Pack93z
  • Pack93z
  • Select Member Topic Starter
11 years ago
Ahhh... bring back such sweet memories.. glad to see there is still some grudges from the Monsters of the Midway.

Dent is probably right.. but fanning the flames is still fun.

Richard Dent blames Mike Ditka 

Mike Ditka refused to engage in a war of words with Hall of Fame defensive Richard Dent, who said Wednesday that Ditka was the reason the 1985 Chicago Bears didn't repeat as Super Bowl champions.

After winning Super Bowl XX to cap a 15-1 season with one of the greatest defenses of all time, the Bears looked poised to challenge for another one in '86. But a controversial hit by Green Bay Packers defensive lineman Charles Martin ended Jim McMahon's season in Week 12 with the Bears at 10-2.

The Bears finished the regular season 14-2, but after having Mike Tomczak and Steve Fuller back up McMahon during the regular season, Ditka turned to Doug Flutie in the playoffs. Flutie went 11 of 31 for 134 yards with a touchdown and two interceptions in a playoff loss to the Washington Redskins.

"More than anything, Mike didn't manage that quarterback position," Dent said on WSCR-670 (AM). "Bringing Doug Flutie in and thinking that he's gonna come in and be on a team for three weeks and start him in a playoff game? Hell, I mean you're trying to change the name on the Super Bowl trophy to Mike Ditka (from) Vince Lombardi when you do something like that.

"We had won with Tomczak and Fuller. That's all we needed to do is stay with that plan. Then you bring a guy off the street."

Ditka said the accusation from Dent was nothing new.

"He's done it many times," Ditka told ESPNChicago.com's Melissa Isaacson. "I have no idea (why he's doing it again now).

"I think lot of times you gotta consider the source. I never get too upset about it. It doesn't bother me. I don't know what it is, I really don't. It's been 28 years ago that we won it and I could care less."

"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
zombieslayer
11 years ago
Mike Tomzcak was awful. In '86, the year Dent mentioned, Tomzcak threw 2 TDs vs 10 INTs. Really Dent?

Steve Fuller wasn't much better. Yes, Flutie was right off the street, but he could throw a football better than Tomzcak and Fuller COMBINED. Heck, my Grandma throws better than Mike Tomzcak. Tomzcak was the precursor to Wrecks G***sm*n.
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage
(thanks to Pack93z for the pic)
2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. 🇹🇹 🇲🇲 🇦🇷
nyrpack
11 years ago
ditka is more a fun personality then a great football mind, he did a good job with the bears in 85 , but with that defense most guys could have won the superbowl that year !!
jimmy b.
Wade
  • Wade
  • Veteran Member
11 years ago

ditka is more a fun personality then a great football mind, he did a good job with the bears in 85 , but with that defense most guys could have won the superbowl that year !!

Originally Posted by: nyrpack 

Except for Norm Van Brocklin, Bud Grant, Les Steckel, Jerry Burns, Dennis Green, Mike Tice, Brad Childress, and Leslie Frazier, that is.

[grin1]
And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.
Romans 12:2 (NKJV)
Cheesey
11 years ago
Well....many of the Packer players blame Holmgren for losing SB 32.

I guess you take the "attaboys" along with the "YOU SUCK!"[grin1]
UserPostedImage
zombieslayer
11 years ago

Well....many of the Packer players blame Holmgren for losing SB 32.

I guess you take the "attaboys" along with the "YOU SUCK!"[grin1]

Originally Posted by: Cheesey 

If one person tells a story, I take it with a grain of salt.

If everyone tells the same story, then I tend to believe it.

I know this is a weird example, but let's take Oasis. Remember that English band from the 90s? Well, there are two brothers - Liam and Noel. They used to fight all the time. They broke up a few years back and haven't talked to each other since.

Everyone says Noel is the asshole and is still friends with Liam. So if I had to put my $$$ down, I'd say that Noel is the asshole.

Same applies to Holmgren. I've heard from not one, but several Packer players that Holmgren lost it at half-time and just started yelling at the Packer players instead of making the necessary half-time adjustments. When I saw Brett Favre's face after the game, it made sense. He took off his jersey like he was ashamed to be a Packer.

Thus is one HUGE plus to 🇲🇲. Mike never loses it. He gets scared. He gets nervous. But he doesn't take it out on the players. He always has his players' backs. Had Mike been in that situation, I could guarantee you Mike would have adjusted. The adjustments I would have made would have been to rotate (to rest) the front 4 DL (they were exhausted and worthless by the end of the game), put 7 or 8 men in the box and force Elway to beat us. Elway wasn't (and never was) an elite passer. An elite QB, yes, but his passing was never very accurate. Compare Aikman and Elway's passing and Aikman smoked Elway, and Aikman wasn't even the most accurate passer back then. Steve Young and Favre were both better.

Holmgren didn't do any of that. He just kept the same stupid setup while lowering everyone's morale and managed to get us our only SB loss ever.

I'll probably forgive him in a few more decades. Right now, not yet.
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
11 years ago

Thus is one HUGE plus to 🇲🇲. Mike never loses it. He gets scared. He gets nervous. But he doesn't take it out on the players. He always has his players' backs. Had Mike been in that situation, I could guarantee you Mike would have adjusted.

Originally Posted by: zombieslayer 

I bet everyone thought the same thing about Mike Holmgren too, until he left the Packers and several years later people started freely speaking about their former coach/boss.

I do think Mike McCarthy has more self control than Mike Holmgren, but we've heard reports of McCarthy lashing out hard on the players during half time already. I also think Holmgren was more ego driven than McCarthy.
UserPostedImage
zombieslayer
11 years ago

I bet everyone thought the same thing about Mike Holmgren too, until he left the Packers and several years later people started freely speaking about their former coach/boss.

I do think Mike McCarthy has more self control than Mike Holmgren, but we've heard reports of McCarthy lashing out hard on the players during half time already. I also think Holmgren was more ego driven than McCarthy.

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

Mike is about accountability and availability, which from a coach's perspective I completely agree with. Lashing out on one individual player I actually agree with. If you do boneheaded things, you should be yelled at. But the people who are doing things right should be praised.

Now, to yell at the entire team and lower everyone's morale, HUGE difference. If it's an individual person being a dumbass, you can pull them and put the #2 guy in there. You can't eject your team.

I don't think I wrote what I put above very well because I didn't differentiate the two.

I see Mike McCarthy being a Packers coach for much longer than Holmgren did. I also see Mike McCarthy having considerably more titles.
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
dfosterf (2h) : Maybe
Mucky Tundra (2h) : Yes
Zero2Cool (3h) : No.
Mucky Tundra (5h) : End of a Degu-era
dhazer (6h) : Steelers sign Patterson because of new kickoff rule interesting
Zero2Cool (9h) : Former #Packers TE Josiah Deguara is signing a 1-year deal with the Jaguars, per source.
Zero2Cool (10h) : They do not do it for "content sake".
dfosterf (20h) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (27-Mar) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (27-Mar) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Against tbd
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (27-Mar) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (27-Mar) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (27-Mar) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
2h / Green Bay Packers Talk / buckeyepackfan

21h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

21h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Around The NFL / dhazer

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.