Pack93z
  • Pack93z
  • Select Member Topic Starter
15 years ago
Notice the comment from Moss.. "when my job is on the line"... I think it is safe to say, the heat has been applied at 1265 Lombardi..

http://www.madison.com/wsj/home/sports/318300 

GREEN BAY -- If the Green Bay Packers are serious about playing their best three linebackers, they may have a difficult decision before Sunday's game at Jacksonville.

With Brandon Chillar returning to full participation in practice Thursday, Desmond Bishop having had a greater impact in one game than his linebacking mates have had all season and linebackers coach Winston Moss openly calling for A.J. Hawk to be more productive, might the coaches consider a lineup of Chillar, Bishop and Brady Poppinga?

"When my job is on the line, the guys that give us the best chance to win within the game plan, they're the guys who play," Moss said Thursday.

Perhaps, but Bishop realizes he wasn't the No. 5 overall pick in the 2006 NFL draft like Hawk, and he wasn't the team's lone offseason free-agent signing like Chillar. Thus, as a 2007 sixth-round draft pick, he could find himself back on the bench Sunday against the Jaguars, despite his productivity.

Asked if his performance in Sunday's loss to Houston -- 12 tackles, a sack, another tackle for loss and two forced fumbles -- merited him starting at will linebacker against the Jaguars regardless of Chillar's health, Bishop chose his words carefully.

"I don't know. I don't think it's about what you do anymore," said Bishop, who started at will linebacker against the Texans after Chillar suffered a groin injury in practice during the week. "I think it's beyond that. It's something else. I don't know what it is, but it's something beyond what you do on the field. I don't know how to explain it. I don't even know if that made sense."

Actually, it makes perfect sense. When starting middle linebacker Nick Barnett was lost for the year with a torn ACL in his right knee suffered Nov. 9 at Minnesota, Bishop finished the game at the position. But the coaches decided to shift Hawk from the weakside into the middle and start Chillar at Hawk's spot.

Hawk (12 tackles) and Chillar (six tackles, one pass breakup, one quarterback pressure) both responded with strong performances against Chicago on Nov. 16, but Hawk hasn't played well in the three games since, causing Moss to call for more productivity from him this week.

Hawk, who suffered a preseason chest injury and played through a groin injury suffered Sept. 28 at Tampa Bay, enters Sunday's game with a team-high 90 tackles, two sacks (both at Detroit Sept. 14) and two pass breakups but no interceptions, fumbles forced or recovered.

"We need to get more production out of him. And I think he's well aware of that," Moss said Monday. "With his talent level and the position he's in right now, we're going to expect more, we're demanding more. I think he's ready to give that, so with that, our emphasis is going to be on him getting in good positions to be impactful.

"I'm confident in A.J. I'm a big A.J. fan. And I spend a lot of time with him. I have as much invested in him doing well as he (does) in himself. He's going to get back on track and he's going to make some plays for us before this is over with."

On Thursday, Moss added, "There's been some flashes in the past. This year, he started off fast. He had some sacks, had a lot of tackles early on, and he was fighting through that (chest) injury. Then all of a sudden, he tweaks his groin, so he takes a step back. Then we switch positions on him.

Asked Thursday if Moss is right that he hasn't had the impact he should, Hawk replied, "Of course I haven't. I haven't been producing as much as I should have. I definitely want to produce more. I can handle (the criticism). I talked to (Moss). We communicate. So it's nothing new. I know what's going on."

Chillar said after practice he is "definitely better" than he was last week, when he strained his groin during team drills. Asked if he thought there is a chance he may not start against Jacksonville even if he's healthy, Chillar stuck to the script he's been following since Poppinga beat him out for the starting sam linebacker job in training camp.

"I'm not sure. I guess we'll have to find out," Chillar said. "(Bishop) did a good job stepping in and playing. We'll see where it leads us. I'll try to help the team wherever I can. That's been my stance the whole year."

When asked what he'll do Sunday given Bishop's strong performance against Houston, coach Mike McCarthy acknowleged it is an "excellent question."

"I think it's very obvious, you don't have enough good quality productive football players," McCarthy said. "So we'll find a way to make that work."

