beast
11 years ago

I like the idea of a fake but have some other problems with play they picked.

1) They faked a run but sliding him to his left... that might be fine if he was an experienced passer... but as far as I know he's not, why not tell him to stay put so he can focus on proper foot placement, which leads to a better pass.

2) Why did they put in two kickers? That didn't make sense to me.

2a) If they're doing it off of a fake FG kick they could of put Cobb in as the holder (Cobb has been the holders and still is the back-up holder) also Cobb has played the wild cat QB in college and has also thrown some WR passes in college, and much more of a threat to run it and get away from a pass rush. Also I think Cobb is left handed just like the punter.

2b) If they did it off of a fake Punt they wouldn't of had to put in Crosby, who I think most people didn't think was a threat to be thrown to.

UserPostedImage
Pack93z
11 years ago
Do you not think if they put Harrell or Cobb in to hold for the kick that the Jags might have read that something is up?

"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
Porforis
11 years ago

I like the idea of a fake but have some other problems with play they picked.

1) They faked a run but sliding him to his left... that might be fine if he was an experienced passer... but as far as I know he's not, why not tell him to stay put so he can focus on proper foot placement, which leads to a better pass.

2) Why did they put in two kickers? That didn't make sense to me.

2a) If they're doing it off of a fake FG kick they could of put Cobb in as the holder (Cobb has been the holders and still is the back-up holder) also Cobb has played the wild cat QB in college and has also thrown some WR passes in college, and much more of a threat to run it and get away from a pass rush. Also I think Cobb is left handed just like the punter.

2b) If they did it off of a fake Punt they wouldn't of had to put in Crosby, who I think most people didn't think was a threat to be thrown to.

Originally Posted by: beast 

1. Masthay is the normal holder unless I'm crazy
2. Putting Cobb in there immediately tips off the special teams to trickery. By leaving Masthay in there rather than sending Cobb back to pass, it's much more believable that they were just going to punt it away. With Cobb back there, it's obvious they're trying to pick up the first down. Maybe they could try sneaking him in elsewhere in the formation, have Masthay lateral it to him if nobody's wide open right away and let Cobb decide whether he's going to run with it or pass it. But that's too complicated of a play IMO.
3. Masthay's not a terrible passer, in fact his other NFL throw resulted in a TD for what that's worth. He just didn't make a great read, and tried making a very difficult pass. The pass itself looked good, just way underthrown because he was throwing it something like 15 yards deep across the length of the field. He might not be a terrible passer, but he's still a punter, he's going to have a noodle arm.
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
11 years ago

2. Putting Cobb in there immediately tips off the special teams to trickery. By leaving Masthay in there rather than sending Cobb back to pass, it's much more believable that they were just going to punt it away. With Cobb back there, it's obvious they're trying to pick up the first down. Maybe they could try sneaking him in elsewhere in the formation, have Masthay lateral it to him if nobody's wide open right away and let Cobb decide whether he's going to run with it or pass it. But that's too complicated of a play IMO.
3. Masthay's not a terrible passer, in fact his other NFL throw resulted in a TD for what that's worth. He just didn't make a great read, and tried making a very difficult pass. The pass itself looked good, just way underthrown because he was throwing it something like 15 yards deep across the length of the field. He might not be a terrible passer, but he's still a punter, he's going to have a noodle arm.

Originally Posted by: Porforis 

agreed. Cobb as the holder would have changed the coverage personnel. They would have potentially changed personnel if they say Cobb on the field anyway. After reviewing 100 other kick formations without Cobb would have meant something was up.
UserPostedImage
yooperfan
11 years ago
It made one of the top 5 dumbest decisions on "Mike and Mike".
beast
11 years ago

Do you not think if they put Harrell or Cobb in to hold for the kick that the Jags might have read that something is up?

Originally Posted by: Pack93z 

Do you think the Jags are stupid enough not to know something is up when Tim Masthay stands up in shotgun and Crosby and the others spread out? The set-up TOLD the other team something is up. You could of had anybody in there and the Jags would of known something was up when they switched to the different set up.

So

1) The set-up told them something was up no matter the player

2) The Packers have been able to sneak Flynn into a couple different ST plays, why would Cobb be different?

