wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member Topic Starter
11 years ago
From what I can see here is the salary cap numbers.

Player, Pos. Cap salary

Offense

Aaron Rodgers, QB 8.50M
Graham Harrell, QB 544,650

Greg Jennings, WR 7.50M
Jordy Nelson, WR 3.83M
James Jones, WR 3.10M
Donald Driver, WR 2.30M
Randall Cobb, WR 733,911
Jarrett Boykin, WR 390,000

Jermichael Finley, TE 5.25M
D.J. Williams, TE 518,995
Tom Crabtree, TE 544,495
Ryan Taylor, TE 484,444

Alex Green, RB 605,900
James Starks, RB 569,570
Cedric Benson, RB 540,000
Brandon Saine, RB 472,364

John Kuhn, FB 2.40M

Josh Sitton, G 4.80M
T.J. Lang, G 1.99M

Jeff Saturday, C 3.18M
Evan Dietrich-Smith, C 619,650

Bryan Bulaga, T 1.85M
Marshall Newhouse, T 582,112
Don Barclay, T 390,833

Defense

B.J. Raji, NT 5.46M

Jerel Worthy, DT 717,855

Ryan Pickett, DE 5.74M
C.J. Wilson, DE 557,238
Phillip Merling, DE 541,085
Mike Daniels, DE 465,146

A.J. Hawk, LB 6.54M
Clay Matthews, LB 1.98M
Nick Perry, LB 1.36M
Brad Jones, LB 634,716
Rob Francois, LB 544,650
Erik Walden, LB 537,265
D.J. Smith, LB 495,438
Jamari Lattimore, LB 471,316
Terrell Manning, LB 432,870
Dezman Moses, LB 391,166

Tramon Williams, CB 7.39M
Jarrett Bush, CB 1.44M
Casey Hayward, CB 601,802
Sam Shields, CB 547,150
Davon House, CB 544,175

Charles Woodson, S $11.44M
Morgan Burnett, S 763,425
M.D. Jennings, S 470,483
Jerron McMillian, S 465,146
Sean Richardson, S 391,666

Special Teams

Mason Crosby, K 2.40M
Brett Goode, LS 829,495
Tim Masthay, P 784,650

PUP

Derek Sherrod, T 1.51M
Andrew Quarless, TE 589,946
Frank Zombo, LB 545,818

Injured Reserve

Desmond Bishop, LB 4.25M
Johnny Jones, DE 277,650

Practice Squad

B.J. Coleman, QB 108,374
Diondre Borel, WR 101,550
Brandon Bostick TE
Andrew Datko, T 108,374
Chris Scott T
Greg Van Roten G
Lawrence Guy, DE 113,025
James Nixon DB

Suspended

Mike Neal, DE 707,591

Off Team

Nick Collins, S 2.00M
Nick Barnett, LB 850,000
Brandon Chillar, LB 800,000
Justin Harrell, DE 530,000
Charlie Peprah, S 125,000

UserPostedImage
wpr
  • wpr
11 years ago

For years, the Green Bay Packers have been rewarded for their fiscal prudence with a certain regularity and peacefulness when it comes to coping with the salary cap.

Adopting a pay as you go philosophy under negotiators Andrew Brandt and now Russ Ball, the Packers almost always have had a wealth of room beneath the cap. In turn, there were precious few players that they couldn't afford to retain.

That harmonious picture could be about to change in 2013.

Presently, 20 players count about $91.4 million against the team's adjusted salary cap of $128.51 million, or 71.1%.

The way it stands now, there are 20 players under contract to Green Bay for next year who are to count about $98.36 million. The unadjusted cap for 2012 is $120.6 million, and projections are that the cap will remain almost flat until 2016.

That doesn't include wide receiver Greg Jennings, either. That's because the two sides are so far apart that it's almost a fait accompli he will depart as an unrestricted free agent in March if he isn't traded first.

Jennings' current cap salary is $7.5 million. If the Packers place the franchise tag on Jennings, the immediate charge on their cap would be about $10 million. If they re-sign Jennings, the cap hit could be massaged in 2013 before the full force of a deal averaging maybe $13 million begins to take effect in 2014.

