Zero2Cool
11 years ago
I wonder how many of you James Jones haters will take the time to read this finely written article by Lori.

Green Bay - No ball was thrown his way in the first quarter of one game.

"Focus."

None passed his way by halftime in another.

"Focus!"

Four catches in the third quarter.

"Stay focused!"

Have you noticed Green Bay Packers receiver James Jones talking to himself during games this year? Just walking around, on the field, on the sideline, talking to no one but the man in the mirror?

"Even some of the DBs have asked me, man, what are you talking about?" said Jones, laughing.

He's talking about catching the ball, specifically, 36 times this season. And being the target of 57 passes in all - without a single drop. He's talking about the best season in his six-year career.

This didn't just happen, some stroke of luck, with an illuminated light bulb over his head. This took work, and lots of it, starting with a steady stream of verbal self-reminders that he had to catch the ball - every ball - this year, whether he was getting a lot of passes, or none.

"In the past I've had games where I caught balls early and I would lose focus at the end," said Jones. And the other way around. "So I'm constantly talking to myself the whole game."

Jones' efforts have paid off this season and for an example, he has different, difficult catches to show for it.

In the win against the New Orleans Saints, Green Bay held a 28-27 lead when the Packers faced third down at midfield. They needed a first down or risked punting the ball back to the Saints right after the 2-minute warning.

Just two days earlier, the Packers had done something out of the ordinary, installing a new play, a seven-step hitch route. Packers coach Mike McCarthy decided to call it in this critical moment.

Jones took off after the snap and the last thing he saw was quarterback Aaron Rodgers releasing the ball. After that, Jones might as well have been looking at a solar eclipse through Saints defensive back Jabari Greer, who blocked his line of vision while committing pass interference.

"Aaron threw it inside, it was supposed to be an outside throw," said Jones. "Greer completely covered me - but I had seen Aaron throw it, so I just visualized where I thought the ball would go. I felt it hit my hand and once I felt it hit my hand, I just kind of cradled it with my bicep and my body.

"It was one of those one out of 10 catches. You need a little bit of luck on your side."

But people get lucky once in awhile. Jones has made other great catches this year, especially in Houston. After catching a 6-yard, first-quarter touchdown that had to be wrestled in, Jones hauled in another touchdown that won't be soon forgotten.

"Probably two of my favorite catches of my career," said Jones.

Jones made a diving, sliding, 18-yard, one-handed touchdown catch in the fourth quarter by completely adjusting his usual technique. He caught it at the point.

"When you catch with two hands, you want to catch the fat part of it," said Jones. "The key to catching one-handed balls is you have to catch the tip of the ball.

"It just hit my fingertips and I was able to bring it into my chest and control it and bring it back in. Nine times out of 10, if you try to catch the ball one-handed in the fat part of the ball, with the velocity that Aaron throws it with, it's going to slip out."

The TD helped to demoralize previously unbeaten Texans.

Jones and Rodgers have always had a good rapport, working out together in past seasons in San Diego. But even Rodgers said he noticed a rededication by Jones, who has doubled his film study.

"The way that he's playing is a direct correlation to the way that he's practicing," said Rodgers. "He's making a lot of those plays in practice. He's got improved practice habits and he's been getting the ball thrown his way because he's been working hard. It's transferring over in to the game."

Even if and when starting receivers Greg Jennings and Jordy Nelson return from injuries, the Packers are really going to need Jones in the second half of the season. They have only two rushing touchdowns, and of Rodgers' league-leading 21 touchdowns, Jones has seven of them. That already matches his personal best of last season.

That means good gloves. He's under contract with Under Armour, and his cold-weather gloves look like smooth, perfect batting gloves.

"Your fingertips still get cold," said Jones. "You can never unfreeze the ball. That's the worst part. The ball is rock hard. It's tough to catch. It's like somebody throwing you ice cubes."

Jones is completely serious. And he hates the cold. After practice Wednesday, he pulled on a second fleece sweat shirt, a skull cap and double socks.

"You know I'm a California kid," said Jones. "I'm always cold."

But it doesn't matter. Solid coverage, tricky catches, wicked Wisconsin weather coming up after the bye.

This year, Jones is armed with focus.

