Pack93z
  • Pack93z
  • Select Member Topic Starter
15 years ago
There is a fellow poster among us that has ties to this very school.. nice to see them continuing the roll.

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/statecolleges/36025624.html 

Joe Parish can proudly say he knew Jace Rindahl back when.

The UW-Whitewater receivers coach was Rindahl's coach when the Warhawks' stud linebacker played at Cambridge High School. Parish remembers when Rindahl, in middle school at the time, was a ball boy for the high school basketball team and chuckles at the thought of the muscle-challenged high school freshman Rindahl once was. [img_r]http://d3football.com/images/2008/uwwrindahlrcw217.jpg[/img_r]

A gym rat is what Parish calls him, a genuinely nice kid who would do whatever possible to help a friend.

"But you put a football helmet on him," Parish said, "and I think when he hears the buckles clip something triggers him to move really fast and make big plays and things of that nature. That's pretty exciting."

Spoken like a true football coach.

The 6-foot-3, 220-pound Rindahl is definitely not a man to mess with.

On the field, the senior is the heart of Whitewater's defense, a big-time playmaker for a unit that ranks third in the nation by allowing 12.2 points per game and 17th in total defense at 265.3 yards per game. Off the field, he has played a vital role in Whitewater's transition from the veteran team that won the Division III national title last season to the relatively young one - the Warhawks have just six seniors on the roster - that is 12-1 and plays Mary Hardin-Baylor (12-1) in the national semifinals at noon Saturday in Belton, Texas.

"It was essentially a new defense and to keep that edge, keep that attitude, you need someone," Whitewater coach Lance Leipold said.

Rindahl embraced the role, making sure teammates were lined up properly or being there for anyone with questions. All the while, he was adjusting to his move from the weak side to the middle, and moving into the spotlight after being obscured by the presence of linebackers A.J. Raebel, a D3football.com second-team All-American, and Tristan Borzick, a first team all-conference pick.

"You want to get our name out there and to be recognized by people . . ." Rindahl admitted. "Coming into this season, I had a lot of high expectations. I was a preseason All-American and I thought that was a little more pressure on me to perform at that level. It wouldn't mean nothing if I don't become an All-American."

Rindahl is well on his way. He made the first-team of D3football.com's All-West Region team that was released earlier this week.

He leads Whitewater with 90 tackles, including eight for a loss, and 1 sacks. He also leads the team with five interceptions. He had two last week, including a fourth-quarter pick he returned 45 yards for a touchdown to seal a 34-17 victory over Wartburg College.

The play capped another big playoff performance for Rindahl, who finished the day with six tackles and two interception returns for 88 yards.

It was a big-time play by what Leipold called a "big-time player." Rindahl has proved it again and again in the playoffs.

Against Willamette in the second round, he had 14 tackles. He had 16 tackles, including 10 solos, in the Warhawks' 31-21 victory over Mount Union in the national championship game. And in the national semifinal last season, he had 12 tackles in a 16-7 victory over Mary Hardin-Baylor.

That game was a dream for power football lovers. Mary Hardin-Baylor ran the ball 50 times; Whitewater ran it 44.

It should be more of the same this year.

Quarterback Josh Saenz leads the Crusaders in rushing with 742 yards and 10 touchdowns. Bryson Tucker, a converted linebacker, has run for 675 yards in the last six games and two other backs have more than 500 rushing yards.

"They're going to come out and hit you and it's going to be a physical battle and I think that is the only way we want it to be," Rindahl said. "For us defensive guys, we love to stop the run. That is what we feel is our strength as a defense."

A victory will put Whitewater in the national title game for the fourth straight year.

It would also give Rindahl the rare distinction of playing 60 games as a collegian, the maximum a Division III player can play.

"That is the only way I want to go out," he said. "There is no way I want to stop in the semifinals and take a loss now when we're that close and we can get back there and finish out the best way you can finish out a career."