The gorilla in the board room is David Dunn, the agent whose client list includes quarterback Aaron Rodgers, linebacker Clay Matthews and nose tackle B.J. Raji.

Indications are that the Packers would like to have the contracts of all three players extended by early 2013, quite possibly by the start of the National Football League year in early March.

After this season, Rodgers will have two years left on a 2008 contract that ranks him 12th among quarterbacks in average per year at $12.7 million.

Matthews' original deal expires after the 2013 season. Ditto for Raji, whose option for 2014 will become void.

Using rough estimates, let's say the cap salaries for Rodgers, Matthews and Raji climb by a total of $18 million for 2013. How the Packers decide to accommodate such an increase could impact the team significantly.

"It's a challenge being a good organization like this," defensive end Ryan Pickett said. "They draft well. Pick up good players. Then it's time for everybody to get paid.

"So they have a tough road ahead of them. It's going to take some hard work because we've got so many good players. I hope we can keep everybody together, man, because we've got a chance to keep doing special things around here."

Beyond Jennings, it shouldn't be overly expensive for the Packers to retain their six other unrestricted free agents come March. Running back Cedric Benson will be 30 in December, Erik Walden has Nick Perry in front of him and Donald Driver, who turns 38 in February, probably won't be back.

The crunch will come with Rodgers, Matthews and Raji, three of Ted Thompson's first-round draft choices that have blossomed beyond most expectations.

New Orleans quarterback Drew Brees signed a five-year deal in July with a $37 million signing bonus and $60.5M in guarantees. The Saints held his cap charge to $10.4M in 2012, but it will swell to $17.4M next year and then up to $27.4M in 2016, if he's still playing.

Matthews' current cap charge is an economical $1.98M. Once he's re-signed, his cap charge probably will look like these cap salaries for 3-4 outside linebackers in 2014: Dallas' DeMarcus Ware ($15M), Baltimore's Terrell Suggs ($12.4M), Pittsburgh's LaMarr Woodley ($12.2M) and Kansas City's Tamba Hali ($11.5M).

Raji's cap number for 2012 already is a hefty $5.46M. As the 18th ranked defensive tackle in average per year at $5.2M, it's likely that his cap hit two years from now will about double.

Cornerback Sam Shields, who will be a restricted free agent in March, grimaced when he spoke of the impending crunch.

"Guys come, guys leave," he said. "That's the way it is in this business. But that's something the older dudes tell you not to worry about."

Assuming that Jennings isn't back, the Packers might be forced to sacrifice some players. It's something they haven't had to do much of since guards Mike Wahle and Marco Rivera departed within three days in March 2005.

Safety Charles Woodson will be 36 in October and has two years left on his contract. The Packers would realize $10M in cap savings if he were released early in 2013.

Tight end Jermichael Finley will be entering the final year of his deal next year. If he was cut, the Packers would gain $8.25M beneath the cap.

Other cap savings in 2013 would be $4.8M for Pickett, $3.75M for center Jeff Saturday and $650,000 for linebacker A.J. Hawk provided the Packers take on the full load of his remaining three years in 2013.

Some of those players could be asked to take pay cuts, but how does a team ask players such as Woodson and Pickett to take pay cuts?

It wouldn't be easy, that is for sure.

rest of the story 
UserPostedImage
PackFanWithTwins
11 years ago
I had made a comment elsewhere last year about the Packers SB window. Based much on Rodgers contract. For and MVP QB, we are getting a bargain in price. Teds, signing him early paid off. Had he waited until after Eli signed, it would probably have costed us more. I hope Rodgers is truthful in his comments of How much is enough when it comes to getting paid.

Situations like Brees contrac this last offseason. How much pressure does the NFLPA put on players to hold out of maximum contacts. I can't be the only one who sees that, if Rodgers would sign for say 4 million less a year, that is 4 million that can be used to keep or sign players to be around him. Is being able to say I am the highest paid player at my position worth it. I am sick of hearing guys like Brees talk about it is all about winning championships, and then fight for contracts that don't help their chance of winning another championship.