Lori Nickel  wrote:

UserPostedImage
Porforis
11 years ago
I "hate" (used extremely loosely) players that continually underperform, especially in critical situations. Jones wasn't really a liability last year, has completely turned his act around this year and I'm extremely pleased that he's been able to improve dramatically. If Jennings and/or Finley goes once the season is over, Jones will be ready to take the #2 spot full-time, no question.
Wade
  • Wade
  • Veteran Member
11 years ago
I have always been a James Jones supporter, even last year when zombieslayer and others jumped off his wagon at least temporarily.

And unlike another Packer receiving type who people like to rant against, he's consistently been well-spoken, respectful, and doesn't point fingers at anyone other than himself.

Nice to see good people doing well.
And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.
Romans 12:2 (NKJV)
PackFanWithTwins
11 years ago
Since Jones was drafted, I have been a fan. Even the drops were not overly concerning. they seemed to be linked to looking back over his left shoulder like he had a blind spot or something. Put him on the left so he has to look back right or over the middle routes and he doesn't have issue. I've never believe that Jordy was so much better than Jones because he became the #2. That was more because of differences between how they are built and the body they needed to run certain routes at the time. Jones was always more in competition for snaps with Jennings and Driver more than with Jordy.

Jones is probably a more dimensional WR than either Jordy or Jennings. All three have the ability to stretch the field, but Jones seems to have a better build to take the hits that come with crossing the middle and slants. Not that he is better at running those routes, just that I think he could hold up to that abuse better.
The world needs ditch diggers too Danny!!!
zombieslayer
11 years ago

I have always been a James Jones supporter, even last year when zombieslayer and others jumped off his wagon at least temporarily.

And unlike another Packer receiving type who people like to rant against, he's consistently been well-spoken, respectful, and doesn't point fingers at anyone other than himself.

Nice to see good people doing well.

Originally Posted by: Wade 

I'm back on the JJ bandwagon. He's JJ again. =d>
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage
(thanks to Pack93z for the pic)
2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. 🇹🇹 🇲🇲 🇦🇷
nerdmann
11 years ago
If he can turn and face the QB, dude's money.

I still think he could be a #1. Great along the sideline too.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
PackerTraxx
11 years ago
JJ was always a player I liked but his drops, or more specifically the timing of his drops were very disconcerting. Hopefully, those days are over. Glad we have him signed for 2 more years.
Why is Jerry Kramer not in the Hall of Fame?
zombieslayer
11 years ago
JJ made a tough TD catch today. I said in the chat that it reminded me of a Sterling Sharpe catch.

He's looking like it will be a good fight next year for the #1 WR spot between him and Jordy. Which of course is a win for us.
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage
(thanks to Pack93z for the pic)
2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. 🇹🇹 🇲🇲 🇦🇷
nerdmann
11 years ago

JJ made a tough TD catch today. I said in the chat that it reminded me of a Sterling Sharpe catch.

He's looking like it will be a good fight next year for the #1 WR spot between him and Jordy. Which of course is a win for us.

Originally Posted by: zombieslayer 

Cobb will be #1.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
DakotaT
11 years ago

Originally Posted by: zombieslayer 

Numbnuts, did you miss the season Cobb is having this year? We won't have a #1, and this offense should never have that. What we should have is a diversified receiver corps that goes 5 deep. I'd love to have Jennings stay, but he is not worth the #1 receiver he and his agent think he deserves.

UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
Mucky Tundra (1h) : End of a Degu-era
dhazer (1h) : Steelers sign Patterson because of new kickoff rule interesting
Zero2Cool (4h) : Former #Packers TE Josiah Deguara is signing a 1-year deal with the Jaguars, per source.
Zero2Cool (5h) : They do not do it for "content sake".
dfosterf (15h) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (22h) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (23h) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (27-Mar) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Against tbd
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (27-Mar) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (27-Mar) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (27-Mar) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
beast (25-Mar) : Simply fined in the week to follow
beast (25-Mar) : I agree with one NFL official, it'll probably be like some of the helmets hits, not really called by the refs on the field but simply fined
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Hip drop is not. Super confusing. Referees job is harder
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
16h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

16h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

16h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

23h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Around The NFL / dhazer

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.