Zero2Cool
11 years ago
I watched a few minutes of the interview with the SEAL member that wrote a book regarding the day the SEAL team took out Osama Bin Laden. I had this fictitious image of a SEAL that was shattered. I expected all SEAL's to be careless about recognition, cold hearted missionaries and straight to the point.

I just thought these were the best of the best of the best ... untouchable human beings who do things at ease that others couldn't dream of. Mainly, I envisioned them complete professionals with no desire for the dramatic.

You can read some of the comments he said from here - link .

I guess, in short, I just feel this guy is giving our SEAL team a bad name on several different levels.
UserPostedImage
macbob
11 years ago

I guess, in short, I just feel this guy is giving our SEAL team a bad name on several different levels.

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

The SEAL community feels the same way, too. I live about 10 miles from the base the SEALs are stationed at, and they don't want to have anything to do with this guy. They're pretty pissed. They are dis-inviting him from SEAL get-togethers, etc.
UserPostedImage
Wade
  • Wade
  • Veteran Member
11 years ago
I didn't see the full interview (I haven't paid attention to 60 minutes for years), but from the linked article, I'm not sure what's so bad in what he said. How is this a bad reflection on the SEALS?

Okay, maybe the extra shots of the (probably) dead guy could have been overkill. But I wasn't on site so I don't know how much uncertainty the "probably" meant. My belief is that if you're in a position where your job is "kill" (or even "kill or capture"), it's sort of silly for the rest of us to harp on how many bullets you put in the guy you're trying to kill.

And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.
Romans 12:2 (NKJV)
macbob
11 years ago

I didn't see the full interview (I haven't paid attention to 60 minutes for years), but from the linked article, I'm not sure what's so bad in what he said. How is this a bad reflection on the SEALS?

Okay, maybe the extra shots of the (probably) dead guy could have been overkill. But I wasn't on site so I don't know how much uncertainty the "probably" meant. My belief is that if you're in a position where your job is "kill" (or even "kill or capture"), it's sort of silly for the rest of us to harp on how many bullets you put in the guy you're trying to kill.

Originally Posted by: Wade 

One reason the other SEALs are mad is because he's putting the guys on the next raid in danger. Shining any kind of light on ops can get somebody killed the next time around. There's also concern that senior leaders may be reluctant to approve operations if they have to worry that the details on the next secret operation will be published soon after.

There's a good article on some of the outrage, though from a commander/senior leader. I've seen quotes from rank & file SEALs expressing similar sentiments and saying that Bissonnette was not going to be invited to SEAL get togethers anytime soon:

http://www.wbaltv.com/news/national/Scathing-message-sent-to-Navy-SEALs/-/9379440/16477848/-/v459pvz/-/index.html 

Scathing message sent to Navy SEALs

Commander furious over book, discussion of secret work

WASHINGTON (CNN) — The commander of U.S. Navy SEALs has written a scathing message to them, saying he is "disappointed, embarrassed and concerned" that troops are now openly speaking and writing about their secret work.

CNN obtained a copy of the message signed by Rear Adm. Sean Pybus, head of the Naval Special Warfare Command, or NSW, and sent to all 2,500 SEALs and some 5,500 support troops he oversees.

He starts by noting the core value of the community, which is, "We do NOT advertise the nature of our work, NOR do we seek recognition for our actions." The emphasis is the admiral's.

Pybus' message follows a letter from Adm. William McRaven that also is critical of the recent publicity. Although McRaven is a Navy SEAL, he oversees all 65,000 Special Operations Forces from all of the military services. Pybus' message is viewed as much more directed to the SEAL community.

"I am disappointed, embarrassed and concerned," Pybus wrote. "Most of us have always thought that the privilege of working with some of our nation's toughest warriors on challenging missions would be enough to be proud of, with no further compensation or celebrity required. Today, we find former SEALs headlining positions in a presidential campaign; hawking details about a mission against Enemy Number 1; and generally selling other aspects of NSW training and operations. For an elite force that should be humble and disciplined for life, we are certainly not appearing to be so. We owe our chain of command much better than this."

A U.S. military official told CNN that Pybus views the book "No Easy Day," about the SEALs' raid on the Osama bin Laden compound, as "the last straw" after months of seeing former SEALs engage in political and money-making marketing activities that the source said involve things like "hawking SEAL workouts and paintball games to kill al Qaeda."

The military official was not authorized to speak on Pybus' behalf but has direct knowledge of his views.

