wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member Topic Starter
11 years ago
I hit a deer tonight while driving down a gravel road. He came out of a corn field and was heading for the trees across the road. He was on me so fast I couldn't even put on my brakes. I am glad I was only going about 45 at the time.
UserPostedImage
Formo
11 years ago
I hate deer. The past few weeks we've been traveling a lot to the Iron Range of MN (where my family is) and have grown VERY accustomed to looking out for and avoiding deer. I can't even give a decent estimate on how many I've seen the past 2 weeks except it was over 100. Had to stop/slam my brakes about 10+ times in the past 2 weeks to avoid them/wait for them to make their move. They are stupid creatures and when they dart infront of your car, they often tend to turn around and go back, almost hitting the car. Again.

I literally hate deer more than any other animal.
UserPostedImage
Thanks to TheViking88 for the sig!!
vikesrule
11 years ago
Hopefully you weren't hurt Wayne.

And you are correct about the deer and their intelligence level, Formo.

One might even say that deer are the Packers fans of the animal kingdom....[grin1]
Pack93z
11 years ago
Here is north Central Wisconsin, it is almost a norm to avoid deer, raccoons and turkeys, at points daily. And the deer haven't even it rut yet.

Wayne, you get a hold of your insurance agent okay? [grin1]

Seriously, echo VR's sentiment that you were not hurt.
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
Zero2Cool
11 years ago
A dear hit me while driving back from visiting dad several weeks ago. Before knowing if there was any damage, my sister of course says "did he run away okay?" ... I said something about hoping the fucker has a massive concussion! I was extremely lucky, no damage except a little mark where his antler hit my door. He hit me pretty hard too so yeah very lucky no damage and that I had a break away mirror on the door.

Hope everyone is okay from your run in with a deer.
UserPostedImage
wpr
  • wpr
11 years ago

Here is north Central Wisconsin, it is almost a norm to avoid deer, raccoons and turkeys, at points daily. And the deer haven't even it rut yet.

Wayne, you get a hold of your insurance agent okay? [grin1]

Seriously, echo VR's sentiment that you were not hurt.

Originally Posted by: Pack93z 

yep it coulda been bad. He was leaping. Deer off the ground + car going at a high speed + deer coming through windshield into your lap.

I wasn't going fast enough so be bounced off and kept running.
UserPostedImage
wpr
  • wpr
11 years ago

A dear hit me while driving back from visiting dad several weeks ago. Before knowing if there was any damage, my sister of course says "did he run away okay?" ... I said something about hoping the fucker has a massive concussion! I was extremely lucky, no damage except a little mark where his antler hit my door. He hit me pretty hard too so yeah very lucky no damage and that I had a break away mirror on the door.

Hope everyone is okay from your run in with a deer.

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

A few months ago I heard the deer hit my car. Could not find any damage.

I have seen antlers sticking though the car door. Another time they were embedded int he radiator. I had one jumping over a bank (dirt not the money kind.) and land on a customers roof.

My favorite deer encounter was not a deer car accident. I was driving down the road about 10 Am. A huge buck was standing in my lane on the road. I don't know antler counts but it was gigantic. Let's say 10-12 point buck. I slowed down. He didn't move. This was a State Highway. He started walking towards me. We were right in the middle of rutting season. I assume his eyesight wasn't the best. After about 3 or 4 paces he realized I was not another deer so he turned and walked off the road to the empty field. There was a fence. Most deer when they are getting away from humans run. They jump the fence and take off. He just walked. This was his turf and no one was scaring him off. He simply decided to see if there was food laying out in the field. He barley lifted his front legs over the fence and without any effort at all brought the back ones over too.

It almost seemed as if his cojones were any bigger he would have gotten a nice scratch on his way over the fence.

When he got to the other side he still didn't run away. He walked the fence line in the same direction I was heading. I didn't take off right away I slowly kept pace with him. 2 reasons. He could have easily cleared the fence and been back in front of me. 2 He was magnificent. We went along for about 500 feet or so before he got tired of me and headed out to the far side of the field and the tress that were there.
UserPostedImage
Wade
  • Wade
  • Veteran Member
11 years ago
They do make good food though.

Venison summer sausage -- yum.

Venison tenderloin, cut into 2" thick medallions, marinated in balsamic vinegar and a strawberry/fig glaze, grilled rare/mediium rare and served with a Malbec reduction -- double yum.

Deer are proof that man was made to be a carnivore.

[grin1]
And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.
Romans 12:2 (NKJV)
Porforis
11 years ago
I'm glad you didn't get hurt, I've only been in one major car crash (close to head on with impact to my drivers side, me going 40 the other guy 10) and it officially put an end to my young, resilient back/neck. Hitting a deer beats hitting a car in most cases but I've heard enough stories of deer going through windshields to say that I'm glad you were fortunate (besides the whole hitting a deer part)
MontanaBob
11 years ago
Man, glad you weren't hurt. My wife brushed one two years ago on her way home late at night and all we found on the car was some fur in the front left fender. She said it jumped over the hood, left some DNA on the fender, and was off into the night.

I had a Moose try to battle my pick-up last November. He thought I was an intruder into his harem and was going to show who's boss Moose here. Hey, Bullwinkle, I'm only trying to find some downed beetle killed Lodgepole Pine for my fire pit, and your having a shitfit about it. When I looked across the road, way back in the boonies, there were three cow Moose looking at me like..."Boy Mister, are you in a world of hurt now."

Still have two bing dings in the rear left panel of my truck.
Anyone for a Weenie Roast?