zombieslayer
11 years ago
Yeah, he doesn't force it as much as he has in the past to Finley, but I still see him forcing it.

If anything now, I think the biggest problem with Aaron is he needs to GET RID OF THE DAMN BALL!!!

(Sorry for screaming. It was directed at 🇦🇷, not you)
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage
(thanks to Pack93z for the pic)
2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. 🇹🇹 🇲🇲 🇦🇷
Gaycandybacon
11 years ago

Yeah, he doesn't force it as much as he has in the past to Finley, but I still see him forcing it.

If anything now, I think the biggest problem with Aaron is he needs to GET RID OF THE DAMN BALL!!!

(Sorry for screaming. It was directed at 🇦🇷, not you)

Originally Posted by: zombieslayer 

hehe sometimes he does make the o-line look bad.....[puke]
Rios39
11 years ago

Go back and look at what Drops he has had. Yes some of them like the one in SF that was in his gut going to the ground should have been caught. But look at some of the others.

1 against Chicago, he was being held through his break and the ball gets to him right after? If the defender is holding him, he is not open and the ball should never have been thrown there. Unless Rodgers was trying for a flag instead of a completion. Pretty tough to call it a drop. And if it was not an attempt to get a flag, and Finley was the best option while being held, what does that say about the rest of the receivers being open?

Another against Chicago, he was on a full out dive. Was a tough throw and an extemely tough catch.

last week, Rodgers hits Finley on his hip, when Finley is running away from him. Terrible place to throw the ball, the defender was trailing, so a Pick was possible with that throw, and the position, made Finley twist and reach back and down to make the catch. If the ball it thrown out in front where it should be, Finley probably doesn't drop it.

Finley has only had a couple, BAD drops. The others would be great catches if he had managed.

As for his comments, if you want to take what he says as a negative, you will. It is just as easily to take them as a positive. JMike knows he needs better communication with Rodgers. He constantly says, I need to work on that, and I need to spend the time talking with him.

Originally Posted by: PackFanWithTwins 

You're spot on. It's always puzzled me why Finley gets the tougher throws to catch than any other receiver. Seems like he's always having to catch balls in traffic or going to the ground, in double coverage or a tough back shoulder play.

I agree with him though. Him and Rodgers don't have the same chemistry as like James Jones or Jordy Nelson but some of these throws a bit ridiculous to expect to be hauled in. If Rodgers threw the ball to him while he's open I'm sure he'd catch more. I find Rodgers over looks him on quick passing plays where he's wide open over the middle and shoots the ball down the field but when Rodgers is indecisive he'll force one into Finley while he's surrounded by a ton of defenders.

blank
doddpower
11 years ago

You're spot on. It's always puzzled me why Finley gets the tougher throws to catch than any other receiver. Seems like he's always having to catch balls in traffic or going to the ground, in double coverage or a tough back shoulder play.

I agree with him though. Him and Rodgers don't have the same chemistry as like James Jones or Jordy Nelson but some of these throws a bit ridiculous to expect to be hauled in. If Rodgers threw the ball to him while he's open I'm sure he'd catch more. I find Rodgers over looks him on quick passing plays where he's wide open over the middle and shoots the ball down the field but when Rodgers is indecisive he'll force one into Finley while he's surrounded by a ton of defenders.

Originally Posted by: Rios39 

This is a true, but a big tight end such as Finley is going to be asked to make the difficult catches. That's what truly makes a guy like him such a match up nightmare: even when they are covered, they still make catches. Tight ends by nature are going to be making a lot of catches in traffic, many in the middle of the field. It's not a situation unique to Finley, it's just the position he plays. Yes, many of the catches he's asked to make are extremely difficult. The difference between a good to great player and an average player is that the good to great player will often make those almost impossible catches.

Honestly, I almost think Rodgers has too much confidence in the guy. If he's not consistently making the tough catches, stop asking him to do so and perhaps looks elsewhere, unless he's relatively open.
Rios39
11 years ago

This is a true, but a big tight end such as Finley is going to be asked to make the difficult catches. That's what truly makes a guy like him such a match up nightmare: even when they are covered, they still make catches. Tight ends by nature are going to be making a lot of catches in traffic, many in the middle of the field. It's not a situation unique to Finley, it's just the position he plays. Yes, many of the catches he's asked to make are extremely difficult. The difference between a good to great player and an average player is that the good to great player will often make those almost impossible catches.

