gbguy20
11 years ago
Fucking pathetic that a father would do that to his son.
Porforis
11 years ago
Oh boy, my last job was full of people with tons of brain but no work ethic or common sense. Knowledge is useless if you don't know how to apply it to real life.
zombieslayer
11 years ago

Fucking pathetic that a father would do that to his son.

Originally Posted by: gbguy20 

I agree, but his father isn't all there. And as weird as this sounds, some folk do better when they got a chip on their shoulder. He proved the world that while he may have a room temperature IQ, he's got more street smarts than any of those "smart people" in the room.
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage
(thanks to Pack93z for the pic)
2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. 🇹🇹 🇲🇲 🇦🇷
vikesrule
11 years ago

... and I'm actually a Mensa member (don't laugh VR)...

Originally Posted by: zombieslayer 

I would never laugh at you my amigo....for whenever you post anything, it makes me think of Schrödinger's cat. [grin1]

Cheesey
11 years ago

I would never laugh at you my amigo....for whenever you post anything, it makes me think of Schrödinger's cat. [grin1]

Originally Posted by: vikesrule 

Wow.....if it wasn't for the TV show "The Big Bang Theory", i wouldn't have had any idea what you were talking about![grin1]
UserPostedImage
Wade
  • Wade
  • Veteran Member
11 years ago
That "every four year" test everyone remembers is probably the Iowa Test of Basic Skills.

Like zombieslayer, I always blew them away, being 8th grade in 4th, 12th grade in 8th, etc. And math even higher.

What those kind of tests, like the SAT/ACT/LSAT/basic GREs that people take, are supposed to measure is aptitude for particular modes of thinking. The verbal tests aren't tests of how much you read, but of how well you take information out of what you read and use it. The "math" tests aren't testing math "knowledge" as much as they are testing your ability to think in a particular logical manner (almost always deductive rather than inductive).

And, were they used for that only, they would still have value.

The problem is two-fold.

First, they aren't used just as a measure of aptitude but as a measure of realizable ability. Aptitude is what one has the potential for doing at that moment in time -- ability is how much, given your discipline and your experience to date, you can make by fulfilling that potential. When I scored really high on my "math" tests it said I have some above-average potential for manipulate concepts logically. It didn't say I could be a PhD in mathematical economics. It said I had certain thinking potential that makes it easier for me to follow an income statement or balance my checkbook. It said nothing about whether I had the ability to generate more wealth or be financially responsible.

The second, and IMO the bigger problem with those tests, is that they are viewed by most as a measure of "achievement." When I scored 12th grade on the 8th grade math test (would have done higher, but the scoring at the time didn't allow for bigger than "12"), that wasn't because I had somehow managed through being that annoying kid who every teacher liked to "learn" how to do more math. It was because I had been exposed to that math enough that I could put my "logical skills" to work on particular kinds of problems. Again, it was talking about my potential. It, and the tests that came after like the SAT and the GRE, were just pointing out the same thing: that my mind works in particular ways that, if I apply it to certain kinds of situations I'm not going to make certain illogical jumps as readily as another might.

It said nothing, just like those later tests said nothing, about how far along I was and how ready I was to encounter certain kinds of problems. That's why I followed my 99th percentile SAT with college performance that was near the top (I was ready for college level problems) and that's why I followed my 99th percentile GRE with near-failing grad school performance (I wasn't ready for graduate level economic problems).

Or, for a more relevant and important example, this confusion of "aptitude" with "achievement"is what's wrong with No Child Left Behind. The problem isn't that NCLB emphasizes testing -- testing can be excellent as an assessment tool. (In fact, IMO, that is the ONLY possible justification for 90% of testing that we purport to do.) The problem is that NCLB uses the test results as an indicator of what students and their teachers are "achieving."

Which is utter bullshit. You can, by writing the questions well, test content acquisition and memory. Have they learned the definition of opportunity cost? Do they know the years of the Civil War? Do they know what the Constitution says? Yes, we can test that.

But who the eff cares? What we want to know is if they know the significance of opportunity cost or the Civil War. What we want to know is if they know why the Constitution says what it does the way it does. And those things, those higher order thinking skills? At best we can measure the capacity for thinking ("aptitude"); we can't measure in some "objective" way how well someone is likely to realize their capacity.

IMO the people who speak of cultural bias in the questions are correct. The word choice in any test question is inevitably going to be more accessible to some readers than to others, and some of that accessibility is going to be due to cultural differences. Unquestionably.

They're correct that there is cultural bias. And they're completely missing the point.

