Porforis
11 years ago

It is not that her vote does not count. It is because so many people live in Cook County and the other large cities that it makes her feel like her vote doesn't count.

Here are a couple of maps that illustrate it. (I did not use the 2008 election map since many people across the state voted for Obama as they feel he was the "local Illinois guy".

For some reason this website decided to use blue for Bush and red for Kerry instead of the tradition red for Republican and blue for Democrat. 2004 

When looking at it on a county by county basis you can see the vast majority of the state voted for Bush. The breakdown in each county was probably about 55-60% for Bush and the balance to Kerry. the same holds true for the other downstate counties that went to Kerry. When you get into Chicago (Cook County) it was 70% for Kerry. So one county more or less decided how the whole state was going to go. the overall state vote was 55% Kerry and 44% Bush. (Rounding and Libertarian votes make up the last 1%)

UserPostedImage

The same thing happened 4 years earlier in 2000 . Gore won a few more counties but Chicago dictated how the state as a whole was going to go.

UserPostedImage

I know it happens in other states as well. Typically the votes in a few metro counties in California direct what is going to happen for the whole state. Metro NYC is stronger than Upstate New York. South Florida to some degree politically controls all the rest of the state. And so on in other states as well.

If there was to be a change in the manner of voting instead of it going completely to a popular vote. I would like to see something like Nebraska and Maine have. Break down the electoral votes based on Congressional districts. That way one candidate doesn't win the entire state. And the candidates can not focus the whole campaign in just a handful of swings states.

Originally Posted by: wpr 

In that case, I would think that voting third party would be LESS of a waste than voting Republican if you're not thrilled with the Republican candidate but really not thrilled with the Democratic candidate. You know that whoever you vote for is not going to win in your state, so the whole "Lesser of two evils" thing goes away. Why not vote on ideals?
QCHuskerFan
11 years ago

i live in IL & i know my vote means squat!!
chicago has the power to negate all downstate voters. ugh.

Originally Posted by: 4PackGirl 

Post of the Year!!!! And where is Obama from? Chicago. What has Obama done in his life? Nothing. He's been a politician. His life has revolved around sex. Screwing one voter at a time. He started with those of us downstate.

Romney is like a rebound fling. He may not be great, but he's better than the ex-wife!

But neither of these 2 will accomplish anything of substance. America needs to make cuts. If you personally fall behind in your finances, you cut things; cable, eating out, etc. Washington can't make cuts because it offends blocks of voters. When your priority is winning elections instead of leading, nothing will happen.

Medicare was designed when life expectancy was 20 years less than it is now. So why shouldn't it be adjusted for reality? Because it would cost someone votes.

How many of us have taken a pay cut in the last 5 years? So why can't all federal employees?

In a time when our country is struggling economically, why does the Government produce Obamacare? Because it will help wrap up some voters. Who cares if it it is wrong? Let the next guy deal with it.

Sorry for the rant. Long week.
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
11 years ago

Post of the Year!!!! And where is Obama from? Chicago.

Originally Posted by: QCHuskerFan 

Kenya! [grin1]
Hawaii.
Not Illinois. Not Chicago. That was just the bus stop before heading someplace else.

If Jack Ryan had not tried to take Seven of Nine to sleaze joints and screw her in public He probably would have won and most of America would never had heard of Obama.

UserPostedImage
PackFanWithTwins
11 years ago

As with everyone else, you're thinking short-term. So, Romney wins over Obama and you admit that Romney's not your choice so I'm guessing you're not thrilled with him. The Democrats will play ball with Romney about as much as the Republicans played ball with Obama, and the Democrats played ball with Bush. Little gets accomplished, our tax code remains a complete disaster with a tweak here or there, more small-scale military conflict, more mediocre economic recovery. People need to take a stand at some point or our candidates are just going to get worse and worse.

Originally Posted by: Porforis 

I am all for sending a message to our elected officials. Just not by throwing away my presidential vote. And its not short term thinking, it is hopeful thinking. I am certain that Obama is wrong for the country. I am certain we cannot tax our way out of the deficit or debt. But the office of the president is to important to throw away or vote for somebody who doesn't stand a chance. If we let Obama stay in office, we are telling him he is doing ok. He isn't, and that alone is enough to not deserve a 2nd term.

Personally I don't think taxes should be raised or lowered at this point. Not until we as a country really go through our budget and cut spending to a bare minimum and determine where and what we are actually spending on. Many things can be moved to the private sector and off tax payer dime. TSA for example, 8 billion dollars, there is no reason private security cannot fill that role. 911 was not the fault of the people working security, it was just the policies. But they freaked and went overboard. Privatize them again, and not only do you move that 8 billion off the government budget, but you remove the future burden of those government worker retirements.

Herman Cain was on the right track when he said bills should be limited to 3 pages. While that may not be possible the concept is correct. We don't need 2000 page bills that not even one person knows everything in them. They need to be simple. Look at Obamacare. If it is a good idea to insure our young adults until they are 26, you right that as a bill, submit it, debate it, vote and implement. And move on to the next bill. The reason things take so long is because each bill has 200 different things on and each piece gets debated and edited before being voted on in one house, and then the same in the other house and then needs to be reconciled. Things would not only get done quicker and more efficiently, but there would be no question on where a politician stands on the issues. They couldn't blame somebody for being anit-military, because they voted a bill down because of the crap that was added into the bill.

