Pack93z
  • Pack93z
  • Select Member Topic Starter
11 years ago
Seriously.. High school to the national stage in a single off season.. and the NFL isn't willing to assist them on the field. Almost laughable.

http://nfl.si.com/2012/09/25/meet-replacement-refs-behind-packers-seahawks-controversy/?eref=sihp 

The NFL has not released any background information for its replacement officials, other than to confirm that they have called football games at some level. But given Monday’s controversial finish in Seattle, more and more people are growing curious as to where the NFL found its temporary fill-in officials.

The following info on the Monday night crew has been cobbled together from various sources …

• Wayne Elliott, head referee: Elliott is the executive secretary for the Austin Football Officials Association, which oversees high school football officiating in the Austin, Texas area. In addition, a realtor, who describes his background as: “I also officiate collegiate, high school, and indoor professional football.”

Elliott’s crew worked the Redskins-Rams game in Week 3, which involved several post-whistle scuffles.

• Derrick Rhone-Dunn, back judge: Rhone-Dunn was the official Monday who raced in after the M.D. Jennings-Golden Tate Hail Mary play and signaled for the clock to stop — usually the first move made before ruling a play like the one in question an interception and a touchback.

Rhone-Dunn has experience in the Arena Football League, as well as in the Big 12. He’s listed as one of the officials for the Jan. 3, 2007 Sugar Bowl between LSU and Notre Dame.

• Lance Easley, side judge: It was Easley who gave the touchdown signal on Monday’s final play, and his call stood through the immediate chaos after, as well as following a replay review. According to the Santa Maria Times, Easley normally officiates “high school and (junior college) games” (both football and basketball) in California’s Central Coast area.

• Tom Keeling, line judge: Keeling has extensive officiating experience within the Big 12 conference, and he officiated the Dec. 19, 2006 Poinsettia Bowl between TCU and Northern Illinois. (It’s likely that Keeling officiated other bowl games along the way — he’s found listed as a game official for Big 12 games dating back at least a decade.) A Tom Keeling also served as head linesman for the 2010 UFL championship game. Again, without the NFL providing background info, we can only assume that’s the same Tom Keeling that called Monday’s game.

• Marc Harrod, umpire: Harrod is a police officer in Corpus Christi, Texas, and appears to run the Twitter feed for the Corpus Christi Chapter of Football Officials, an organization that “provides football officials for High School and Junior High programs.”

• Mike Peek, head linesman: Peek also served as a replacement official during the brief 2001 NFL referee lockout, according to the website FootballZebras.com.

• Richard Simmons, field judge: Chiefs website BobGretz.com reported that Simmons is a Texas high school official, a background that seems to be shared by many on Monday’s crew.

"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
mi_keys
11 years ago
http://www.forbes.com/sites/lancemadden/2012/09/25/lingerie-football-league-we-fired-some-current-nfl-replacement-refs/ 

Lingerie Football League: We Fired Some Current NFL Replacement Refs

If you haven’t heard about the Monday Night Meltdown in the NFL yet, you probably need to get out more. To sumarize: A last-second play was called a touchdown by one referee, and an interception by another referee, causing a half-billion dollars in betting funds to switch hands and an outcry to have the league’s regular officiating crew come back from its well-documented lockout.

But like every big story that has ever happened in the world of sports, the initial cause of disturbance was just the tip of the iceberg. It has come to light that some of the NFL’s replacement referees used to work in the Lingerie Football League, but were let go from the underwear-laden league because of their poor performance. Mitch Mortaza, president and founder of the Lingerie Football League, sent an email to several outlets at 12:49 this morning.

Mortaza’s statement was also posted to the LFL’s official Facebook page:

“Because of the LFL’s perception it is that much more critical for us to hire officiating crews that are competent, not only for the credibility of our game but to keep our athletes safer. Due to several on-field incompetent officiating we chose to part ways with with a couple crews which apparently are now officiating in the NFL. We have a lot of respect for our officials but we felt the officiating was not in line with our expectations.

We have not made public comment to date because we felt it was not our place to do so. However in light of tonight’s event, we felt it was only fair that NFL fans knew the truth as to who are officiating these games”

The statement does not make it clear whether anyone officiating the Packers/Seahawks game Monday night were ever referees for the LFL. Whether the LFL’s statement is accurate or simply a plug for the LFL and a stab at the NFL’s current referee situation, a point has been made.