Granted, Bishop hasn't played flawless football. Against Minnesota, he overran running back Chester Taylor on a short checkdown pass, allowing Taylor to sprint 47 yards for a touchdown on his first play from scrimmage. Then, on Adrian Peterson's go-ahead 29-yard touchdown run with 2:22 left in the game, Bishop was out of his gap and left Peterson an open lane to the end zone.

Against the Texans, while his strip of tight end Owen Daniels saved a touchdown and his sack and 3-yard tackle-for-loss of Cecil Sapp were both big plays, he also lost coverage on Daniels on a 27-yard completion to set up the game-winning field goal.

"I think I could've done things better. You can always do more, but I think I did well," said Bishop, who leads the team in fumbles forced (three). "I think with more reps, I could even be better."

Moss doesn't disagree. He just wants to see more evidence before recommending any bold moves.

"The jury's still out on Bishop as far as what kind of player he is," Moss said. "We know that he's a very talented player, a very active player. He flashed in the preseason. If I had more of a body of work on Bishop to compare against A.J., then I would be able to answer a little bit better. I'm still holding on that when it's all said and done, A.J. has not given me any (reason to think) that he's not able to be impactful. Could he have played some things better? Absolutely. You can go down the line and say that about every player on this team.

"I would have to say that Bishop has done well when he's been in there. Now, we can find ways to get guys on the field. As a staff, as always, we go into it trying to find the best combination that gives us the best chance to win. If he's part of that group, he's in there."

"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
warhawk
15 years ago
Well, if there was ever a "nobody's job is safe" time it's now. Let Chillar play the last three minutes when we are up by two and the other team has to pass to beat us...again.

Bishop is our only LB that doesn't look like a robot on low batteries. Even if he makes a mistake once in awhile the D can get some energy off this guy.
"The train is leaving the station."
Timmons
15 years ago
The jury is still out on Bishop because he doesn't get the playing time. Hawk continues to dissapoint, no matter where they play him. If he's injured and that's the reason, then why is he on the field? We need an LB core that has a monster in it.

The weakness that persists at our Dline and LB core needs to be addressed.
blank
dfosterf
15 years ago

Well, if there was ever a "nobody's job is safe" time it's now. Let Chillar play the last three minutes when we are up by two and the other team has to pass to beat us...again.

Bishop is our only LB that doesn't look like a robot on low batteries. Even if he makes a mistake once in awhile the D can get some energy off this guy.

"warhawk" wrote:

Man, the difference was palpable early on in that game. If he hadn't got toasted in pass coverage, this discussion wouldn't even be occurring. I'm not going to speak to his talent level, or his lack of playing time, but I will say this. As well as he played, bottom line, he didn't produce in a very critical situation, so he should probably be a bit more circumspect when issuing commentary. I still want to see him in there, but allusions to draft position and the inequity of it all...well, wait until you have a little better case, I say. For one, he is who we thought he was, and that is not necessarily a great thing, as much as I like what he brings to the table, he still hasn't shown that he can be counted upon come clutch time, especially in pass coverage. It is what it is, as much as I enjoyed his intensity and the results of it.

I think Hawk is still hurt. Not an excuse I'm trying to generate, it is just what I think. Or hope?
Pack93z
  • Pack93z
15 years ago

Man, the difference was palpable early on in that game. If he hadn't got toasted in pass coverage, this discussion wouldn't even be occurring. I'm not going to speak to his talent level, or his lack of playing time, but I will say this. As well as he played, bottom line, he didn't produce in a very critical situation, so he should probably be a bit more circumspect when issuing commentary. I still want to see him in there, but allusions to draft position and the inequity of it all...well, wait until you have a little better case, I say. For one, he is who we thought he was, and that is not necessarily a great thing, as much as I like what he brings to the table, he still hasn't shown that he can be counted upon come clutch time, especially in pass coverage. It is what it is, as much as I enjoyed his intensity and the results of it.

I think Hawk is still hurt. Not an excuse I'm trying to generate, it is just what I think. Or hope?

"dfosterf" wrote:

That is a fine point.

