wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member Topic Starter
11 years ago

The NFL has sent a memo to all 32 teams notifying them that replacement referees will be used at the beginning of the regular season, according to Mike Freeman of CBS Sports. The season begins on Sept. 5 when the Dallas Cowboys take on the defending champion New York Giants.

link 
UserPostedImage
Porforis
11 years ago
Obviously the first game was bad as far as calls go, but that last game didn't have any more blown calls/no-calls than any normal game with normal refs. It did seem like they were giving both the receiver and defender a bit more leeway when it came to pass interference... Maybe it was just that they didn't notice the little pushes and the grabs, but the hopeful part of me says that all of the refs in all of the games will let WRs and DBs duke it out a bit more. Ask me again after the game how I feel, though. 🙂
Pack93z
11 years ago
Personally.. I think in terms of getting calls right.. they are doing a better job than the normal crew.

I do think they may be missing things, especially in the passing game where contact/interference happen rapidly. But even then I don't know that it really happening or not.

De Smith claiming the a strike is an option due to player safety concerns.. utter bullshit. The refs might miss a call.. but I don't know a single time I can think of were a ref got a player hurt other than actual physical contact on the play.. ie the ref getting in the way of the play. That and Orlando Brown getting stuck in the eye with the flag.. once in a lifetime deal.

Refs don't stop a play because they see a possible injury developing.. once a play starts (no off sides, illegal movement, etc) the play is live and there is not a damn thing the refs are going to do about it.. they don't blow the whistle if a DE breaks loose and is going to clobber the QB. They don't stop a seam route with a safety sitting in wait.

It is a bullshit cop out claim for attention to the NFLPA... where was this concern last season from the NFLPA when because of a partial responsibility on their part the refs didn't get a full slate of training in the TC's?

Joe Buck and Aikman can kiss my ass too.. making it sound all doom and gloom. Must be getting a kick back.

Look.. I don't disagree that the NFL is composed of a greedy bunch of billionaires, that this all about the money. But honestly, the players, the announcers, the refs.. they all are a bunch of Greedy SOB's because they see the cash roll in upon the cow. They all want a cut.. so don't sit here and play one off as more greedy than the other.

No the replacements are not as good as the regulars.. not yet at least.. but it is not like it is the end of the world either.

"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
Pack93z
11 years ago
Case in point.. mind you these are part time employees.

The driving factor is, as always, money. The league contends that it has offered annual raises between five and 11 percent, pointing out that the average pay for NFL officials last season was $149,000. (Not bad for a hobby.) Under the NFL’s most recent (and perhaps final) proposal, the average official would earn $189,000 by 2018.

First-year officials earned, on average, $78,000 in 2011. Under the NFL’s most recent (and perhaps final) proposal, the average first-year official from 2011 would be making $165,000 by 2018.

"Mike Florio" wrote:

"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
Porforis
11 years ago

Personally.. I think in terms of getting calls right.. they are doing a better job than the normal crew.

I do think they may be missing things, especially in the passing game where contact/interference happen rapidly. But even then I don't know that it really happening or not.

De Smith claiming the a strike is an option due to player safety concerns.. utter bullshit. The refs might miss a call.. but I don't know a single time I can think of were a ref got a player hurt other than actual physical contact on the play.. ie the ref getting in the way of the play. That and Orlando Brown getting stuck in the eye with the flag.. once in a lifetime deal.

Refs don't stop a play because they see a possible injury developing.. once a play starts (no off sides, illegal movement, etc) the play is live and there is not a damn thing the refs are going to do about it.. they don't blow the whistle if a DE breaks loose and is going to clobber the QB. They don't stop a seam route with a safety sitting in wait.

It is a bullshit cop out claim for attention to the NFLPA... where was this concern last season from the NFLPA when because of a partial responsibility on their part the refs didn't get a full slate of training in the TC's?

Joe Buck and Aikman can kiss my ass too.. making it sound all doom and gloom. Must be getting a kick back.

Look.. I don't disagree that the NFL is composed of a greedy bunch of billionaires, that this all about the money. But honestly, the players, the announcers, the refs.. they all are a bunch of Greedy SOB's because they see the cash roll in upon the cow. They all want a cut.. so don't sit here and play one off as more greedy than the other.

No the replacements are not as good as the regulars.. not yet at least.. but it is not like it is the end of the world either.

