nerdmann
11 years ago

The answer is what it has always been: it depends on how the players are playing.

The basics of Capers 3-4 are not hard to figure out: control the run first, get teams into predictable down-and-distance scenarios (more simply: make them 1 dimensional passing team) and then unleash Blitzburg style defenses.

We really did not do a great job of controlling the run. We did, however, have CM3 coming up huge and a pass-rush early on clicking enough to get the Bears into predictable down-and-distance scenarios. That makes it pretty easy to call a more aggressive defense.

Frankly, I'm surprised at people wanting Capers fired. He is pretty good at what he does. However, if his team cannot actually do the necessary things to play an aggressive style, you're going to see a struggling defense. Which we saw last year.

Even after tonight's performance, I'm concerned about our run D. It still needs to improve if we have any shot against other elite NFC teams. We cannot be giving up 4+ yards a carry and expect solid Defensive performances. I hope that, as the year goes on, Perry and Walden can continue to set good edges against the run, and, most importantly, our D-linemen do their jobs at a high level against the competition. I have some confidence in the former, but am highly suspect about the latter; time will tell.

However, I'm much more concerned with our offense. Benson coming on is a big asset, but for the love of all that is right in this world I cannot figure out why we do not call more short routes and slants to force Safties closer to the LOS. Hell, exploit the middle of the field more with players like Cobb. You've essentially got two TEs that can play as WRs, allowing you to use Cobb's versatility more. I'm not sure what McCarthy is thinking - but I grow more concerned with each quarter that he is counting on the big play to eventually develop and kick start our O. Kind of like a couple of years ago when he was intent on force feeding Finley to the detriment of Jennings. His stubbornness - if what this is an example of - is concerning. Use the variety in your playbook - short completions, slant routes, completions over middle of the field - to force the safties closer, thereby opening up more stuff deep.

Originally Posted by: all_about_da_packers 

I'm starting to worry that Arodge might be pulling a Favre. Always wanting to go deep. Taking the risky throw.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
doddpower
11 years ago

However, I'm much more concerned with our offense. Benson coming on is a big asset, but for the love of all that is right in this world I cannot figure out why we do not call more short routes and slants to force Safties closer to the LOS. Hell, exploit the middle of the field more with players like Cobb. You've essentially got two TEs that can play as WRs, allowing you to use Cobb's versatility more. I'm not sure what McCarthy is thinking - but I grow more concerned with each quarter that he is counting on the big play to eventually develop and kick start our O. Kind of like a couple of years ago when he was intent on force feeding Finley to the detriment of Jennings. His stubbornness - if what this is an example of - is concerning. Use the variety in your playbook - short completions, slant routes, completions over middle of the field - to force the safties closer, thereby opening up more stuff deep.

Originally Posted by: all_about_da_packers 

What makes you so sure McCarthy isn't calling those plays often, but Rodgers is changing the plays or simply making bad reads? I'm starting to think Rodger's has become less patient this season.
Pack93z
11 years ago

I'm starting to worry that Arodge might be pulling a Favre. Always wanting to go deep. Taking the risky throw.

Originally Posted by: nerdmann 

Not I.. Aaron takes shots if they are there. He really has had two bad reads so far this season, he missed Bowman last week on a late athletic drop. Briggs last night.. no freaking idea what he was looking at on that one.

His deep shots last week and this week were there.. some drops and a severely under throw on the Jennings fade last week. Jennings had the over.. Rodgers missed the throw.

Rodgers is human.. last season, he displayed less of that human trait.

He might be slightly less impatient.. but I think part of that is due to drops this season.. even the under routes he throws to they are dropping. Frustration more than impatience IMO.
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
Porforis
11 years ago
Other people have brought up the major problem I have with the shots we're taking downfield... That it's often on third and 1 or 2 around midfield, and then we don't go for it on 4th down. It seems as though McCarthy is more willing to just punt it away this year. Maybe that's because of a lack of confidence that our defense can hold the opposing offense from a shortened field, maybe it's something else. But I really hate punting from the 50, opponent's 45 on 4th and 1 after taking a shot downfield on 3rd, especially since Masthay rarely seems to be able to pin them within the 10. The man's got a monster leg, but the ball always seems to bounce forwards.
Pack93z
11 years ago

Other people have brought up the major problem I have with the shots we're taking downfield... That it's often on third and 1 or 2 around midfield, and then we don't go for it on 4th down. It seems as though McCarthy is more willing to just punt it away this year. Maybe that's because of a lack of confidence that our defense can hold the opposing offense from a shortened field, maybe it's something else. But I really hate punting from the 50, opponent's 45 on 4th and 1 after taking a shot downfield on 3rd, especially since Masthay rarely seems to be able to pin them within the 10. The man's got a monster leg, but the ball always seems to bounce forwards.

Originally Posted by: Porforis 

I think that is a learned behavior.. the last two seasons of inability in short yardage has left it up to the passing game to convert. Defenses hop the short, leaving the over lax.. Rodgers is reading that and taking the shots. They just are not connecting properly.. but that will come.

Normal year.. an offense should be behind a defense. I think we are normal.

"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
zombieslayer
11 years ago

Originally Posted by: nerdmann 

Disagree.

The 3rd and 1 shot that he missed to Jordy against the Niners was the absolute right call. He had 1 on 1 and if that was completed, it would be a TD and everyone would be saying how awesome the call was. He missed the throw.

The deep pass on 2nd and 6 to Jones wasn't a good pass, but Jones still should have caught it and if it was completed, we'd all be saying how good of a call it was. I called that pass in the chat. I said something along the lines of "🇲🇲 should call a TD pass on this play." He did, and it was a good call.

The deep throw to Driver was a TD and it was the right call and it was executed perfectly.

Those were all great calls.
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage
(thanks to Pack93z for the pic)
2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. 🇹🇹 🇲🇲 🇦🇷
Rios39
11 years ago
I think we should stick with man coverage for a while. Last year with all the zone we just seen too many receivers finding the voids. If you look at the teams that give problems to QB's like Brady, Rodgers, Brees ect. It's teams that can play straight man coverage with help deep. I think an adjustment will be made cause those QB's absolutely wreck zone defense if there is no pressure.

I wouldn't can Zone altogether but I'd only use it now and then and not as the base philosophy of the defense. I think we found a combination of DB's that can play and succeed playing man with safeties deep banging down on the receiver late.
blank
play2win
11 years ago

What makes you so sure McCarthy isn't calling those plays often, but Rodgers is changing the plays or simply making bad reads? I'm starting to think Rodger's has become less patient this season.

Originally Posted by: doddpower 

dodddude! I've been thinking that clock they used in preseason might be the culprit. Good to have the internal clock, but holding to that may force throws when others might open up with just a little more patience. Noticed the same thing over the past few outings.
dfosterf
11 years ago

Actually it seems the answer is "it depends on if Jarrett Bush is playing."

Amazing how well the DBs were with that scrub not on the field.

Originally Posted by: tromadz 

zombieslayer
11 years ago

Originally Posted by: dfosterf 

Dang. Here I was excited that I'd see a Foster rant and there's nothing there. 🤔

Where did you go?
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage
(thanks to Pack93z for the pic)
2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. 🇹🇹 🇲🇲 🇦🇷