dfosterf
15 years ago
As stated previously many times by myself and other posters, I cannot stand the ZBS and it's results as it pertains to the Green Bay Packers. My intent on this thread and others is to examine and discuss zone blocking.

Zone blocking is touted as being simple and effective. I submit it was never simple, and I will delve into why it has been called simple in a later thread. As to effective, there are so many variables at work on any given ZBS play that are so interdependent upon one another that the effectiveness is easily undermined by the failure of any one of many attempting to execute it, and the physicality of those making the attempt at the NFL level.

Coordination and technique matter more (ostensibly--I argue this point) than muscle in implementing a successful scheme. This is probably the primary tenet of the advantage of utilizing the ZBS.

This first thread is not to argue about the pros and cons of the entire ZBS, but rather to start dissecting one piece of it, hopefully enlightening some that are unfamiliar with that piece of it, and discussing it. It would appear that we have many months for an examination.

The first and foremost concept in the ZBS is "covered" vs. "uncovered".

Each individual lineman identifies whether he has a defensive player in front of him. If he does, he is "covered". If not, he is "uncovered". If the latter is the case, he is asked to help playside on a doubleteam, then reacts to the movement of the defensive linemen as well as the movement of the linebacker. He does this with wide lateral steps and what are called "bucket" steps. The initial movement of these doubleteams is supposed to equalize defensive talent and create cutback lanes. Note strongly the term cutback lane. ZBS is not designed to create a hole for the runningback to run through.

Covered VS. Uncovered Explained:

[youtube]ST1koVGt50I[/youtube]

I would prefer that any discussion look towards what has been presented in this post. Not that I am trying to control the discussion for any agenda, but rather I would like to attempt to delve deeply into the subject at hand, which means multiple threads on the ZBS.

I see many pitfalls with the "covered" vs. "uncovered" scheme, and would welcome discussion in that arena.

Failing that, I'm willing to talk and/or argue about anything, f#ck it, I'm retired. :thumbleft:
15 years ago
I think you should include a comparison scheme and what the OL's responsibilities are!
UserPostedImage
warhawk
15 years ago
I think some of our problems with consistancyin the ZBS is Mike McCarthy will tend to get away from the run at times and teams that are prolific with this system just keep pounding away. They, like us, don't always get results early on in games but keep pounding the rock until it starts to work.

We won't do that.

I am certainly against the system if that's what it takes to be successful because we are more than likely going to win many more games throwing the ball with our personnel than using some of the best WR's in the game to run block.

I am starting to think the ZBS requires an "all in" mentality to work and with the number of points this offense scores I think making that committment would be a mistake.
We ask Donald Driver and Greg Jennings to run block 35 times a game and I think we lose more games than if we were getting them the ball.
"The train is leaving the station."
dfosterf
15 years ago
Bucket step definition: first step of an offensive lineman or back in which he steps at about 4 oclock or 7 oclock; purpose is to begin moving toward the sideline; backward angle is to clear away from an adjacent player in the case of a lineman or for timing purposes in the case of a back, same as kick step if you ever see that term.
brnt247
15 years ago
I really don't see a problem with our running game. If there's something that we specifically don't need to fix, in my opinion it's that. Our lineman have been effective at run blocking since the Indy game and we've faced some prime time run stopping d's.
blank
bozz_2006
15 years ago
note: bucket step = backward step. the scheme is all about flow. not the flow of the offense, but rather the flow of the defense. it's intended to get the defense all moving one direction (left or right), then having the RB quickly change direction. this puts the defense in the position of having give chase, negating any advantageous angles they have secured. this works best against gang tackle teams such as Chicago, Baltimore, Tampa, Oakland, Indy, Dallas, and/or San Diego. These teams rely on speed, to reach the corner before the back. By cutting back, you punish them for the speed, and expose their aggression as an over-pursuit.

in theory, it's great. i love zone blocking. i think the problem arises in the generally accepted philosophy that prototypical zone blocking o-linemen are quick and agile, and not as strong as power blocking o-linemen. Quick and agile, yes. They need to be able to mover laterally. but an o lineman does NOT have to be fast. an o-lineman does not have to be fast. they have to be powerful enough to move the other dude. plain and simple. what a lineman can not do, is get put on their heels. it doesn't matter how fast you are, if you get pushed back, you have failed your run-block assignment. i mean, there is a reason we don't have guys like greg jennings and donald driver blocking on the o-line. they just can't get the job done. and neither can our o-line. their goal is to get the defense flowing and over-pursuing to a corner, then allowing the runner to cut back. but flow doesn't matter if the defensive player over-powers the offensive player, gets into the backfield, and interrupts our RB. the reason Ryan Grant always seems to be bumping into the butts of our offensive linemen is because the linemen are not supposed to be in the backfield! They are consistently over-powered. we don't need a steam-roller offensive line; but they need to be powerful enough to not get blown up every play.
UserPostedImage
brnt247
15 years ago
I know I am beating a dead horse, but of all things this team needs to fix in order to be a contender, why try and fix the running game? Maybe because of Grants success last season we are holding him up to such a high standard.
blank
dfosterf
15 years ago

I know I am beating a dead horse, but of all things this team needs to fix in order to be a contender, why try and fix the running game? Maybe because of Grants success last season we are holding him up to such a high standard.

"brnt247" wrote:

Please read part 5 . You have a very legitimate point of view. See what you think of mine in answer to your question over there.
Fan Shout
dfosterf (7h) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (14h) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (15h) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (16h) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (19h) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (21h) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (21h) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (21h) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (21h) : Against tbd
dfosterf (21h) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (22h) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (22h) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (22h) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (22h) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (22h) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (22h) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (22h) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (23h) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
beast (25-Mar) : Simply fined in the week to follow
beast (25-Mar) : I agree with one NFL official, it'll probably be like some of the helmets hits, not really called by the refs on the field but simply fined
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Hip drop is not. Super confusing. Referees job is harder
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Swivel hip drop is banned
dfosterf (25-Mar) : The hip drop enforcement will be in the form of fines, etc. Not flags
dfosterf (25-Mar) : A major foul will be enforced on the offense if there are offsetting penalties in a change of possession situation
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Teams will receive a 3rd challenge if 1 was successful. Previously, it took 2
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
8h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

8h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

8h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

15h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

20h / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Around The NFL / dhazer

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.