beast
11 years ago

It was about personnel grouping on the Jags part... so.. they didn't shift until after the players are set.. so by trotting out Mastay, the Packers apparently liked the match ups with the personnel on the field. The benefit of even trotting out the unit.. to gain the personnel advantage, or what they perceived to be so.

Otherwise.. if you are just going to go for it.. then why not have your best players on the field.. with Rodgers leading the play?

Originally Posted by: Pack93z 

I'm fine with that... I still disagree with rolling Masthay to the left and having Crosby on the field, I think if they wanted a Masthay pass, a fake punt would of been better than a fake FG, into a fake punt...

I'm guessing you would make an argument that the Jags FG rush team might be easier to make a play on then the Jag Punt rush team, but I think the fake FG switch gave it away.

If they were going to try a fake FG into a fake Punt into a pass play, they should of done a couple of fake FGs into a real punt first... at least one...
UserPostedImage
Porforis
11 years ago

I agree with what you're saying about Cobb there.

My point is simply they already raised red flags by going from a FG look to a Shot gun / punting look... that red flag got them thinking.

If they wanted to pass out of the punt look, they should of started in the punt look with Crosby on the bench (which he's even less likely to get killed)

Originally Posted by: beast 

I still say it's just as obvious from the punt formation if you send Cobb back there in Masthay's place. 5-10 black guy doesn't do a great 6'1" white guy impression. I guess one upside to starting with Cobb in the punt formation that I didn't consider before was that if they make it REAL obvious that they're going to go for it and it takes them at least a few seconds to realize what's up, it's that much more likely that they're going to call a timeout because of personnel, matchup issues.

Kind of a moot point here as we'll never know for sure, but this might have been a situation where the Packers saw something on film that shows the Jaguars have problems with getting their special teams personnel in order or tend to have slower players on their field goal unit that are exploitable. By starting in field goal formation, then shifting to an offensive formation this prevents any last-second substitutions and it's much more likely that you're going to be able to get set before the defenders than if you start in the offensive formation.
PackFanWithTwins
11 years ago
Best option IMO for a fake in that situation, would have been to line up in Punt formation, with Cobb as the personal protector with Kuhn out. Then shift Masthay from the normal punt depth to standard Shotgun. Shifting the rest how ever to create a pass formation crabtee, boykin, cobb, DJ. That would make the defense think about Cobb, and if nothing looks right, snap the ball and quick kick it, if it looks good, go for it.
The world needs ditch diggers too Danny!!!
beast
11 years ago

I still say it's just as obvious from the punt formation if you send Cobb back there in Masthay's place. 5-10 black guy doesn't do a great 6'1" white guy impression. I guess one upside to starting with Cobb in the punt formation that I didn't consider before was that if they make it REAL obvious that they're going to go for it and it takes them at least a few seconds to realize what's up, it's that much more likely that they're going to call a timeout because of personnel, matchup issues.

Kind of a moot point here as we'll never know for sure, but this might have been a situation where the Packers saw something on film that shows the Jaguars have problems with getting their special teams personnel in order or tend to have slower players on their field goal unit that are exploitable. By starting in field goal formation, then shifting to an offensive formation this prevents any last-second substitutions and it's much more likely that you're going to be able to get set before the defenders than if you start in the offensive formation.

Originally Posted by: Porforis 

I don't think you understand what I was saying... I meant Cobb at holder in the fake FG look, OR just out of the punt look with no Cobb. My point is one kicker on the field... not both.

Also I'd be for a fake FG into a real punt... as long as they got a speedsters to get down the field fast to down that thing. I wouldn't want to see Crosby going for a tackle (which he would, and one of the reasons I like him, he's willing to try his best to make the tackles if they come close enough to him).

UserPostedImage
Porforis
11 years ago

Best option IMO for a fake in that situation, would have been to line up in Punt formation, with Cobb as the personal protector with Kuhn out. Then shift Masthay from the normal punt depth to standard Shotgun. Shifting the rest how ever to create a pass formation crabtee, boykin, cobb, DJ. That would make the defense think about Cobb, and if nothing looks right, snap the ball and quick kick it, if it looks good, go for it.

Originally Posted by: PackFanWithTwins 

Agreed that if you're going to do a passing play from the punt formation, that's the best way to do it. Disguise Cobb as best as you can for as long as you can. Heck, I'd fake a run to Cobb then pass it. I'd assume the defense would note Cobb and pay more attention to him than anyone else.
macbob
11 years ago
I'm a nay, but more on the what it says about our team/approach to the Jags game vs the play call/execution itself.

Obviously, we spent time in practice working on that play--we didn't just whip it out during the game. We're going against a team that we're favored to whip by more than two touchdowns and we're working on cutesy trick plays?

I can't shake the feeling that we weren't taking the Jags all that seriously in advance of the game, and this makes me feel like it was starting from the coaching staff on down.
UserPostedImage
MontanaBob
11 years ago
As a holder waaaay back in college, I was one for one on fake field goal passes. This was directly off the snap...we were in field goal formation and did not shift.

Unfortunately, my pass was a Pick Six for 70 yards against Utah State, in Ogden , Utah. Didn't matter, we still got crushed 49-17.
Anyone for a Weenie Roast?
Scythe
11 years ago
I found the play I was talking about earlier. 

Maybe Harrell should have taken the snap.
blank
RajiRoar
11 years ago
IMO

1. If you MUST fake it, use players in a role they are familiar with.. ex. Kuhn up the middle, fake pass from Flynn (or Harrell) last year. Don't let the punter chuck it.. although we all know Jon Ryan was a RB trapped in a punter's body.

2. Just leave 🇦🇷 out there.

3. Just leave 🇦🇷 out there.

4. Punting and FGs are not bad things in most cases.

MintBaconDrivel
Dec, 11, 2012 - FOREVER!
beast
11 years ago

Why do we even take Rodgers off the field for 4th down? ... just let him pass it and we'll get the 1st down 🤣
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
dfosterf (11h) : Maybe
Mucky Tundra (11h) : Yes
Zero2Cool (13h) : No.
Mucky Tundra (15h) : End of a Degu-era
dhazer (15h) : Steelers sign Patterson because of new kickoff rule interesting
Zero2Cool (18h) : Former #Packers TE Josiah Deguara is signing a 1-year deal with the Jaguars, per source.
Zero2Cool (19h) : They do not do it for "content sake".
dfosterf (28-Mar) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (27-Mar) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (27-Mar) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Against tbd
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (27-Mar) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (27-Mar) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (27-Mar) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
6h / Around The NFL / beast

11h / Green Bay Packers Talk / buckeyepackfan

28-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

28-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.