Honestly, I almost think Rodgers has too much confidence in the guy. If he's not consistently making the tough catches, stop asking him to do so and perhaps looks elsewhere, unless he's relatively open.

Originally Posted by: doddpower 

What makes me want to keep him is how he was in 2009 and when he played in 2010. His hands were like glue back then, I don't know how he could fall so far off. You can see the frustration in his body motions after a drop.

It's not an excuse but rodgers throws a really, really hard flat fastball which is difficult to catch. I like the throws but I believe its part of the reason we have so many drops. A guy like Brees will drop a pass in lobbed in perfect placement Rodgers can deliver same placement but he fires it in like a missle. Has it's pros and cons.

Remember Driver back in 2008 saying Favre throws the ball with more touch when needed and that Rodgers will develop that, but it's still there. Last playoff in the miss TD opening drive he had jennings wide open but threw a hard fastball over his head. Jennings was wide open, if he lobbed it just a bit jennings could run under and catch it even if it was under or over thrown. In the same game he had Finley over the middle, EASY pitch and catch but I think Finley ran a 5 step slant and not a 3. He threw the ball absolutely as hard as he could and missed finley, if he took some off that'd be an easy completion, it also brings no room for error when you're firing the ball 100 MPH all the time
blank
zombieslayer
11 years ago

What makes me want to keep him is how he was in 2009 and when he played in 2010. His hands were like glue back then, I don't know how he could fall so far off. You can see the frustration in his body motions after a drop.

It's not an excuse but rodgers throws a really, really hard flat fastball which is difficult to catch. I like the throws but I believe its part of the reason we have so many drops. A guy like Brees will drop a pass in lobbed in perfect placement Rodgers can deliver same placement but he fires it in like a missle. Has it's pros and cons.

Remember Driver back in 2008 saying Favre throws the ball with more touch when needed and that Rodgers will develop that, but it's still there. Last playoff in the miss TD opening drive he had jennings wide open but threw a hard fastball over his head. Jennings was wide open, if he lobbed it just a bit jennings could run under and catch it even if it was under or over thrown. In the same game he had Finley over the middle, EASY pitch and catch but I think Finley ran a 5 step slant and not a 3. He threw the ball absolutely as hard as he could and missed finley, if he took some off that'd be an easy completion, it also brings no room for error when you're firing the ball 100 MPH all the time

That's one of my criticisms of Aaron. Favre had both his fastball and his touch pass. Aaron just has the fastball.

My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
11 years ago

That's one of my criticisms of Aaron. Favre had both his fastball and his touch pass. Aaron just has the fastball.

Originally Posted by: zombieslayer 

This is said tongue in cheek, right? Aaron Rodgers has a much better deep ball than Brett Favre ever did, but Favre had the stronger arm in his prime. Granted, when Favre got nailed, he'd settle down and had some pretty nice touch on his passes lol.

Edit, nevermind. You're talking about something different. You're saying Favre knew when to lay off the rocketball on a 10 yard pass, where Aaron just rifles it in there. That is something that Favre learned later in his career too. And yes Aaron does need to learn to do that.
UserPostedImage
Rios39
11 years ago
Yes favre fixed it fairly quick cause he was making some of those throws in the sb years. His deep ball was a lot more lobbed up where as Rodgers is more flat hard and accurate
blank
Gaycandybacon
11 years ago

Yes favre fixed it fairly quick cause he was making some of those throws in the sb years. His deep ball was a lot more lobbed up where as Rodgers is more flat hard and accurate

That sounded very sexual the first time I read that[down]
zombieslayer
11 years ago

This is said tongue in cheek, right? Aaron Rodgers has a much better deep ball than Brett Favre ever did, but Favre had the stronger arm in his prime. Granted, when Favre got nailed, he'd settle down and had some pretty nice touch on his passes lol.

Edit, nevermind. You're talking about something different. You're saying Favre knew when to lay off the rocketball on a 10 yard pass, where Aaron just rifles it in there. That is something that Favre learned later in his career too. And yes Aaron does need to learn to do that.

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

Yes, what you said in the edit.

And for the record, Favre's long ball was underrated. Remember 2007? Favre had more completed long balls than Brady did, and Brady had Randy Moss in Moss's best year ever (including 1998).

You may be right about Favre learning to lay it off later in his career, but my memory sucks. I remember his later years better than his early years.

So I hope Aaron learns to lay off a little.
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage