Zero2Cool
11 years ago
Much more if you click the link.

From humble beginnings and bumpy roads, I talk candidly about the man on and off the field, giving insight into why Aaron Rodgers is more than just the best quarterback in the NFL, but a unique and likable individual. A man who didn't always have things go his way; yet through his struggles, he was able to find his strengths, his humility and his humanity.

First Impressions

I remember the first time I saw Aaron Rodgers, sitting in the back of a bus loaded with college recruits and family. My first observation was that he looked like a little high school kid who had just discovered hair under his armpits.

He wore a baseball cap which seemed to cover his face, yet I could still make out his idealistic smile and wisdom behind the eyes. I sat down in his general area, and at some point he and I introduced ourselves. I remember how surprised I was when he told me he played quarterback. My initial impression was that he was a place kicker or punter, judging from his frail and meager stature.

Coincidentally, Aaron’s first summer in Cal was spent living in an old, enormous, relatively empty frat house just off campus right across the hall from myself. There were a few of us temporarily lodged away there for the month; we paid rent by doing odd clean-up jobs around the house.

Aaron shared a room with his Butte junior college teammate, tight end Garrett Cross, while I was in a room with running back J.J Arrington. That summer month in the dirty frat house gave Aaron, Garrett and I time to get to know each other well enough to all agree to become roommates once the season and fall semester started.

During that time, I would say Aaron was a fairly reserved guy who had a distinct sense of humor, which he seemed reluctant to unleash because of its “nerdish tendencies.”

I could relate to this feeling. We shared some similarities in our hesitation to let people in right away, so Garrett became more of a buffer between us as we slowly improved our comfort levels with each other. However, this comfort was always kept at a relatively distant level.

It’s hard for me to analyze the dynamics at play between our personalities, but it seemed we both had a strange disconnect, preventing a deeper comfort level and trust, yet we both were fond of one another and enjoyed our living arrangement and friendship. After all, we liked each other well enough to become roommates during our first year in college.

The Emergence of a Legend

That July, during practices on the rugby field above the stadium, Rodgers showed off his arm for the first time in the presence of the Cal football team. It didn’t take long before whispers regarding such impressive strength began to circulate around the team.

After enough talk had consistently found its way into my dense skull, I decided to assess things for myself. So when I had a free moment away from defensive line drills, I focused in on the mechanics and arm strength of Cal’s new QB acquisition.

At that time, Reggie Robertson was slotted in as the solid starter after the recent departure of Kyle Boller, who was drafted in the first round earlier that same year. Robertson was a senior that season who had waited patiently over four years for his opportunity to start.

The difference in spin and velocity between these two guys as I watched them throw passes to receivers running routes was astounding. Aaron's throws were crisp, tight spirals which zipped through the air in a straight line as if on a rope. Reggie’s throws were soft and wobbly by comparison. He was reasonably accurate, but his lack of velocity would allow for defenders to close the gaps on his throws much quicker.

Even so, no one really knew what was to become of Aaron. Hundreds of quarterbacks have come and gone, all of whom could launch the ball with robot-like power. But the mark of a great QB is not measured in arm strength or physical dimensions; although many experts are likely to tell you differently. A quarterback’s true greatness resides in his heart and his mind—two places scouts have yet to accurately measure or predict.

This common erroneous emphasis was in fact one of the main reasons Aaron's destiny had led him to Berkeley, as the guy nobody paid any attention to.

Even the great ones have growing pains. Sometimes these struggles can be so painful they can forever destroy confidence. Other times, they can be that key element in the very necessary maturation process.

On October 4 , 2003, Cal was set to play Oregon State at home following an unbelievable upset over USC. This would be only the third start ever for Aaron. He started the first half of the USC game but was replaced by Robertson in the second half after his confidence began to falter as the game wore on.

I can only imagine what the pressure must be like to be the starting quarterback of a big-time college football program, performing in front of thousands of fans. Unless you have ice in your veins, adjusting to a stage of that magnitude seems to be a major process.

Aaron started the game playing horrible football. He was extremely uncomfortable, completing just two of his first 14 passes. The speed of the game and constant pressure Oregon State applied to our offense was clearly giving Aaron more than he could handle at the time. Head coach Jeff Tedford decided to let the young quarterback play his way through the struggles.

