PackFanWithTwins
11 years ago
Standardized testing, itself is not racist. But I am not sure they are designed the way they should be. I believe testing should be done at least every 2 years 6th grade on.

My kids school, once in middle school, starts two separate learning tracks, Advanced and normal. The main difference is how advanced they two tracks get in Math and Science. You can't test both groups the same at the end when they are not taught the same. The testing should account for this. If a kid is not taught Calc, or Trig, they should not be tested on it.

And testing results should be looked at it like they were for advancing when I was in the Navy. 150 questions, throw out the 25 more answered wrong and 25 most answered correct and score on the remaining 100.

The world needs ditch diggers too Danny!!!
Porforis
11 years ago

Standardized testing, itself is not racist. But I am not sure they are designed the way they should be. I believe testing should be done at least every 2 years 6th grade on.

My kids school, once in middle school, starts two separate learning tracks, Advanced and normal. The main difference is how advanced they two tracks get in Math and Science. You can't test both groups the same at the end when they are not taught the same. The testing should account for this. If a kid is not taught Calc, or Trig, they should not be tested on it.

And testing results should be looked at it like they were for advancing when I was in the Navy. 150 questions, throw out the 25 more answered wrong and 25 most answered correct and score on the remaining 100.

Originally Posted by: PackFanWithTwins 

I graduated from high school in 2005.

IF I remember correctly, there were standardized tests in 8th and 12th grades. There may have been more but I don't recall them.

As I recall, Algebra I and II and Geometry were the only required math classes for any students. Science, I think was just Biology, "Science", and one elective (Astronomy, Chemistry, various others).

I don't remember much about the science portion of the testing but I remember there being only a few Trig questions on the test. There were a few arithmetic, a bunch of algebra and some geometry. There was no calculus.

Obviously, a lot has changed since then but at least back in the day, the vast, vast majority of the testing for 12th grade students was on things the district required all students to take classes on.

One must also examine what these tests are trying to accomplish. Are they meant as a means of measuring of how well schools are teaching the essentials (required classes and subjects), or is there more emphasis on determining what students are learning?
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
11 years ago
Apparently it is not just Chicago schools. Rockford Register Star .

Nearly 70 percent of Rock River Valley schools failed this year under the federal No Child Left Behind Act and its standards.

The results from the annual standardized tests, released today, are better than last year, when 73 percent of schools failed to reach Adequate Yearly Progress (AYP).

State officials say a new system of measuring progress is in the works, but scores may get worse before they get better because they will be based on national benchmarks, which are more rigorous than Illinois’ standards.

However, they add that students are not getting worse, but increased AYP standards are making it difficult to keep pace.

The expectation this year, according to AYP, is that 85 percent of students meet or exceed learning standards. That bar has steadily risen over the years, and by 2014, the expectation is that 100 percent of students will at least meet standards.

It’s a problem across the state, and it’s getting worse. In 2010, 51 percent of public schools were not making Adequate Yearly Progress. This year, it’s at 66 percent of schools and 82 percent of districts.

State Superintendent Christopher Koch said it’s time for a change in education and a change in how student achievement and growth are measured.

“We believe this is the last year we will be reporting (adequate yearly progress) results,” he said.

No Child Left Behind benchmarks require schools to have more students meeting standards each year. Those benchmarks have outpaced student achievement, meaning that more and more schools, each year, aren’t keeping pace.

Eliminating that measurement — and in turn, the “failing” label — is good news. This year, just 31 percent of schools are keeping pace with standardized test benchmarks.

By this time next year, the Elementary and Secondary Education Act (No Child Left Behind) will be reauthorized, or Illinois will have a waiver, so AYP won’t be measured the way it is today.

UserPostedImage
gbguy20
11 years ago
Porforis is right, there is absolutely no advanced math on these tests. It's just the basics.
zombieslayer
11 years ago

I am old enough. Yes, the NAACP has been, for most of its existence, been a good, useful, and noble organization.

Liberal, yes. But liberal hasn't always been a synonym for moron. Not even the modern "statist" sort of liberal. It's only in the last twenty-five years or so that they've degenerated into their current state.

People like Jack Kennedy, Hubert Humphrey, Gene McCarthy -- they were neither idiots like Pelosi and Biden or cynical manipulators like Reid and Obama. Heck, even Lyndon Johnson, the ultimate in traditional bare-knuckle dealmaking politician of the era, had a kind of liberal oomph that today's liberals lack. Many of their ideas were in hindsight pretty bad ones (IMO) , but these were thoughtful, reasonable men who simply did not have enough empirical evidence of the failure of welfare statism to realize that their ideas of social democracy were bad ones. They were still in an era where the Beveridge recommendations could be seen as the height of innovation for the common good. And they would have been appalled at the people now holding the liberal torch.

I'm not a liberal, not even of the Kennedy/Humphrey/McCarthy sort. I only voted lib in one fed election. (My first, when I voted for Gene McCarthy as a 3rd party candidate after almost killing him on Minnesota highways after picking him up at the Rochester airport.)