Though the Lingerie Bowl was first shown on Pay Per View in 2004, the LFL was created in 2009 as a 7-on-7 all-women football league in which the players dress in — you guessed it — lingerie, shoulder and knee pads and helmets. The full-contact sport is televised on international television and on MTV2 in the United States. The league comes to an apex on Super Bowl Sunday, with the Lingerie Bowl being shown on TV a few hours before the NFL’s Super Bowl. It’s often classed as “the other Super Bowl,” along with the Animal Planet’s ever-so-cute Puppy Bowl.

So when the LFL is placed into the same category as the Puppy Bowl, it’s easy to see how football fans would be upset to know that some of their beloved NFL games are being officiated by crews who were let go from the sexier of the two former groups.

Now let’s just hope there aren’t any former Puppy Bowl refs calling games in the NFL either.

If you think high school refs is bad, try refs that were FIRED from the Lingerie Football League. Farce doesn't even begin to describe it.
Born and bred a cheesehead
PackFanWithTwins
11 years ago
I've officiated these games when I was younger. Sign me up.

UserPostedImage
The world needs ditch diggers too Danny!!!
macbob
11 years ago
Some predictions:

When the regular referees get back, they get a standing ovation from the fans. When they throw the first flag against the visitors, they'll be loudly cheered. When they throw the first flag against the home team, they'll be roundly booed.

It'll be a short honeymoon, but everyone will be glad to see them back (even the replacement refs, at this point).

UserPostedImage
Since69
11 years ago
You're right on both counts, macbob. I just hope it happens before any other teams get screwed like we did. I wouldn't even wish that on the Vikings, and I've wished some awful things on the Vikings...
UserPostedImage
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
11 years ago

Some predictions:

When the regular referees get back, they get a standing ovation from the fans. When they throw the first flag against the visitors, they'll be loudly cheered. When they throw the first flag against the home team, they'll be roundly booed.

It'll be a short honeymoon, but everyone will be glad to see them back (even the replacement refs, at this point).

Originally Posted by: macbob 

yep that's how I see it.
UserPostedImage
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
11 years ago

You're right on both counts, macbob. I just hope it happens before any other teams get screwed like we did. I wouldn't even wish that on the Vikings, and I've wished some awful things on the Vikings...

Originally Posted by: Since69 

I don't wish it on the Vikings but there are a handful of Bears fans that have been a real pain today. For most people who have been decent over the past I don't have any ill will. But those jerks ...
UserPostedImage
macbob
11 years ago
I kinda wish they hadn't published the names of the officials. Easley could easily get tons of harrasment from disgruntled bettors or fanatical fans. NFL leadership should be the ones feeling the squeeze from these bad calls.

Not saying I side with the NFLRA--I think they're being greedy after getting paid very nice $$ for working 3-4 hrs/week for 1/3 of the year.

But I blame the NFL for a completely inadequate job of replacing the refs.
UserPostedImage
rabidgopher04
11 years ago

Not saying I side with the NFLRA--I think they're being greedy after getting paid very nice $$ for working 3-4 hrs/week for 1/3 of the year.

They work on average 36 hours per week. They don't just show up for Sunday.

Amazing Bacon Delivery  Service! Never be without good bacon again.
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
11 years ago

I kinda wish they hadn't published the names of the officials. Easley could easily get tons of harrasment from disgruntled bettors or fanatical fans. NFL leadership should be the ones feeling the squeeze from these bad calls.

But I blame the NFL for a completely inadequate job of replacing the refs.

back in 85 some stupid radio station gave out the home phone number for Don Denkinger. He's the ump who blew the call at first base and caused St Louis the World Series.
he was inundated with phone calls all hours of the day and night. His wife was on the receiving end of a lot of abusive threatening calls.
While I was crushed by the call I don't think anyone deserved that kind of treatment.
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
dhazer (29m) : Steelers sign Patterson because of new kickoff rule interesting
Zero2Cool (3h) : Former #Packers TE Josiah Deguara is signing a 1-year deal with the Jaguars, per source.
Zero2Cool (4h) : They do not do it for "content sake".
dfosterf (14h) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (21h) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (22h) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (22h) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Against tbd
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (27-Mar) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (27-Mar) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (27-Mar) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
beast (25-Mar) : Simply fined in the week to follow
beast (25-Mar) : I agree with one NFL official, it'll probably be like some of the helmets hits, not really called by the refs on the field but simply fined
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Hip drop is not. Super confusing. Referees job is harder
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Swivel hip drop is banned
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
14h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

14h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

15h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

21h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Around The NFL / dhazer

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.