But if we are going to use that, then Poppinga letting Leach go completely on the goal line shouldn't be overlooked either.. he read the play incorrectly and released him into a flat where no one was at.. that play was a far bigger blunder than Bishop not keeping up with an athletic Tight End that is becoming a pro bowl level player.. mind you from U of Wisconsin as well.

And Poppinga has a hell of a lot more experience to make a blunder like that.

We had the Texans pinned and Poppinga blew it completely.. as he said, he read run on a pretty generic play action play.
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
dfosterf
15 years ago
I have to classify Pack's commentary as a supplemental bitch as contrasted with an alternative bitch. I think I got off reasonably lightly, in that I am encroaching upon his bitching terrain. I'm going to take my skinny ass on home back to the offensive line bitching section of this forum now.
warhawk
15 years ago
Well I can tell you this and that is our LB's aren't going to stand a chance in coverage if the QB is left standing in the pocket with nothing blocking his line of sight and TE's are allowed to cross all the way over the middle before he even let's it go.

I have also seen a lot of needles thread with the LB's in very tight coverage but again, the QB was standing back there and threw the ball into a barrell. Notice the difference in Bree's when the heat was on last night? He was missing guys wide open. Against us he looked like a sailor in a red light district. Hit everything on two legs.
"The train is leaving the station."
Pack93z
  • Pack93z
15 years ago

I have to classify Pack's commentary as a supplemental bitch as contrasted with an alternative bitch. I think I got off reasonably lightly, in that I am encroaching upon his bitching terrain. I'm going to take my skinny ass on home back to the offensive line bitching section of this forum now.

"dfosterf" wrote:

LOL.. nah.. come join the party.. :lol:

I promise you that I will not focus on the backers this week.. I might try to jump through the TV and try to pick a fight with oxygen boy to instill some freaking fire into him.. maybe knocking my head around will light the fire.

Linebacker, to me, is the most instinctive position on the field.. and that is what bothers me the most.. other than Bishop last week, these boys were slower cognitively than Cheech and Chong falling out of a smoke filled fan. :lol:

I think Warhawk stated it best.. a robot on low batteries..
dfosterf
15 years ago
I liked the sailor/hooker one. +1 for squids and hookers.

Today must be analogy day.

I think there might very possibly be an alternative reality with regards to our linebacking. AJ Hawk could be getting the nod because he is auditioning for a job in 2009. I still feel like our personnel department is linebacker-centric.
Greg C.
15 years ago

"I don't know. I don't think it's about what you do anymore," said Bishop, who started at will linebacker against the Texans after Chillar suffered a groin injury in practice during the week. "I think it's beyond that. It's something else. I don't know what it is, but it's something beyond what you do on the field. I don't know how to explain it. I don't even know if that made sense."

"pack93z" wrote:

I agree with dfosterf that Bishop should stay away from comments like this. He made what was probably the single biggest game-losing play against the Texans. I'm sick of watching this team fold in crunch time, so my tolerance for comments like this is at a low point right now.

Having said that, I've liked Bishop a lot ever since the preseason, and I wouldn't mind seeing him in the starting lineup next year, if there's a way to do it without putting anyone else out of position.

I also agree with dfosterf that Hawk is not fully healthy. If he is healthy, and he's really this mediocre, he may play himself out of the league within a few years. Our LB's have been a big disappointment overall this season. I thought they were going to be one of the strongest groups of LB's in the league. Instead, they have been average at best. And average isn't good enough.
blank
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (1h) : Former #Packers TE Josiah Deguara is signing a 1-year deal with the Jaguars, per source.
Zero2Cool (2h) : They do not do it for "content sake".
dfosterf (12h) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (19h) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (20h) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (21h) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Against tbd
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (27-Mar) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (27-Mar) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (27-Mar) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
beast (25-Mar) : Simply fined in the week to follow
beast (25-Mar) : I agree with one NFL official, it'll probably be like some of the helmets hits, not really called by the refs on the field but simply fined
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Hip drop is not. Super confusing. Referees job is harder
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Swivel hip drop is banned
dfosterf (25-Mar) : The hip drop enforcement will be in the form of fines, etc. Not flags
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
13h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

13h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

13h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

20h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Around The NFL / dhazer

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.