I blame Ted Kennedy, Tip O'Neill, Christopher Dodd, and Jesse Jackson for dumbing down liberal thinking. And partly I blame Reagan, because he reduced principled conservatism to "oh shucks" and "there you go again" and did it so successfully that both parties went with superficial populism and know-nothingism. Without them, idiots such as Pelosi and lightweights like Obama, and bad thinkers like Bernanke would never have made it to the national stage.

And of course the Ted Kennedys and Tip O'Neills and Chris Dodds would not have had that influence had the evil ideas of John Dewey and Andrew Carnegie about mass education taken control of the primary/secondary ed system.

But yes, gbguy20, the NAACP was once a respectable organization.

Originally Posted by: Wade 

Holy smokes, Wade!

I never expected someone to think that closely to what I thought about liberals and conservatives.

And the NAACP. It's a shame the NAACP is what it is today as it was MUCH needed back then.

I loved JFK, hated what came after (LBJ's good intentions paved the way to Hell and led to the Pelosi's and the Biden's). And yes, I hate Ronald Reagan. I always get into arguments with people who THINK they're conservatives and they love Reagan. I simply tell them - "run the numbers. If you run the numbers, you'll find your hero Reagan is not a conservative and really an uber-liberal of the worst kind." Then they get all butt hurt as I just insulted their God.
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage
(thanks to Pack93z for the pic)
2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. 🇹🇹 🇲🇲 🇦🇷
zombieslayer
11 years ago

Porforis is right, there is absolutely no advanced math on these tests. It's just the basics.

Originally Posted by: gbguy20 

My son said the tests were easy.
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage
Porforis
11 years ago
I heard on WTMJ a month or two back that Wisconsin's scores were pretty pitiful too. I don't remember the exact numbers but it was over 50% failure IIRC.

Despite being a very tech-heavy person, I appreciate growing up in a world where the internet was there, but until later on in high school it wasn't a primary means of communication or information gathering. I had the opportunity to have to research from books and encyclopdias and while it's certainly inefficient nowadays, it's nice having that perspective. I have some concern for the generation that will grow up with computers and smartphones attached to the hip, where texting and IMing is used just as much as face to face conversation and the internet completely replaces books and other physical forms of information. Cheating has got to be incredibly widespread, especially in high schools... And you've got to wonder how in the long term, the human brain will adjust to a world where you're constantly stimulated and amused and if you need to know something, you simply look it up on the internet. Knowledge retention isn't as valued or valuable as it once was, and some of that is going to reflect in testing.
Porforis
11 years ago

Originally Posted by: zombieslayer 

They were easy for me too (I think I was in the 95th+ percentile in everything but math and english for the ACTs), but I always tested well (especially with multiple choice). It was more free-form assignments and worksheets that I tended to struggle with. Some people simply do not test well, it's not necessarily indicative of a deficient level of knowledge or intelligence.
gbguy20
11 years ago

Originally Posted by: zombieslayer 

They are. The issue with students today is NOT the schools teaching, it is the fact that they don't give enough of a shit to bother learning anything.

The kids who care, do fine on these tests. The rest should just be kicked out and left to fend for themselves.
zombieslayer
11 years ago

They were easy for me too (I think I was in the 95th+ percentile in everything but math and english for the ACTs), but I always tested well (especially with multiple choice). It was more free-form assignments and worksheets that I tended to struggle with. Some people simply do not test well, it's not necessarily indicative of a deficient level of knowledge or intelligence.

Originally Posted by: Porforis 

Yup. And honestly, straight up intelligence is overrated. Quick story.

I know a guy, let's call him Akmed, who's a fucking idiot. (Pardon my French). People made fun of him all his life for being stupid and his father even calls him stupid in front of his friends. No, not making this up.

He now runs a pool cleaning business. He owns several houses, one in a very expensive neighborhood, and has 10 or 11 employees. He's a paper millionaire.

But he really is dumb. But he sure knows how to apply the little brains he has to real life.

Doing better than I am and I'm actually a Mensa member (don't laugh VR). I made hundreds of thousands in software stock and re-invested into things that completely tanked and lost it all. I got NO common sense and if it wasn't for my wife, I'd be in trouble. I scored 9th grade in Math when I was in 3rd grade. The tests were different than what my son takes today. I don't know what they're called, but they weren't mandatory. They were to see where you placed for your own good, not the government's.

I got several friends in Mensa who are doing much, much worse. One lives in a property that is so bad that the city came in and confiscated their dogs because the property wasn't fit for dogs. Seriously.

But Akmed's doing great. And he's stupid. I mean, really stupid.

The irony of it all, one of his tenants is his father.
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
dfosterf (11h) : Maybe
Mucky Tundra (12h) : Yes
Zero2Cool (13h) : No.
Mucky Tundra (15h) : End of a Degu-era
dhazer (16h) : Steelers sign Patterson because of new kickoff rule interesting
Zero2Cool (18h) : Former #Packers TE Josiah Deguara is signing a 1-year deal with the Jaguars, per source.
Zero2Cool (19h) : They do not do it for "content sake".
dfosterf (28-Mar) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (27-Mar) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (27-Mar) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Against tbd
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (27-Mar) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (27-Mar) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (27-Mar) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
7h / Around The NFL / beast

12h / Green Bay Packers Talk / buckeyepackfan

28-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

28-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.