Originally Posted by: Pack93z 

If players recognize that Refs are missing hits to the head, chop blocks, illegal blocks in the back, horsecollars, etc... I do think we will see some players commiting these penalties more often. That being said, I agree that the NFLPA is full of shit. Just admit that a few of the games (especially the first week) were terrible and that it makes for a more unpredictable and undesirable game. They really don't have anything else significant to complain about.
Pack93z
11 years ago

If players recognize that Refs are missing hits to the head, chop blocks, illegal blocks in the back, horsecollars, etc... I do think we will see some players commiting these penalties more often. That being said, I agree that the NFLPA is full of shit. Just admit that a few of the games (especially the first week) were terrible and that it makes for a more unpredictable and undesirable game. They really don't have anything else significant to complain about.

Originally Posted by: Porforis 

The fine committee hasn't changed a bit.. same panel will review the plays as in weeks before.

So no.. I don't think that the frequency is going to increase. At least from my view.

We can look at almost any game from the past five years and find missed calls.. hits to the head, etc. But later in week they receive a fine.

So now we ask.. why did they start to fine players?

Because the penalties were not effective enough to change the behavior. The fines / suspensions, they say have.

So really.. does a small percentage of increased missed calls going to effect player behavior in an unsafe manner?

I don't believe so.

And the NFLPA is treading on a thin piece of ice here.. with some of their players fighting the bounty case now.

You know, skirting the rules set in place to try an intimidate at the minimum, the safety of the other players.

There really to me is no case here.. other than the style of play upon the field maybe slightly affected, example, maybe the defenders can be slightly more or less physical with the receivers. The Lineman may be able to hold a little more often.

If anything, I think the refs are jumping the whistle a bit and overcalling plays... 9 to 10 minutes added to the game times from this preseason to last. See the Perry call opening week.. or the roughing call called against Crabtree in which the hit was almost textbook.

Wade
  • Wade
  • Veteran Member
11 years ago
Jeff Triplette. Ed Hochuli. Their respective crews.

We should be worried because these people might be replaced.

Give me a break.

If you want to make an argument that perhaps there should be a couple more officials per crew (because of the speed of players v. the speed of zebras)...maybe there's a case.

But argue that the sky's going to fall because a bunch of lawyers (how many NFL refs are lawyers, I wonder?) might get replaced by a bunch of cheaper lawyers....bah.

And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.
Romans 12:2 (NKJV)
Wade
  • Wade
  • Veteran Member
11 years ago

Give me a break.

If you want to make an argument that perhaps there should be a couple more officials per crew (because of the speed of players v. the speed of zebras)...maybe there's a case.

But argue that the sky's going to fall because a bunch of lawyers (how many NFL refs are lawyers, I wonder?) might get replaced by a bunch of cheaper lawyers....bah.

It's like a corporate or university president blaming their failures on "the economy". It's a cop out.

Originally Posted by: Wade 

And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.
Romans 12:2 (NKJV)
Formo
11 years ago

Give me a break.

Originally Posted by: Wade 

Uhh.. Have you seen some of these replacements? I didn't think it would be much of a deal.. but from what I've seen and am starting to hear is these guys are literally in over their heads. Hell, just hearing them hit their mic and say, "Holding, Offense, number 75, 5 yard penalty, repeat 1st down." sounds like they are terrified. I heard a few of these calls in the few minutes of Viking preseason games and at least 4 times I've heard a ref make those calls and he was audibly trembling.

Yeah, sure, the 'normal' refs mess up. But just wait. You'll see how much more these guys will mess up if this continues.
UserPostedImage
Thanks to TheViking88 for the sig!!
Pack93z
11 years ago

Yeah, sure, the 'normal' refs mess up. But just wait. You'll see how much more these guys will mess up if this continues.

Originally Posted by: Formo 

And just how many non speaking mistakes have they made over the course of the preseason.

The worst and most notable that I have seen is not allowing Coughlin decide whether or not he wanted to run another play with the clock expired.

But other than incorrect names or jitters in speaking.. I just haven't see them get a call wrong. It may have taken a conference on the field, but they are getting the calls right.

Show me where they have made a mistake in what 97 games. Then I would like to review 97 games with the normal "polished" refs... I bet the difference just isn't that drastic.

My only point is this.. would I rather have the normal crews. Yes.

But, much like the Players and owners, the refs have succumb to the greed element from the cash cow that is the NFL.

The differences will more than likely be less felt than the alignment changes of the refs from last season. It is just being over hyped.

Until they can parse out the dollars.. this isn't that big of a deal.

Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (4h) : Chase Young to sign $13M contract with Saints
Zero2Cool (4h) : Yosh to Panthers what noooo. Wait he didn't do crap
wpr (18-Mar) : I say that he is technically HER BIL as he married her sister. I checked it out, he's considered my BIL as well. Sad.
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : wpr, I assume its your BIL via marriage to your wife? If so, I can figure out where the smarts in the family went ;)
wpr (18-Mar) : Mucky my B-I-L is Bare Stupid. I could write a book.
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : As a teenager in Rockford IL I would get heckled by adults in public for wearing GB gear
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : if you think the online ones are bad, try *living amongst* them
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : Never doubt wprs loyalty. Poor guy is surrounded by Bears fans in Northern IL
wpr (17-Mar) : pass Martha. Thanks for the invite though.
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : blog * as the same ugly Illinois colors were adopted by the Baer
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : WPR, perhaps you should be joining the Bears fans blog has the same ugly Illinois colors were adopted by the Bears
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : Ah a fellow U of Illinois hater. I can respect that though I imagine it's for different reasons
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : BTW. I didn't catch the game. I just hate Illinois.
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : They're your Big Ten Chumps and you will like it!
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : No, not for the record. Referee's handled that BS. Orange team was trash ass
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : *Your* Big Ten Chumps for the record
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : No, not Big Ten Champs. IL is big ten CHUMPS
wpr (17-Mar) : Big Ten Champs
wpr (17-Mar) : !!!
wpr (17-Mar) : INI
wpr (17-Mar) : ILL
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : Wisconsin with an outstanding on in the men’s Big Ten basketball tournament. Let’s hope it continues in the NCAAs
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : Almost like taking QB in 2020 even if you don't need one is good move.
Mucky Tundra (16-Mar) : 2021 QB Draft class looking like a real clunker
Mucky Tundra (16-Mar) : A conditional 6th rounder? I remember Bears fans arguing they'd get a day 2 pick at worst lol
dfosterf (16-Mar) : So I got the no extension part right and the have to wait on the CW physical wrong
Zero2Cool (16-Mar) : Bears are trading Justin Fields for a 2025 6th-round pick that goes to a 4th-round pick based on playtime, per sources.
Zero2Cool (16-Mar) : Former Packer Jarrett Bush opens Wisconsin’s first blow dry bar in Green Bay
dfosterf (16-Mar) : If the Bears are not doing a deal with Washington, they also cannot trade Fields until Williams physical with them. All hail Caleb Williams!
dfosterf (16-Mar) : The talent is undeniable, but the (advertised) haul is obscene.
dfosterf (16-Mar) : If the Bears are cutting a deal with the Commanders, in either scenario, cannot happen until williams passes a Commanders physical
dfosterf (16-Mar) : My guess is no to the Fields extension, but yes to the trade back with the Commanders.
dhazer (15-Mar) : I think the Bears do a Love extension and they will trade out of the 1st pick and take the haul
Martha Careful (15-Mar) : that might make sense
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Justin Fields to Steelers?
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Kenny Pickett. Eagles. Done.
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : They can claim best two WR tandem.
Mucky Tundra (15-Mar) : Aaron Donald retiring
dhazer (15-Mar) : Campbell signing with 49ers
dhazer (15-Mar) : I love how the Bear Fans are now claiming they have the best skill players in the NFC North lol
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Vikings made a move to get a 2nd first round pick
Mucky Tundra (15-Mar) : That's a not a bad deal for the Bears
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Bears have traded for WR Keenan Allen sending Chargers a fourth rounder.
Martha Careful (15-Mar) : *signs
Martha Careful (14-Mar) : MLB Devon White science with the Eagles
Mucky Tundra (14-Mar) : But that was before FA started
Mucky Tundra (14-Mar) : Dhaze, I thought Kurls would be their #1 target when I read that he was an Amos comp (jack of all trades guy)
dhazer (14-Mar) : I would like to see the Packers target 2 more FA still available Kamren Curl Safety and Chase Young edge
Martha Careful (14-Mar) : wow...didn't see that coming
Zero2Cool (14-Mar) : AJ Dillon re-signing with Packers.
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
35m / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

8h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

10h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

18-Mar / Around The NFL / Mucky Tundra

16-Mar / Random Babble / Martha Careful

16-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / TheKanataThrilla

15-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dhazer

15-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

14-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

14-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

14-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

13-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.