3) Even if it's not Cobb, faking a punt and putting someone in there besides Crosby would of still be better set-up.

1) I agree Masthay is the normal holder.

2) If they see Cobb, then yes maybe... but Cobb is also the back-up holder, and they could sneak him in just like they did with Flynn.

And the set-up gave it away that it was a trick when they spread everyone out and the punter stood up. Why would you have a kicker as a gunner? It was clearly a trick after that.

3) His touchdown pass was what, a 5 yard screen pass with a long run?

Also I think it's fine with Masthay passing it, my problem with that was putting him motion and then asking him to pass it. To me it wasn't a noodle arm pass, it was a pass off his back foot, while leaning back-wards and the wrong way. If you're going to ask a kicker to pass it, keep them in the pocket (unless they're good with their footwork on the run, which was one of the problems (also that he had a rusher in his face, but if he stayed put, the blocker would of been between him and the rusher, and he wouldn't of had to rush the pass.)

UserPostedImage
Porforis
11 years ago
My point is that while it's obvious that it's a trick play when they change formations, it's NOT obvious that they're going to try to go for the first when you send your punter back in shotgun formation in a spot in the field where a punt would be ideal. The second Cobb is back in shotgun, any doubt is completely eliminated. As far as Crosby going out wide as a gunner, where else is he supposed to go in that formation where he's less likely to get killed?
Pack93z
11 years ago

Do you think the Jags are stupid enough not to know something is up when Tim Masthay stands up in shotgun and Crosby and the others spread out? The set-up TOLD the other team something is up. You could of had anybody in there and the Jags would of known something was up when they switched to the different set up.

So

1) The set-up told them something was up no matter the player

2) The Packers have been able to sneak Flynn into a couple different ST plays, why would Cobb be different?

3) Even if it's not Cobb, faking a punt and putting someone in there besides Crosby would of still be better set-up.

Originally Posted by: beast 

It was about personnel grouping on the Jags part... so.. they didn't shift until after the players are set.. so by trotting out Mastay, the Packers apparently liked the match ups with the personnel on the field. The benefit of even trotting out the unit.. to gain the personnel advantage, or what they perceived to be so.

Otherwise.. if you are just going to go for it.. then why not have your best players on the field.. with Rodgers leading the play?

"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
beast
11 years ago

It made one of the top 5 dumbest decisions on "Mike and Mike".

Originally Posted by: yooperfan 

Hiring Mike Greenberg for that should of been one as well...
okay maybe not really...

But the guy bugs the crap out of me, giving a 5 to 10 minute blow by blow of what they've already covered after every commercial break... the people that have been listening don't need it because they heard you the first time...

And I don't mind a recap.... but not after you come back from every single break, and they don't need to be so long.

Also he doesn't know sports...

nor would he let his kid order french fries for breakfast at ihop, you know the important stuff jk

UserPostedImage
beast
11 years ago

My point is that while it's obvious that it's a trick play when they change formations, it's NOT obvious that they're going to try to go for the first when you send your punter back in shotgun formation in a spot in the field where a punt would be ideal. The second Cobb is back in shotgun, any doubt is completely eliminated. As far as Crosby going out wide as a gunner, where else is he supposed to go in that formation where he's less likely to get killed?

I agree with what you're saying about Cobb there.

My point is simply they already raised red flags by going from a FG look to a Shot gun / punting look... that red flag got them thinking.

If they wanted to pass out of the punt look, they should of started in the punt look with Crosby on the bench (which he's even less likely to get killed)

UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
dfosterf (10h) : Maybe
Mucky Tundra (11h) : Yes
Zero2Cool (12h) : No.
Mucky Tundra (14h) : End of a Degu-era
dhazer (14h) : Steelers sign Patterson because of new kickoff rule interesting
Zero2Cool (17h) : Former #Packers TE Josiah Deguara is signing a 1-year deal with the Jaguars, per source.
Zero2Cool (18h) : They do not do it for "content sake".
dfosterf (28-Mar) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (27-Mar) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (27-Mar) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Against tbd
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (27-Mar) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (27-Mar) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (27-Mar) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
6h / Around The NFL / beast

10h / Green Bay Packers Talk / buckeyepackfan

28-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

28-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.