We can send a message, through our state governments and Congress. Vote any incumbent out, make sure that each seat is not only contested by the opposite party, but by a 3rd party and the incumbents own party. We vote enough 3rd party politicians into congress, and they have no choice but to work together.
The world needs ditch diggers too Danny!!!
Cheesey
11 years ago
I should be Bob's VP.
After all, once he's assassinated, i become the PRESIDENT!
(I'd just have to make sure my shot would hit the mark!)[grin1]

You know, i KNEW once i posted, it would open up the "can of worms".

Here's the way i see it......if Obama was the answer, he'd be running on his record of the last 4 years. But he can't, because even he knows how lousy it was. So it's the same old same old "attack the so-called RICH people!" That's ALWAYS the democrat's attack. Just look back over every presidential campaign in recent memory, and it's the SAME gargage regurgiatated. "Bush was for rich people! Romney's for rich people! They are ganging up against the middle class!" Tell me......what's happened to the middle class the last 4 years? We've been SCREWED.
Obama should run on his drastic lowering of unemployment!....uh....wait.....he CAN'T, cause it hasn't happened. Saying it's better then it was a year ago is like saying "only 10 million people drowned, instead of 11 million." Yeah, it might be a little better, but is it REALLY improved? Fact is, millions of Americans have given up on finding jobs, so they are no longer listed as "unemployed". They are just LOST. They don't have jobs, they have given up HOPE! (There's that WORD again)
So then, Obama should run on how he lowered the national debt from 10 trillion to 16 trillion....uh......nevermind.
He had 4 years to prove to me and everyone else that he's the guy for the job. I was hoping he wasn't full of it. I would have LOVED to see him turn the country around. But instead he's just pushed the gas pedal down harder and not turned the car around from the cliff ahead.
Do we really want to end up like Greece?
That's where we are headed right now.
Will Romney be the answer? I don't know. But he can't be any worse then what we have seen the last 4 years.
UserPostedImage
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
11 years ago

I should be Bob's VP.
After all, once he's assassinated, i become the PRESIDENT!
(I'd just have to make sure my shot would hit the mark!)[grin1]

Originally Posted by: Cheesey 

assassin squirrels.

UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
Wade
  • Wade
  • Veteran Member
11 years ago

good. I get worn out by all the he said, she said, they said rhetoric.

I have never seen anyone change their position based on internet discussions.

Originally Posted by: wpr 

Of course. I haven't been shown to be wrong yet, after all.

[ass]

And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.
Romans 12:2 (NKJV)
Wade
  • Wade
  • Veteran Member
11 years ago

Can you explain why you feel your vote matters less than say, a citizen of Chicago? I'm genuinely curious, a lot of people seem to feel that if their vote doesn't go to the winning candidate it's worth less. I don't agree with that, but I've never heard someone explain why they feel that way.

Originally Posted by: Porforis 

I thought she was just referring to the fact that Chicago defined vote corruption.

More cemeteries with the franchise than any three states, or something like that.

[grin1]

And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.
Wade
  • Wade
  • Veteran Member
11 years ago

I am all for sending a message to our elected officials. Just not by throwing away my presidential vote. And its not short term thinking, it is hopeful thinking. I am certain that Obama is wrong for the country. I am certain we cannot tax our way out of the deficit or debt. But the office of the president is to important to throw away or vote for somebody who doesn't stand a chance. If we let Obama stay in office, we are telling him he is doing ok. He isn't, and that alone is enough to not deserve a 2nd term.

Personally I don't think taxes should be raised or lowered at this point. Not until we as a country really go through our budget and cut spending to a bare minimum and determine where and what we are actually spending on. Many things can be moved to the private sector and off tax payer dime. TSA for example, 8 billion dollars, there is no reason private security cannot fill that role. 911 was not the fault of the people working security, it was just the policies. But they freaked and went overboard. Privatize them again, and not only do you move that 8 billion off the government budget, but you remove the future burden of those government worker retirements.

Herman Cain was on the right track when he said bills should be limited to 3 pages. While that may not be possible the concept is correct. We don't need 2000 page bills that not even one person knows everything in them. They need to be simple. Look at Obamacare. If it is a good idea to insure our young adults until they are 26, you right that as a bill, submit it, debate it, vote and implement. And move on to the next bill. The reason things take so long is because each bill has 200 different things on and each piece gets debated and edited before being voted on in one house, and then the same in the other house and then needs to be reconciled. Things would not only get done quicker and more efficiently, but there would be no question on where a politician stands on the issues. They couldn't blame somebody for being anit-military, because they voted a bill down because of the crap that was added into the bill.

We can send a message, through our state governments and Congress. Vote any incumbent out, make sure that each seat is not only contested by the opposite party, but by a 3rd party and the incumbents own party. We vote enough 3rd party politicians into congress, and they have no choice but to work together.

Originally Posted by: PackFanWithTwins 

Ah, but exactly where lies the evidence for hope? Seriously.

Why should the Demolicans and Repubocrats get any better if we're always going to consider anything but voting for them in the big elections?

IMO your great confidence in the American political system is severely misplaced.

The Big Two have no more incentive to improve the quality of their product than one of the Kardashian sisters have to be a woman worthy of attention. And they won't until a big enough part of the electorate says, "A pox on both of you."

yooperfan
11 years ago

voting third party here! let's rock this nation & make a change people!!

Originally Posted by: 4PackGirl 

Hear,Hear!!