Zero2Cool
11 years ago

GREEN BAY – Twenty years and one day after he forever changed the Green Bay Packers’ quarterbacking fortunes in dramatic fashion, could Brett Favre be inching closer to a reconciliation with the team he came to embody?

Speaking on Monday Night Football play-by-play man Mike Tirico’s podcast on ESPN.com, the ex-Packers – and ex-New York Jets and ex-Minnesota Vikings – quarterback sounded a bit more open to mending fences with the organization than he did several weeks ago during an NFL Network interview with Deion Sanders taped over the summer.

When Tirico opened the podcast Friday morning by asking Favre if he knew what 20th anniversary Thursday had been, Favre admitted that he wouldn’t have known it had been that long since he went in against the Cincinnati Bengals and rallied the Packers to a 24-23 victory after Don Majkowski suffered an ankle injury on Sept. 20, 1992.

“I couldn’t believe it was 20 years,” Favre told Tirico. “It seems like yesterday. You can’t remember where you put your keys or your glasses … but there’s certain events that you remember as if it were yesterday, and that’s one of them.

“That paved the way for a lot of good things to come.”

Perhaps the good times Favre and the Packers enjoyed together will feel that way again, given that he spoke wistfully of seeing the Lombardi Era players and likened his relationship with the Packers to a grudge where “You just kind of get over it.” Four years after an acrimonious split culminated in his August 2008 trade to the Jets, Favre's comments sounded extremely encouraging compared to things he's said in the past.

When Tirico asked Favre, “Do you see the day that you go back and get your number retired and there’s a big group hug again?” Favre chuckled. He maintained that he hasn’t thought about the possibility but said he expects it will come.

“I’m sure that day’s going to happen, but I haven’t thought a whole lot of about it,” said Favre, who’s now working as the offensive coordinator at Oak Grove High School in Hattiesburg, Miss. “The Packers have had great success since I left, not surprised by that. (They have a) great group of talented players there led by Aaron (Rodgers), of course. That organization is really apart from (the rest), maybe the Yankees I guess, just in tradition and history. I’m so thankful that I was part of it.

“I know that day (will come). How that will unfold, I have no idea when that will happen. I don’t think their side is thinking about it. They’re trying to figure out how to get back to the Super Bowl, and really I’ve got my plate full. I think that’s good for both sides, not that we don’t need to shake hands and move on. I think in some ways that has happened, but you know, I do see the day, it’s going to happen. When? I have no idea.

“I don’t think it’s as big a deal as people make it out to be because I think both sides have moved on. I’ve got nothing but respect for that organization and the guys who play there. There’s a lot of new faces there. But as you bring back those memories, I think about those great days and great moments of my career and the thing that keeps ringing over and over is how quickly it goes by. You have to enjoy it.

“I made a lot of mistakes over my career, but I can honestly say, I enjoyed the moment. And that, I’m proud of.”

Tirico then asked Favre if when he watches the Packers on Monday Night Football – “in your Wranglers, of course – if he roots for or against the Packers or if he’s indifferent.

“Indifferent, I guess,” Favre replied. “I can’t help but feel a sense of being a part of that and it’s funny, before you called, or actually a couple days ago when you asked if I would do this, at different times I was thinking about my career there … I can remember the old guys coming back, great players – Bart Starr, Paul Hornung, Jerry Kramer, Fuzzy Thurston, Ray Nitschke, Willie Wood, I can just go on and on.

“All these are coming back, being an honorary captain, alumni day, whatever, and just thinking … Because I was always a history buff. I knew a lot about the Packers but I could not tell you where Green Bay was before I was traded. I knew it was up north. But all these old players, I knew. And so when they would come back, it wasn’t just being polite, I just had a lot of respect for what they had done and how they had paved the way.

“You look at Lambeau Field and where that place has gone and how it’s evolved, I can’t help but feel a sense of being a part of that. And so, even though it’s a shame the way things went down between I and the Packers, as time goes by, you just kind of, it’s kind of like a grudge, you just kind of get over it.”

Jason Wilde  wrote:

UserPostedImage
Pack93z
11 years ago
Wake me when they actually sit down and talk.. hash it out and schedule the gig.

Loved the guy and how he played the game, but really all I want his for him to gain his rightful place in the ring and have him as part of the Packers fraternity again.

All careers rise and eventually pass.. it is how you handle the later that most struggle with. Brent happened to pour gasoline upon the process.. and light it with a blowtorch. A couple of grenades for good measure.

And the Packers.. they brought a cooler yet longer burning brand of fuel to the party.

A cocktail that scorched many a Packer fan on either side.. most have healed, some are still red. But it is time to let it go.

Glad to hear Brett voice the same tune.
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
PackerTraxx
11 years ago
Great article, thanks for posting. It is time to forgive and forget and move on. It'll be great to see Brett and some of the 90's SB players come back with some of Lombardi's players. As a young player that would have to be awesome to see that kind of tradition and with those players - great for the fans also.
Why is Jerry Kramer not in the Hall of Fame?
dfosterf
11 years ago
Fuck Favre. You welcome him back. I don't like how he rolled. Get back to me in ten years.

DakotaT
11 years ago
The retirement of his jersey is inevitable as he is one of the greatest Packers, if not the greatest Packer. I really don't care when it happens, but I think it can wait a while.
UserPostedImage
wrolly
11 years ago
Favre is a Packer...no matter what he did elsewhere. Montana is always a 49er, but he didn't make it obvious that he wanted to kick the shit out of his old team. Favre just always had that attitude...is a nice guy, but an asshole too. Trust me...seen him at plenty of bars back in the day in Green Bay. Picking up chicks with Winters. Just who he is, but always a Packer.
blank
Blitz
11 years ago
UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage
"... There.. is.. your.. dagger..!! "
nyrpack
11 years ago
i hope he comes back to where he belongs soon !!
jimmy b.
Akexpat
11 years ago

Fuck Favre. You welcome him back. I don't like how he rolled. Get back to me in ten years.