"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
Heatherthepackgirl
15 years ago
My Nephew used to go to White Water, he went there for a few years and now hes in Sheboygan. 🙂
Heathiee
Pack93z
  • Pack93z
  • Select Member Topic Starter
15 years ago
At least we have something to hang our hats upon this year..

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/statecolleges/36277799.html 

Whitewater - For its motto, the University of Wisconsin-Whitewater chose, "Stay Close. Go Far."

It goes to the possibilities beyond the lovely, rural campus for a student body that, for the most part, abides a short commute to where Jefferson and Walworth counties meet to form the lower edge of the Kettle Moraine Forest.

It's also a motto the school could stamp across the helmets of its football team.

This season the Warhawks, with a roster largely of players from southeastern Wisconsin, traveled to play games in Tacoma, Wash., in Salem, Ore., and in Belton, Texas.

And for the fourth consecutive year, they will go to Salem, Va., on Saturday to play for the Division III national championship in the Amos Alonzo Stagg Bowl.

How does such sustained excellence happen at any level in this age?

"I think part of the reason is this building we're sitting in," Whitewater coach Lance Leipold said Tuesday afternoon as snow fell outside his office window.

No doubt, Whitewater's athletic center, which Leipold's distinguished predecessor, Bob Berezowitz, campaigned to build before UWW's Stagg Bowl run, would be the envy of any Division III school. Truth be told, many larger schools also would love to have the facility, with its spacious classrooms and weight facilities.

Perkins Stadium helps, too. Seating 11,000, it is one of the largest in Division III. So do featured majors in education and business, recruiting draws for a level of football that does not offer athletic scholarships.

Beyond all that, Leipold has proved himself as a most worthy successor to Berezowitz.

A former Whitewater quarterback who served as a Wisconsin graduate assistant during Barry Alvarez's first Rose Bowl run, Leipold returned to his alma mater last year after spending time in Nebraska, first with the Cornhuskers and then as Nebraska-Omaha's offensive coordinator.

In his first season, Leipold coached the Warhawks to the 2007 national championship, the first in school history. And now the Warhawks are back in the title game after losing four starting offensive linemen, an entire secondary and a large senior class.

After Whitewater beat Mount Union, the New York Yankees of D3 football, Leipold let only the seniors make the celebrity appearances at the capitol and at halftime of UW and Marquette basketball games.

"The other guys, we told them to stay grounded and stay hungry and get back in the weight room," Leipold said. "And they really did. We told them, 'Your day will come.' Hopefully if we can finish this thing off, their day will come (Saturday)."

Whitewater's return to the championship game, against Mount Union for the fourth time in as many years, is notable in that 27 of the 52 who will dress Saturday did not play in the Stagg Bowl last season.

Leipold has rebuilt with two 1,000-yard rushers, a 1,000-yard receiver and a quarterback, Jeff Donovan from Wauwatosa East, who has thrown for almost 2,500 yards this season. Two of Whitewater's top defenders, Wesley Hicks (Vincent) and Anthony White (Bay View), are from Milwaukee.

"We've always been blessed by our locality, between Milwaukee and Madison, but now even more so we can bring a recruit in and open their eyes," Leipold said. "A lot of times we might be able to beat a Division II school because they'd rather stay closer to home and play in a better facility than having to go to a Minnesota or Dakota school. I think that's really benefited us."

Mount Union, which will play in its 12th Stagg Bowl since 1993, has won a record nine D3 championships. How the private school does it is one question. How Whitewater does it makes it one of our sporting jewels.