UserPostedImage

By the time the final whistle had blown, Oregon State had won 35-21. Aaron finished the game despite the paralyzing boos of the home crowd. He completed just nine passes on 34 attempts for only 52 yards, no touchdowns, and an interception.

I was too busy playing in the game to really notice how well Aaron had publicly handled such a terrible performance in what was his first complete home game in front of his family, friends, and the home crowd in general. Unfortunately, this was a bad day in Mr. Rodgers’ neighborhood.

That night, back in our dorms, Aaron had been in his room all night with the door closed. So one of our roommates Francis and I decided to check in on him to see how he was holding up. When we went in the room, Aaron was laying in bed crying, profoundly disappointed in his performance. He told us that he felt as though he let the entire team down and the entire loss was his fault.

I could remember us trying to offer up some words of encouragement, which did seem to dilute his state of utter despair. But for the most part, this was an emotional process that Aaron absolutely had to go through to become the quarterback he is today. That was the worst game Aaron had ever played in his entire football career. In the end, he emerged a stronger person, better leader, and will be forever reminded of his own humility.

Seeing the man and quarterback he has become, it’s always interesting when I look back on that night in his bedroom, watching a boy become a man almost overnight.

After that game, Aaron Rodgers and the Golden Bears would go on to win five of the next seven games that season, including a barn-burner and major upset over Virginia Tech in the Insight Bowl.

It was in this game that Aaron took his skills to the next level and became one of the best quarterbacks in the nation. This inertia guided Aaron and the Bears into the 2004 season with great momentum.

Early on in the 2004 season, the Golden Bears had established themselves as a top-10 team in the nation heading into the much-anticipated undefeated matchup against the top-ranked USC Trojans at the Coliseum. A team who we had beaten last year handed us our only loss of the season. There was clearly a lot of bad blood going into this game, and the atmosphere was one of the craziest I had ever been a part of.

In a hostile environment and a nationally televised game, Aaron not only played great, but he tied an NCAA record with 23 straight completions. And he did this against one of the best defenses in the nation, on the road, and in front of one of the noisiest crowds I have ever experienced.

Cal vs. USC

It was on this day that the nation began to hear the name Aaron Rodgers. It was this game that catapulted him into the first round of the draft and truly displayed what appeared to be unlimited potential. His poise in the pocket and total command of the offense, coupled with pinpoint accuracy, is the reason why Rodgers is the best quarterback in the game today.

The Man Behind the Scenes?

Some interesting tidbits about Rodgers are bound to emerge after spending nearly every single day for almost two years with him.

During college, Rodgers was ridiculously enamored with Jessica Simpson; he seemed to even have it in his head that they were somehow going to get married. I believe this was around the time that she and Nick Lachey were newlyweds and had their own reality TV show.

Ironically, since that time, Aaron established himself as one of the best athletes in the world and Jessica actually dated another NFL quarterback in Tony Romo.

Funny to think of all the fantasy crushes men have in a lifetime, Aaron actually had a legitimate shot at his fantasy girl, but his desire for her fizzled out right around the time he was actually in a position to get hooked up with her. But “hooking up” with girls was never something Aaron prioritized in life.

Aaron was raised a devout Christian, and lived a life of strong religious values. He never spent his time in college drinking or partying. His discipline in life and foundation of beliefs were very admirable in an environment where he was often the odd man out.

This speaks strongly to the type of character it takes to be a great quarterback in the NFL. Dedication, self control and passion are often undervalued intangibles when you consider some of the first overall picks that have come and gone recently—guys like JaMarcus Russell for example.

Aaron was rarely, if ever, a guy you would find giving fiery speeches to his teammates, nor was he a big vocal leader. Rather, he would come in every day completely prepared to succeed at his job. I often wonder how much Aaron must have learned over the years from Brett Favre in terms of leadership and earning respect from his teammates. I’m sure, however, Aaron will always prefer to lead with his actions first and foremost.

An interesting tradition Aaron had was wearing an old, worn out, white Joe Montana T-shirt under his shoulder pads for every single game. Montana was always his favorite player growing up.

