Dexter_Sinister
11 years ago

Oh you're dead on, it is huge, but "if" its valid ... is where my question comes from. I mean, if they were trying to injure people, wouldn't others have noticed? Wouldn't they get votes as dirty players?

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

Next vote.

That is the nature of opinion polls. I would rather listen to smart people.

If you listen to opinion polls there are going to be as many stupid opinions canceling out the smart ones. Leaving behind the most mediocre opinion.

The masses are are pretty susceptible to hype.
I want to go out like my Grandpa did. Peacefully in his sleep.
Not screaming in terror like his passengers.
Zero2Cool
11 years ago

Next vote.

That is the nature of opinion polls. I would rather listen to smart people.

If you listen to opinion polls there are going to be as many stupid opinions canceling out the smart ones. Leaving behind the most mediocre opinion.

The masses are are pretty susceptible to hype.

Originally Posted by: Dexter_Sinister 

This adds to the point I'm making. If the Saints were going out of their way to try an injure players, others would have noticed. I don't care about tomorrows polls, I asked about polls prior to the suspensions. If the Saints players were trying to hurt players, other players would have noticed. Why wasn't this reflected in the polls?

Every game is on tape, do they have video evidence of a player deliberately trying to injure someone? If so, how do you determine the intent? A player on the field will know when someone is trying to end their career or knock them out of the game.

From what I've read, this seems to be more of a since you hit this player and he was knocked out, here's $500.

The 'give me my money' comment I find interesting.
UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
11 years ago
I thought this was an interesting statement.

Was there a bounty system, or was it a pay-for-performance process that paid players a little extra to do that which they already were paid to do — apply hard, clean, legal hits in a manner that makes an opponent unavailable to return to the game.

Mike Florio wrote:

I would define them as follows.

A bounty system would be defined as putting money on the table for players to 'earn' if they injured a player.
A pay-for-performance system would be defined as cleanly hitting a player and getting cash because of it.

This is splitting hairs here. I interpret a bounty as trying to injure a player by any means necessary, where the pay-for-performance is more so a player getting an extra chunk of case BECAUSE a player he hit legally was unable to finish the game. It's mean in nature, but the concept isn't much different than the Packers WR pay-for-performance deal with the dropped balls.
UserPostedImage
Dexter_Sinister
11 years ago

I thought this was an interesting statement.

I would define them as follows.

A bounty system would be defined as putting money on the table for players to 'earn' if they injured a player.
A pay-for-performance system would be defined as cleanly hitting a player and getting cash because of it.

This is splitting hairs here. I interpret a bounty as trying to injure a player by any means necessary, where the pay-for-performance is more so a player getting an extra chunk of case BECAUSE a player he hit legally was unable to finish the game. It's mean in nature, but the concept isn't much different than the Packers WR pay-for-performance deal with the dropped balls.

If you can collect without actually injuring the player you made the play against, it is performance.

If you only collect when you injure a player and the money goes up the more severe the injury, you are mob enforcer. Not an athlete.
I want to go out like my Grandpa did. Peacefully in his sleep.
Not screaming in terror like his passengers.
dhazer
11 years ago
Charles Martin on Jim Mcmahon = Bounty
Warren Sapp on Clifton = Bounty

LT on Joe Theisman = Pay for performance
Jack Tatum on Stingley = Pay for Performance

All 4 plays caused serious injury but total different plays, so yes splitting hairs, but also a major difference in plays
Just Imagine this for the next 6-9 years. What a ride it will be 🙂 (PS, Zero should charge for this)
UserPostedImage
Cheesey
11 years ago
I think ALL teams try to "put a hurt" on the other teams offense. The mental part of a game is very important. If you can get a guy to fear you, you are one up on him.
Look at how "gun shy" Favre was near the end of his career. He was "hearing footsteps" all the time, and it affected his performance.
The only difference was, the Saints were STUPID enough to make it verbally known that they were actually trying to take guys out of the game.
I'm 100% against trying to purposely hurt other players. That's upsportsmanship at it's worst. And in pro sports, you could end a guy's career and take away his livelyhood all in one second.
I'm not against hard hits, as it's FOOTBALL after all, a contact sport. Injury is part of the consequences if you get into that line of work. But trying to hurt a guy on purpose? That's assalt in my opinion.
UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
11 years ago

Uh-oh

"In the 1996 playoffs, Hall of Fame Packers defensive end Reggie White made a deal with his teammates: Make a big hit, and I’ll give you $500."

UserPostedImage
gbguy20
11 years ago

Uh-oh

"In the 1996 playoffs, Hall of Fame Packers defensive end Reggie White made a deal with his teammates: Make a big hit, and I’ll give you $500."