Pybus' message went on to say, "At risk with irresponsible disclosures is NSW's reputation and security. In Special Operations, trust and reputation are everything. Senior leaders in SOF and the Department of Defense cannot be given reason to doubt NSW's ability to operate successfully and maintain secrecy always."

He also said, "The security of our force and families is also put at risk by the release of sensitive information. Our real or potential adversaries accumulate information about the U.S. military, including NSW, and unauthorized personal forays and activities into the Public Domain that propagate NSW details expose us to unnecessary danger."

Pybus is now expected to begin talking to some of the most senior SEALs about solving the problem.

wbaltv.com wrote:

Even Navy SEALs charitable organizations are distancing themselves from Bissonnette, who had declared he was going to give the majority of the proceeds to charity, one of them the Navy SEALs Foundation. NSF has stated they won't accept any donations from Bissonnette.

http://www.brecorder.com/world/north-america/77674-charity-to-refuse-proceeds-from-us-navy-seals-book-.html 
UserPostedImage
Wade
  • Wade
  • Veteran Member
11 years ago
Ah, okay.

That all makes sense.

(Though I'd rather have one of the SEALs making hay than the politicians taking credit for what they did. But of course a serving officer can't go on record saying he is disgusted by the Commander-in-Chief. After all, we wouldn't need as many of those techniques staying if we had political leadership worth fifty cents.)

But I see where people are coming from now. I'd be pissed too.
And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.
Romans 12:2 (NKJV)
Zero2Cool
11 years ago

Ah, okay.

That all makes sense.

(Though I'd rather have one of the SEALs making hay than the politicians taking credit for what they did. But of course a serving officer can't go on record saying he is disgusted by the Commander-in-Chief. After all, we wouldn't need as many of those techniques staying if we had political leadership worth fifty cents.)

But I see where people are coming from now. I'd be pissed too.

Originally Posted by: Wade 

One of the many things that makes SEALs great is just that very thing, they couldn't careless whom gets the credit. They have a role, a task, a job, a MISSION. That's where it's supposed to end. It's not supposed to end up in a book parading around, look at me.

There's a reason not everyone is nor CAN be a SEAL. This guy is taking some of that confidence in the SEAL team and shooting it down. We're left to believe they are elite and now we see one of them is ... well ... not much better than one of us when it comes to vanity. I find that disappointing.
UserPostedImage
dfosterf
11 years ago
I've worked with SEALS, including team six. Doggies too, the Green Beanies... The Air Force "elite" guys- Amazinging competence amongst them. My life on the line depending on my buddies next to me? Semper fi, no bull. Give me a Marine, please.

The Green Beanies always most impressed me. It was the language skills, but they all bring a great set of competencies to the fight.

Individuals are just that. Good, bad and ugly. The SEALS do not suck, and if you knew how profoundly expensive they were to me and my friends, you would be amazed that I would say so. It's a Marine thing, I reckon, and aside from the flash and bang of public relations and recruitment, 99% of their mission is to support us, the war-fighters in the Naval service. Really. Any bull in that, Nick?
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
11 years ago
sounds like this guy is a real tool. why would anyone want to place other lives in jeopardy just to get his name out there?
UserPostedImage
dfosterf
11 years ago
To be honest, I never read the underlying threads. What do we have? A squid that went "off the post" ?

Ah, heck. Cut him some slack- He was not all that bright going in. He joined the Navy without a Judge's order.

😝

(Apologize in advance for being "militarialistic", DH Packer! -) You commie ass/symapathizer/artiste/cluelesshowtheworldreallyworkspinkoeducatedloudmouthbutIforgiveyoufornowisdomopinionator

lol
Zero2Cool
3 years ago
Quite inspiring video.

UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
dfosterf (4h) : Maybe
Mucky Tundra (4h) : Yes
Zero2Cool (5h) : No.
Mucky Tundra (7h) : End of a Degu-era
dhazer (8h) : Steelers sign Patterson because of new kickoff rule interesting
Zero2Cool (11h) : Former #Packers TE Josiah Deguara is signing a 1-year deal with the Jaguars, per source.
Zero2Cool (12h) : They do not do it for "content sake".
dfosterf (22h) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (27-Mar) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (27-Mar) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Against tbd
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (27-Mar) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (27-Mar) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (27-Mar) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
2m / Around The NFL / JPPT1974

4h / Green Bay Packers Talk / buckeyepackfan

22h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

23h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.