The world may know a charismatic, somewhat-stylish guy with lots of cool and a personality made for marketing. But the Aaron we all knew in college was much different. He used to drive around campus on a small scooter with a big bike helmet and the exact same hair cut as Lloyd Christmas from the movie” Dumb and Dumber,” which ultimately became one of his nicknames.

For being the starting quarterback of a Pac-10 football program, Aaron was surprisingly unknown and low-key around campus. There was little fanfare surrounding him, and he was often lost among the crowd in our locker room.

There was an obvious confidence and likability with the way he carried himself, yet he also managed to keep a distance from most people through school and even on the team. One of his favorite pastimes, and an alternative to college partying, was a nice poker game with a select group of friends.

The biggest complaint Rodgers consistently received as a roommate from the guys at the dorm was he routinely poured himself bowls of cereal and would never wash his dishes. He was the main culprit for creating a sink full of dishes that he would never clean, no matter how long the dishes sat there, or how many times you said something to him.

Aside from that, he was always a joy and a pleasure to be around. Very upbeat, positive and willing to be silly and let loose with the guys.

In closing, I remember a few conversations I had with Aaron in regards to quarterbacking. I remember we were discussing the differences between Joe Montana and Steve Young. I believe I gave him a convincing argument about one of the highly underestimated skills that Young brought to the table with his fantastic ability to scramble. I remember emphasizing how important that was and what it can do to defenses.

A scrambling QB never has to force passes into coverage because, if nobody is open, he can just tuck and run for a first down, thus keeping the chains moving. This is a great alternative to throwing the ball away as well.

Basically, a QB who can both throw and run at an elite level is virtually unstoppable. I was telling him that I love it when he takes off and runs and that he should always keep that option in mind.

Watching Aaron Rodgers play the quarterback position at a level which I’ve never seen in history makes it fun to imagine that, in my fantasy world, I helped to create his dual-threat style as perhaps the most effective and efficient scrambling QB in the game today.

C’mon, every guy can dream right? After all, Aaron has undoubtedly shown me that dreams can come true.

Ryan Riddle  wrote:

UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
11 years ago
Here's Aaron Rodgers comments on the above article.

On Ryan Riddle’s recent article about Rodgers’ life on Deadspin:

“That was a ridiculous article and very disappointing to see something come out like that because the majority of the facts, as stated by him in that article, are not true. And just to double-check on a lot of them, I talked to my roommate at Cal just to make sure I wasn’t completely off base and he agreed how ridiculous that article was. It’s sad that people who have some information about me can go out there and right stuff as if it’s true. … I’m not sure what his desire was in that article because the majority of it did not have a lot of truth in it.”

More on the article:

“He’s writing stuff in there as if he hung out with us and was this socialite guy when he was the one that was sitting in his room the entire time and didn’t really hang out with the three of us. … It was four of us in two rooms. Me and the guy I roomed with are still really close friends and the guy he was rooming with, we were at his wedding and keep in touch and nobody really talks to him, so I don’t know what his desire was.”

Response wrote:

UserPostedImage
RaiderPride
11 years ago
Great Read.. Thanks.

Also... Thank the good Lord he never did hook up with Jessica Simpson.
""People Will Probably Never Remember What You Said, And May Never Remember What You Did. However, People Will Always Remember How You Made Them Feel."
Pack93z
11 years ago

Here's Aaron Rodgers comments on the above article.

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

Rodgers comments remind me of StillWater's comments to Rolling Stone on the Williams article from the movie Almost Famous, in a playful way that is.

You get the feeling that the guy is just wired differently.. a blend of pushing yourself to the limit yet never taking yourself to seriously.

"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
Fan Shout
dfosterf (8h) : Maybe
Mucky Tundra (8h) : Yes
Zero2Cool (9h) : No.
Mucky Tundra (11h) : End of a Degu-era
dhazer (12h) : Steelers sign Patterson because of new kickoff rule interesting
Zero2Cool (15h) : Former #Packers TE Josiah Deguara is signing a 1-year deal with the Jaguars, per source.
Zero2Cool (16h) : They do not do it for "content sake".
dfosterf (28-Mar) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (27-Mar) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (27-Mar) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Against tbd
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (27-Mar) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (27-Mar) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (27-Mar) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
3h / Around The NFL / beast

8h / Green Bay Packers Talk / buckeyepackfan

28-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

28-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.