gbguy20
11 years ago

The cap will stagnate for a year or two, but then start going up again. Keep that in mind. As we go, there will be more space.

The player union reps wanted to look like they got a better settlement, so they in essence borrowed against the next couple years of cap expansion to make themselves look good. So the cap is stagnating a bit, but that won't always be the case.

Originally Posted by: nerdmann 

relevant to the topic, here is all of our favorite, Andrew Brandt, on the subject:

That's a great question. What we're dealing with is a fairly flat cap moving forward, even into 2014 and beyond. Many have asked about that and what about league revenues and the new TV contracts. The deal with the TV contracts is they start relatively close to where they ended financially. They rise throughout the 10-year ranks of their deals. In other words, any player thoughts on the spike of salary caps simply because the new TV deals kick in in 2014 is overstated. The deals kick in but they rise slowly. The projections are for a fairly flat cap through 2015. Maybe not even exceeding $125 million by then. But keep in mind that number is only the salary portion of the cap. There's a whole other benefits part of the cap, which could take it over 150 million. Sometimes there is no focus on what exactly the cap is and it's certainly more than negotiable salaries.

In other words, it may take a lot longer for that cap to go up a significant amount, and it probably won't be soon enough to be relevant in the Jennings negotiations.

I stumbled upon this little gem a few nights ago, when I was actually in the process of creating this exact same thread. The website I was using for player contract information proved to be inaccurate and I decided to scrap it all. So thank you pack93z for making this thread.
buckeyepackfan
11 years ago

Cut Hawk
Rework Woodson

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

I think Packers would be better off trying to trade Hawk if anything.

If I am correct, Packers cut Hawk next year and the 4.8 mil signing bonus money(1.6 mill 2013-14-15) will have to go against the cap in 2013 anyway.

Might as well keep him on, Packers are not going to benefit that much from cutting him.

I think you are gonna see these guys re-work their contracts to free up the money needed to sign the players who are going to be FA's next year.

Packers don't sign Greg Jennings to an extension during this year then pretty good odds he will be gone next year.

Somebody will pay him top dollar and The Packers just will not be able to afford him.

J. Finley needs to prove he can stay healthy and have a big year before he can demand top dollar. IMHO this is a wait and see issue.

I was addicted to The Hokey Pokey, but I turned myself around!
play2win
11 years ago
Great thread Pack93z!

Best part of this whole thing is Ted has options. I would not consider Jennings to be gone from this Packers team next season a sure thing. We know for sure Ted is anti-restructuring. That leaves us with trimming the roster at other positions to fit this boatload of talent back onto the team.

To me, Hawk and Finley both have severely underplayed. I've been equally disappointed with both. Hopefully they have a great year and make the decisions that much more difficult. Save the stress for after the season. We did win a SB without Finley. Same can't be said for Jennings.

We should figure Ted's rather conservative approach in FA this offseason reflects the room this guy is going to need to get Rodgers, Matthews, Raji and Jennings under contract. I would rate their importance in that order.

Found this interesting, even though some of the info is not current: Packers Top 20 Salaries

Player Salary (M=Millions) Contract/Extension Signed Expires
Charles Woodson, CB $11.562M 2010 After 2014
Aaron Rodgers, QB $8.500M 2008 After 2014
Tramon Williams, CB $7.381M 2010 After 2014
Greg Jennings, WR $7.347M 2009 After 2012
A.J. Hawk, LB $6.531M 2011 After 2015
Jermichael Finley, TE $5.750M 2012 After 2013
Ryan Pickett, DE $5.737M 2010 After 2013
Donald Driver, WR $5.000M 2010 After 2012
Josh Sitton, OG $4.800M 2011 After 2016
B.J. Raji, NT $4.255M 2009 After 2013
Desmond Bishop, LB $4.245M 2011 After 2014
Jeff Saturday, C $4.000M 2012 After 2013
Jordy Nelson, WR $3.825M 2011 After 2014
James Jones, WR $3.100M 2011 After 2013
Mason Crosby, K $2.400M 2011 After 2015
John Kuhn, FB $2.400M 2011 After 2013
Clay Matthews, LB $1.930M 2009 After 2013
Bryan Bulaga, OT $1.847M 2010 After 2014
Derrek Sherrod, OT $1.500M 2011 After 2015
Jarrett Bush, CB $1.433M 2012 After 2014

I think they have Rodgers exp date wrong, and a few other figures... but good to see.

http://www.rantsports.com/green-bay-packers/2012/05/10/top-20-2012-green-bay-packers-player-salaries/ 
Yerko
11 years ago
Like someone previously mentioned, wouldn't we still have to pay Hawk if he were cut?