Will be interesting to see how the packers manage the next couple years. I have seen people complain about the Packers always being one of if not the youngest teams in the NFL. Well along with that youth comes lower salaries and an easier cap.
The world needs ditch diggers too Danny!!!
Zero2Cool
11 years ago
PFT: Packers $7.5 million
UserPostedImage
Wade
  • Wade
  • Veteran Member
11 years ago
Keeping Matthews and Rodgers are no-brainers, essential even at the new-top-of-the-market-price, whatever it ends up being. I dunno, 100 million guaranteed for Rodgers, 75 million guaranteed for Matthews?

Raji, I don't see the big deal. Yeah, he's got potential and is a former first rounder. But he's also got exactly one half year of power performance at this point. If it comes down to Raji v. Jennings, I'd let Raji go. Even if Jennings is lost regardless, I'd still let Raji go.

When are (i) Sitton, (ii) T. Williams, (iii) Masthay,and (iv) J. Jones up again?
And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.
Romans 12:2 (NKJV)
wpr
  • wpr
11 years ago

When are (i) Sitton, (ii) T. Williams, (iii) Masthay,and (iv) J. Jones up again?

Originally Posted by: Wade 

Sitton
9/2/2011: Signed a six-year, $34.95 million contract. The deal contains $8.9 million guaranteed, including a $6 million signing bonus. Annual $300,000 workout bonuses are available in years two through six. 2012: $950,000 (+ $2.4 million roster bonus), 2013: $3.4 million (+ $650,000 roster bonus), 2014: $4.5 million (+ $400,000 roster bonus), 2015: $4.85 million (+ $400,000 roster bonus), 2016: $5.9 million (+ $400,000 roster bonus), 2017: Free Agent

Williams
11/30/2010: Signed a five-year, $38.148 million contract. The deal contains $11.074 million guaranteed, including a $6 million signing bonus. 2012: $2.3 million (+ $2.8 million roster bonus), 2013: $5.9 million (+ $300,000 roster bonus), 2014: $6.9 million (+ $300,000 roster bonus), 2015: Free Agent

Masthay
8/3/2012: Signed a five-year, $6.005 million contract. The deal included a $1.2 million signing bonus. 2012: $540,000, 2013: $765,000, 2014: $900,000, 2015: $1 million, 2016: $1.2 million, 2017: Free Agent

Jones
6/16/2009: Signed a four-year, $1,810,255 contract. The deal included a $60,255 signing bonus. 2012: $615,000, 2013: Free Agent

per rotoworld 

it is not so much when are they free agents. It is look at when their salary spikes and management has to decide are they worth that much money or not.
UserPostedImage
Porforis
11 years ago
Raji is not vital, in that he is not a freak player like Rodgers or Matthews. There are people that can fill his role. The problem is, we absolutely HAVE to fill his role with someone who will produce. Losing Jenkins was huge, and when Raji's been injured the line's been underperforming. We've got great linebackers, but if you don't have big strong bodies up front that require doubleteams, they're just not going to get through as much. We're also going to have problems pushing the offensive line back on running plays.

I can't see Jennings staying, like Wade said Matthews and Rodgers are no-brainers and I hope they stay here for a long, long time. I don't know what the NT and defensive line market's going to be like after this year and I don't pay attention to college football to know who's going to be up in the draft, but if the Packers defense needs help anywhere after this year, it's on the line followed by cornerback. Again, we may be paying Raji more than what he's worth, but he still provides proven value to the team and we've seen what happens when you take him out. Someone that has performed well in the past elsewhere will not necessarily perform well in Green Bay in 2013.
Wade
  • Wade
  • Veteran Member
11 years ago

Sitton
9/2/2011: Signed a six-year, $34.95 million contract. The deal contains $8.9 million guaranteed, including a $6 million signing bonus. Annual $300,000 workout bonuses are available in years two through six. 2012: $950,000 (+ $2.4 million roster bonus), 2013: $3.4 million (+ $650,000 roster bonus), 2014: $4.5 million (+ $400,000 roster bonus), 2015: $4.85 million (+ $400,000 roster bonus), 2016: $5.9 million (+ $400,000 roster bonus), 2017: Free Agent

