Discussion Board
bozz_2006
2008-12-10T21:08:38Z
"Rockmolder" wrote:

With all the criticism going on atm, he'll nearly be forced to sign someone.

If he doesn't sign at least one free agent this off-season, he'll have a crapload of people over him, and I can't see him wanting to go through that after the whole Favre saga.

What I would see him do though, is signing some crappy OT for 1 mil a year, who sits on the bench most of the time, to somewhat please the fans.

I basically agree with you Rock. I think Ted will basically be forced into signing an A-list free agent. He got crap about it last year, but we won a lot of games, so he got off the hook. He got crap about it in the preseason this year, but because of last year, he was given a bit of a reprieve. Now, because of our record this year, regardless of injuries and the fact that we have one of the toughest schedules in the league this year, that reprieve has been rescinded. Ted almost has to make a splash this year. Time to do a canonball into the free agent pool Ted, for better or worse.
warhawk
2008-12-10T21:50:52Z
I believe it is the time to give greater consideration to get the FA talent to put us over the top. IMO we needed this influx of good young talent and build the kind of depth a team needs to compete for sixteen games and then the playoffs.

We are obviously competitive and can stay with teams but are lacking what we need to get over the hump. A consistent pass rush and OL blocking.

I think there will be pressure on Thompson to produce and not rely soley on the draft and building from within to get where we need to be. The good news is I don't think we need a boat load of players to do this.

If Ted concentrates on even one good OL and one good DL I think we have enough talent with the injured guys coming back to turn these close losses into "W's".

The dropoff in production on defense in sacks and pressures from last year is the single most glaring deficiency on an otherwise pretty solid football team.

I think Ted is smart enough to know we are close and if we were getting after the QB this year would have turned out totally different.
Packnic
2008-12-10T22:00:15Z
whose to say that Ted Thompson wasnt planning on going into Free Agency this year anyway. Whos to say that even if we were 13-0 right now, Ted wouldn't be picking his free agents out right now?

We had to right the ship. It was headed for a massive iceberg. Ted purged the awful roster, got a great base started though the draft and now has a very talented yet underachieving roster. What this did, was change the course of the ship away from that Iceberg. A lot of people wanted to just go full steam ahead and try to bust through the iceberg. Ted slowed the ship, corrected the course and we have completely missed that iceberg. Who's to say he isn't planning on going full steam now?
Ted Thompson haters tend to be so short sighted, I'm glad we have someone with the vision and the balls to fix things no matter what people say.
bozz_2006
2008-12-10T22:02:46Z
dhazer
2008-12-11T03:15:33Z
Hey defoster i hope you weren't calling me a Favre sniffer i'm a die hard Ted Thompson hater lol. And this year Ted Thompson has screwed himself. If he don't do anything in Free Agency you Ted Thompson lovers will be pissed, and if he does make a splash in FA then he will just prove the Favre lovers right and that Ted Thompson has an ego and wanted Brett out of GB. The reason behind that is Brett offering to take the money out of his contract to sign Moss and Ted Thompson wouldn't do it. Another big thing you will see from your favorite set of balls to sniff is he will blow another top 8 pick this year hell i won't be surprised to see him trade it for 2 2nd rounders lol.

TT= Matt Millen neither are good gms but get alot of free passes. Maybe Ted Thompson will draft another mediocre wr with our 1st pick like he did last year.

You know i respect your posts SOD im having a little fun with you because well thats just me lol.

BTW i'm working on season ticket holders on the Steeler game next year so maybe we can show these Steeler fans how to really Tailgate.
millertime
2008-12-11T03:21:33Z
I still think we're better than the Vikings. We got f-cked over big time in that game. Sadly, they will take our playoff spot... and lose in the first round.
dfosterf
2008-12-11T03:31:31Z
"dhazer" wrote:

Hey defoster i hope you weren't calling me a Favre sniffer i'm a die hard Ted Thompson hater lol. And this year Ted Thompson has screwed himself. If he don't do anything in Free Agency you Ted Thompson lovers will be pissed, and if he does make a splash in FA then he will just prove the Favre lovers right and that Ted Thompson has an ego and wanted Brett out of GB. The reason behind that is Brett offering to take the money out of his contract to sign Moss and Ted Thompson wouldn't do it. Another big thing you will see from your favorite set of balls to sniff is he will blow another top 8 pick this year hell i won't be surprised to see him trade it for 2 2nd rounders lol.

Ted Thompson= Matt Millen neither are good gms but get alot of free passes. Maybe Ted Thompson will draft another mediocre wr with our 1st pick like he did last year.

You know I love ya D-- Here's your Christmas present. The history of Brett.