Originally Posted by: dfosterf 

amen, for me I could do it in less than 10 years if he owned up what he did to the fans. I dont know what went on with him and management nor do I pretend to. All I know he was an ass by giving a big FU to all the Packers fan out there was just disrespectful and he should own up to it.

oh and maybe officially turning his steak house into a waffle house as a monument to his off-season wait game would be nice too.
You will find Packers fans all across the world
Pack93z
11 years ago

Originally Posted by: dfosterf 

What is the difference between now and 10 years? Like Brett is going to say sorry? Or Ted/Mike is going to admit any fault?

Plus Rodgers will have amassed more Lombardi's by then.. that will only install more rawness to Brett's chapped ass with that news. And he will probably cock off at least once about it soon.

To me.. do it, resolve it and move on. Honor him for what he did over the course of his career in Green Bay, he helped spear the turnaround that still resides today.

"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (8h) : Chase Young to sign $13M contract with Saints
Zero2Cool (8h) : Yosh to Panthers what noooo. Wait he didn't do crap
wpr (18-Mar) : I say that he is technically HER BIL as he married her sister. I checked it out, he's considered my BIL as well. Sad.
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : wpr, I assume its your BIL via marriage to your wife? If so, I can figure out where the smarts in the family went ;)
wpr (18-Mar) : Mucky my B-I-L is Bare Stupid. I could write a book.
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : As a teenager in Rockford IL I would get heckled by adults in public for wearing GB gear
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : if you think the online ones are bad, try *living amongst* them
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : Never doubt wprs loyalty. Poor guy is surrounded by Bears fans in Northern IL
wpr (17-Mar) : pass Martha. Thanks for the invite though.
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : blog * as the same ugly Illinois colors were adopted by the Baer
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : WPR, perhaps you should be joining the Bears fans blog has the same ugly Illinois colors were adopted by the Bears
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : Ah a fellow U of Illinois hater. I can respect that though I imagine it's for different reasons
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : BTW. I didn't catch the game. I just hate Illinois.
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : They're your Big Ten Chumps and you will like it!
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : No, not for the record. Referee's handled that BS. Orange team was trash ass
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : *Your* Big Ten Chumps for the record
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : No, not Big Ten Champs. IL is big ten CHUMPS
wpr (17-Mar) : Big Ten Champs
wpr (17-Mar) : !!!
wpr (17-Mar) : INI
wpr (17-Mar) : ILL
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : Wisconsin with an outstanding on in the men’s Big Ten basketball tournament. Let’s hope it continues in the NCAAs
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : Almost like taking QB in 2020 even if you don't need one is good move.
Mucky Tundra (16-Mar) : 2021 QB Draft class looking like a real clunker
Mucky Tundra (16-Mar) : A conditional 6th rounder? I remember Bears fans arguing they'd get a day 2 pick at worst lol
dfosterf (16-Mar) : So I got the no extension part right and the have to wait on the CW physical wrong
Zero2Cool (16-Mar) : Bears are trading Justin Fields for a 2025 6th-round pick that goes to a 4th-round pick based on playtime, per sources.
Zero2Cool (16-Mar) : Former Packer Jarrett Bush opens Wisconsin’s first blow dry bar in Green Bay
dfosterf (16-Mar) : If the Bears are not doing a deal with Washington, they also cannot trade Fields until Williams physical with them. All hail Caleb Williams!
dfosterf (16-Mar) : The talent is undeniable, but the (advertised) haul is obscene.
dfosterf (16-Mar) : If the Bears are cutting a deal with the Commanders, in either scenario, cannot happen until williams passes a Commanders physical
dfosterf (16-Mar) : My guess is no to the Fields extension, but yes to the trade back with the Commanders.
dhazer (15-Mar) : I think the Bears do a Love extension and they will trade out of the 1st pick and take the haul
Martha Careful (15-Mar) : that might make sense
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Justin Fields to Steelers?
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Kenny Pickett. Eagles. Done.
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : They can claim best two WR tandem.
Mucky Tundra (15-Mar) : Aaron Donald retiring
dhazer (15-Mar) : Campbell signing with 49ers
dhazer (15-Mar) : I love how the Bear Fans are now claiming they have the best skill players in the NFC North lol
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Vikings made a move to get a 2nd first round pick
Mucky Tundra (15-Mar) : That's a not a bad deal for the Bears
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Bears have traded for WR Keenan Allen sending Chargers a fourth rounder.
Martha Careful (15-Mar) : *signs
Martha Careful (14-Mar) : MLB Devon White science with the Eagles
Mucky Tundra (14-Mar) : But that was before FA started
Mucky Tundra (14-Mar) : Dhaze, I thought Kurls would be their #1 target when I read that he was an Amos comp (jack of all trades guy)
dhazer (14-Mar) : I would like to see the Packers target 2 more FA still available Kamren Curl Safety and Chase Young edge
Martha Careful (14-Mar) : wow...didn't see that coming
Zero2Cool (14-Mar) : AJ Dillon re-signing with Packers.
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
5h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

13h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

14h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

18-Mar / Around The NFL / Mucky Tundra

16-Mar / Random Babble / Martha Careful

16-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / TheKanataThrilla

15-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dhazer

15-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

14-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

14-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

14-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

13-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.