If no then he would be the first to cut upon good news of a healthy Desmond Bishop. DJ Smith has been playing better football than Hawk and Hawk has been given more than enough chances (do not see him having some sort of break out season this year).

I was happy when the Packers re-signed Finley and this is the year for him to put up or shut up. If he has to shut up, cut his ass.

Jennings is more valuable than Finley...
UserPostedImage
mkapp
11 years ago
Just a reminder Ted Thompson and his draft wisdom will find a way to replace some of these guys with cheaper talent (see Nick Perry).
UserPostedImage
zombieslayer
11 years ago
Play gets an Applause point for the straight raw numbers. I love it when people post numbers we can examine.

That said, Driver will have retired. Woodson's salary might get adjusted, unless he has a monster year.
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage
(thanks to Pack93z for the pic)
2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. 🇹🇹 🇲🇲 🇦🇷
buckeyepackfan
11 years ago
I.ve asked this question before, and never seem to get an answer.

Can anyone tell mewhy Ted Thompson cut A.J. Hawk and turned right around and resigned him to his current contract?

According to almost everyone here Hawk has underachieved and is overpaid.

I just want someone to tell me why Ted did wht he did.

He could have jettisoned A.J. Hawk already, I guess the Packer organization has a different view of A.J. Hawk then the fan-base here on Packershome does.
I was addicted to The Hokey Pokey, but I turned myself around!
Zero2Cool
11 years ago

I.ve asked this question before, and never seem to get an answer.

Can anyone tell mewhy Ted Thompson cut A.J. Hawk and turned right around and resigned him to his current contract?

According to almost everyone here Hawk has underachieved and is overpaid.

I just want someone to tell me why Ted did wht he did.

He could have jettisoned A.J. Hawk already, I guess the Packer organization has a different view of A.J. Hawk then the fan-base here on Packershome does.

Originally Posted by: buckeyepackfan 

First of all, it's PackersHome.
Second of all, Ted Thompson is human.

I think A.J. Hawk is exactly what everyone said he was prior to the draft. A player who has a low ceiling, but is a steady player. I think quite a few fans are hell bent on him being a 5th overall pick and expect him to be Demarcaus Ware and anything short of that is BUST. Hawk's been a solid LB, but as his coach has said ... needs to ramp up his game and play on instincts, not think an react.
UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
11 years ago

I think Packers would be better off trying to trade Hawk if anything.

If I am correct, Packers cut Hawk next year and the 4.8 mil signing bonus money(1.6 mill 2013-14-15) will have to go against the cap in 2013 anyway.

Might as well keep him on, Packers are not going to benefit that much from cutting him.

I think you are gonna see these guys re-work their contracts to free up the money needed to sign the players who are going to be FA's next year.

Packers don't sign Greg Jennings to an extension during this year then pretty good odds he will be gone next year.

Somebody will pay him top dollar and The Packers just will not be able to afford him.

J. Finley needs to prove he can stay healthy and have a big year before he can demand top dollar. IMHO this is a wait and see issue.

Originally Posted by: buckeyepackfan 

I dunno, I don't think A.J. Hawk is going to be cut. If Desmond Bishop and D.J. Smith didn't go down with severe injuries, and Brad Jones was adequate, then maybe. That's not the case though.
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
dfosterf (5h) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (12h) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (13h) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (13h) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (17h) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (19h) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (19h) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (19h) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (19h) : Against tbd
dfosterf (19h) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (19h) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (19h) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (19h) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (19h) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (19h) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (20h) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (20h) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (20h) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
beast (25-Mar) : Simply fined in the week to follow
beast (25-Mar) : I agree with one NFL official, it'll probably be like some of the helmets hits, not really called by the refs on the field but simply fined
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Hip drop is not. Super confusing. Referees job is harder
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Swivel hip drop is banned
dfosterf (25-Mar) : The hip drop enforcement will be in the form of fines, etc. Not flags
dfosterf (25-Mar) : A major foul will be enforced on the offense if there are offsetting penalties in a change of possession situation
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Teams will receive a 3rd challenge if 1 was successful. Previously, it took 2
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
5h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

5h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

5h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

12h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17h / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Around The NFL / dhazer

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.