Williams
11/30/2010: Signed a five-year, $38.148 million contract. The deal contains $11.074 million guaranteed, including a $6 million signing bonus. 2012: $2.3 million (+ $2.8 million roster bonus), 2013: $5.9 million (+ $300,000 roster bonus), 2014: $6.9 million (+ $300,000 roster bonus), 2015: Free Agent

Masthay
8/3/2012: Signed a five-year, $6.005 million contract. The deal included a $1.2 million signing bonus. 2012: $540,000, 2013: $765,000, 2014: $900,000, 2015: $1 million, 2016: $1.2 million, 2017: Free Agent

Jones
6/16/2009: Signed a four-year, $1,810,255 contract. The deal included a $60,255 signing bonus. 2012: $615,000, 2013: Free Agent

per rotoworld 

it is not so much when are they free agents. It is look at when their salary spikes and management has to decide are they worth that much money or not.

Originally Posted by: wpr 

So Sitton and Williams are likely candidates for re-negotiation. Masthay is going to be no factor until 2017. And Jones...oh, crap, Jones is having a career year at the perfect time for him and the worst time for his salary cap number. In the end, it might come down to Jennings v. Jones. Or, worse, losing them both.

And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.
Wade
  • Wade
  • Veteran Member
11 years ago

Raji is not vital, in that he is not a freak player like Rodgers or Matthews. There are people that can fill his role. The problem is, we absolutely HAVE to fill his role with someone who will produce. Losing Jenkins was huge, and when Raji's been injured the line's been underperforming. We've got great linebackers, but if you don't have big strong bodies up front that require doubleteams, they're just not going to get through as much. We're also going to have problems pushing the offensive line back on running plays.

I can't see Jennings staying, like Wade said Matthews and Rodgers are no-brainers and I hope they stay here for a long, long time. I don't know what the NT and defensive line market's going to be like after this year and I don't pay attention to college football to know who's going to be up in the draft, but if the Packers defense needs help anywhere after this year, it's on the line followed by cornerback. Again, we may be paying Raji more than what he's worth, but he still provides proven value to the team and we've seen what happens when you take him out. Someone that has performed well in the past elsewhere will not necessarily perform well in Green Bay in 2013.

Originally Posted by: Porforis 

I don't know. I just don't see them having been worse with Raji out. With Pickett out, yes. But Raji? I dunno.

I agree that they are going to have a hole at DT that needs to be filled. But, IMO, they already have that -- because Pickett isn't going to be around that much longer to bail the DT out and he can't play 60 snaps at nose regardless.

Do they have Raji's replacement for the rest of those 60 DT snaps on the roster now? No. He's the best we've got.

I just don't think he's good enough.

PackFanWithTwins
11 years ago

So Sitton and Williams are likely candidates for re-negotiation. Masthay is going to be no factor until 2017. And Jones...oh, crap, Jones is having a career year at the perfect time for him and the worst time for his salary cap number. In the end, it might come down to Jennings v. Jones. Or, worse, losing them both.

Originally Posted by: Wade 

FYI, The Jones listed is Brad Jones not James.

James just got extened.
7/31/2011: Signed a three-year, $9.4 million contract. The deal included a $1.5 million signing bonus and first-year roster bonus of $950,000. Another $200,000 is available through incentives. 2012: $2.3 million (+ $200,000 roster bonus), 2013: $2.95 million (+ $200,000 roster bonus), 2014: Free Agent