"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
Fan Shout
dfosterf (11h) : Kidding aside, I hope the best for him.
dfosterf (11h) : Went to a Titans board. One comment there. Not very long. I quote: "LOL" They don't sound overly upset about our aquisition.
beast (11h) : OT Dillard has been absolutely horrible... like OG Newman levels
dfosterf (12h) : Suit him up and have him stand in front of the big board as a draft day cautionary tale.
Zero2Cool (13h) : Packers sign T Andre Dillard.
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : Adds most of the information this time of year comes from agents.
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : @RealAlexBarth Bill Belichick says accurate draft information doesn't leak from teams until about 12 hours before the draft. Adds most of th
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : I am very happy that for moment, Jordan Love seems like a normal human being
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : Belichick * whatever
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : "There's a lot of depth at Offensive Tackle and Wide Receiver." Bill Bellichick
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : Thanks! I can't believe it's over haha
Martha Careful (16-Apr) : Congratulations
Zero2Cool (16-Apr) : Boom. Student Loan. $0.00. Only took about 20 years.
Zero2Cool (14-Apr) : Packers DT Kenny Clark: New defensive coordinator Jeff Hafley will 'allow us to be way more disruptive'
Zero2Cool (12-Apr) : Saints have agreed to terms on a contract with former Packers wide receiver Equanimeous St. Brown.
beast (12-Apr) : No, but of it's for legislation, then half of the country will find it evil, not good, whatever it says....
Mucky Tundra (12-Apr) : Draft is still 2 weeks away. UGH
dhazer (11-Apr) : Does anyone know of a good AI generator to create letters of Support for legislation?
Zero2Cool (11-Apr) : Gordon "Red" Batty retires as equipment manager
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Sounds like that's pretty certain now.
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Packers "at" Eagles in Brazil. Week One
dfosterf (10-Apr) : Va' Fazer As Malas Va' !
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Mark Murphy tipping us off?
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : “We’re either the first- or second-most popular team in Brazil.”
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Christian Watson got married. Wife better be careful with those hamstrings!! 😂😂
dfosterf (9-Apr) : Those poor bastards
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Falcons have signed former Packers CB Kevin King, who has been out of football since 2021.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Collectively, we need to spend more time in what we have, when analyzing ostendible needs and historical proclivities
dfosterf (8-Apr) : I say he is better than so many of these draft picks
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Question of the week for me: Has anyone besides me done any deep dive into the potential of Alex McGough, our 3rd string qb?
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Or in Tunsil's case, something gets released day of draft or day before lol
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Seems every year someone does something pre-draft.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Falling down drunk. The draft board
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Allright! Potential character guy/f#×k up pickup in D'Vondre Sweat!
Zero2Cool (7-Apr) : Go Badgers!!!
Martha Careful (6-Apr) : Go Boilermakers!!!
Martha Careful (5-Apr) : Diggs has not stepped up in the playoffs and has a high cost
beast (5-Apr) : Probably not going to let Diggs walk away unless he's horrible... but according to reports he also might not be as good as he used to be.
beast (5-Apr) : The 25th pick in the draft has been an offensive player since 2017, 2 TE, 2 WR, 1 RB, 1 OC
Mucky Tundra (5-Apr) : Odd, why give up a 2025 2nd Rounder for him if you're just gonna let him walk?
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : Texans to let Diggs be free agent in '25
buckeyepackfan (4-Apr) : 49r's aign RB Patrick Taylor.
Martha Careful (4-Apr) : Reversion to the mean would indicate we will keep it
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : It's also been utilized in a trade in 14 of the past 20 years
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : The 25th pick in the draft hasn't been made by it's original holder since 2016.
Mucky Tundra (4-Apr) : Gotta imagine that Green Bay vs Houston will be a primetime game this upcoming season
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : No. Kill QB. No worries. 😁
Mucky Tundra (3-Apr) : Diggs, Collins, Dell and Schultz is gonna be tough to cover
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : Stefon Diggs' trade will not be processed as a post-June 1 designation, so that is just over $31 million in dead cap this year.
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : Bills trading WR Stefon Diggs to the Texans in exchange for a 2025 2nd-round pick. (via @rapsheet)
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
4h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

9h / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

13h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

15h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

18-Apr / Random Babble / Mucky Tundra

18-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

16-Apr / Random Babble / Martha Careful

15-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

12-Apr / Random Babble / Nonstopdrivel

12-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.