Zero2Cool
11 years ago
I was going to write up a quick game by game when key players were coming back, but I think this article does a better job of that.

Green Bay - Mike McCarthy would never admit it but, if truth be told, this season probably is unfolding just about the way he hoped it would.

It's midseason, and if the playoff picture of today would be the same two months from now, the Green Bay Packers would open on the road as one of two wild-card teams in the NFC.

That's the same route that the Packers took to their Super Bowl championship in 2010, as did two other teams - Pittsburgh (2005) and the New York Giants ('07) - in the last seven years.

Most importantly, at least in McCarthy's eyes, he would have a fresher team under his command than the one that laid an egg in January against the Giants at Lambeau Field.

In that game, the Packers turned the ball over four times, couldn't make a big play on offense and were chewed up on defense.

Everybody could see that.

There was an emotional factor as well. The son of offensive coordinator Joe Philbin was laid to rest 48 hours before kickoff.

McCarthy talked to a sports psychologist looking for answers. What effect, if any, the drowning death of Michael Philbin had on players never can be quantified.

After a few weeks of post-mortems on the team, McCarthy looked ahead.

"When something happens you've got to be critical of yourself," he said last month. "How can we play better at the end of the season? That's what Mike McCarthy asks himself every day."

The more McCarthy thought about it, the more he kept coming back to the energy and fitness level of the players that were overrun by the Giants, both physically and mentally.

Yes, the Packers were relieved to have off the opening weekend of the playoffs by virtue of their 15-1 regular season and No. 1 seeding. But remember what players often say: Once the hitting starts in training camp, you're never 100% fit until the off-season arrives and one's body has time to heal.

In February, McCarthy and Dom Capers, his defensive coordinator, had an extensive conversation about how to improve what had been a lousy defense. They looked at playing-time totals for players from scrimmage and on special teams, and neither liked what they saw.

Together, they reached the conclusion that too many players had played too many snaps before their most important game of the season against New York.

"I looked at the reps," McCarthy said. "Eleven guys played 1,000 reps. We're not built that way.

"Our whole February conversation was, 'OK, how can we get better with these guys?' "

Click Bob for rest of article...

Bob McGinn  wrote:

UserPostedImage
nerdmann
11 years ago
It's panning out nicely, because they played so efficiently in the last game?
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
buckeyepackfan
11 years ago
Ask yourself these 3 questions.

#1. What if anything did you learn about the 2007,2010, & 2011 seasons?

#2. Did they win? (last week)

#3. Would you rather have The Packers play a game like last week in week 8 or in the 1st rnd of the playoffs?

No team is going to be hitting on all cylinders every week, especially when they are dealing with the multiple injuries to both the offense and defense as this years Packers are.

"Strive for perfection and you will achieve excellence along the way"
Vince Lombardi

That doesn't say be perfect, because even Vince Lombardi knew perfection is not 100% attainable.
I was addicted to The Hokey Pokey, but I turned myself around!
LambeauEast
11 years ago
I just read this before signing on, and it's something I never really gave too much thought about. Although I think last year's defense was bad enough that "fresh legs" for that first playoff game wouldn't have mattered too much, I can see where snap counts could help this year's defense...and offense too.

And yes, I would prefer the Packers to play a game like last week in week 8, as opposed to the first playoff game.
UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
11 years ago

It's panning out nicely, because they played so efficiently in the last game?

Originally Posted by: nerdmann 

Efficient enough to win and if that doesn't matter, why play at all?
UserPostedImage
nyrpack
11 years ago
all good teams win ugly at times, were rolling right now and have to keep it up !!
jimmy b.
RajiRoar
11 years ago

Efficient enough to win and if that doesn't matter, why play at all?

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

* a win over the Jaguars does not mean much.

you can throw around the "any given sunday" mentality, but they (Jags) are awful.

given that neither our D or O have been very consistant, while a win is a win is a win, struggling againt a low-end team should still be concerning.

MintBaconDrivel
Dec, 11, 2012 - FOREVER!
Zero2Cool
11 years ago

* a win over the Jaguars does not mean much.

you can throw around the "any given sunday" mentality, but they (Jags) are awful.

given that neither our D or O have been very consistant, while a win is a win is a win, struggling againt a low-end team should still be concerning.

Originally Posted by: RajiRoar 

Win over the Falcons or Jaguars counts the exact same. 1 W. Wins are what count. Do not let people who think team A should blow out team B minimize the value of ... a WIN! That's adsorb and shameful to do. By no count am I saying they couldn't do better, they could, they will and have to. Bottom line, the object is to score MORE points than the opponent in any legal means necessary. The Packers did that against the Jaguars. Thus, there is a REASON they PLAY the GAMES. You just never know what the outcome will be. And proof of that is my NFL weekley pick'em picks! hahaha
UserPostedImage
nerdmann
11 years ago

Ask yourself these 3 questions.

#1. What if anything did you learn about the 2007,2010, & 2011 seasons?

#2. Did they win? (last week)

#3. Would you rather have The Packers play a game like last week in week 8 or in the 1st rnd of the playoffs?

No team is going to be hitting on all cylinders every week, especially when they are dealing with the multiple injuries to both the offense and defense as this years Packers are.

"Strive for perfection and you will achieve excellence along the way"
Vince Lombardi

That doesn't say be perfect, because even Vince Lombardi knew perfection is not 100% attainable.

Originally Posted by: buckeyepackfan 

Vince Lombardi would NOT have been satisfied with that performance.

His teams, unlike MM's teams, did not shit themselves regularly.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Zero2Cool
11 years ago

Vince Lombardi would NOT have been satisfied with that performance.

His teams, unlike MM's teams, did not shit themselves regularly.

Originally Posted by: nerdmann 

No one should be "satisfied" with the performance, but talking it down as a loss is just spoiled ass brat syndrome. Good teams win the close games, regardless if YOU feel they should be close or not.
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
dhazer (24m) : Steelers sign Patterson because of new kickoff rule interesting
Zero2Cool (3h) : Former #Packers TE Josiah Deguara is signing a 1-year deal with the Jaguars, per source.
Zero2Cool (4h) : They do not do it for "content sake".
dfosterf (14h) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (21h) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (22h) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (22h) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Against tbd
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (27-Mar) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (27-Mar) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (27-Mar) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
beast (25-Mar) : Simply fined in the week to follow
beast (25-Mar) : I agree with one NFL official, it'll probably be like some of the helmets hits, not really called by the refs on the field but simply fined
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Hip drop is not. Super confusing. Referees job is harder
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Swivel hip drop is banned
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
14h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

14h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

14h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

21h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Around The NFL / dhazer

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.