It isn't pure "objective and unbiased" aptitude that matters (even if there were such a thing, which there isn't). What matters is the ability and discipline to put that aptitude to work well. And part of what determines whether we have such ability and discipline is our ability to catch and use the cultural hints that language signals to us. What we need to develop in the student is the practice of putting their natural potential to work within the culture. If you can't recognize cultural signals and put your logical/reading/etc aptitudes to work within the culture at hand, then you aren't ever going to be anything better than a tourist. You aren't going to have a clue.

If you don't like something about a culture, fine. I get that. I really do. There are some things that I absolutely detest about the culture(s) within which I work and live. But I don't get to say "I don't like it, therefore it shall be gone." The most I can do is either leave it for a culture I like better or convince others in it to change it. And the only way I can do the latter is if I can recognize the signals within my cultural environment somehow and then bring my 99th percentile aptitudes to bear upon them as an agent of change.

And if I can't do that, those aptitudes mean nothing.

(As, ahem, my adult life has proven. I'm the classic "lots of aptitude without being able to translate it into anything important.")

The significant thing about my past is not that I regularly got great test scores. It is that I haven't been able to do much of anything with the aptitudes those test scores revealed. I'm not a success. I'm a fuck-up. I'm just another pimple in the forest of acne that is higher education today.

And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.
Romans 12:2 (NKJV)
dfosterf
11 years ago
I applauded you, but please don't confuse that applause point with the idea that I might agree with some of your conclusions about yourself.

I personally feel that you are an incredibly impressive individual, and that is a no shitter, friend.

Edit- again- no shitter-

Go get a large main dog. I have had many dogs, loved every one of them, you have a profound need for a long-haired Chessie. (That's a Chesapeake Bay, btw) Trust me on this, ignore all other posters 🤣

Go on a diet. Again. Don't care if you lose pound one, but you will, see dog recommendation.

Get yourself a girl. This one is touchy, as I can't decide if you need an Asian hottie or an intellectual juggernaught. It's a near thing, based on the information available to me. Personally, I'd lean toward the hottie, as I figure you could always trade up if needed, lol

Joking, but dayum, kinda serious also.

Porforis applauded me prior to my edit, so take that under advisement.
zombieslayer
11 years ago

I applauded you, but please don't confuse that applause point with the idea that I might agree with some of your conclusions about yourself.

I personally feel that you are an incredibly impressive individual, and that is a no shitter, friend.

Edit- again- no shitter-

Go get a large main dog. I have had many dogs, loved every one of them, you have a profound need for a long-haired Chessie. (That's a Chesapeake Bay, btw) Trust me on this, ignore all other posters 🤣

Go on a diet. Again. Don't care if you lose pound one, but you will, see dog recommendation.

Get yourself a girl. This one is touchy, as I can't decide if you need an Asian hottie or an intellectual juggernaught. It's a near thing, based on the information available to me. Personally, I'd lean toward the hottie, as I figure you could always trade up if needed, lol

Joking, but dayum, kinda serious also.

Porforis applauded me prior to my edit, so take that under advisement.

Originally Posted by: dfosterf 

If Wade gets himself a girl, she better be a divorcee over 30. Why? Because Wade's a nice guy to a point of fault. Great for his guy friends, but a girl under 30 will exploit him, use him up, and throw him out. A divorcee over 30 will appreciate him.
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage
(thanks to Pack93z for the pic)
2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. 🇹🇹 🇲🇲 🇦🇷
DakotaT
11 years ago

If Wade gets himself a girl, she better be a divorcee over 30. Why? Because Wade's a nice guy to a point of fault. Great for his guy friends, but a girl under 30 will exploit him, use him up, and throw him out. A divorcee over 30 will appreciate him.

Originally Posted by: zombieslayer 

Plus she'll be coming into her sexual prime and really treat Mr. Wade the way he deserves.

UserPostedImage
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
11 years ago

Plus she'll be coming into her sexual prime and really treat Mr. Wade the way he deserves.

Originally Posted by: DakotaT 

careful, that could kill him.
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
dfosterf (2h) : Maybe
Mucky Tundra (2h) : Yes
Zero2Cool (3h) : No.
Mucky Tundra (5h) : End of a Degu-era
dhazer (6h) : Steelers sign Patterson because of new kickoff rule interesting
Zero2Cool (9h) : Former #Packers TE Josiah Deguara is signing a 1-year deal with the Jaguars, per source.
Zero2Cool (10h) : They do not do it for "content sake".
dfosterf (20h) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (27-Mar) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (27-Mar) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Against tbd
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (27-Mar) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (27-Mar) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (27-Mar) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
2h / Green Bay Packers Talk / buckeyepackfan

20h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

20h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Around The NFL / dhazer

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.