Excuse 0 meter 

Brett and friends tell Santa what they need 

Brett takes 'em Hostage 

Brett reflects on his retirement  

John Madden's temporary fling 

You know i respect your posts SOD im having a little fun with you because well thats just me lol.

You're just fine, DHazer--- I enjoy your sense of humor.

BTW i'm working on season ticket holders on the Steeler game next year so maybe we can show these Steeler fans how to really Tailgate.

Allright Dave... SIT BACK, relax, laugh with me as I watch these cartoons.
dhazer
2008-12-11T04:57:10Z
Gotta love the guys at bang cartoons, i laugh my ass off at them
2008-12-11T20:00:07Z
"dhazer" wrote:

Ted Thompson= Matt Millen neither are good gms but get alot of free passes. Maybe Ted Thompson will draft another mediocre wr with our 1st pick like he did last year.

That's downright hilarious, man. Do you talk to actual football fans very often? I was in a draft chat with dozens of hardcore fans from across the league and there was nothing but praise for the pick. Nelson has contributed as a rookie on a team with great #1/#2 WR's. Chicago Bears fans were IRATE that we took him.

You're free to have your opinion. I'll stick with mine, which has been steady since before he was named Executive of the Year by his peers.
Zero2Cool
2008-12-11T22:17:38Z
"dhazer" wrote:

When was Millen even mentioned for GM of the year nomination let alone, WIN it among his PEERS?

Sure, dislike Ted cuz he traded your whiny lover to the Jets, but to say he's the same as Millen solidifies how foul and (sorry for this but) lame your views really are.

We didn't have a 1st round pick last year, we traded it and our first pick in the 2nd round was Jordy Nelson who has done a decent job this year.

That's the only line i read which I quoted so hopefully the rest of that post indicates you weren't being serious. If you were though, please spare us and please do the following.

Hit your Windows Key + R
Type CMD, hit enter
Type ipconfig /release *Con* and hit enter.
bozz_2006
2008-12-11T22:20:07Z
what does that do? computer self destruct?
brnt247
2008-12-11T22:31:57Z
Immediately makes you not have idiotic views.
dhazer
2008-12-12T06:04:44Z
The reference between Ted Thompson and millen were that they both draft players that we don't need, did we really need another don beebe with our first pick of the draft? We had a very strong wr corp last year but yet take another wr with the first pick of the draft. Let me guess we will draft another one this year but not one of the big name players just some mediocre wr.

Millen drafted how many wrs with his 1st picks thus the reference.
Zero2Cool
2008-12-12T06:06:56Z
"dhazer" wrote:

The reference between Ted Thompson and millen were that they both draft players that we don't need, did we really need another don beebe with our first pick of the draft? We had a very strong wr corp last year but yet take another wr with the first pick of the draft. Let me guess we will draft another one this year but not one of the big name players just some mediocre wr.

Jennings turned out to be SOOO mediocre for us. Jones bombed big time. Nelson hasn't caught a TD or a pass for a first down at all this year! What a WASTE of picks. I mean, they can't possibly be contributors to our offense being as successful as they have been... right? I mean averaging over 25 points a game is solely on the defense!!!
dhazer
2008-12-12T06:37:06Z
"Zero2Cool" wrote:

"dhazer" wrote:

Jennings turned out to be SOOO mediocre for us. Jones bombed big time. Nelson hasn't caught a TD or a pass for a first down at all this year! What a WASTE of picks. I mean, they can't possibly be contributors to our offense being as successful as they have been... right? I mean averaging over 25 points a game is solely on the defense!!!

Are you just that damn blind i didnt say a damn thing about Jennings, I said we had a strong wr corp last year and Ted Thompson goes after an average wr with our first pick this year did we need him no. As far as your Jones comment thats a joke the guy cant catch a damn ball when he can stay healthy.
Nonstopdrivel
2008-12-12T06:57:23Z
Hey, dhazer, I'm not a Moderator on this forum, but as a moderator on other online forums, I can tell you that it's probably not a good idea to be rude to the OWNER of the site. You might want to consider, ah, moderating (yes, pun intended) your tone when addressing our generous benefactor.
brnt247
2008-12-12T07:28:13Z
"dhazer" wrote:

"Zero2Cool" wrote:

"dhazer" wrote:

Are you just that damn blind i didnt say a damn thing about Jennings, I said we had a strong wr corp last year and Ted Thompson goes after an average wr with our first pick this year did we need him no. As far as your Jones comment thats a joke the guy cant catch a damn ball when he can stay healthy.

Ever begin to think that teams don't draft for their needs that season? That is what you usually address in free agency or via trade. Drafting Nelson was for the future. When Driver is older and Martin is gone. Jones, Nelson, and Jennings would be the 3 main receivers then. We didn't need him right now, but he has an impact on the future of this franchise. Plus, he was likely on Thompson's list as the best available player at the time.