Sitton's contract is to new for renegotiation to help much. Not going to drop his cap number much we still have his pro-rated SB, at most maybe 1 million or 2 savings. Sitton has a very cap friendly structure. Williams might save a little more, but still maybe 2-3 million. I personally don't like restructuring these contracts because it only pushes the hit down the road, except for Woodson, because it would be moving money down the road that he would never receive.
The world needs ditch diggers too Danny!!!
Fan Shout
dfosterf (1h) : Kidding aside, I hope the best for him.
dfosterf (1h) : Went to a Titans board. One comment there. Not very long. I quote: "LOL" They don't sound overly upset about our aquisition.
beast (2h) : OT Dillard has been absolutely horrible... like OG Newman levels
dfosterf (2h) : Suit him up and have him stand in front of the big board as a draft day cautionary tale.
Zero2Cool (3h) : Packers sign T Andre Dillard.
Mucky Tundra (18h) : Adds most of the information this time of year comes from agents.
Mucky Tundra (18h) : @RealAlexBarth Bill Belichick says accurate draft information doesn't leak from teams until about 12 hours before the draft. Adds most of th
Mucky Tundra (18h) : I am very happy that for moment, Jordan Love seems like a normal human being
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : Belichick * whatever
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : "There's a lot of depth at Offensive Tackle and Wide Receiver." Bill Bellichick
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : Thanks! I can't believe it's over haha
Martha Careful (16-Apr) : Congratulations
Zero2Cool (16-Apr) : Boom. Student Loan. $0.00. Only took about 20 years.
Zero2Cool (14-Apr) : Packers DT Kenny Clark: New defensive coordinator Jeff Hafley will 'allow us to be way more disruptive'
Zero2Cool (12-Apr) : Saints have agreed to terms on a contract with former Packers wide receiver Equanimeous St. Brown.
beast (12-Apr) : No, but of it's for legislation, then half of the country will find it evil, not good, whatever it says....
Mucky Tundra (12-Apr) : Draft is still 2 weeks away. UGH
dhazer (11-Apr) : Does anyone know of a good AI generator to create letters of Support for legislation?
Zero2Cool (11-Apr) : Gordon "Red" Batty retires as equipment manager
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Sounds like that's pretty certain now.
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Packers "at" Eagles in Brazil. Week One
dfosterf (10-Apr) : Va' Fazer As Malas Va' !
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Mark Murphy tipping us off?
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : “We’re either the first- or second-most popular team in Brazil.”
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Christian Watson got married. Wife better be careful with those hamstrings!! 😂😂
dfosterf (9-Apr) : Those poor bastards
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Falcons have signed former Packers CB Kevin King, who has been out of football since 2021.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Collectively, we need to spend more time in what we have, when analyzing ostendible needs and historical proclivities
dfosterf (8-Apr) : I say he is better than so many of these draft picks
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Question of the week for me: Has anyone besides me done any deep dive into the potential of Alex McGough, our 3rd string qb?
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Or in Tunsil's case, something gets released day of draft or day before lol
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Seems every year someone does something pre-draft.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Falling down drunk. The draft board
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Allright! Potential character guy/f#×k up pickup in D'Vondre Sweat!
Zero2Cool (7-Apr) : Go Badgers!!!
Martha Careful (6-Apr) : Go Boilermakers!!!
Martha Careful (5-Apr) : Diggs has not stepped up in the playoffs and has a high cost
beast (5-Apr) : Probably not going to let Diggs walk away unless he's horrible... but according to reports he also might not be as good as he used to be.
beast (5-Apr) : The 25th pick in the draft has been an offensive player since 2017, 2 TE, 2 WR, 1 RB, 1 OC
Mucky Tundra (5-Apr) : Odd, why give up a 2025 2nd Rounder for him if you're just gonna let him walk?
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : Texans to let Diggs be free agent in '25
buckeyepackfan (4-Apr) : 49r's aign RB Patrick Taylor.
Martha Careful (4-Apr) : Reversion to the mean would indicate we will keep it
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : It's also been utilized in a trade in 14 of the past 20 years
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : The 25th pick in the draft hasn't been made by it's original holder since 2016.
Mucky Tundra (4-Apr) : Gotta imagine that Green Bay vs Houston will be a primetime game this upcoming season
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : No. Kill QB. No worries. 😁
Mucky Tundra (3-Apr) : Diggs, Collins, Dell and Schultz is gonna be tough to cover
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : Stefon Diggs' trade will not be processed as a post-June 1 designation, so that is just over $31 million in dead cap this year.
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : Bills trading WR Stefon Diggs to the Texans in exchange for a 2025 2nd-round pick. (via @rapsheet)
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
1h / Random Babble / Martha Careful

4h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

6h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

16h / Random Babble / Mucky Tundra

18h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

16-Apr / Random Babble / Martha Careful

15-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

12-Apr / Random Babble / Nonstopdrivel

12-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

11-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.