<3 the minister of defense
Cheesey
11 years ago

Uh-oh

I wonder if Goodell will try to suspend Reggie now.
I'm sure he will at least fine him.[sarcasm]
UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
11 years ago
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
Martha Careful (1h) : Congratulations
Zero2Cool (7h) : Boom. Student Loan. $0.00. Only took about 20 years.
Zero2Cool (14-Apr) : Packers DT Kenny Clark: New defensive coordinator Jeff Hafley will 'allow us to be way more disruptive'
Zero2Cool (12-Apr) : Saints have agreed to terms on a contract with former Packers wide receiver Equanimeous St. Brown.
beast (12-Apr) : No, but of it's for legislation, then half of the country will find it evil, not good, whatever it says....
Mucky Tundra (12-Apr) : Draft is still 2 weeks away. UGH
dhazer (11-Apr) : Does anyone know of a good AI generator to create letters of Support for legislation?
Zero2Cool (11-Apr) : Gordon "Red" Batty retires as equipment manager
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Sounds like that's pretty certain now.
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Packers "at" Eagles in Brazil. Week One
dfosterf (10-Apr) : Va' Fazer As Malas Va' !
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Mark Murphy tipping us off?
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : “We’re either the first- or second-most popular team in Brazil.”
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Christian Watson got married. Wife better be careful with those hamstrings!! 😂😂
dfosterf (9-Apr) : Those poor bastards
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Falcons have signed former Packers CB Kevin King, who has been out of football since 2021.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Collectively, we need to spend more time in what we have, when analyzing ostendible needs and historical proclivities
dfosterf (8-Apr) : I say he is better than so many of these draft picks
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Question of the week for me: Has anyone besides me done any deep dive into the potential of Alex McGough, our 3rd string qb?
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Or in Tunsil's case, something gets released day of draft or day before lol
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Seems every year someone does something pre-draft.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Falling down drunk. The draft board
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Allright! Potential character guy/f#×k up pickup in D'Vondre Sweat!
Zero2Cool (7-Apr) : Go Badgers!!!
Martha Careful (6-Apr) : Go Boilermakers!!!
Martha Careful (5-Apr) : Diggs has not stepped up in the playoffs and has a high cost
beast (5-Apr) : Probably not going to let Diggs walk away unless he's horrible... but according to reports he also might not be as good as he used to be.
beast (5-Apr) : The 25th pick in the draft has been an offensive player since 2017, 2 TE, 2 WR, 1 RB, 1 OC
Mucky Tundra (5-Apr) : Odd, why give up a 2025 2nd Rounder for him if you're just gonna let him walk?
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : Texans to let Diggs be free agent in '25
buckeyepackfan (4-Apr) : 49r's aign RB Patrick Taylor.
Martha Careful (4-Apr) : Reversion to the mean would indicate we will keep it
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : It's also been utilized in a trade in 14 of the past 20 years
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : The 25th pick in the draft hasn't been made by it's original holder since 2016.
Mucky Tundra (4-Apr) : Gotta imagine that Green Bay vs Houston will be a primetime game this upcoming season
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : No. Kill QB. No worries. 😁
Mucky Tundra (3-Apr) : Diggs, Collins, Dell and Schultz is gonna be tough to cover
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : Stefon Diggs' trade will not be processed as a post-June 1 designation, so that is just over $31 million in dead cap this year.
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : Bills trading WR Stefon Diggs to the Texans in exchange for a 2025 2nd-round pick. (via @rapsheet)
beast (3-Apr) : Using Patterson as RB and RB/WR tweener... so I think they also signed Patterson as a 3rd down RB, not just a kick returner as articles are
beast (3-Apr) : I think PFT missed the real Steelers/Patterson connection, Steelers new OC Arthur Smith has been Patterson's head coach the last 3 years
wpr (2-Apr) : It has Martha. I was stunned when I was in HS to learn Iowa was still playing half court BB in the 70's.
Martha Careful (2-Apr) : Caitlin Clark, Angel Reese...women's sports has come a long way. GREAT TO SEE!!
Martha Careful (31-Mar) : Happy Easter everyone. I hope you all have a great day.
dfosterf (28-Mar) : Maybe
Mucky Tundra (28-Mar) : Yes
Zero2Cool (28-Mar) : No.
Mucky Tundra (28-Mar) : End of a Degu-era
dhazer (28-Mar) : Steelers sign Patterson because of new kickoff rule interesting
Zero2Cool (28-Mar) : Former #Packers TE Josiah Deguara is signing a 1-year deal with the Jaguars, per source.
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
1h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

14h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

21h / Random Babble / Martha Careful

15-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

15-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

12-Apr / Random Babble / Nonstopdrivel

12-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

11-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

10-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

8-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

5-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

5-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

4-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

4-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / buckeyepackfan

4-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.