Zero2Cool
11 years ago
Packers gave up two turnovers against the Saints. The Graham Harrell fumble and the Aaron Rodgers interception and they still won. You might think this game wasn't pretty, but when you include the turnovers, the blatant miss calls by the referee's, the Packers did something yesterday they haven't done under Mike McCarthy before ... won a game after losing the turnover battle. (I'm basing that off what McCarthy said as my source)

I had to run and hug Tramon because he really saved me. I kind of put us in a bad position there getting that personal foul. But, that’s why it’s also a team game, and my teammates stepped up for me, and I’d do the same thing.

B.J. Raji wrote:

Why is it so difficult to just own up and say "I put us" instead of "I kind of put us" in a bad position? There is no KIND OF about it, you did! This soft sense of accountability is kind of annoying.
UserPostedImage
11 years ago
Ok, so I had to work and missed the game but watched the highlights. I found a d/l of the game though so I'm going to watch it tonight. Anything "nice" and/or outside the obvious I should be watching out for?

I agree with Twinkiegorilla.

bozz_2006 wrote:

Pack93z
11 years ago

Zone is a bad system to play against elite qbs.

Originally Posted by: Rios39 

I would modify that statement.. a zone defense behind a weak pass rush is vulnerable and a elite QB is going to find the soft spots in the zones. The Packers issues in zone were exposed to a greater emphasis because we were not effective up front in the pass rush. The Saints line deserves the credit there.. they were stoning most of it physically. Matthews and others on more than one occasion were getting man handled.

A zone defense can be very effective if properly run with good disciplined and communication.

We are lacking one or the other at times in this defense.. this can be seen, for example, when Williams right before the snap calls out a change in the coverage, however completely missed and leaving a guy coming across the middle all alone.

There were many times, to me, that guys were out of position leaving gaping holes in the short zones. Whose fault is hard to tell because we don't know the coverage responsibilities, but that can't happen and expect success.

My opinion, is Capers, when facing a team with good tight end talent shifts to zone to try and protect the backers from ending up in singled up coverage. In the second half they adjusted out of it some and played a blend. Even then, we seen guys dragging the middle and finding success.. so it was not all scheme. The Saints have the talent to move the ball.. they did.

Another factor I think is Capers and company wanted to see how the game was going to be called in terms of contact down field.. to me, there was still a good amount of contact being allowed. It will be interesting to see how other crews call it.. and how the Packers react.

Summary from pre-game comments in another thread, the offense will hit is stride because of the enforcement of the rules.. and the defense will revert. We are a man team on defense.. that is what we do and do well. Especially with young players sprinkled in at Safety.. yes even Morgan is still young, I think zone might be a work in process during the regular season, but they need to employ it and work on it, because come playoff time, it may be needed. That is of course if we make the Playoffs.
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
play2win
11 years ago

Fact - every time Dom Capers calls the 3-man rush, an angel falls down from Heaven.

Originally Posted by: zombieslayer 

Awesome!!! Well done.

On that note, I lost my voice in that game last night. We were 18 rows up from the corner of the end zone where the officials failed to throw a flag for offensive PI on the Colston TD in the 1st Quarter. Screamed boo as loud and as long as humanly possible, along with everyone else in the stands, and from there, it was on.

Those officials sucked, entirely. Piss poor calls through the entire game. Tripplet has called some really bad games for us historically. Yesterday was no different.

When the third try on the NO FG went wide left, it was a thing of beauty. Providence, the Green Bay Packers and the football gods won.
play2win
11 years ago

Ok, so I had to work and missed the game but watched the highlights. I found a d/l of the game though so I'm going to watch it tonight. Anything "nice" and/or outside the obvious I should be watching out for?

Originally Posted by: TwinkieGorilla 

You know what Twinkie, check out Benson's runs. He is so, so very close to busting some wide open. He could have easily went over 100 yds if he had. Also, look at the Jordy reception they overruled on replay. Unbelievable. Might want to check their DL for holding, cuz none of the officials did...

Somehow, we still won. What a battle. Like we were fighting both NO and the NFL Officials. Two on one and we still beat them.

Enjoy.
Yerko
11 years ago

The problem once again, was on the OFFENSE.

Originally Posted by: nerdmann 

Philbin's absence?

It's a relief that the Packers came out on top here. So many things went against them to make me not believe they were going to win this one.

- Another blatant OPI missed in the endzone. I know its not called a lot, but C'MON MAN!
- Blown review (great challenge) on the 3rd down catch by Graham.
- Rodgers getting poked in the eye.
-leading to an immediate fumble by Harrell.
-led to a scoring drive for the Saints, right? (its all a blur)
- Blown call on the kick return fumble.

Odds were slowly stacking against the Packers, but they prevailed.

Positives
-James Jones had an AMAZING game and that is nice to see after the mistake(s) made in the Bears game.
-Randall Cobb continues to show versatility on the offense. Loved that little halfback screen play.
-Jermichael Finley actually caught multiple passes.
-Cedric Benson continues to do work.
-We didn't field the Bears offensive line this game.
-Another ballsy special teams call!

Negatives
-Play calling on defense.
Can't count how many times the Packers had the Saints in 3rd and (longer than 5) and the Saints converted on it. I think at one point in the game it was mentioned that Drew Brees had completed 9 of 13 3rd down conversions. That is just totally unacceptable. There is a reason you had the Saints at 3rd and long and then you rush three and play a soft zone. I just don't get it...

Enjoy this win fellas!
UserPostedImage
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
11 years ago
wish I could have seen more of the game. had a minor family emergency coupled with the need to take my mother into my sister's place for a few days.

Turned the game on with a few minutes left until half.

I did get to see a little more than half of the game but what I did see was in a living room full of people who were only partially paying attention. Makes it more difficult to follow the intricacies of the game.

Then had to leave with about 5 minutes to go.
UserPostedImage
Cheesey
11 years ago
Finley and James Jones were GREAT in this game. With all the "hating" on them, they deserve props when they perform like this.

Oh....and the defense, as was stated i believe by G-Force, gave up WAY too many 3rd and long completions. Holding a team on 1st and 2nd down doesn't matter much if you constantly let them off the hook.
UserPostedImage
Wade
  • Wade
  • Veteran Member
11 years ago

Fuck that zone. We are Wisconsinites. Any Minnesota resident will be more than happy to tell you that we can't handle complicated shit. Hat on a hat. Fuck zone.

Originally Posted by: dfosterf 

Especially when it's accompanied by 3 hats on 5 hats.

I hate the GD 3-man rush.

And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.
Romans 12:2 (NKJV)
Rios39
11 years ago

Finley and James Jones were GREAT in this game. With all the "hating" on them, they deserve props when they perform like this.

Oh....and the defense, as was stated i believe by G-Force, gave up WAY too many 3rd and long completions. Holding a team on 1st and 2nd down doesn't matter much if you constantly let them off the hook.

Originally Posted by: Cheesey 

It seemed like they played more aggressive on 1st and 2nd down and less aggressive on third down. Any problems I've seen on D this year have been either play calling or miscommunications in zone base.
blank
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (6h) : Chase Young to sign $13M contract with Saints
Zero2Cool (6h) : Yosh to Panthers what noooo. Wait he didn't do crap
wpr (18-Mar) : I say that he is technically HER BIL as he married her sister. I checked it out, he's considered my BIL as well. Sad.
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : wpr, I assume its your BIL via marriage to your wife? If so, I can figure out where the smarts in the family went ;)
wpr (18-Mar) : Mucky my B-I-L is Bare Stupid. I could write a book.
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : As a teenager in Rockford IL I would get heckled by adults in public for wearing GB gear
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : if you think the online ones are bad, try *living amongst* them
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : Never doubt wprs loyalty. Poor guy is surrounded by Bears fans in Northern IL
wpr (17-Mar) : pass Martha. Thanks for the invite though.
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : blog * as the same ugly Illinois colors were adopted by the Baer
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : WPR, perhaps you should be joining the Bears fans blog has the same ugly Illinois colors were adopted by the Bears
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : Ah a fellow U of Illinois hater. I can respect that though I imagine it's for different reasons
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : BTW. I didn't catch the game. I just hate Illinois.
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : They're your Big Ten Chumps and you will like it!
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : No, not for the record. Referee's handled that BS. Orange team was trash ass
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : *Your* Big Ten Chumps for the record
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : No, not Big Ten Champs. IL is big ten CHUMPS
wpr (17-Mar) : Big Ten Champs
wpr (17-Mar) : !!!
wpr (17-Mar) : INI
wpr (17-Mar) : ILL
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : Wisconsin with an outstanding on in the men’s Big Ten basketball tournament. Let’s hope it continues in the NCAAs
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : Almost like taking QB in 2020 even if you don't need one is good move.
Mucky Tundra (16-Mar) : 2021 QB Draft class looking like a real clunker
Mucky Tundra (16-Mar) : A conditional 6th rounder? I remember Bears fans arguing they'd get a day 2 pick at worst lol
dfosterf (16-Mar) : So I got the no extension part right and the have to wait on the CW physical wrong
Zero2Cool (16-Mar) : Bears are trading Justin Fields for a 2025 6th-round pick that goes to a 4th-round pick based on playtime, per sources.
Zero2Cool (16-Mar) : Former Packer Jarrett Bush opens Wisconsin’s first blow dry bar in Green Bay
dfosterf (16-Mar) : If the Bears are not doing a deal with Washington, they also cannot trade Fields until Williams physical with them. All hail Caleb Williams!
dfosterf (16-Mar) : The talent is undeniable, but the (advertised) haul is obscene.
dfosterf (16-Mar) : If the Bears are cutting a deal with the Commanders, in either scenario, cannot happen until williams passes a Commanders physical
dfosterf (16-Mar) : My guess is no to the Fields extension, but yes to the trade back with the Commanders.
dhazer (15-Mar) : I think the Bears do a Love extension and they will trade out of the 1st pick and take the haul
Martha Careful (15-Mar) : that might make sense
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Justin Fields to Steelers?
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Kenny Pickett. Eagles. Done.
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : They can claim best two WR tandem.
Mucky Tundra (15-Mar) : Aaron Donald retiring
dhazer (15-Mar) : Campbell signing with 49ers
dhazer (15-Mar) : I love how the Bear Fans are now claiming they have the best skill players in the NFC North lol
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Vikings made a move to get a 2nd first round pick
Mucky Tundra (15-Mar) : That's a not a bad deal for the Bears
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Bears have traded for WR Keenan Allen sending Chargers a fourth rounder.
Martha Careful (15-Mar) : *signs
Martha Careful (14-Mar) : MLB Devon White science with the Eagles
Mucky Tundra (14-Mar) : But that was before FA started
Mucky Tundra (14-Mar) : Dhaze, I thought Kurls would be their #1 target when I read that he was an Amos comp (jack of all trades guy)
dhazer (14-Mar) : I would like to see the Packers target 2 more FA still available Kamren Curl Safety and Chase Young edge
Martha Careful (14-Mar) : wow...didn't see that coming
Zero2Cool (14-Mar) : AJ Dillon re-signing with Packers.
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
2h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

12h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

18-Mar / Around The NFL / Mucky Tundra

16-Mar / Random Babble / Martha Careful

16-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / TheKanataThrilla

15-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dhazer

15-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

14-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

14-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

14-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

13-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.