is gonna be tough to cover
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : Stefon Diggs' trade will not be processed as a post-June 1 designation, so that is just over $31 million in dead cap this year.
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : Bills trading WR Stefon Diggs to the Texans in exchange for a 2025 2nd-round pick. (via @rapsheet)
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
1h / Random Babble / Martha Careful

3h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

6h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

16h / Random Babble / Mucky Tundra

18h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

16-Apr / Random Babble / Martha Careful

15-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

12-Apr / Random Babble / Nonstopdrivel

12-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

11-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.